[Today at 12:47:11 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: WAYY Too Early Impressions  (Read 11057 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: WAYY Too Early Impressions
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2021, 10:29:02 PM »
It sounds like the major worry is this team getting buckets.  Can we get three double digit scorers?  Maybe someone on the perimeter emerges?  In our half-court offense where are options one and two?

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2021, 10:37:29 PM »

As for players:
Lewis:  Put on a good amount of weight.  He appears a bit slower, but once he’s moving but with the ball he’s fluid.  He’s clearly the Man for now.

I was told from someone directly affiliated with the team that JLew has dropped over 20 Lbs from his playing weight last year and worked extremely hard on his body all off-season to get quicker and in peak shape.

It was apparent to me at the STH practice and tonight that his body is more defined than last year.

Completely disagree that he put on weight and is slower this year. He is more muscular but not slower.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2021, 10:53:13 PM »
I think people are sleeping on OMP a bit...wouldn't surprise me if he was 2 or 3 on the team in scoring. 

If that is the case, he either takes a HUGE leap, or this is a terrible team.  I really like OMP and think his ceiling is really high.  He's got the tools, but he's just raw and still doesn't seem to know how to best use his body yet.

I was told from someone directly affiliated with the team that JLew has dropped over 20 Lbs from his playing weight last year and worked extremely hard on his body all off-season to get quicker and in peak shape.

It was apparent to me at the STH practice and tonight that his body is more defined than last year.

Completely disagree that he put on weight and is slower this year. He is more muscular but not slower.

I didn't mean he put on weight and looked fat, but he's noticeably bigger.  That could be tons of muscle and definition, but he was definitely lankier last year.

And I said he appeared slower until he moved with the ball.  I don't think he looked slow at all in actual action, but he just appeared bigger in size and a bit heavier of foot.  I didn't mean it as a negative at all cause he did a lot nice tonight.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2021, 10:56:48 PM »
Mitchell was the most impressive to me. Kolek a close second. Mitchell is an absolutely pest defensively and has some great speed and explosion. Makes everyone better.

Individual defense is great. Team defense there are still some lapses. There were a lot of times that Bowie state was left with open looks that they either didn't make or didn't take. A D1 team would have taken all those open shots and a Big East team would have made most of them.

We are very good when we can push the ball, which we attempt to do every change we get. When it gets into the halfcourt offense...you can see what they are trying to do but they aren't executing at a high level yet. More than a few miscommunications that led to careless turnovers.

Excited to see how they look against a D1 team on Tuesday! One thing I can say with certainty is that we won't be boring to watch!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2021, 11:36:33 PM »
Thanks Wags, TAMU and others for sharing your observations.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2021, 11:59:06 PM »
Some empty calories tonight, for sure. Halfcourt offense got them some good looks they just missed. On defense they did a decent job of staying connected, making the right switches, but the halfcourt zone looks were pretty rough at times in the second half.

The smarter basketball minds will have to correct me if I'm way off... but the zone press look they showed tonight, while exciting, could be a real issue if Kur is unavailable. He covered up some gaps that BSU found fairly easily (when they didn't turn it over).

In terms of the players... I really loved what Kolek and Mitchell did. Both read the game well and made good decisions. Kolek's vision and passing ability surprised me.

But overall... Man, that was fun. The ball moved. They played with great energy and enthusiasm. It was exciting to watch. And it'll be great for Shaka and staff, since there will be plenty of teachable moments on film.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2021, 12:39:20 AM »
Can they stop at scoring 59 and save points for future games?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2021, 06:59:59 AM »

If that is the case, he either takes a HUGE leap, or this is a terrible team.  I really like OMP and think his ceiling is really high.  He's got the tools, but he's just raw and still doesn't seem to know how to best use his body yet.
Good size, a nice stroke, and a year's experience at Clemson.  I think he and JL are the only two players that can consistently hit from 3 but also get to the rim and finish.  We'll see...he played really well in the scrimmage, which was obviously against better talent.  I do think MU will have issues scoring this year.  Not sure what Shaka had planned for GE but his absence likely hurts in the scoring category as well.

JL has put serious work in on his game.  Euro step, improved 3 ball, etc... He's easily their best option on offense. 

Did I mention how great it was to have Shaka on the sidelines and not Wojo.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 07:02:10 AM by avid1010 »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2021, 07:20:25 AM »
Good size, a nice stroke, and a year's experience at Clemson.  I think he and JL are the only two players that can consistently hit from 3 but also get to the rim and finish.  We'll see...he played really well in the scrimmage, which was obviously against better talent.  I do think MU will have issues scoring this year.  Not sure what Shaka had planned for GE but his absence likely hurts in the scoring category as well.

JL has put serious work in on his game.  Euro step, improved 3 ball, etc... He's easily their best option on offense. 

Did I mention how great it was to have Shaka on the sidelines and not Wojo.

It's a concern if we cannot get consistent scoring from our backcourt.  We need our top four/five  perimeter players to net somewhere close to the 40 ppg number imo.  It sounds like this could be a challenge and an issue.  Can either Kolek or Morsell drop 12 to 14 ppg? 

Boone

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2021, 08:01:53 AM »
Just one exhibition game vs poor opponent but love the way Kuath plays. Hope he continues to disprove the Theo theory that rebounding and blocking shots must be mutually exclusive

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2021, 08:18:52 AM »
Did Joplin play?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2021, 08:20:02 AM »
Yes.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2021, 08:57:13 AM »
Did Joplin play?

Yes, looked very much like a freshman but he's got good size and wasn't completely lost out there.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2021, 09:09:55 AM »
Could have broken the hundo mark but the walk ons couldn't get it in on the last possession. Cameron Brown had an open 3 in the corner and missed, Kennedy got the rebound but couldn't make the putback go in, Joplin (IIRC) got the board and kicked to an open Carney on the wing for a three and it missed. Was really hoping that they would get their bucket
TAMU

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2021, 09:13:03 AM »
Oh I forgot, Shaka wearing a shirt so long it could be a smock. The anti-Buzz.
Was it tucked in?
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2021, 09:23:36 AM »
And it'll be great for Shaka and staff, since there will be plenty of teachable moments on film.

there is no film

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2021, 09:31:18 AM »
Is there a box score anywhere?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
TAMU

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2021, 09:44:42 AM »
I take nothing from this game
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2021, 10:00:32 AM »
MU did well in the most important statistical category, FT%.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2021, 10:00:42 AM »

Awesome, thanks for the input!

Much more fun to quibble about hypotheticals or repeat the same stale tropes rather than discuss actual on the court play with a hefty grain of salt (which everyone here has clearly noted)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2021, 10:01:10 AM »
14-41 from 3.   Mostly open looks. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2021, 10:08:02 AM »
It's a concern if we cannot get consistent scoring from our backcourt.  We need our top four/five  perimeter players to net somewhere close to the 40 ppg number imo.  It sounds like this could be a challenge and an issue.  Can either Kolek or Morsell drop 12 to 14 ppg?
Morsell played 4 years at Maryland with pretty similar numbers in years 1-4...9 ppg. 

I didn't see Kolek get to the rim once last night against crap competition.  He'll hit the open 3...not sure if he can score inside the arc.

I think they will play 4 out, and at times, 5 out.  I see OMP scoring for us...but others don't agree with that.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2021, 10:10:11 AM »

I said something similar to my teenager who followed with, well it sure is nice to crush the teams that we are supposed to crush. Sure beats only winning by ten or even losing.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 10:11:42 AM by 21Jumpstreet »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2021, 10:11:45 AM »

feedback