Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka gets some praise from Andy Katz  (Read 3087 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Shaka gets some praise from Andy Katz
« on: January 28, 2022, 02:55:12 PM »
#3 on his best new coaches list.

3. Shaka Smart, Marquette: Smart is in the perfect spot for him: A basketball-centric school. He did win the Big 12 tournament at Texas. So it’s not like he didn’t have success. But he thrived at VCU. Now, he’s done quite a reversal within the season. The Golden Eagles have wins over Illinois, Providence, Seton Hall and at Villanova. They are going not just be in but get a good seed.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/andy-katz-basketball/2022-01-28/mens-basketball-ranking-top-10-new-coaches-andy-katz
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 03:00:00 PM by Pakuni »

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Shaka gets some praise from Andy Katz
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 03:29:10 PM »
If we're doing best coaching jobs this season by new hires it's Shaka 1, TJO 2.  Would listen to the argument to flip the two.  Shaka's team has the best wins of any of the new coaches, and he's had a much bigger turnaround from last year to this year than Arizona or Texas Tech had.  TJO's team has had a much bigger turnaround than MU, but MU has the stronger resume currently.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 03:33:26 PM »
If we're doing best coaching jobs this season by new hires it's Shaka 1, TJO 2.  Would listen to the argument to flip the two.  Shaka's team has the best wins of any of the new coaches, and he's had a much bigger turnaround from last year to this year than Arizona or Texas Tech had.  TJO's team has had a much bigger turnaround than MU, but MU has the stronger resume currently.

Agreed. As impressive as TT has been I have no clue how Adams is in front of Shaka. Their team is old as hell and retained some key players from a team that was really good.

Zona, at least has been consistently in the top 10 at worst all year so thats pretty impressive.

Shaka and TJO have destroyed expectations far more than anyone.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 03:52:43 PM »
Agreed. As impressive as TT has been I have no clue how Adams is in front of Shaka. Their team is old as hell and retained some key players from a team that was really good.

Zona, at least has been consistently in the top 10 at worst all year so thats pretty impressive.

Shaka and TJO have destroyed expectations far more than anyone.

Zona brought back a TON of talent.  Miller's last class was borderline top 5 and they all stayed.  And Benedict Mathurin was a lower ranked member of that class who turned into a top 7 pick over the last year and change.  Plus a top 75 recruit for 2021 that they retained.

ISU and MU are kind of on opposite tracks.  ISU started hot, though their best wins besides X and TTU look like fools gold (Memphis, Creighton, Iowa, Texas) and cooled off.

And totally agree about TTU.  Their top 5 scorers/minutes guys are all 5th and 6th year guys, 2 of whom have always been at TTU.  And it was a good tournament team that he took over.  If they were a top 5 squad I could buy it.  But he hasn't done anything THAT special there this year.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 05:36:39 PM »
Shaka #3?   I assume Porter Moser is #1 and #2 on the list....

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 05:41:28 PM »
If I am remembering right Zona is younger than Marquette. I believe they said on a November broadcast that MU had the third most freshmen and Arizona had the most. That of course is counting 2nd year freshmen.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 07:55:06 PM »
If I am remembering right Zona is younger than Marquette. I believe they said on a November broadcast that MU had the third most freshmen and Arizona had the most. That of course is counting 2nd year freshmen.

I'm not a fan of the freshman trick. Justin Lewis, Bennedict Mathurin, Tyler Kolek, Dalen Terry, Oso Ighodaro, and Kerr Kriisa are not freshmen.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 08:23:10 PM »
I'm not a fan of the freshman trick. Justin Lewis, Bennedict Mathurin, Tyler Kolek, Dalen Terry, Oso Ighodaro, and Kerr Kriisa are not freshmen.

Oso is probably the one exception I'd make. He only played 38 minutes last year. I think he would have redshirted had it been a normal year.

Football players can play a few games and still redshirt. I think basketball should do something similar, but with a minutes limit. Maybe 50 or 100 tops.

So, I think of Oso as a RS-freshman.  Lewis, Kolek, and O-Max I think of as sophomores.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 09:28:32 PM »

Arizona lists 18 guys on their roster.  It doesn't appear any of their true freshmen are in their rotation.
1 six-year guy, 1 four-year guys, 1 three year guy, 5 second year guys

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 09:37:28 PM »
National reporter says something nice about Marquette 
Scoop gets mad because it's not nice enough.
Never change, Scoop

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 09:49:06 PM »
National reporter says something nice about Marquette 
Scoop gets mad because it's not nice enough.
Never change, Scoop

Or Scoop just debates the list.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2022, 12:02:40 AM »
Or Scoop just debates the list.
Scoop sucks
Goal is National Championship

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2022, 07:08:02 AM »