Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Each Coach's Best "All Coach Team"  (Read 6268 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Each Coach's Best "All Coach Team"
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2021, 10:07:08 PM »
Not a single Dominic James or Jerel McNeal reference…
Are those two of the most overlooked Golden Eagles in the last 20 years?

Hardly. Dominic is an all timer... who was up against Travis for TC's years. Unless you want to put him with Buzz?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2021, 10:43:39 PM »
You'd need Lazar on Creans 5 to deal with Jae, I'd have loved to see that college matchup.

I like that. Lazar was a better all-around college player than Novak for sure.

Man, I'd but Buycks there over DJO. Better ball handler and can still get buckets.

College DJO at his best was quite a bit better than college Buycks at his best IMHO.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2021, 01:04:33 AM »
Man, I'd but Buycks there over DJO. Better ball handler and can still get buckets.

MU82 already said this but DJO college player is a no brainer over Buycks.  Not even close. Perhaps TBT is clouding your judgment?  But even then I’d say it’s favorable for DJO.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2021, 01:17:36 AM »

Sorry. I cannot wipe Louisville out of my mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2021, 05:21:37 AM »
You could put DWade with Rob Frozena, Youssapha Mboa, Brett Rosboro, and me and that team would beat any modern era MU team.

Pretending (especially college, but even pro) Jimmy could handle Dwayne Wade? Lol. And you could put Wade on Jae defensively if you’re worried about it. There’s about an inch difference there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2021, 11:46:10 AM »
Brother Brew:

On Al, I'd have two nits:

1) Butch Lee was a POY and MVP of the 1977 Championship. I'd sub out Lee for Tatum.

2) If there is only five, as much as I think the world of George Thompson, Coach McGuire's best five were Lee, Meminger, Chones, Lucas and Ellis.
    a) Lucas, Lee and Ellis were all National Championship caliber players.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2021, 01:25:48 PM »
You could put DWade with Rob Frozena, Youssapha Mboa, Brett Rosboro, and me and that team would beat any modern era MU team.

Pretending (especially college, but even pro) Jimmy could handle Dwayne Wade? Lol. And you could put Wade on Jae defensively if you’re worried about it. There’s about an inch difference there.

Obviously, I'm a Wade fan, too. We all are.

But let's not pretend he was unstoppable or that he never had a bad game. They lost plenty of games when he was at Marquette, he lost his first NCAA tourney game as a 5-seed, and he might have suffered another first-round upset the following year if Diener didn't save his bacon.

I know you were only using hyperbole (and least I hope so), but Buzz's best 5 would beat "Wade and any 4 stiffs," and I'm pretty sure you know it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2021, 02:30:38 PM »
Obviously, I'm a Wade fan, too. We all are.

But let's not pretend he was unstoppable or that he never had a bad game. They lost plenty of games when he was at Marquette, he lost his first NCAA tourney game as a 5-seed, and he might have suffered another first-round upset the following year if Diener didn't save his bacon.

I know you were only using hyperbole (and least I hope so), but Buzz's best 5 would beat "Wade and any 4 stiffs," and I'm pretty sure you know it.

But not Wade and Ners + 3 stiffs!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2021, 04:30:10 PM »
But not Wade and Ners + 3 stiffs!
You do mean Ners and Wade + 3 stiffs, stop minimizing Ners!! Ners>Wade at least in HS.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 06:28:00 PM by Newsdreams »
Goal is National Championship

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2021, 05:35:59 PM »
You do mean Ners and Wade + 3 stiffs, stop minimizing Ners!! Nees>Wade at least in HS.

You're right idk what I was thinking
Maigh Eo for Sam

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2021, 11:58:03 AM »
Brother Brew:

On Al, I'd have two nits:

1) Butch Lee was a POY and MVP of the 1977 Championship. I'd sub out Lee for Tatum.

2) If there is only five, as much as I think the world of George Thompson, Coach McGuire's best five were Lee, Meminger, Chones, Lucas and Ellis.
    a) Lucas, Lee and Ellis were all National Championship caliber players.

I can't argue with your five.  Admittedly, it's not easy to whittle Al's roster down to a Top 5.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2021, 12:26:27 PM »
I can't argue with your five.  Admittedly, it's not easy to whittle Al's roster down to a Top 5.

Most all conference teams are 6 if I recall correctly.
Maigh Eo for Sam

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2021, 02:49:46 PM »

The second five collectively probably are better than anything we have had since:

They would be

Lloyd Walton, George Thompson, Larry McNeil, Earl Tatum and Jerome Whitehead.

My sixth person probably would be Allie McGuire, though you could make a strong case for Marcus Washington or Sugar Frazier. The hard part is leaving Bob Lackey off this list. I really liked him!

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2021, 03:33:53 PM »
Who makes each coach's all coach team and how would you rank them? Basically was thinking if Wojos best players put him surprisingly higher than coaches with way more success.

Wojo, Buzz, Crean, Deane, O'Neil, Rick, Hank, Al, Nagle (Rand & Kojis IIRC)

is is players who were recruited by that coach or just played for them (e.g. Crawford and Amal. Are they all-KO or all-Deane? How about Hutch who was signed by KO but never played for him?)
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2021, 03:45:12 PM »
is is players who were recruited by that coach or just played for them (e.g. Crawford and Amal. Are they all-KO or all-Deane? How about Hutch who was signed by KO but never played for him?)

Good question I hadn't honestly thought about it much. I'd say who they played the majority of their MU career for. The only issue that might arise then is Lazar who played 2 & 2 but Buzz was an assistant for another.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2021, 03:54:24 PM »
I should be who recruited you.

Because otherwise you can really distort the Mike Deane Era (an era I loved by the way, long live Turners)

G Hutch
G Pieper
G Wardle
F Crawford
C Amal

All but one is a KO signee.  That has to be noted.  Hell you could bump Wardle and throw in Tony Miller.  KO not only saved the program, he left the fullest cupboard.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2021, 07:08:30 PM »
The second five collectively probably are better than anything we have had since:

They would be

Lloyd Walton, George Thompson, Larry McNeil, Earl Tatum and Jerome Whitehead.

My sixth person probably would be Allie McGuire, though you could make a strong case for Marcus Washington or Sugar Frazier. The hard part is leaving Bob Lackey off this list. I really liked him!

Love your first and second fives. Next five (for me) is Marcus Washington, Joe Wolf, Ric Cobb, Bob Lackey and Gary Brell. Brian Brunkhorst, Allie, Jeff Sewell, Joe Thomas, Sugar Frazier just miss.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2021, 09:32:58 PM »
Love your first and second fives. Next five (for me) is Marcus Washington, Joe Wolf, Ric Cobb, Bob Lackey and Gary Brell. Brian Brunkhorst, Allie, Jeff Sewell, Joe Thomas, Sugar Frazier just miss.

Joe Wolf????
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2021, 09:04:47 AM »

Brother Lenny:

Marcus was a tough one. He was a key part of our national runner-up t6eam. But he was plagued by knee problems at MU. A good ballplayer who filled his role well.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2021, 09:44:21 AM »

Because otherwise you can really distort the Mike Deane Era (an era I loved by the way, long live Turners)

G Hutch
G Pieper
G Wardle
F Crawford
C Amal

All but one is a KO signee.  That has to be noted.  Hell you could bump Wardle and throw in Tony Miller.  KO not only saved the program, he left the fullest cupboard.

I didn't want to say that just in case people gave Wade to Deane.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2021, 11:58:01 AM »

G Hutch
G Pieper
G Wardle
F Crawford
C Amal

All but one is a KO signee.  That has to be noted. Hell you could bump Wardle and throw in Tony Miller. KO not only saved the program, he left the fullest cupboard.

You have to include Tony.  His career assist stats are incredible and his performance in the Kentucky game alone gets him MU legend status.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2021, 12:36:36 PM »
You have to include Tony.  His career assist stats are incredible and his performance in the Kentucky game alone gets him MU legend status.

I did include him, on my KO list.  The point was even though he played for Deane --- he is a KO guy.  IMO he is THE KO guy.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2021, 12:36:47 PM »

Tony is one of my favorite Marquette players.  Straight out baller
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2021, 12:47:52 PM »
Tony is one of my favorite Marquette players.  Straight out baller

He was great. Hugely underrated career at MU.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2021, 08:39:25 PM »
Joe Wolf????

Sorry, Herman. Wishful thinking, perhaps…of course I meant Bob Wolf.