[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

What should Marquette do following Notre Dame's departure of the Big East?

Remain commited to the current Big East schools
60 (27.9%)
Create a non-football conference with the non-football schools
88 (40.9%)
Go independant
4 (1.9%)
Try to latch on as a non-football school in a stable conference
58 (27%)
Other
5 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 213

Author Topic: Poll: What Should Marquette Do?  (Read 15160 times)

JoBo2756

• Team Captain
Re: Poll: What Should Marquette Do?
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2012, 08:10:56 PM »
We should just start our own football team. No teal bitches...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2012, 08:24:48 AM »
So they're lying and also want to get to 20+ basketball schools just to eliminate viable teams for Marquette to form a conference in?  Someone's paranoid.  If that happened, the Big 12 would probably follow suit to strengthen its hoops brand and MU would be first on their invite list.  Or they'd poach half the discontent ACC schools.

the ACC has put a $50M exit fee in place, nobody is getting poached now

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2012, 08:47:39 AM »
Right, just like the ACC didn't want partial members like ND. ::)

Where was that ever stated anywhere?

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2012, 08:58:40 AM »
I'd like to see us stay in the Big East even if the conference isnt what it once was. Its history alone could always draw talented programs to bring it back. However, given MU and our lack of a football program, I'd also like to see us shore up our future in a basketball driven conference. Remove aconference's dependancy on football and MU would be stahlwart for a long time.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2012, 10:17:51 AM »
Immediate future - Look to reinforce the Big East brand.  There's no other good options at this point. 

Within 1 year (or really 6 months ago) - Start working with the other Big East schools to determine the 3-5 yr exit plan. 

3-5 year options:
  • 1. Basketball schools break off and form own league/FBS schools leave for other conferences
  • 2. Basketball schools break off, add FCS schools, and plan to be resilient for FCS schools to make a jump to FBS (Nova is the only thing I can think of).  FBS schools leave.
  • 3. Federal government gets involved, mandates a massive changes to the NCAA/FCS/FBS systems.

Problems/Benefits of 1-3 above.
1.  Initially weak league - no UConn, no Louisville, Cincy, etc.  Gives unity among remaining schools and adds long term (8-10 yr) stability.  Negotiations for TV contracts may be really tough.  Exposure gets reduced - may rough up recruiting in that regard. 
2. Reputation as a FBS feeder league.  Same pros/cons as #1 and adds potential instability as schools move to FBS (if that happens).
3. Who knows.   Athletes could wind up being paid some sort of stipend beyond what they currently receive.  Barriers to entry to FBS increased (as a financial burden).  Dogs and cats playing together.  Mandate that NCAA controls governance of regionalized leagues. 

As disappointing as it is, the Big East will die; not because it wasn't/isn't good, the college sports landscape has changed significantly since we joined the BE. 

I think with the right collection of schools a new powerhouse basketball conference could be created. 

It'll be interesting.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »
Sorry, but MU is in no position to dictate terms. They'll be fortunate to end up in the A-10 (or will it be the A-18, by the time this is over?)

UConn and Rutgers to the ACC.

Villanova and Georgetown to the ACC as hoops-only members.

Louisville and Cincy to the Big XII.

MU, DePaul, St Johns and Seton Hall to the A-10.

Just asking this question to everyone as this notion seems popular.  Why do Villanova and George have enough cache to get invited to the ACC as hoops-only members?  Do they have anyone else that fits that description?  Why would the ACC be interested in that?  I just dont see either school getting an invite to the ACC...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
Just asking this question to everyone as this notion seems popular.  Why do Villanova and George have enough cache to get invited to the ACC as hoops-only members?  Do they have anyone else that fits that description?  Why would the ACC be interested in that?  I just dont see either school getting an invite to the ACC...

I think because people like to turn Chicken Little at times like this. Villanova wanted into the ACC when they took Pitt and Syracuse and the ACC didn't give them the time of day. Adding Georgetown would cut directly into the market of one of their current teams in Maryland. And while the academics for both are solid, neither are AAU members, so from a prestige level, they really don't bring that much to the table. If the ACC goes after either school, it would solely be to damage the Big East further, but there is no way they would go after both of them. It would be a one or the other situation, they don't want to go to 17.

The ACC is hoping (like the Big East did for 17 years) that Notre Dame will "see the light" and join as a full member. After all, in 3-4 years, when Notre Dame is playing 5 ACC games and going to ACC bowls, won't it just make sense for them to join the ACC in football as well? Pretty sure someone already tried that, and we all see how well it worked out. ND is only there because of the football prestige they bring, even in the form of bringing nationwide eyes to ACC games as their schools get to play ND.

While basketball is big business, I don't for one moment believe that the ACC gave a rat's ass about ND's basketball program. At absolute best, ND is the 5th most prestigious basketball school (after UNC, Duke, Syracuse, and Pitt) once they join, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were lagging behind Maryland, NC State, and Florida State by the time they get there. I am guessing the ACC would view Villanova, Georgetown, and Marquette in the same way, as a middle of the pack ACC squad, so why on earth would they want to add those basketball only schools and share their dollars when they already have a foothold in the DC market through Maryland and the state of Pennsylvania through Pitt?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2021, 02:41:54 PM »
I voted for “create a basketball only conference”

Hope this works out for us!

fjm

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2021, 02:43:36 PM »
Give Buzz a raise and hope he doesn't bolt for greener pastures.

Not worried. You love Tom crean, and he left you at the alter, so I get your concern there. Buzz is a lifer at MU. He’s going nowhere! Def not to a cruddy ACC school. So we are good in that regard!

fjm

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2021, 02:45:38 PM »
Reluctantly, I'm on the basketball-only bandwagon. ESPN is going to keep coming through the ACC and Big 12 until we're no longer viable. See if we can lock Georgetown, 'Nova, St John's, and the others in, poach Xavier, Butler, UMass, and maybe a few others from regional conferences, and hope someone will be willing to push the league, most likely ESPN or CBS.

Though it would suck losing the brand name and possibly MSG for the tourney.

This guy Fuks and might be onto something! Good plan! Dislike UMass though. Otherwise looks like a bright future brew.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2021, 05:03:43 PM »
This is quite the hoopaloop

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2021, 07:58:56 PM »
This is quite the hoopaloop
LOL beer summit?
Goal is National Championship

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2021, 09:03:50 PM »
This guy Fuks and might be onto something! Good plan! Dislike UMass though. Otherwise looks like a bright future brew.

LOL that's hoopin' I appreciate  ;D

2012 me probably thought Creighton was too far west and the more eastern options weren't very appealing.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2021, 09:07:18 PM »
Only if they start up D1 football and only if the rest of the ACC can convince Maryland to let G-town in.    None of the rest of the major conferences are looking to add any more basketball only schools.   ACC took ND thinking they can get NC to join in Football in 5 years plus the name.

Other than the typo calling Notre Dame NC, I am comfortable with this.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.