[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:32:41 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: John Fanta Thoughts on MU Practice  (Read 8983 times)

Mu8891

• All American
Re: John Fanta Thoughts on MU Practice
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2021, 10:37:38 PM »
Please don’t use the word
“ blender “ ...

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2021, 11:08:09 AM »
Without having any data, it seems like Wojo's teams were just terrible defensively.  Even when they were successful, it was simply a matter of outscoring teams.  Even Theo John would often take himself out of position to go for a blocked shot, resulting in an offensive rebound or foul call.  If you play solid team defense, and you have the athletes to do so, then MU should be able to keep games close and maybe get a few breaks. I'm really looking forward to seeing a team with a different approach to the game, even if it takes a while to get there.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2021, 11:59:42 AM »
Without having any data, it seems like Wojo's teams were just terrible defensively.  Even when they were successful, it was simply a matter of outscoring teams.  Even Theo John would often take himself out of position to go for a blocked shot, resulting in an offensive rebound or foul call.  If you play solid team defense, and you have the athletes to do so, then MU should be able to keep games close and maybe get a few breaks. I'm really looking forward to seeing a team with a different approach to the game, even if it takes a while to get there.

Loved Theo's enthusiasm but I would have preferred his staying in position more often and being in semi control (somewhat- it's a block after all) so that he could maybe direct the blocked shot towards a team member rather than sending it into a third row seat and setting up the opponents for an in bounds close to their basket. In fairness to Theo, a lot of shot blockers send the ball wildly out of bounds. The crowds love it but a more disciplined approach to defense will often reward you with more than cheers from the crowd. Not as exciting but better bball.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2021, 12:15:20 PM »
Absolutely loved Theo's energy and toughness.  Unlike McIlvaine, Theo would have to leave his feet (jump) to block shots which put him out of position defensively.  Even if you don't block the shot, obstructing ball's path alters the shot and improves defensive efficiency.  Some of the length on this team (Kuath, O-Max) will help a lot in this regard.

Loved Theo's enthusiasm but I would have preferred his staying in position more often and being in semi control (somewhat- it's a block after all) so that he could maybe direct the blocked shot towards a team member rather than sending it into a third row seat and setting up the opponents for an in bounds close to their basket. In fairness to Theo, a lot of shot blockers send the ball wildly out of bounds. The crowds love it but a more disciplined approach to defense will often reward you with more than cheers from the crowd. Not as exciting but better bball.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2021, 01:06:38 PM »
Absolutely loved Theo's energy and toughness.  Unlike McIlvaine, Theo would have to leave his feet (jump) to block shots which put him out of position defensively.  Even if you don't block the shot, obstructing ball's path alters the shot and improves defensive efficiency.  Some of the length on this team (Kuath, O-Max) will help a lot in this regard.

Good observations. It will be interesting to see Theo at UNC. I doubt that he will be given the British "carry on!" message. More likely he will receive different instructions and coaching and develop into a better, more productive player than he was under the Wojo Whatever "System". 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2021, 01:34:41 PM »
Good observations. It will be interesting to see Theo at UNC. I doubt that he will be given the British "carry on!" message. More likely he will receive different instructions and coaching and develop into a better, more productive player than he was under the Wojo Whatever "System".
I think he will only play in one game at UNC.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2021, 02:01:54 PM »
Yup

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2021, 02:02:56 PM »
Hoo kares, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Viper

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2021, 02:11:22 PM »
no mistakes allowed on Scoop, Scoop. Scoop shows no mercy.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2021, 04:02:02 PM »

Good one! OK, I knew just a few minutes after posting that I listed UNC rather than Duke but I was already in the car and headed on a long drive. Hopefully Rocky does not send me on a vacation.

feedback