[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tyson Fury- Deontay Wilder III  (Read 3553 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Tyson Fury- Deontay Wilder III
« on: October 06, 2021, 09:08:42 AM »
These two guys deliver some good boxing entertainment. Looking forward to this fight. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Tyson Fury- Deontay Wilder III
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 09:21:49 AM »
Fury wins. If Wilder was going to beat Fury he needed to do it in the first match when Fury had been suspended and looked like a pub regular. Not saying he's a peak athlete but he's looking more like the guy that beat Klischko. Wilder has another emotional breakdown tossing out a million conspiracy theories why he lost without the obvious one, he's a bad boxer who fights like a former football player thats trying to kill someone with every punch. What's that? He is a former football player who's trying to kill someone after every punch? Weird coincidence.

We then finally see Joshua vs Wilder since Joshua will need it to try to challenge Fury since he's not going to beat Usyk without getting a heck of a lot lighter on his feet.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 10:12:41 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 10:35:08 AM »
Unless Wilder can catch him with a big shot early, I see this fight unfolding similar to the last one. Wilder just doesn't have the boxing skills to beat Fury.

After his last fight, does anyone want to see Joshua again. He looked unmotivated and totally outclassed by a smaller, albeit very talented Usyk. Usyk vs Fury would be the fight to make, but I feel Fury is way too big for Usyk.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 10:52:14 AM »
Fury wins. If Wilder was going to beat Fury he needed to do it in the first match when Fury had been suspended and looked like a pub regular. Not saying he's a peak athlete but he's looking more like the guy that beat Klischko. Wilder has another emotional breakdown tossing out a million conspiracy theories why he lost without the obvious one, he's a bad boxer who fights like a former football player thats trying to kill someone with every punch. What's that? He is a former football player who's trying to kill someone after every punch? Weird coincidence.

We then finally see Joshua vs Wilder since Joshua will need it to try to challenge Fury since he's not going to beat Usyk without getting a heck of a lot lighter on his feet.

I dont disagree that Fury wins, he's a far better boxer with a chin to match.  But I don't think that's fair to Wilder.  Bad boxers don't go 40-0 like he did.  Even with Fury out of shape, he was still an undefeated fighter who mowed down everyone in his path and got put on the canvas twice by Wilder.  Does Wilder break down sometimes and try to go for home runs?  Sure, but that doesn't make him a bad fighter.  He's a good fighter with insane power who has benefited from a top heavy at best heavyweight division.

Joshua should be out of conversations for awhile until he beats some legit fighters again.  Dude is a great fighter but seems to just lose focus against guys he should dismantle.  First Ruiz, then Usyk.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 10:59:44 AM »
Unless Wilder can catch him with a big shot early, I see this fight unfolding similar to the last one. Wilder just doesn't have the boxing skills to beat Fury.

After his last fight, does anyone want to see Joshua again. He looked unmotivated and totally outclassed by a smaller, albeit very talented Usyk. Usyk vs Fury would be the fight to make, but I feel Fury is way too big for Usyk.

England would all stand in line behind Joshua against Fury. It wouldn't have the same international appeal but would be a massive national contest. 

But I agree, I think Joshua's declining in a big way, classy sportsman (unlike wilder) but after Ortiz decimated him in fight 1 I think he's become overly cautious and doesn't trust his chin. Meanwhile you're 100% right about Fury vs Usyk. I gotta hand it to Usyk though he'd be more willing to fight fury than Joshua or Wilder 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 11:45:10 AM »
I dont disagree that Fury wins, he's a far better boxer with a chin to match.  But I don't think that's fair to Wilder.  Bad boxers don't go 40-0 like he did.  Even with Fury out of shape, he was still an undefeated fighter who mowed down everyone in his path and got put on the canvas twice by Wilder.  Does Wilder break down sometimes and try to go for home runs?  Sure, but that doesn't make him a bad fighter.  He's a good fighter with insane power who has benefited from a top heavy at best heavyweight division.

Joshua should be out of conversations for awhile until he beats some legit fighters again.  Dude is a great fighter but seems to just lose focus against guys he should dismantle.  First Ruiz, then Usyk.

I respectfully disagree. I mean there's no doubt that beating that many fighters is a major accomplishment but outside of 2x Ortiz and his draw with Fury how many were legit?

Molina had a straw record and has been crap since Wilder.

Chris Arreola was 6 years removed from his peak and wasn't a top 10 fighter iirc by the time they fought.

I feel like there's another "big win" he touts that I'm forgetting maybe that one was legit, maybe not. I know you can only fight who's peaking in the era you are but I've thought wilder was the recipient of great handling for a long time. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 12:00:07 PM »
I watched the profile on Wilder on ESPN2 the other night (I loved and miss the old HBO series leading up to big fights). It seems his focus has been on getting stronger and looking to knock out Fury within the first six rounds. I don't know if he can do with that Fury's chin and defense.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 01:10:02 PM »
I respectfully disagree. I mean there's no doubt that beating that many fighters is a major accomplishment but outside of 2x Ortiz and his draw with Fury how many were legit?

Molina had a straw record and has been crap since Wilder.

Chris Arreola was 6 years removed from his peak and wasn't a top 10 fighter iirc by the time they fought.

I feel like there's another "big win" he touts that I'm forgetting maybe that one was legit, maybe not. I know you can only fight who's peaking in the era you are but I've thought wilder was the recipient of great handling for a long time.

Again, I don't disagree with this, but yet again, none of this backs up "bad boxer".  Overrated?  Sure.  Record buffered by great handling and scheduling?  Sure.  Feasting on a weak era?  Like I said, very probably.  But its not like he fought soup cans and then got wasted the first time he stepped up in competition.

Szpilka was well regarded when Wilder beat him.  Stiverne held belts and had just beaten Arriola twice (years before Wilder fought him) and Wilder outboxed him to get the WBC (and then wrecked him in the rematch.

Everything doesn't have to be boom or bust, fantastic boxer or trash boxer.  Even being a limited fighter doesn't mean you're bad.  It just feels like an overly aggressive label towards someone who isn't the most technically polished, well rounded fighter so naturally they must be a "bad" boxer.  He was ranked highly in pound for pound rankings by legit publications for a reason.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 01:34:56 PM »
Again, I don't disagree with this, but yet again, none of this backs up "bad boxer".  Overrated?  Sure.  Record buffered by great handling and scheduling?  Sure.  Feasting on a weak era?  Like I said, very probably.  But its not like he fought soup cans and then got wasted the first time he stepped up in competition.

Szpilka was well regarded when Wilder beat him.  Stiverne held belts and had just beaten Arriola twice (years before Wilder fought him) and Wilder outboxed him to get the WBC (and then wrecked him in the rematch.

Everything doesn't have to be boom or bust, fantastic boxer or trash boxer.  Even being a limited fighter doesn't mean you're bad.  It just feels like an overly aggressive label towards someone who isn't the most technically polished, well rounded fighter so naturally they must be a "bad" boxer.  He was ranked highly in pound for pound rankings by legit publications for a reason.

Fair enough, I'll admit when I hear a guy gets into boxing in their 20s because they played HS contact sports (almost always football or hockey)  and think they're tough I usually have prejudice against them as fighters and look for reasons to not like them. This has definitely impacted my opinion of Wilder for years and years.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 01:35:13 PM »
Again, I don't disagree with this, but yet again, none of this backs up "bad boxer".  Overrated?  Sure.  Record buffered by great handling and scheduling?  Sure.  Feasting on a weak era? Like I said, very probably.  But its not like he fought soup cans and then got wasted the first time he stepped up in competition.

how much of the "weak era" perception is due to boxing not being in the public consciousness anymore, as well as more foreign fighters? Is this era any weaker than when the Klitchko's were dominating or even the early years of Tyson's reign?

Fair enough, I'll admit when I hear a guy gets into boxing in their 20s because they played HS contact sports (almost always football or hockey)  and think they're tough I usually have prejudice against them as fighters and look for reasons to not like them. This has definitely impacted my opinion of Wilder for years and years.

Hey, leave Seth Mitchell alone. :)
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 03:18:18 PM »

Fair, but I mean, he was a year out of HS and had literally just turned 20 (within a week) when he start boxing, and was winning the Golden Gloves before he even turned 22, so its not like aforementioned Seth Mitchell who was a failed college player or like that douche Greg Hardy in UFC.

But bottom line, I don't think he has the game to best the Gypsy King unless Fury gets cocky and catches a bazooka right

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 09:38:09 AM »
Fair, but I mean, he was a year out of HS and had literally just turned 20 (within a week) when he start boxing, and was winning the Golden Gloves before he even turned 22, so its not like aforementioned Seth Mitchell who was a failed college player or like that douche Greg Hardy in UFC.

But bottom line, I don't think he has the game to best the Gypsy King unless Fury gets cocky and catches a bazooka right

The fact that he was just a year out of HS Football doesn't really help the case. It means he had access to coaches & athlete programs more recently in his life than most boxers have had in their lives. So the crux of it is that people who dedicate their lives to the sport and are fundamentally sound often get caught by wild punches from crappy new boxers who are in better shape. I can honestly say most of my wins are because I in better shape than 90% of the other boxers b/c I was also playing lacrosse and running cross country while most the other kids had only done was bagwork and spar. strength training, (non bagwork) cardio and stretching is a real issue in amateur boxing gyms. If you get someone who's got that from HS sports you've struck gold.

That being said, if you watch his olympics fights he's still extremely unpolished (no head movement, squares up into traditional athletic position breaking the heel-toe boxing footwork, drops his lead hand, throws wide hooks more often than not) so that reinforces the idea that he didn't get there because he's a technically gifted boxer but because he was in tremendously better athletic shape than most his opponents.

https://youtu.be/xIh0jM6G--M

Add on: I wish boxing would return to the NCAAs and High School. I would think it'd do wonders for the sport's popularity and just getting great potential fighters polished and in shape.  I could especially see college campuses getting into it but maybe that's because I'm biased. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 09:59:12 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 10:01:01 AM »
I mean, his Olympic fights were still a full 5 years before he fought any professional fighter of substance, and well before he was defending titles 10 times.

Listen, you're an experienced boxer and an avid fan, which I respect.  And you've walked back that his a "bad boxer" which has zero merit.  So we're good.  Its silly to me to slag an accomplished fighter cause he didn't grow up worshiping the sport and sweeping gyms to fight when he was a pre-teen.  Or cause his physical gifts allowed him to beat more "technical fighters" early on.  But at a certain point, a good fighter is a good fighter.  Whether they are technically gifted or they have an amazing weapon and know how to deploy it.

Wilder doesn't have to be your favorite, nor does he need to go on the pantheon of heavyweights in boxing lore (which I wouldn't disagree with you on).  But if you're going to surmise that someone won Golden Gloves, got a Bronze in the Olympics, and then proceeded to go 40-0 with myriad title defenses and has only lost once to a fantastic fighter, who had previously drawn with...is just a bad fighter who is just more athletic than others cause he played football 15+ years ago...well then that is kind of a damning indictment of boxing.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2021, 10:25:44 AM »
I mean, his Olympic fights were still a full 5 years before he fought any professional fighter of substance, and well before he was defending titles 10 times.

Listen, you're an experienced boxer and an avid fan, which I respect.  And you've walked back that his a "bad boxer" which has zero merit.  So we're good.  Its silly to me to slag an accomplished fighter cause he didn't grow up worshiping the sport and sweeping gyms to fight when he was a pre-teen.  Or cause his physical gifts allowed him to beat more "technical fighters" early on.  But at a certain point, a good fighter is a good fighter.  Whether they are technically gifted or they have an amazing weapon and know how to deploy it.

Wilder doesn't have to be your favorite, nor does he need to go on the pantheon of heavyweights in boxing lore (which I wouldn't disagree with you on).  But if you're going to surmise that someone won Golden Gloves, got a Bronze in the Olympics, and then proceeded to go 40-0 with myriad title defenses and has only lost once to a fantastic fighter, who had previously drawn with...is just a bad fighter who is just more athletic than others cause he played football 15+ years ago...well then that is kind of a damning indictment of boxing.

Fair I mean you have a good point regarding the bolded.

I think I just get worked up when I read about newer fighters with the background he had and thought he looked ridiculous in the olympics. But I definitely lose track of time and forgot that he's spent the interim years honing himself against fighters most of whom are better than 99% of the people I ever fought 🤗
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2021, 12:23:09 PM »
Listening to the third press conference and man is Wilder thick. I mean in Wags fairness I don't like him but his answers and what he says literally make no sense. Fury is a surprisingly witty fast talker, much like Ali was. Wilder seems like he's either punch drunk or below the median IQ.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2021, 03:21:21 PM »
Weigh In show scheduled for 5 PM Eastern Time. Not sure exactly when they get on the scales.

Here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1SXpitzlnw
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2021, 06:53:51 PM »
Fury 277 pounds
Wilder 238 pounds

Wilder says he has been bench pressing 350 to be able to push Fury off him.
                       ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2021, 07:07:34 PM »
Fury 277 pounds
Wilder 238 pounds

Wilder says he has been bench pressing 350 to be able to push Fury off him.

But he won't be able to handle the 1/2lb outfit he walks in wearing
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2021, 10:40:51 PM »
Nothing more than a guess, I think Wilder comes out throwing bombs and gets lucky and catches Fury with one in the 3rd round.

---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2021, 11:15:39 PM »
Holy crap!!  Fury knocks down Wilder...who regroups and drops Fury twice with that right.

Fury just needs to hang in there cause Wilder is running out of gas.

Also, the physique differences between the two continues to be hilarious.  Fury is the best heavyweight fighter in the world and has bird legs and a jiggly midsection.  What a legend

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2021, 12:25:58 AM »
Fury just too good, but holy hell Wilder is a TOUGH mofo, what an absolute warrior.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2021, 09:16:34 AM »
I'm not sure what one can really do vs a guy 6'9, 280???   I wonder what kind of boxer Shaq could have been?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2021, 10:32:55 AM »
I'm not sure what one can really do vs a guy 6'9, 280???   I wonder what kind of boxer Shaq could have been?
Wilder was 6-7 238 and was clearly the smaller man.  Fury has boxing skills to go with his size, which makes him very hard to beat.
                       ---Al McGuire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2021, 11:37:40 AM »
Wilder was 6-7 238 and was clearly the smaller man.  Fury has boxing skills to go with his size, which makes him very hard to beat.

Shouldn't there be a Power-Super Heavyweight division Herman?  There are a number of species that could take out Fury faster than you can say Fury.  :)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2021, 01:24:37 PM »
Holy crap!!  Fury knocks down Wilder...who regroups and drops Fury twice with that right.

Fury just needs to hang in there cause Wilder is running out of gas.

Also, the physique differences between the two continues to be hilarious.  Fury is the best heavyweight fighter in the world and has bird legs and a jiggly midsection.  What a legend

It always cracks me up to see him out there against guys like the Klischko bros and Wilder. Just looks like a big guy at the pub not a finely tuned athlete. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2021, 01:36:42 PM »
It always cracks me up to see him out there against guys like the Klischko bros and Wilder. Just looks like a big guy at the pub not a finely tuned athlete.

His lineage is from Galway.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2021, 07:09:53 PM »
Fury reminds me of Larry Holmes the way he uses his left jab and then follows with the right . Holmes had an enormous reach 81.5 Inches and he used it well. Like Fury he was not necessarily a highly chiseled athlete. But man could he box.
                       ---Al McGuire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2021, 07:46:55 PM »
Fury reminds me of Larry Holmes the way he uses his left jab and then follows with the right . Holmes had an enormous reach 81.5 Inches and he used it well. Like Fury he was not necessarily a highly chiseled athlete. But man could he box.

I'll take your word for it Herman.  However, I would still like to see how a Lowland Mountain Gorilla would handle Tyson Fury. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2021, 11:18:35 PM »
His lineage is from Galway.

Are tinkers genetically from a county or kingdom? I mean sure they're more common in Connacht, but the whole thing is that they don't put roots down.

I'll take your word for it Herman.  However, I would still like to see how a Lowland Mountain Gorilla would handle Tyson Fury. 

Why? How would you like it if I put a Chimp or orangutan and a Gorilla in a cage and forced them to fight? Doing that with other great apes is no different
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 11:20:17 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2021, 11:38:26 PM »
Are tinkers genetically from a county or kingdom? I mean sure they're more common in Connacht, but the whole thing is that they don't put roots down.

Why? How would you like it if I put a Chimp or orangutan and a Gorilla in a cage and forced them to fight? Doing that with other great apes is no different

I dunno, I am just impressed with their strength  and the fact that they could take out Fury very quickly.  It's tragic they are endangered.  I believe they can bench press about 4K and I like watching them snap trees. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2021, 12:15:37 AM »
I dunno, I am just impressed with their strength  and the fact that they could take out Fury very quickly.  It's tragic they are endangered.  I believe they can bench press about 4K and I like watching them snap trees.

Just seems like an odd thing to bring up. Like if I said "I'd like to see D Wade take on a cheetah" well 1 the cheetah would get called for traveling, likely a flagrant for clawing at Wade and then ejected for biting wade.

Similarly, let's say this fight happened. 1. There's a three point. Of contact rule in boxing for knockdowns so a gorilla immediately is considered knocked down. Next, gorillas have. Tendency to hit anywhere and everywhere, given Fury's height and a gorilla's that likely means a lot of below the belt hits. Next, a referee isn't a gorilla trainer so when the gorilla attacks the referee for pulling it off fury to deduct a point that means that the gorillas DQ'd. that's all before we even get into biting kicking, running to the corner, etc.  see why it's just an overall weird thing to bring up? Unless you're bringing it up with every sport & game then why now?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2021, 08:00:23 PM »
Just seems like an odd thing to bring up. Like if I said "I'd like to see D Wade take on a cheetah" well 1 the cheetah would get called for traveling, likely a flagrant for clawing at Wade and then ejected for biting wade.

Similarly, let's say this fight happened. 1. There's a three point. Of contact rule in boxing for knockdowns so a gorilla immediately is considered knocked down. Next, gorillas have. Tendency to hit anywhere and everywhere, given Fury's height and a gorilla's that likely means a lot of below the belt hits. Next, a referee isn't a gorilla trainer so when the gorilla attacks the referee for pulling it off fury to deduct a point that means that the gorillas DQ'd. that's all before we even get into biting kicking, running to the corner, etc.  see why it's just an overall weird thing to bring up? Unless you're bringing it up with every sport & game then why now?

I'm just a fan of lots of animals.  Including those that can inflict tremendous damage with modest effort Galway.  It simply amuses me that a man the size of Tyson Fury would pose zero challenge to a Silverback in a confrontation.  But I'll admit I'm a little out there. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2021, 08:51:42 PM »
I'm just a fan of lots of animals.  Including those that can inflict tremendous damage with modest effort Galway.  It simply amuses me that a man the size of Tyson Fury would pose zero challenge to a Silverback in a confrontation.  But I'll admit I'm a little out there.

I respect your love of animals, but its just bizarre tangents that almost feel like trolling if we didn't know better.

Like dropping into the Tour de France thread to say you'd really like to see them race a cheetah.  Or saying "well Derrick Henry's rushing record is impressive, but id like to see what an endangered White Rhino could do, even without an offensive line".  Just apples to oranges.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2021, 08:55:16 PM »
I respect your love of animals, but its just bizarre tangents that almost feel like trolling if we didn't know better.

Like dropping into the Tour de France thread to say you'd really like to see them race a cheetah.  Or saying "well Derrick Henry's rushing record is impressive, but id like to see what an endangered White Rhino could do, even without an offensive line".  Just apples to oranges.

Okay.  Fair enough.

feedback