[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Huge decline in STHs???  (Read 12752 times)

94Warrior

• All American
Huge decline in STHs???
« on: August 31, 2021, 02:25:46 PM »
Now that the seat selection process is over, any word on STH numbers?

When I picked it sure seemed like a lot of available seats compared to past years.

To me it seems odd to have a big drop off now, considering no in-person games in 1.5 years, and a new/exciting coaching staff and roster.  Personally I can't wait to get back to the Fiserv Forum and see this team grow.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 02:29:58 PM by 94Warrior »

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Huge decline in STHs???
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 02:27:17 PM »
Now that the seat selection process is over, any word on STH numbers?

When I picked it sure seemed like a lot of available seats compared to past years.

To me it seems odd to have a big drop off now, considering no I'm-person games in 1.5 years, and a new/exciting coaching staff and roster.  Personally I can't wait to get back to the Fiserv Forum and see this team grow.

I always sit in the lowest priced section. To me it seemed like that was filled up more than usual when I pick. Could be people are opting for cheaper options with some of the uncertainty.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 02:30:32 PM »
There is so much inventory in the lower bowl now that it just feels like no matter when you pick, you can end up in a section you want. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 02:38:56 PM »
To me it seems odd to have a big drop off now, considering no in-person games in 1.5 years, and a new/exciting coaching staff and roster.  Personally I can't wait to get back to the Fiserv Forum and see this team grow.

I think COVID had the opposite impact on a lot of people. They are realizing that their lives are just fine without attending live sports.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 02:39:57 PM »
More competition upstairs than in past years. I've increased my rank by 400 spots but got bumped two rows back in the section from 2019.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 02:40:34 PM »
I think COVID had the opposite impact on a lot of people. They are realizing that their lives are just fine without attending live sports.

Just about to say this exact thing.  Once people stop writing those checks, they find something else to do with their time and their money.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 02:41:50 PM »
People have to save that money to pay the athletes now!
Maigh Eo for Sam

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 03:07:03 PM »
It’s not over—-still have a pick later today.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 03:16:07 PM »

Or, their lifestages have changed. Thus, the move to the uppers, packs, or single games, especially with C19 lingering.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 03:50:48 PM »

This.

Plus a new wait-and-see attitude after years of disappointment.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 03:54:59 PM »
This.

Plus a new wait-and-see attitude after years of disappointment.
This as well. apathy sets in. There is such a disconnect this year. No casual fan has any familiarity with the whole program rn. Takes time. That along with what TAMU said. Covid will still be around to a notable level in 2 months. covid aside just not going to the games for a over a year and watching at home can lead to alot of poeple getting used to that and not wanting to switch back. Id be surprised to see a single sell out all season let alone actually getting 18k in there.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2021, 04:35:44 PM »
The account numbers are close to the same as in years past. Decline, yes. Yet, not huge.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2021, 04:37:21 PM »
If the team does well in non conference, I believe there will be a pick up ticket sales for the conference games.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2021, 07:12:34 PM »
What is the huge drop doom and gloomers are talking about before all the picks are in. Maybe wait til the final numbers are in before you state all the reasons you know the numbers have taken a drastic drop off. Geez.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2021, 10:06:38 PM »
Personally, I’ve always gotten 4 seats in the past, but only got 2 in a cheaper section this year because I’m not sure how many games I’ll actually make it to.  I’m guessing that’s pretty common.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2021, 11:17:51 AM »
The effects of cancelling seasons (for fans) will have a lasting, and devastating, impact on fan attendance.  It's been seen with festivals and MLB, too.

It's a buyer's market for college football tickets, too (see UW football tickets on StubHub).

There are a variety of factors, but I would expect MU to be like everyone else.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2021, 11:31:39 AM »
Moved from downstairs to upstairs this year. Felt like I've wasted thousands of dollars watching Wojo, plus it's hard to see this season going uninterrupted because of COVID.

I wasn't going to renew with another year of Woj but the Shaka hire will at least have me in the cheap seats!

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2021, 03:52:06 PM »
Warrior and others are correct.

COVID has put a BIG dent in peoples interest levels ... they have lived w /
out hoops and football.  It may stay that way ...

And ... lots of apathy.  Lots.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2021, 04:54:16 PM »

Hopefully Shaka can turn the apathy around.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2021, 05:18:18 PM »

The Bucks run proved fans will fill FF and the DD
#justwinbaby

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2021, 07:15:49 PM »
#justwinbaby
Yeah brother Dr. #WinEveryDay
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2021, 07:40:49 PM »
#justwinbaby

Maybe lots of Milwaukee hoops fans decided that instead of spending their $$$ on a middle-of-the-pack (at best) Big East team they will go to a bunch of Bucks games.

Probably a different audience, in general -- a lot of college basketball fans proclaim to "hate" the NBA -- but the Bucks are pretty likable. Oh, and I hear they won a championship or something.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2021, 08:22:48 AM »
I renewed.  Section 208. But I must admit, driving up and back from Chicago for each game is getting tougher.  Last up year, watching in ty was pretty good.   So I think the posters calling that out are right.  And the season is uncertain in terms of actually attending games.  Nit sure how that will work considering what’s happening with Covid.   

So, watching on tv became a fine alternative.    I renewed but will probably not make every game even if we can attend games - putting 17,000 or whatever in an indoor space for hours now seems remote. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2021, 04:19:21 PM »
I would imagine one of the biggest problems MU has with growing season ticket holders is .. in the past ~7 years of graduates .. very few had exciting, winning seasons to remember. 

As your season ticket holders die off, you need young replacements who are ready to plunk down decent money and go to 21 games a year.   

Even if you graduated a decade ago .. the shine is off the apple. 

Add in the fact that one of the massive draws to having season tickets (at the Bradley Center) was that was (sort of) the only way to get lower bowl tickets.   Now with Wojo, Covid, and the Chaluparena you can sit in the lower bowl no problem.  No need to buy 21 games when you can just buy the 5 you want.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2021, 08:53:32 PM »
#justwinbaby

The whole Deer District mania was people looking for something to do with no Summerfest (what's going on now is ridiculous).  It was college and high school kids having a blast.

MU bball has nothing going for it now.  No superstar on the roster to interest the fans, a rather disappointing group of players brought in by Shaka, and years of growing apathy all combining to make MU basketball an afterthought in the area.

And the comment earlier about cheap tix on the secondary market for many events is spot on. A friend was just in NYC and bought tickets for Springsteen on Broadway on Stubhub for half price. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2021, 09:19:49 PM »
Part of it is the disappointing performance by MU the past few years, but the bigger picture issue is lack of attendance generally at sports and entertainment events post-covid.

In addition to others’ stories about college football tickets being widely available and deeply discounted tickets for Springsteen concerts, state fairs are suffering too. In Wisconsin, attendance was down 26%, and here in Minnesota it is currently down 32% at the midway mark.

It may be a while - if ever - before things get back to something resembling the old normal.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2021, 09:26:05 PM »
Marquette will be easily be over 10k (including students) in season tickets sold. Even in a down year, most power schools would kill for that.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2021, 09:32:43 PM »

In addition to others’ stories about college football tickets being widely available and deeply discounted tickets for Springsteen concerts, state fairs are suffering too. In Wisconsin, attendance was down 26%, and here in Minnesota it is currently down 32% at the midway mark.

State Fair in Wisconsin. 2019 was a record year. Hours this year were different. Opening hours much later. All those farmers with the animals for all the judging was not held this year. Costing tons in attendance. Heat and storms the first week another factor.
I believe the goal was 600k. Got well over 840k. Pretty damm good.

Watching Ohio State at Minnesota. Sold out. Looks like the old normal.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 09:37:52 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
-Bill Walton

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2021, 05:13:03 AM »
I would imagine one of the biggest problems MU has with growing season ticket holders is .. in the past ~7 years of graduates .. very few had exciting, winning seasons to remember. 

As your season ticket holders die off, you need young replacements who are ready to plunk down decent money and go to 21 games a year.   

Even if you graduated a decade ago .. the shine is off the apple. 

Add in the fact that one of the massive draws to having season tickets (at the Bradley Center) was that was (sort of) the only way to get lower bowl tickets.   Now with Wojo, Covid, and the Chaluparena you can sit in the lower bowl no problem.  No need to buy 21 games when you can just buy the 5 you want.

Thank God I'm not a STH.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2021, 08:10:29 AM »
State Fair in Wisconsin. 2019 was a record year. Hours this year were different. Opening hours much later. All those farmers with the animals for all the judging was not held this year. Costing tons in attendance. Heat and storms the first week another factor.

Fair points. But a fair counterpoint is that it has been two years since the last state fair, and people have been desperate to get out. If they were truly that desperate, they would have gotten out even with the reduced hours and the lack of animal judging. They didn’t.

As for the Ohio State and Minnesota game, half of them were Ohio State fans. When your team is elite (like number 4 Ohio State or the NBA champion Bucks mentioned above), people will attend. Let’s see how Minnesota does when they aren’t playing a top 10 opponent.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2021, 08:39:37 AM »
Fair points. But a fair counterpoint is that it has been two years since the last state fair, and people have been desperate to get out. If they were truly that desperate, they would have gotten out even with the reduced hours and the lack of animal judging. They didn’t.

Well, numbers can be looked at in many ways. I take 840k, as the goal was 600k with major heat & storms the first week. Reduced hours and events that didn't take place which cost attendance. The events that have the judging all in the morning for the first week, counts towards the attendance. So, people were desperate and did come out for the 2021 Wisconsin State Fair!

Also saw the Waukesha Fair had it's highest attendance since 2005.

As this thread is about MU hoops season tickets. So, many factors goes into ones choice. The main thing we have seen in sports attendance is, you need to win.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 08:46:04 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
-Bill Walton

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2021, 09:29:09 AM »
Well, numbers can be looked at in many ways. I take 840k, as the goal was 600k with major heat & storms the first week. Reduced hours and events that didn't take place which cost attendance. The events that have the judging all in the morning for the first week, counts towards the attendance. So, people were desperate and did come out for the 2021 Wisconsin State Fair!

Also saw the Waukesha Fair had it's highest attendance since 2005.

As this thread is about MU hoops season tickets. So, many factors goes into ones choice. The main thing we have seen in sports attendance is, you need to win.

Your points about the Wisconsin fair are reasonable but debatable, but there are also other examples like the Minnesota state fair. The weather has been fabulous the last few days, and attendance is significantly down. And not just from a record year; they are using numbers from the previous four fairs combined.

As for Marquette, winning would definitely help, but it is still unclear whether winning would bring numbers back to the pre-Covid level.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2021, 09:53:29 AM »
As for Marquette, winning would definitely help, but it is still unclear whether winning would bring numbers back to the pre-Covid level.

It'll take a couple years to get this thing really going, but once that happens I have no concerns about crowd size.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2021, 09:57:27 AM »
When is the BE schedule being released? IIRC, it’s usually around Labor Day.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2021, 10:21:40 AM »
When is the BE schedule being released? IIRC, it’s usually around Labor Day.

In 2019-20, the last normal season, it was released on September 5th.  I would expect it to come out on 7th or 8th to avoid getting lost in football coverage.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Shooter Flatch

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2021, 10:35:35 AM »
Your points about the Wisconsin fair are reasonable but debatable, but there are also other examples like the Minnesota state fair. The weather has been fabulous the last few days, and attendance is significantly down. And not just from a record year; they are using numbers from the previous four fairs combined.

I think a lot of other factors are at play in Minnesota. That fair takes place in the Twin Cities. In light of events in that area since the last several fairs took place, you likely have people from other parts of the state with much less desire to drive into Minneapolis for the day.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2021, 10:53:00 AM »
The whole Deer District mania was people looking for something to do with no Summerfest (what's going on now is ridiculous).  It was college and high school kids having a blast.

MU bball has nothing going for it now.  No superstar on the roster to interest the fans, a rather disappointing group of players brought in by Shaka, and years of growing apathy all combining to make MU basketball an afterthought in the area.

And the comment earlier about cheap tix on the secondary market for many events is spot on. A friend was just in NYC and bought tickets for Springsteen on Broadway on Stubhub for half price.

I would disagree a little bit. I’m sure some of it was due to Covid. But I think ever since the Raptors showed Jurassic Park in the ECF, teams would try to recreate that. I feel if Covid never happened, the crowds would have been fairly similar.

I also don’t think MU will ever be able to recreate that just because the fan base is so much smaller.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2021, 11:08:04 AM »
Not to mention, the Deer District was hopping for Playoff games.  There would more likely be crowds for Wisconsin NCAA Tournament games in the Deer District than there would for Marquette NCAA Tournament games.  And all NCAA Tournament games are on a neutral court, so you aren't getting people who are hoping to take in the atmosphere of a home Playoff game.  Plus you're talking winter weather (for regular season Marquette games at Fiserv) vs. June (and this year July since the Playoffs were later) weather for Bucks Playoff home games.

I don't think it matters how much Shaka gets MU rolling.  I don't think you'll get Deer District to be a factor in MUBB.  Maybe the bars surrounding the Deer District, but that's about it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2021, 11:08:57 AM »
How's SummerFest's attendance with all the protocols?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2021, 11:10:47 AM »
Not to mention, the Deer District was hopping for Playoff games.  There would more likely be crowds for Wisconsin NCAA Tournament games in the Deer District than there would for Marquette NCAA Tournament games.  And all NCAA Tournament games are on a neutral court, so you aren't getting people who are hoping to take in the atmosphere of a home Playoff game.  Plus you're talking winter weather (for regular season Marquette games at Fiserv) vs. June (and this year July since the Playoffs were later) weather for Bucks Playoff home games.

I don't think it matters how much Shaka gets MU rolling.  I don't think you'll get Deer District to be a factor in MUBB.  Maybe the bars surrounding the Deer District, but that's about it.

It would never match the Bucks, but people like to party and drink in this state.  My hunch is, a final 4 run would be reason enough to fill up the Deer District
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2021, 11:27:49 AM »
It would never match the Bucks, but people like to party and drink in this state.  My hunch is, a final 4 run would be reason enough to fill up the Deer District

I do t agree. It would be cold. That’s one of the reasons it filled up this summer.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2021, 11:29:04 AM »
How's SummerFest's attendance with all the protocols?

Don’t know but I don’t think the protocols would be the main reason it would be down. I just don’t think September is a great time for this in any year.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2021, 11:47:39 AM »
More people in the DD in June/July than the n February?
Shocking!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2021, 12:07:49 PM »

I do t agree. It would be cold. That’s one of the reasons it filled up this summer.

I’m talking March moreso than the actual regular season.  I know the weather of Milwaukee doesn’t always cooperate in March, either.  I think a regional final and Final 4 would be pretty well attended
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2021, 12:24:28 PM »
I’m talking March moreso than the actual regular season.  I know the weather of Milwaukee doesn’t always cooperate in March, either.  I think a regional final and Final 4 would be pretty well attended

I think if it were anywhere it would be on campus.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2021, 12:52:06 PM »
Don’t know but I don’t think the protocols would be the main reason it would be down. I just don’t think September is a great time for this in any year.

Well, it severely limits your audience who can attend (way less than half of your target audience of under 40 being fully vaccinated..and few who would want to test that often if not jabbed).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2021, 01:07:44 PM »
How 'bout we get to the Final Four first ... and then let's see what happens in the Eagle Enclave!

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2021, 01:14:20 PM »

I bought Badger FB season tickets this year. Didn’t really want to go this weekend, tried to sell my tickets, but the get in price on stubhub is 1/3 of the ticket price from UW. 2nd biggest game (supposedly) within the B10 this year.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2021, 02:15:20 PM »
I bought Badger FB season tickets this year. Didn’t really want to go this weekend,
Why? 

A summary of UW football at Camp Randall:

Let's get drunk and show up late, entire fanbase complains about officiating following each play, yawn, Jump around, yawn, let's leave early and get drunk.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2021, 02:23:46 PM »
Why? 

Let's get drunk and show up late, entire fanbase complains about officiating following each play, yawn, Jump around, yawn, let's leave early and get drunk.

See a quarter and a half of the game, is all you need.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2021, 02:56:40 PM »
I bought Badger FB season tickets this year. Didn’t really want to go this weekend, tried to sell my tickets, but the get in price on stubhub is 1/3 of the ticket price from UW. 2nd biggest game (supposedly) within the B10 this year.

Ya, I see UW is using the marquee pricing for PSU & Michigan games this season. I saw $95 in the upper corner & $130 near the Fieldhouse. Wow!! Explains why you can get a deal on Stubhub.
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2021, 03:02:28 PM »
Ya, I see UW is using the marquee pricing for PSU & Michigan games this season. I saw $95 in the upper corner & $130 near the Fieldhouse. Wow!! Explains why you can get a deal on Stubhub.

Those dollar values seem OK. I might consider going to a UW football game if they paid me $95-$130 to go.

And they'd pay me extra to get me to actually watch the game, right?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2021, 03:22:21 PM »
Why? 

Student section maybe. A good seat at Camp Randall is a great college football experience. Better than a Packer game at Lambeau IMO. But there are too many bad seats at CR compared to Lambeau.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2021, 10:55:30 PM »
I quit baajr games when my guests leaned over and asked "what are they chanting?"  to which I had to reply "f7ck you, eat crap".

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2021, 06:54:30 AM »
I have close friends that are graduates of Michigan, Army and Northwestern. Thought it would be easier to just buy the seats and sell the rest or take my kids (not happening now with their vaccine status and I’m not interested in debating that). We also live 2.5 miles from Camp Randall. Then it turns out that I could have bought a 3 pack of just those games. Oooof. But it turns out, I can buy basketball single games early too to see if Brad Davison can be the first badger in 40 years to lose to MU 4 times in his career.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2021, 08:39:40 AM »
I have close friends that are graduates of Michigan, Army and Northwestern. Thought it would be easier to just buy the seats and sell the rest or take my kids (not happening now with their vaccine status and I’m not interested in debating that). We also live 2.5 miles from Camp Randall. Then it turns out that I could have bought a 3 pack of just those games. Oooof. But it turns out, I can buy basketball single games early too to see if Brad Davison can be the first badger in 40 years to lose to MU 4 times in his career.

Love it! This past season's win was one of the best ever with Justin's game winner. The looks on the faces of the rodents was priceless. Hope we top it with another win AND Davison getting ejected.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2021, 10:38:42 AM »
Better than a Packer game at Lambeau IMO.

You know, you burn in hell for comments like this one.

The Almighty Cheese God has noted this statement and will send you to Purgatory, where Vince Lombardi will chew you out for a Millennium.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2021, 10:45:48 AM »
I have attended dozens of games at both Camp Randall and Lambeau.  What's great about Lambeau is that there are few truly bad seats.  But if you have a good seat at CR, the atmosphere of a high level college game is way better than an NFL one IMO.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2021, 10:52:21 AM »

Ohio State has been charging over $200 for the Penn State game and less than a week before the Oregon game had over 10k tickets left at $160 apiece. They had to drop the prices to make sure to get 100k in the Shoe to watch the Ducks slap them around. The cheapest ticket for OSU at Michigan is $160, and that seat is located somewhere in Ypsilanti. Why pay those prices (plus parking) when you can sit at home, watch on a 4K big screen, and drink your own beer?

Student section maybe. A good seat at Camp Randall is a great college football experience. Better than a Packer game at Lambeau IMO. But there are too many bad seats at CR compared to Lambeau.

I'll take a college game over a regular season pro game any day.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2021, 10:59:03 AM »
Ohio State has been charging over $200 for the Penn State game and less than a week before the Oregon game had over 10k tickets left at $160 apiece. They had to drop the prices to make sure to get 100k in the Shoe to watch the Ducks slap them around. The cheapest ticket for OSU at Michigan is $160, and that seat is located somewhere in Ypsilanti. Why pay those prices (plus parking) when you can sit at home, watch on a 4K big screen, and drink your own beer?

I'll take a college game over a regular season pro game any day.
I get staying at home for football. Big screen, no line to the bathroom, etc. Yet, being at the games with the bands and feeling the roar of the crowd can't be beat as well.
-Bill Walton

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2021, 11:04:38 AM »
I get staying at home for football. Big screen, no line to the bathroom, etc. Yet, being at the games with the bands and feeling the roar of the crowd can't be beat as well.

basketball is definitely different being a more intiment setting.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 11:31:22 AM by Billy Hoyle »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2021, 11:10:03 AM »
basketball is definitely different being a more interment setting.
Oh ya. I'm excited to be at 33 games in person this year!
-Bill Walton

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2021, 01:38:47 PM »
Anyone know how the student ticket sales went this year?   Curious how demand is after the year off and all that's happened in the last couple years.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2021, 01:49:04 PM »
Anyone know how the student ticket sales went this year?   Curious how demand is after the year off and all that's happened in the last couple years.
The new format went well. Almost sold out.
-Bill Walton

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2021, 02:48:25 PM »
The new format went well. Almost sold out.
wat new format?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2021, 02:50:39 PM »
Iz der a decrease inn STDs two, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2021, 02:53:30 PM »
wat new format?

Upperclassmen who previously bought student tickets got to buy their tickets first. The following day upperclassmen who didn't previously buy student tickets got to buy their tickets. Underclassmen were allowed to buy their tickets the day after that.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2021, 03:03:12 PM »
Sharp decline after Rowsey left…..

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2021, 03:28:24 PM »
Curious, with seniors, juniors, etc going one after another .. are they buying general admission seats like before?   Or not?

I remember it was GA for the BC, I guess I didn't pay attention when we moved to the Chaluparena.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2021, 03:35:20 PM »
Curious, with seniors, juniors, etc going one after another .. are they buying general admission seats like before?   Or not?

I remember it was GA for the BC, I guess I didn't pay attention when we moved to the Chaluparena.

Crean insisting upon GA for students was a brilliant move. As a freshman and sophomore in the 90's it was discouraging to get tickets for Row X  in the corner of the upper level as a student, especially when the lower level wasn't full and the ushers were super strict about letting people down there. Let the diehards be as close as possible.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2021, 07:00:38 PM »

General admission at Fiserv Forum
-Bill Walton

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2021, 08:43:56 PM »
General admission at Fiserv Forum

Mkay .. so what's the point of letting seniors purchase first?    Fear they'd run out of GA tickets?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2021, 09:15:35 PM »
Mkay .. so what's the point of letting seniors purchase first?    Fear they'd run out of GA tickets?
Yes.
Marquette has every year sold out before the season started in the student section at FF.
-Bill Walton

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2021, 09:49:13 PM »
As a freshman and sophomore in the 90's it was discouraging to get tickets for Row X  in the corner of the upper level as a student, especially when the lower level wasn't full and the ushers were super strict about letting people down there.

Yup.  Never understood why that was policed so strongly during the Deane period.  I had some friends with lowers and we'd pass around and reuse the same couple tickets to show the ushers multiple times in order to get the full group down there.  Led to some awkward moments during a give-away once when I was holding a stub which won a free trip to Vegas.  Wasn't my ticket.  Gave it to the guy who helped me get down there but turns out the stub wasn't his either.  Ended up a mess that's too long to explain here.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2021, 06:49:56 PM »
Been waiting for someone to ask that question.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2021, 11:12:07 AM »
Led to some awkward moments during a give-away once when I was holding a stub which won a free trip to Vegas.  Wasn't my ticket.  Gave it to the guy who helped me get down there but turns out the stub wasn't his either.  Ended up a mess that's too long to explain here.

LOL, that's awesome!  I would love to hear how that got resolved.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

feedback