[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Louisville suspend Chris Mack six games for role in extortion case  (Read 7093 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Incredible that all the crazy sh!t happens to coaches at 'ville.  Does anyone remember Porcini and the recruiting scandals?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32096612/louisville-cardinals-suspend-men-basketball-coach-chris-mack-six-games-role-extortion-case

In May, the acting U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Kentucky charged former basketball assistant Dino Gaudio with one federal count of attempting to extort money and other things of value from the university.

According to the charge, Gaudio, during an in-person meeting with Louisville officials on March 17, "threatened to report to the media allegations that the University of Louisville men's basketball program had violated [NCAA] rules in its production of recruiting videos for prospective student-athletes and its use of graduate assistants in practice, unless the University of Louisville paid [Gaudio] his salary for an additional 17 months or provided the lump sum equivalent of 17 months of salary."

Later that day, according to the charge, Gaudio "sent a text message to the University of Louisville personnel containing one of the recruiting videos he was threatening to send to the media." The text message traveled outside Kentucky, according to the government.

On June 4, Gaudio, 64, pleaded guilty to a charge of interstate communication with intent to extort. As part of a plea deal with prosecutors, he was sentenced Friday to one year of probation and a $10,000 fine.

"I regret that any of my unintentional actions or failures to follow University guidelines have brought unnecessary attention to our outstanding athletics programs and University," Mack said in a statement. "I understand that I could have handled matters differently and therefore I accept this suspension. While it will kill me to be away from our basketball family in November, I will do everything possible to set them up for success before and after my time away, and I am fully confident that our coaches, staff and student-athletes will rise to the occasion."
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Louisville suspend Chris Mack six games for role in extortion case
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 06:00:03 AM »
Incredible that all the crazy sh!t happens to coaches at 'ville.  Does anyone remember Porcini and the recruiting scandals?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32096612/louisville-cardinals-suspend-men-basketball-coach-chris-mack-six-games-role-extortion-case

In May, the acting U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Kentucky charged former basketball assistant Dino Gaudio with one federal count of attempting to extort money and other things of value from the university.

According to the charge, Gaudio, during an in-person meeting with Louisville officials on March 17, "threatened to report to the media allegations that the University of Louisville men's basketball program had violated [NCAA] rules in its production of recruiting videos for prospective student-athletes and its use of graduate assistants in practice, unless the University of Louisville paid [Gaudio] his salary for an additional 17 months or provided the lump sum equivalent of 17 months of salary."

Later that day, according to the charge, Gaudio "sent a text message to the University of Louisville personnel containing one of the recruiting videos he was threatening to send to the media." The text message traveled outside Kentucky, according to the government.

On June 4, Gaudio, 64, pleaded guilty to a charge of interstate communication with intent to extort. As part of a plea deal with prosecutors, he was sentenced Friday to one year of probation and a $10,000 fine.

"I regret that any of my unintentional actions or failures to follow University guidelines have brought unnecessary attention to our outstanding athletics programs and University," Mack said in a statement. "I understand that I could have handled matters differently and therefore I accept this suspension. While it will kill me to be away from our basketball family in November, I will do everything possible to set them up for success before and after my time away, and I am fully confident that our coaches, staff and student-athletes will rise to the occasion."

Does anyone remember Porcinis?  Have you not been paying attention?  It's still worth a couple bad 4ever jokes a year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 09:44:02 PM »
Six games? In the preseason? Oh, talk about Draconian measures!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 11:21:30 PM »
Six games? In the preseason? Oh, talk about Draconian measures!

I'm surprised Murray State didn't get the death penalty.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 06:19:11 AM »
I may have missed it in the story but what did Mack do or not do?

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 08:18:06 AM »

Does anyone remember Porcinis?  Have you not been paying attention?  It's still worth a couple bad 4ever jokes a year.

Don't forget that 'Ville was also caught paying for two hookers for recruits.  One for the recruit and another for the dad.

Also, they were wrapped up in the FBI scandal about paying for recruits.

The bottom line, it is not a real basketball scandal unless 'Ville is in the middle of it.  And if you have a scandal, not including 'Ville, you're not looking hard enough.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 08:47:31 AM »
Don't forget that 'Ville was also caught paying for two hookers for recruits.  One for the recruit and another for the dad.

Also, they were wrapped up in the FBI scandal about paying for recruits.

The bottom line, it is not a real basketball scandal unless 'Ville is in the middle of it.  And if you have a scandal, not including 'Ville, you're not looking hard enough.

I bet Louisville will continue to win a lot of basketball games
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2021, 08:53:36 AM »
Hate to state the obvious but it pays to cheat. I respect Nova and Gonzaga more everyday.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2021, 09:04:24 AM »
Hate to state the obvious but it pays to cheat. I respect Nova and Gonzaga more everyday.

Eh, don’t be so sure about those places being squeaky clean

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2021, 09:10:03 AM »
Yeah I find myself caring less and less about recruiting violations. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2021, 09:33:50 AM »
I may have missed it in the story but what did Mack do or not do?

Probably doing the things Dino was extorting them for and having it become public.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2021, 03:35:33 PM »
Eh, don’t be so sure about those places being squeaky clean
Well, do tell. We're all ears.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2021, 04:08:02 PM »
Well, do tell. We're all ears.

I don’t believe any high level basketball programs are clean.  Some are “dirtier” than others. 

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2021, 07:09:49 PM »
So ... Rico ...  are y saying

Marquette is not “ clean “ ??

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 07:14:04 AM »
So ... Rico ...  are y saying

Marquette is not “ clean “ ??

He said "high level." Sadly, that's not us lately.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2021, 09:38:40 AM »
Somehow I am still glad Marquette is not the Louisville program.
But I am sure, there are those whose philosophy is win at all costs.
Maybe I just like to stand on my moral and ethical soap box.

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2021, 10:23:11 AM »
Somehow I am still glad Marquette is not the Louisville program.
But I am sure, there are those whose philosophy is win at all costs.
Maybe I just like to stand on my moral and ethical soap box.

The question isn't one of absolutes.  Is a program "clean" or is it "dirty."  The question is how dirty is a program.  I don' believe Marquette pays players.  Marquette doesn't have sham classes.  But I have heard enough stories to know that Marquette basketball players have received some benefit that may violate some NCAA rule somewhere, but in the grand scheme of things isn't a big deal.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2021, 10:41:09 AM »
Probably doing the things Dino was extorting them for and having it become public.

Yeah, this definitely feels like a case of pleading guilty to lesser charges. 

Dino's dirt wasn't made up, he just tried to use it for his own monetary gain rather than taking it public as a way to embarrass the team.  It backfired on him big-time, and gave UL a way to paint themselves as victims to the outside world.  That being said, there's no way Mack gets suspended 6 games if the accusations weren't true and this was just for "not reporting attempted extortion through the appropriate channels". 

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2021, 11:31:53 AM »

The interesting thing here is that the Mack/Gaudio relationship goes back 30 years to when Mack was a player and Gaudio an assistant at Xavier. They spent a decent amount of time together as assistants under Skip Prosser at both Xavier and Wake Forest.

The transcript is something else. I don't get the impression that Mack is dirty so much as clueless.
https://www.cardchronicle.com/2021/8/27/22645030/transcript-audio-chris-mack-dino-gaudio-conversation

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2021, 07:11:16 PM »
speaking of coaches infractions-looks like mark few had a few too many over the weekend-pulled over for DUI

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32166753/gonzaga-coach-mark-cited-idaho-driving-drunk
don't...don't don't don't don't

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2021, 07:57:20 PM »
speaking of coaches infractions-looks like mark few had a few too many over the weekend-pulled over for DUI

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32166753/gonzaga-coach-mark-cited-idaho-driving-drunk
Sad story for one of the good guys in the sport we love. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2021, 08:09:55 PM »
I predict Few will own up, take his punishment, forfeit some salary, go through some processes, and remain coach at Gonzaga.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2021, 08:53:55 AM »
I predict Few will own up, take his punishment, forfeit some salary, go through some processes, and remain coach at Gonzaga.
Step 1 of 'The Tower Prophecies', owning up:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/pk1nmw/statement_from_mark_few/

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2021, 10:21:07 AM »

Depends on if Nancy Zimpher (or someone like her) is running Gonzaga these days.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2021, 10:25:19 AM »
Mark Few wins basketball games.  He ain’t going nowhere

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2021, 10:56:13 AM »
Mark Few wins basketball games.  He ain’t going nowhere
He only goes somewhere else if he wants to go.
Goal is National Championship

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2021, 10:57:49 AM »
He only goes somewhere else if he wants to go.

Yup.  They’ll suspend him for some games, no doubt, but unless he had a pregnant coed in the car, a DUI isn’t getting him in any real trouble

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2021, 11:28:12 AM »
Yup.  They’ll suspend him for some games, no doubt, but unless he had a pregnant coed in the car, a DUI isn’t getting him in any real trouble
I wouldn't suspend him unless he asked to be suspended...

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2021, 12:02:52 PM »

I am not so sure that he will be suspended. To be clear, DWI is a really Big Deal but how does this relate to Gonzaga or the team? It is over and done, fortunately without anyone being injured or killed, so the best outcome may be for Few to do some public service ads/appearances about DWI. Let the punishment be handled by the Judge.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2021, 12:21:51 PM »
If he was drunk on beer, there will be no discipline from Gonzaga, because you don't mess with hoppy.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2021, 12:42:04 PM »
I am not so sure that he will be suspended. To be clear, DWI is a really Big Deal but how does this relate to Gonzaga or the team? It is over and done, fortunately without anyone being injured or killed, so the best outcome may be for Few to do some public service ads/appearances about DWI. Let the punishment be handled by the Judge.

Whether or not he killed or injured someone else is beside the point, He put others at risk and that’s a big deal. To me anyway a much bigger deal than some of the things deemed grounds for dismissal these days.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2021, 01:01:41 PM »
Poor judgement and self-control on Few's part. If Gonzaga passes this off as a "big nothing," they are $$$$ whores and hypocrites, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2021, 01:07:21 PM »
Poor judgement and self-control on Few's part. If Gonzaga passes this off as a "big nothing," they are $$$$ whores and hypocrites, aina?

Eh not really.  Suspending someone for a DWI isn't something usually done in the workplace, and its not like he's a repeat offender.  (That we know of.)

And regardless, suspending Few for a couple of games isn't going to cost Gonzaga any money.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2021, 01:45:31 PM »

I'd bet Gonzaga suspends him for a few games to start the year - nothing that would keep them from winning those games, but at least sends a PR message.  He'll likely be fined, too, or will donate some agreed-upon sum to a charity or organization. 

As others have said, DUIs are a much bigger deal than people make them out to be when they happen to rich white folks.  It's not just a "lapse in judgement", as is often the excuse, but an active choice to do the (very avoidable) wrong thing.  If Mark Few had 3 too many cocktails and hit is wife, we wouldn't call that a "lapse in judgement", and we wouldn't be saying that his employer should leave his punishment to the courts. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2021, 01:49:46 PM »

Well, yeah, that’s big-time college athletics.  Anyone participating are $$$$ whores and hypocrites

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2021, 02:11:37 PM »
I predict 10 games, half of his 21-22 salary, mandatory counseling, public service and PSA's.   Public service will be hoop clinics with the proceeds going to a TBD charity.   They will take it seriously but not fire him.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2021, 02:50:49 PM »

Whether or not he killed or injured someone else is beside the point, He put others at risk and that’s a big deal. To me anyway a much bigger deal than some of the things deemed grounds for dismissal these days.

You talking unvaccinated people without masks or DUI or both? 

I kid, I kid

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2021, 04:22:53 PM »
Gonzaga is not going to remove a coach over a 1st time misdemeanor dui. Much like you wouldn't be fired from your job. Scoop can be nuts.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2021, 03:40:35 PM »
I predict 10 games, half of his 21-22 salary, mandatory counseling, public service and PSA's.   Public service will be hoop clinics with the proceeds going to a TBD charity.   They will take it seriously but not fire him.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/gonzaga-basketball-mark-few-suspended-dui-arrest

I overestimated Gonzaga.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2021, 03:57:57 PM »
Tower ...

U did not really think he’d get a 10
game suspension did u ?  The Zags
gave him a ( light ) slap on the wrist.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2021, 04:09:58 PM »
I am not surprised he retained his job.  I thought there would be a longer suspension.  Meh.

feedback