Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: New Frosh Class at MU  (Read 37107 times)

Warrior of Law

• All American
New Frosh Class at MU
« on: August 24, 2021, 05:11:28 PM »
According to a University release, the top feeder HS for this year's class:

Reagan Prep High School in Milwaukee with 24 students. Cristo Rey Jesuit High School sent 21 graduates to Marquette, the third-most. Loyola Academy in Chicago is second with 22 graduates

Quite surprised that MUHS didn't make the cut. Good luck to the new 1650 frosh this year.

"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
Re: New Frosh Class at MU
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 07:19:38 PM »
Interesting that the two Milwaukee feeders are both relatively new schools.

Not totally surprising that Cristo Rey outpaced MUHS when you think about it.  Both Jesuit HS’s, but given then demographics of CR and it’s intended student base, there are likely many more “first in family” college attendees which are often inclined to stay closer to home. I’d imagine MUHS (and DSHA for that matter) have a far more scattered college attendance distribution.  Certainly was the case 15 years ago when I was in school.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 06:55:41 AM »
Many of my Marquette friends sent their kids to MUHS and only one or two ended up at Marquette.  I was told Marquette was too close to home as the main reason for not attending.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 09:42:29 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 08:59:01 AM »
Cristo Rey seems like such an excellent program.   The interns I've worked with that attended there were all top notch and, importantly, had plans/drive/ability/skillset to thrive in the future regardless of their background.  I feel like it is one of the best things to happen to Milwaukee in a long time in terms of education.  I wish it could be replicated a thousand times over.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 09:09:37 AM »
Reagan HS is a fantastic school as well.  I have a niece and nephew driving about 20 minutes from another public school district to attend, and their parents could not be happier with that decision.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 09:18:50 AM »
Fluff

I had a niece and nephew attend Reagan and both loved it. Definitely a shining star in the MPS system.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 09:26:50 AM »
I wonder where Fenwick was on the list.  They usually have Loyola Academy numbers gong to Marquette.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 09:32:24 AM »
Cristo Rey seems like such an excellent program.   The interns I've worked with that attended there were all top notch and, importantly, had plans/drive/ability/skillset to thrive in the future regardless of their background.  I feel like it is one of the best things to happen to Milwaukee in a long time in terms of education.  I wish it could be replicated a thousand times over.

I don't doubt that, but their program is so tough and strict on little things before defaulting to expulsion that they're able to artificially boost their numbers. If you get rid of everybody that's in the middle, everybody for slight misdemeanor (untucked shirt), have mandatory internships, mandatory school year round, then you're only dealing with the cream of the crop and of course there's no weak candidates because they've already been taken away by then. Essentially if you've only ever seen cream you'd assume that's the only things that comes out of a cow because you've never had to see the milk the farmers skim the cream from before it gets to you.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 09:34:51 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 11:00:08 AM »
I don't doubt that, but their program is so tough and strict on little things before defaulting to expulsion that they're able to artificially boost their numbers. If you get rid of everybody that's in the middle, everybody for slight misdemeanor (untucked shirt), have mandatory internships, mandatory school year round, then you're only dealing with the cream of the crop and of course there's no weak candidates because they've already been taken away by then. Essentially if you've only ever seen cream you'd assume that's the only things that comes out of a cow because you've never had to see the milk the farmers skim the cream from before it gets to you.

Devils Advocate, that’s not necessarily a bad thing.  Their trying to create an elite prep school setting for high achievers in the MPS system. If you’re on scholarship to a private school, there are a number of requirements to adhere to that seem outrageously strict for the average MPS student.  I’m reasonably certain they aren’t expelling otherwise good students for having their shirt untucked once or twice.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 11:10:26 AM »
Devils Advocate, that’s not necessarily a bad thing.  Their trying to create an elite prep school setting for high achievers in the MPS system. If you’re on scholarship to a private school, there are a number of requirements to adhere to that seem outrageously strict for the average MPS student.  I’m reasonably certain they aren’t expelling otherwise good students for having their shirt untucked once or twice.

That I don't know, I'm only relaying the grievances voiced to me by my fiancé when she was offered a job there.
Maigh Eo for Sam

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 11:15:07 AM »

I've looked into these allegations before, and this wholly and completely undermines what the school has accomplished.  They do hold students to a high standard (but I never heard of a student being dismissed for an untucked shirt), but the number of kids who left or dismissed for discipline reasons is (if I recall) something like 1% of all students.  And that was in their national network... which the Milwaukee school is one of their best schools and likely out performs their network as a whole in this regard and in academics overall.  Not to mention their overall retention rate year over year, even with the higher standards and requirements, outpaces most other MPS and charter schools. 

All of this is ignoring the amazing things they accomplish with these students.  Things I have witnessed first hand.  Students who can barely speak english, operate a phone, understand an excel spreadsheet becoming poised, professional, skilled workers who come out of their shell and open up to new aspirations that they never thought possible before.  Things like going to college, traveling, finding a professional career, etc.  It really is awe inspiring when you see a youngster go through this transformation right in front of your eyes.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 11:20:31 AM by UWW2MU »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 11:37:26 AM »
I've looked into these allegations before, and this wholly and completely undermines what the school has accomplished.  They do hold students to a high standard (but I never heard of a student being dismissed for an untucked shirt), but the number of kids who left or dismissed for discipline reasons is (if I recall) something like 1% of all students.  And that was in their national network... which the Milwaukee school is one of their best schools and likely out performs their network as a whole in this regard and in academics overall.  Not to mention their overall retention rate year over year, even with the higher standards and requirements, outpaces most other MPS and charter schools. 

All of this is ignoring the amazing things they accomplish with these students.  Things I have witnessed first hand.  Students who can barely speak english, operate a phone, understand an excel spreadsheet becoming poised, professional, skilled workers who come out of their shell and open up to new aspirations that they never thought possible before.  Things like going to college, traveling, finding a professional career, etc.  It really is awe inspiring when you see a youngster go through this transformation right in front of your eyes.

I'll trust your research, as I said to Wags I am only repeating things that were said to me from my fiancé about the potential job.
Maigh Eo for Sam

KCWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2021, 11:56:57 AM »
What's lost in all this is that the freshman class is only 1,650 students. That's the same size as last year's COVID freshman class, which was the smallest since 1997. A "normal" freshman class is around 2,000 or slightly above. This trend is not good for the university's finances.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2021, 12:25:07 PM »
Plenty of record class sizes around the country given the increased number of gap years/deferments last year. Not a pretty number for MU.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2021, 12:29:00 PM »
I'll trust your research, as I said to Wags I am only repeating things that were said to me from my fiancé about the potential job.

And to be fair, there's a part of your original statement that has truth in it.   

What's lost in all this is that the freshman class is only 1,650 students. That's the same size as last year's COVID freshman class, which was the smallest since 1997. A "normal" freshman class is around 2,000 or slightly above. This trend is not good for the university's finances.

Not joking when I say this...  but some successful basketball seasons would help with this!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2021, 12:42:00 PM »
It just seems like the "growth strategy" of just five or six years ago has turned around.  They haven't gotten rid of any of their top admissions people, which leads me to believe that they are intentionally decreasing their enrollment and focusing on programs like Nursing, Business and Engineering.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2021, 12:56:40 PM »

Question though, do we have room for more?  My class was in the 1400's in 1994. I know we put caps on admission post 2003 and were renting local hotels and turning study lounges into room because we didn't have room in the halls. Is MU trying to limit enrollment and bring in a higher level of student?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2021, 01:05:27 PM »
Does acceptance rates tie into this at all?
The acceptance rate I found on the Internet for MU for 2019-20 was 83%.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2021, 01:11:47 PM »
I've heard of schools pushing some incoming freshmen off until Jan 2022 due to a space crunch created by some students on not graduating on time.  Could that be in play with this smaller class size?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2021, 01:14:40 PM »
Does acceptance rates tie into this at all?
The acceptance rate I found on the Internet for MU for 2019-20 was 83%.

Not really.  They are targeting people who they have been marketing to for years, and who they want to get applications from so the acceptance rate is going to be high.  The key is who then deposits from those acceptances.

KCWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2021, 01:21:59 PM »
Question though, do we have room for more?  My class was in the 1400's in 1994. I know we put caps on admission post 2003 and were renting local hotels and turning study lounges into room because we didn't have room in the halls. Is MU trying to limit enrollment and bring in a higher level of student?

I have a student there now. Last year, there was plenty of room in the dorms for more. Many did not have roommates in doubles and there were even empty rooms. With the same number of freshman this year, I imagine it is similar.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2021, 01:47:30 PM »

Galway, I can't (and won't - I assume everything you report is accurate) speak to the particulars of Cristo Rey Milwaukee, but I can speak to Christ the King Jesuit College Prep in Chicago (Austin), one of the three Cristo Rey schools in the Chicago area.  It is tough on the rules (and do not look for reasons to bounce kids), and there is a fair amount of attrition (more due to grades), but the school does everything to encourage success. The kids who attend are not the "cream" of the west side, as those students can attend the best public schools (WY, Payton, Northside -you know these schools) or get scholarships to Ignatius, Fenwick etc.  CtK students mostly are B/C students who typically are driven by the opportunity for a college prep education and the internship model (CtK is not year round school, BTW), as well as a safe environment.  CtK does get 100% of grads into colleges, but that includes City colleges, other two year programs and the state directional schools, while also getting a few into each of Marquette, Loyola and Illinois. It is a wonderful program as is the Cristo Rey Network as a whole.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2021, 03:12:12 PM »
I graduated from MUHS in 1971. There were a few students students from my freshmen class who were told not to return for their sophomore year either due to poor grades or the trouble they made as freshmen. I think that was a big advantage for serious students. I do not understand why our education system dummies itself down to cater to kids that do not care and tend to disrupt education for other students. Lack of accountability is why our education system lags behind other countries.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2021, 03:19:57 PM »
I graduated from MUHS in 1971. There were a few students students from my freshmen class who were told not to return for their sophomore year either due to poor grades or the trouble they made as freshmen. I think that was a big advantage for serious students. I do not understand why our education system dummies itself down to cater to kids that do not care and tend to disrupt education for other students. Lack of accountability is why our education system lags behind other countries.

Well no.  Not really. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2021, 03:41:32 PM »

I think that's still the same situation at MUHS today.  And most good private schools.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback