[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 318306 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #1075 on: July 01, 2022, 10:41:32 AM »
No one is tuning in to watch Ann Arbor minor league club either
And USC will never be in a conference with Rutgers.

Never underestimate the power of gambling in all of this. Michigan, the Big10, Fox and ESPN don't care is only 20,000 people show up to a game. This is about Money, TV ratings and gambling that drive the ratings.

Take gambling out of CFB and CBB, and the rating would be awful. The NCAA Tourney golden goose of college sports, without gambling, would be a small fraction of what it is now.

My point is, I don't think anyone cares if University of Michigan has football. They care about TV, Money, and money. And if players can get paid better by Ann Arbor football than the University of Michigan, than that is where the superior talent will go.

School pride, conference loyalty, traditional rivals are all antiquated notions of a bygone era. Players, coaches and TV networks demand to be paid.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1076 on: July 01, 2022, 10:52:09 AM »

Never underestimate the power of gambling in all of this. Michigan, the Big10, Fox and ESPN don't care is only 20,000 people show up to a game. This is about Money, TV ratings and gambling that drive the ratings.

Take gambling out of CFB and CBB, and the rating would be awful. The NCAA Tourney golden goose of college sports, without gambling, would be a small fraction of what it is now.

My point is, I don't think anyone cares if University of Michigan has football. They care about TV, Money, and money. And if players can get paid better by Ann Arbor football than the University of Michigan, than that is where the superior talent will go.

School pride, conference loyalty, traditional rivals are all antiquated notions of a bygone era. Players, coaches and TV networks demand to be paid.
Marquette's basketball program has been constantly on the move over its existence. Rivals and conferences come and go, but we still watch. Professional sports teams move divisions, conferences, and cities, but we still watch.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1077 on: July 01, 2022, 11:04:45 AM »

So why isn't any other  minor league a major cash cow? Or even a minor cash cow?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1078 on: July 01, 2022, 11:15:27 AM »
So why isn't any other  minor league a major cash cow? Or even a minor cash cow?
I submit to you college basketball and football have acted as minor leagues and have been cash cows.

Foreign basketball pays very well as a minor league for the NBA.

There has never been a serious attempt for minor leagues as you see in MLB due to college competition, but we've never had serious competition for the PGA Tour until now either and here we are.

I don't know if college sports will prevail but I do know anyone who can make money at it, players, coaches, TV, IRS and foreign investors, will tear it down before they give up trying.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1079 on: July 01, 2022, 12:49:59 PM »
"The Big East is filled with mostly mid-major"

And I stopped reading.  Lol
The reality is you will be considered mid-major, if you do not have football.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1080 on: July 01, 2022, 01:01:43 PM »

Correct. People can try and make “Power Six” a thing but it never will be. It’s the big guys and the rest of us. Money talks. It’s going to be like FBS and FCS.

But, even many with football will be left out.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 04:00:27 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #1081 on: July 01, 2022, 01:16:48 PM »
Twitter reports from Big 12 sources, Kansas is talking to Big East and going independent in football

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1082 on: July 01, 2022, 01:17:05 PM »
Big 10 will not expand further until they get a definitive in/out answer from Notre Dame, per Dennis Dodd.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1083 on: July 01, 2022, 01:26:48 PM »
Twitter reports from Big 12 sources, Kansas is talking to Big East and going independent in football

Those are flimsy at best.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1084 on: July 01, 2022, 01:34:47 PM »
Yeah I don't understand why KU would voluntarily/proactively leave B12 for the BE.  That seems like their last resort and the BE will always be there in the event they need to.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1085 on: July 01, 2022, 01:36:18 PM »

That would be very surprising considering that offer would always be on the table.  No reason for them to jump the gun here.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1086 on: July 01, 2022, 01:39:26 PM »
That would be very surprising considering that offer would always be on the table.  No reason for them to jump the gun here.

Especially with reports suggesting the Big 16 is waiting on Notre Dame at the moment.  If that happens, I think things escalate quickly
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1087 on: July 01, 2022, 01:41:20 PM »
I would LOVE for this to be true but it make zero sense. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1088 on: July 01, 2022, 01:43:30 PM »
I submit to you college basketball and football have acted as minor leagues and have been cash cows.

Foreign basketball pays very well as a minor league for the NBA.

There has never been a serious attempt for minor leagues as you see in MLB due to college competition, but we've never had serious competition for the PGA Tour until now either and here we are.

I don't know if college sports will prevail but I do know anyone who can make money at it, players, coaches, TV, IRS and foreign investors, will tear it down before they give up trying.

A minor league based on school affiliation. I don't see them week electing to give up something making them literally billions to try to make something work that has never worked before despite multiple attempts.

The big schools may break off from the NCAA one day and not take the Big East with them.  I don't think it will happen but I see why others do. Completely dropping school affiliation in favor of the a glorified g league? Not going to happen.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1089 on: July 01, 2022, 01:43:33 PM »
Curious what happens when the schools that are accustomed to constant success can no longer maintain that level of winning in the new mega-conferences.  There can only be one B16 and SEC champion after all.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1090 on: July 01, 2022, 01:47:57 PM »
The perception or terminology maybe "mid-major", the undisputable facts are that the Big East is top 4-5 (2-5 depending on year) basketball conference.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1091 on: July 01, 2022, 01:55:13 PM »
The perception or terminology maybe "mid-major", the undisputable facts are that the Big East is top 4-5 (2-5 depending on year) basketball conference.

There is a certain advantage to being doubted

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1092 on: July 01, 2022, 03:08:33 PM »
Marquette's basketball program has been constantly on the move over its existence. Rivals and conferences come and go, but we still watch. Professional sports teams move divisions, conferences, and cities, but we still watch.

Hmm...Milwaukee was pretty pissed when the Braves left for Atlanta I know I was there, Cleveland was pretty pissed when their beloved Browns moved to Baltimore, Baltimore was pissed when the Colts moved to Indianapolis, and St Louis was pissed twice when their beloved Cardinal moved to Arizona and the Rams returned to LA. New York has never forgiven the Dodgers and Giants moving to the West Coast despite the fact it was the City that let the fans down. The only fans that were not too upset is when the Rams left for St. Louis as they did not want the city paying for a new stadium. With the exception of St. Louis all those Cities got replacement teams whic is why we still watch. If that did not happen I doubt fans in those place would be still watching. I'm sure there some fans in St. Louis that route for Kansas City but still miss their Cardinals.

Hell, there are some here upset that MU gave up football and we should bring it back. In fact I have not watched a college football game in years.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1093 on: July 01, 2022, 03:48:43 PM »
However, you are only thinking in terms of basketball. Big East is very good in basketball, but their sports program as a whole is going to be perceived as mid-major. The general sports public does not think about the Big East during football season.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1094 on: July 01, 2022, 04:09:15 PM »

That and $80 will fill my gas tank.

The NCAA has a separate rules sin some categories for the “Autonomy Five.” The other conferences, the Big East included, does not have to follow those rules. It’s us and them and sorry to say, we won’t be invited into their club and even those in it now are about to be asked to leave.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1095 on: July 01, 2022, 04:12:49 PM »
Kansas to the Big East so Creighton is no longer the dirtiest program?

Add Gonzaga, ND & Kansas and not have to worry about anything for 50 years.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1096 on: July 01, 2022, 04:21:11 PM »
That and $80 will fill my gas tank.

The NCAA has a separate rules sin some categories for the “Autonomy Five.” The other conferences, the Big East included, does not have to follow those rules. It’s us and them and sorry to say, we won’t be invited into their club and even those in it now are about to be asked to leave.
I never meant my comment as some sort of demand or expectation to be grouped in with the P5(4). Lack of football is a massive differentiator. 'Mid major' is a sort of slang term and not an official designation but the Big East is high-major by any objective measure for basketball.  Those who call the BE mid-major are trolls trying to get  under Big East fan's skin. The same 'trolls' have called the SEC and Pac 12 mid-major for years also.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1097 on: July 01, 2022, 04:27:26 PM »
Whoa, iz Marquette leavin' Milwaukee, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1098 on: July 01, 2022, 10:02:39 PM »
Rumors of Notre Dame and Oregon to big ten

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1099 on: July 01, 2022, 11:55:03 PM »
Curious what happens when the schools that are accustomed to constant success can no longer maintain that level of winning in the new mega-conferences.  There can only be one B16 and SEC champion after all.
I guess it depends on what your definition of success is. Given that very few programs actually compete for a playoff spot regularly, I don’t think this is a huge issue. The last few decades we’ve seen plenty of schools go from elite to mediocre or worse. They still get 100k people in attendance.