[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 325401 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #800 on: January 22, 2022, 09:29:06 AM »
You're probably right, but it would be a shame. I'd much rather have 13-18 west florida A&M sweep through their conference tourney and get a chance to slay Duke, then see a 6-12 in conference Penn State team get that spot.

It's also.why I think the FA Cup is the second best soccer tourney on the planet. I love that the Semi-pro guys who work.down at the pub and and play on 3rd division Little Wigginton Junction have the chance to take on Chelsea.

David v Golitah is what puts the Madness in MM. Take away the Davids and it's a much less interesting event.

Agree about the FA cup it's why I've wanted to even include the winners of D3 and D2.
Maigh Eo for Sam

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #801 on: January 22, 2022, 10:43:06 AM »
pull a Louisville and Toronto and just absorb every suburb.

On January 1, 1998, Toronto was greatly enlarged, not through traditional annexations, but as an amalgamation of the Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto and its six lower-tier constituent municipalities; East York, Etobicoke, North York, Scarborough, York, and the original city itself. They were dissolved by an act of the Government of Ontario, and formed into a single-tier City of Toronto (colloquially dubbed the "megacity") replacing all six governments. The unified city became the fifth most populous city proper in North America, behind Mexico City, New York City, Los Angeles and Chicago. In 2013, it surpassed Chicago in population.[15]

Nashville did that back in 1963. Was the first piece of what made the city grow to what it is today. Of course, the city has spilled well beyond the borders of Davidson County now.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #802 on: January 22, 2022, 11:42:19 AM »
Missouri Valley will announce UIC as its 12th member next week, sources told CBS Sports. A big add since the MVC is losing Loyola Chicago to the A-10.

The Valley has plucked Belmont, Murray State + UIC in just a few months’ time
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 11:44:02 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #803 on: January 22, 2022, 11:45:21 AM »
Missouri Valley will announce UIC as its 12th member next week, sources told CBS Sports. A big add since the MVC is losing Loyola Chicago to the A-10.

Valley talk will continue to dominate the Chicago sports market
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #804 on: January 22, 2022, 11:50:02 AM »

Glad they added a couple “programs” and didn’t just chase markets.  They were talking about schools like Arlington at one point and I think that would have been awful.

I know that UIC isn’t much my guess is that many of the Valley schools have substantial alumni bases in Chicago.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #805 on: January 22, 2022, 12:03:56 PM »
UT-Arlington will go back to the WAC.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #806 on: January 22, 2022, 12:05:21 PM »
MVC needed to get back into the Chicago market since so many of the Valley programs recruit Chicago very well (from a non-athletic perspective).  The MVC has done as good as they possibly could, IMO, replacing Creighton, Wichita State and Loyola (Chicago) with Belmont, Murray State, UIC, Loyola and Valparaiso.  Still a very strong league. 

• All American
« Reply #807 on: January 22, 2022, 12:28:35 PM »
MVC needed to get back into the Chicago market since so many of the Valley programs recruit Chicago very well (from a non-athletic perspective).  The MVC has done as good as they possibly could, IMO, replacing Creighton, Wichita State and Loyola (Chicago) with Belmont, Murray State, UIC, Loyola and Valparaiso.  Still a very strong league. 

Very strong is an exaggeration. I agree that it’s done as good as it could, but it has gotten consistently weaker with all of these moves.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #808 on: January 22, 2022, 12:41:48 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #809 on: January 22, 2022, 01:05:09 PM »
Totally.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #810 on: January 22, 2022, 01:08:20 PM »

The Chicago River Valley now flows backwards and never merges with Missouri River flowage. It's a disgrace.

• All American
« Reply #811 on: January 22, 2022, 01:11:05 PM »
The Chicago River Valley now flows backwards and never merges with Missouri River flowage. It's a disgrace.

The MVC still only has one team in the Missouri River drainage basin - Missouri State.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #812 on: January 22, 2022, 01:12:28 PM »
Nashville did that back in 1963. Was the first piece of what made the city grow to what it is today. Of course, the city has spilled well beyond the borders of Davidson County now.

Chicago did something similar in 1889, incorporating a bunch of small towns including Hyde Park and Englewood.  The official reason was to provide services to those areas, but some cynical folks maintain that the primary motivation was to pass Philadelphia in population and become the second largest city in the U.S.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #813 on: January 22, 2022, 01:38:24 PM »

The MVC still only has one team in the Missouri River drainage basin - Missouri State.

Fluff

I am not a riverologist like you but I believe the member schools link up to the Mississippi via Ohio and Illinois rivers where they are enjoined with Missouri flows. The exception is Loyola which flows from the nearby North Shore Channel into the Chicago river into Lake Michigan. I guess one could argue those Chicago River chunks flow south in Lake Michigan to Cal City and into the Illinois Sanitary and Ship Canal, eventually flowing into the Mississippi to join their Might Mo brethren near Yadi's Temple.

• All American
« Reply #814 on: January 22, 2022, 01:47:06 PM »
Fluff

I am not a riverologist like you but I believe the member schools link up to the Mississippi via Ohio and Illinois rivers where they are enjoined with Missouri flows. The exception is Loyola which flows from the nearby North Shore Channel into the Chicago river into Lake Michigan. I guess one could argue those Chicago River chunks flow south in Lake Michigan to Cal City and into the Illinois Sanitary and Ship Canal, eventually flowing into the Mississippi to join their Might Mo brethren near Yadi's Temple.

This theory only makes sense if it were called the Mississippi Valley Conference. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #815 on: January 22, 2022, 02:16:17 PM »

Good move for The Valley.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #816 on: January 22, 2022, 02:36:12 PM »

Yeup, that’s why I am so sick of Salukitalk 24/7 in the Chicago market.

Think I heard somewhere the Bears fired a coach and general manager but you would never know it given the huge focus on MWC basketball.

LOL

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #817 on: January 22, 2022, 02:38:29 PM »
I think the Valley gets weaker and weaker

They are trending toward being a one
bid league.

panda

• All American
« Reply #818 on: January 22, 2022, 02:40:58 PM »

bid league.

trending ?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #819 on: January 22, 2022, 02:47:26 PM »

bid league.

They are weaker than their heyday and they’ve been a one-bid league for awhile.

However, I like the additions of Murray State and Belmont quite a bit.  Eventually, they’ll probably add St. Louis and Dayton, too.

• All American
« Reply #820 on: January 22, 2022, 02:52:23 PM »
They are weaker than their heyday and they’ve been a one-bid league for awhile.

However, I like the additions of Murray State and Belmont quite a bit.  Eventually, they’ll probably add St. Louis and Dayton, too.

I doubt it. I think the A10 adding Loyola was about increasing a Midwest presence along with SLU and Dayton.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #821 on: January 22, 2022, 03:04:48 PM »

I doubt it. I think the A10 adding Loyola was about increasing a Midwest presence along with SLU and Dayton.

I’m trying to get SLU and Dayton into a league that matches their status

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #822 on: January 22, 2022, 03:32:01 PM »
I'm more excited about Ozark's 4th season...
Goal is National Championship

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #823 on: January 22, 2022, 04:08:06 PM »

This theory only makes sense if it were called the Mississippi Valley Conference.

Thank you Michael Flatley

• All American
« Reply #824 on: February 02, 2022, 09:16:35 AM »
James Madison making the jump to FBS football and joining the Sun Belt.

Previously both Jacksonville State and Sam Houston State announced similar jumps by joining Conference USA along with FBS independents New Mexico State and Liberty.

feedback