[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Where is Marquette? by muwarrior69
[Today at 09:46:37 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-22 NBA Thread: The Bucks are Reigning Champs  (Read 176157 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2021-22 NBA Thread: The Bucks are Reigning Champs
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2021, 03:27:25 PM »
Monk may be a good pick-up but I think they will fall short.  They're old and I don't think the pieces will come through when it's all said and done.  Defensively, I'm not sold.  I would take the Bucks or Nets and I expect the media to slobber all over LA and Brooklyn while Milwaukee will be right there and probably better than both of them.

The Monk signing was perfect for the Lakers. Little risk, potentially very high reward. He is an extremely talented, athletic player who can take over games when he's hot. The Hornets had it going pretty good last season before all the injuries gutted them, and Monk had some amazing stretches. But he is very inconsistent, too; can be great 2 games and then disappear for 2.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2021, 03:34:39 PM »
Monk is the only Lakers signing I think has any real upside.  I saw a tweeting quoting the combined 3pt percentage of Monk, Ariza, Bazemore, and Ellington, but come on.  If you think Bazemore is the key piece for that team, or Wayne Ellington who wasn't even top 10 in scoring for a bad Pistons team...I don't know what to tell you.

Melo is amusing.  I liked him in Portland but I don't think this is a good fit at all.  They are going to wear down badly IMO, and they don't have the talent to coast in the regular season and get a top 4 seed.

Derozan to the Bulls is REALLY interesting.  Vuc, Lavine, Demar, and Lonzo Ball is quite intriguing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2021, 03:38:19 PM »
Monk is the only Lakers signing I think has any real upside.  I saw a tweeting quoting the combined 3pt percentage of Monk, Ariza, Bazemore, and Ellington, but come on.  If you think Bazemore is the key piece for that team, or Wayne Ellington who wasn't even top 10 in scoring for a bad Pistons team...I don't know what to tell you.

Melo is amusing.  I liked him in Portland but I don't think this is a good fit at all.  They are going to wear down badly IMO, and they don't have the talent to coast in the regular season and get a top 4 seed.

Derozan to the Bulls is REALLY interesting.  Vuc, Lavine, Demar, and Lonzo Ball is quite intriguing.

Bulls have totally remade the team. If the pieces all fit once the ball starts bouncing, it will have been a pretty amazing transformation.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2021, 04:05:03 PM »
Bulls have totally remade the team. If the pieces all fit once the ball starts bouncing, it will have been a pretty amazing transformation.

They certainly improved their roster and got a lot more interesting.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2021, 04:13:09 PM »
Good news is that the Lakers are poised to win the 2012 NBA championship

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2021, 04:15:02 PM »
Good news is that the Lakers are poised to win the 2012 NBA championship

Lol.  Well played.  It's very easy for people to dislike the Lakers and Brooklyn.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2021, 05:19:46 PM »
Lol.  Well played.  It's very easy for people to dislike the Lakers and Brooklyn.

Or the Dodgers and Yankees.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2021, 05:24:15 PM »
Where?

New Jersey is a suburb of St. Louis.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2021, 05:43:23 PM »
Smart move by him. I'm surprised its two years, though, and not a one year plus player option.  There is a pretty good chance Kyrie misses substantial time for some combo of injury and other Kyrie reasons, and at that point Mills is the primary pg on a team with Durant and Harden.

Out - Fell off end of the earth

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2021, 06:36:05 PM »
No idea if the Bulls will be any good, but it’s nice that they are at least interesting now.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2021, 06:49:04 PM »
George Hill coming back to Milwaukee
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2021, 07:09:17 PM »
No idea if the Bulls will be any good, but it’s nice that they are at least interesting now.

More moves to be made to round out the team but there's a lot of talent now. Could be a disaster or could be a top 4 or 5 seed in the East. Did not realize Derozan averaged almost 7 assists last season. He can get to the line, which was a clear team weakness.

Surprised they were able to acquire Ball and Derozan without including Markkanen in either of the deals so curious to see what happens there. Need to fill out the roster hopefully with another wing and some bigs.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2021, 07:19:38 PM »
I’d also add that there were some rumors Lasry was bragging about the trade on the governor’s call. Others said it wasn’t out of the norm. It’s possible the owners took it well beyond the wink wink type of tampering to being so brazen the NBA had to do something.

Kinda like his son bragging 'bout skipping the line to get his vaccine. D.C. is just waiting for another idiot to call it home, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2021, 07:23:20 PM »
More moves to be made to round out the team but there's a lot of talent now. Could be a disaster or could be a top 4 or 5 seed in the East. Did not realize Derozan averaged almost 7 assists last season. He can get to the line, which was a clear team weakness.

Surprised they were able to acquire Ball and Derozan without including Markkanen in either of the deals so curious to see what happens there. Need to fill out the roster hopefully with another wing and some bigs.

Derozan is also a good dude, and a solid vet presence for a team that needs one.  Him and Vuc should help a lot there.

As for Markkanen, I wouldn't be shocked if he was further trade bait.  I just don't see him in the long term plans.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2021, 07:46:31 PM »

Hmmm.  Minimum or MLE? 

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2021, 08:42:38 PM »
Can’t be MLE because oladipo and bucks are progressing.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2021, 08:53:43 PM »

Hmmm....ty.  Wow....that could be a phenomenal get for the Bucks.  I don't know how they could do/have done better when you consider Portis' deal.  If they get VO and are relatively healthy I like their chances.  No holes on that potential roster and all three min guys they picked up can handle a bit and hit the triple.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2021, 09:00:02 PM »

Eh. Ok I guess.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2021, 09:17:07 PM »

I’m a little surprised. I thought he kind of tanked the bubble team a bit by not wanting to be there.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2021, 10:06:25 PM »
I’m a little surprised. I thought he kind of tanked the bubble team a bit by not wanting to be there.

I think its pretty fleshed out that Giannis, among others, did not want to be there. Hill was an asset to that team all season. Whether he has anything left in the tank is TBD. But he was the league leader from 3 that season, so that can't hurt

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2021, 10:23:39 PM »

Eh. Ok I guess.

Good pickup if he fills the 10 MPG role that Teague was playing. Don't want to ask much more of him than that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2021, 11:01:16 AM »
FWIW, The Athletic's John Hollinger hates the Bulls' deal for DeRozan. Snippet from his opinion piece:

The agreement on Tuesday will pay DeRozan the fairly staggering sum of $85 million over three years, and cost the Bulls a first-round pick and two second-round picks, and surrendering big man Thaddeus Young.

DeRozan can certainly score, and he passes well enough to operate as a de facto point guard at times, but he turns 32 this week, doesn’t shoot 3s and is a subpar defender.

BORD$ valued him at $16.2 million for this year, with that figure obviously declining in the out years as he gets further into his 30s. Even a rosy outlook would have his value over a three-year deal topping out at about $40 million. There’s a chance this could be one of the worst value contracts in the league by 2023-24.

The other side of this is his value specific to the Bulls, which admittedly is a bit higher. DeRozan is better as a floor-raiser than a ceiling-lifter; he isn’t massively efficient and it’s tough to play him off the ball, but his buckets can keep a bad offense afloat. Chicago, surely, is a team closer to the floor than the ceiling, ranking 19th in Offensive Efficiency last year. Oddly, the turnover on Chicago’s roster may leave defense as its bigger concern, with DeRozan, Nikola Vučević and Zach LaVine now the three pillars of the franchise.

Overall, it appears Chicago paid DeRozan roughly twice his projected value over the next three years.

Who were they bidding against? Of all the angles in this trade, the one that is by far the most bewildering is that the Bulls felt they had to step up to the amazing sum of $28 million a year for DeRozan. Finding anybody who had anywhere near the wherewithal, let alone the desire, to get to this price is quite a challenge.

Consider this: If they had paid half as much — $14 million a year — who was outbidding them? The Clippers and Lakers only had the taxpayer midlevel exception. The Knicks quickly burned through their cap space to lock in the six seed for the next three years. The only teams with the space to make a move here were Oklahoma City, which isn’t rebuilding around a 32-year-old, and DeRozan’s own team in San Antonio, which didn’t seem to be in that big a rush to bring him back.

Of course, this entire line of discourse assumes they had to have DeRozan. They didn’t, of course; there were plenty of alternatives in the marketplace, some of whom might have come considerably cheaper or with fewer fit issues.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2021, 11:08:02 AM »
DeRozan is supposed to be a good teammate and off the court guy too.  But you don't double one's pay over that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2021, 11:53:37 AM »
DeRozan is supposed to be a good teammate and off the court guy too.  But you don't double one's pay over that.

Yeah, and I was just relaying what Hollinger, a former NBA exec, said. I don't know enough about DeRozan or the Bulls' roster, to make a judgment.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2021, 12:53:36 PM »

Or not. Oladipo staying with the Heat.