[Today at 11:06:58 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by cheebs09
[Today at 10:52:12 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 10:42:19 AM]

NIL Future by Hards Alumni
[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Block Party  (Read 5681 times)

MU Block Party
« on: July 28, 2021, 12:00:55 PM »
Surprised no-one else has mentioned much of the block party from last night.  Here's a quick personal recap...
- MUBB gets along very well and participated in activities throughout the event with the other MU sports teams
- Darryl Morsell indicated he's been on campus for two weeks, but very appreciative of being here
- Greg Elliott did not take it easy on 5-9 year-olds in a game of soccer.  He did not allow any gimme's or trophies.  Brick wall mentality at goalie and loved that competitive spirit!  (my son did nutmeg one of the players and the crowd went crazy)
- Shaka very charismatic during the team introductions.  Wants as many people in the seats as possible.  Stated he loves basketball more than any of the guys up there.  Showed a lot of passion.
- Can tell the youth of the team by how shy they were with the microphone...but a lot of humor ensued.

This will be a fun team to watch and many mentions of how competitive they will be this season.  This was my first time attending so it was hard to tell how the attendance compared to previous events.  If anyone else has some fun takeaways from the event, it would be good to hear.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: MU Block Party
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 01:11:47 PM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 01:16:22 PM »
Good recap.
My middle-school aged son spent some time chatting and taking pics with several players. They were all very gracious with their time and friendly, Greg and Stevie in particular. If nothing else, another good group of kids that will be easy to root for and represent the university well.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 03:28:50 PM by Pakuni »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 01:47:43 PM »
Joplin was funny on the mic from the video.
Maigh Eo for Sam

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 03:18:43 PM »
"This will be a fun team to watch and many mentions of how competitive they will be this season. "

They obviously have not spoken with MU82...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 03:22:29 PM »
"This will be a fun team to watch and many mentions of how competitive they will be this season. "

They obviously have not spoken with MU82...

Or seen the team in action.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 04:00:30 PM »
Nice!!  I like O-Max.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 04:12:06 PM »
I really enjoyed getting a glimpse of our team.

Believing in yourself and your teammates, that you are going to be competitive, is an underrated factor. It just might be the difference in close games. Who can forget the 1-6 meltdowns that became Wojo's legacy in his last three seasons?  Our guys looked lost and there was no team synergy during those slumps. As a past resident of Richmond I saw first hand Shaka get not just a team and students but also an entire city pumped up Big Time. He took Richmond by storm. The excitement of VCU's success fed on itself.   
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 04:54:16 PM »
feels so odd having zero famailarirty with 90% of the team. glad shaka had them all introduce themselves.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 05:18:25 PM »
feels so odd having zero famailarirty with 90% of the team. glad shaka had them all introduce themselves.

Right? I mean we have Greg, Osa and Lewis. Then we expected Stevie and Cam so there's that. Everybody else is I still couldnt even name before this video.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2021, 06:22:35 PM »
One observation relevant to basketball ... either Kur Kuath isn't a legit 6'10" or Oso has grown, because they're the same height.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2021, 07:16:28 PM »
One observation relevant to basketball ... either Kur Kuath isn't a legit 6'10" or Oso has grown, because they're the same height.

They’re probably both 6’7”
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2021, 08:32:12 AM »

Same here!    I replayed the introduction part several times just to try to recognize who's who.

THEbig0

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2021, 09:28:31 AM »
One thing I noted when saying hello to Shaka was that he didn't seem to be a big "glad hander".  He was very nice and polite but certainly not the politician type who seems to love - or be great at - small chit chat.  He didn't seem to comfortable with it.  Doesn't bother me as I think he is going to be a dynamic coach and loved his interaction with the big crowd and players, but wonder if this hurts with fundraising at all?  Do coaches do much of that - obviously recruiting is a bigger goal!

MU_4_Life

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2021, 10:12:52 AM »
One thing I noted when saying hello to Shaka was that he didn't seem to be a big "glad hander".  He was very nice and polite but certainly not the politician type who seems to love - or be great at - small chit chat.  He didn't seem to comfortable with it.  Doesn't bother me as I think he is going to be a dynamic coach and loved his interaction with the big crowd and players, but wonder if this hurts with fundraising at all?  Do coaches do much of that - obviously recruiting is a bigger goal!

I felt just the opposite about Shaka, I knew he had to go to a recruiting event so I wanted to grab a quick pic with him and my son (incoming freshman).  He talked to me and my son for 2 or 3 mins and was very accommodating. I noticed he was doing that with everyone who wanted to meet him. 

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2021, 12:56:48 PM »
I felt just the opposite about Shaka, I knew he had to go to a recruiting event so I wanted to grab a quick pic with him and my son (incoming freshman).  He talked to me and my son for 2 or 3 mins and was very accommodating. I noticed he was doing that with everyone who wanted to meet him.

Maybe THEbig0's face was covered with festering boils that made it uncomfortable for Shaka to speak with him for long. THEbig0, is your face covered with festering boils that make it uncomfortable for people to talk to you for long?

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2021, 01:47:37 PM »
hard to imagine itd be any less riveting with wojo

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2021, 09:30:12 PM »
hard to imagine itd be any less riveting with wojo

At the first bbq in June after WoJo was hired, I was nearby when he was talking to a few friends it looked like,   I waited for a moment then said “welcome to Marquette Coach!  Season ticket holder from Chicsgo.  “. He looked at me, said hi and turned immediately back to his group.   I stood there feeling totally out of placed and dismissed.  Wow I thought as I walked away.  Wow.   Can’t imagine Shaka worse than that.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2021, 10:33:28 PM »
Cameron Brown a new walk on I take it?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2021, 11:55:33 PM »
Cameron Brown a new walk on I take it?

Yes. He had his own thread on here awhile ago IIRC
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2021, 12:05:26 PM »
Yes. He had his own thread on here awhile ago IIRC

Thanks! Did Tommy Gardiner graduate or just leave the program? He was listed as a junior on last years roster. Just curious.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2021, 04:49:16 PM »
Thanks! Did Tommy Gardiner graduate or just leave the program? He was listed as a junior on last years roster. Just curious.
It said on the 2020-21 roster that he will miss the rest of the season after injuring his knee before Christmas break. My guess is if it is the same knee he injured before, he medically retired.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2021, 09:05:12 PM »
I really enjoyed getting a glimpse of our team.

Believing in yourself and your teammates, that you are going to be competitive, is an underrated factor. It just might be the difference in close games. Who can forget the 1-6 meltdowns that became Wojo's legacy in his last three seasons?  Our guys looked lost and there was no team synergy during those slumps. As a past resident of Richmond I saw first hand Shaka get not just a team and students but also an entire city pumped up Big Time. He took Richmond by storm. The excitement of VCU's success fed on itself.   

Does that seem to be happening at MU?

IMO, there's no real enthusiasm yet, just a real "wait and see" attitude.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2021, 10:34:18 PM »

I've seen the of enthusiasm. Maybe it's misplaced,  but it's there
TAMU

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2021, 10:46:39 PM »

I clearly stated that Shaka has brought enthusiasm at VCU with the obvious implication that he could do the same at Marquette. There was no mention whatsoever about whether or not that has begun to happen at Marquette during the off season. It usually helps to actually be playing games for this to happen. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.