2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 15, 2024, 10:20:46 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

[Paint Touches] Shaka reaffirms MU commitment by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 15, 2024, 07:07:35 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Supreme Court rules that NCAA cannot bar athletes from being paid  (Read 8274 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: Supreme Court rules that NCAA cannot bar athletes from being paid
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2021, 10:08:11 PM »
Posting a pic of a white flag would have just been easier.
Great, two people with reading comprehension issues.

If anyone has problems with what I originally posted I'd welcome intelligent comments.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2021, 11:17:53 PM »

If anyone has problems with what I originally posted I'd welcome intelligent comments.

I asked what your definition of "around the corner" is for basketball/football being separated from universities. I'm honestly curious how quickly you think this will happen.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2021, 03:23:40 AM »
I asked what your definition of "around the corner" is for basketball/football being separated from universities. I'm honestly curious how quickly you think this will happen.

It won’t. This idea ignores why colleges and universities sponsor Athletics to begin with.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 03:27:48 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2021, 05:51:42 AM »

No, it's still just one, but not the one you think it is.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2021, 08:09:50 AM »
I think it is pretty obvious that when you read this opinion, that the Court's attitude about the NCAA has changed quite a bit since the 1984 Board of Regents' ruling, mostly because of the massive amounts of money that has entered the system.  I am pretty sure that this ruling would be different had we still be talking about 1984 money instead of 2021 money.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2021, 09:27:21 AM »
I think it is pretty obvious that when you read this opinion, that the Court's attitude about the NCAA has changed quite a bit since the 1984 Board of Regents' ruling, mostly because of the massive amounts of money that has entered the system.  I am pretty sure that this ruling would be different had we still be talking about 1984 money instead of 2021 money.

Yep, because central to the ruling is that the NCAA model prevents athletes from obtaining their true market value.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2021, 09:41:07 AM »
So what is the practical effect of this decision. The players can negotiate a percentage of sales from the spirit shop with their numbers/names on MU gear? Coaches can give a recruit a t-shirt or ride to the airport? A player can go to a baseball game with a fellow classmate who has an extra ticket? Just wondering?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2021, 09:50:15 AM »
So what is the practical effect of this decision. The players can negotiate a percentage of sales from the spirit shop with their numbers/names on MU gear? Coaches can give a recruit a t-shirt or ride to the airport? A player can go to a baseball game with a fellow classmate who has an extra ticket? Just wondering?

I think this one forced Pilarz to put down the poetry book, call Larry onto the carpet and make him finally do his job.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2021, 12:38:53 PM »
The importance is in the opinion, it basically tells ncaa they better figure out how to properly compensate athletes or on the next one, coming soon, if that isn't done they'll use Thor's hammer on ncaa
Goal is National Championship

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2021, 02:35:19 PM »
From the parts of the decision that I've read, I think the argument boils down to profitability.  Most major schools (and the NCAA in general) make a pretty hefty profit off of their football and basketball athletes.  To the courts, those athletes should be seen as employees, and even factoring in things like scholarships, room & board, etc., they're being paid well below market rate.  You could say that basketball players have a choice if they don't like it (particularly now with the G-League, etc.), but football doesn't really provide that option. 

At the high school level, if a school district is making a significant profit off of sports teams (and, thus, the athletes on those teams), I think the same argument would apply.  That certainly happens in some rare instances, but more often than not, high school sports aren't going to be profitable for the district.  The same could be said for just about every other college sport outside of football and basketball.

For HS sports, I think the main application will be allowing private schools to provide scholarships without proving need by the student receiving it.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2021, 02:41:13 PM »
Does this take effect immediately? 

For instance, could we make an offer to Garcia today to entice him to come back?

Yes, we can all sign a pledge to never mention him again in a Scoop thread.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 02:44:18 PM by 4everDawson »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2021, 10:52:06 AM »
New company formed to help athletes navigate NIL. I'm sure this will not be the only one.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/ncaa-student-athletes-name-image-likeness-industry