[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Do we want/get West Virginia back in BEast if Texas and OU go SEC?  (Read 16050 times)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: Do we want/get West Virginia back in BEast if Texas and OU go SEC?
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2021, 02:36:21 PM »
For what it’s worth, heard on espn radio today that UConn and the ACC have an interest in a discussion.

After they’ve been snubbed by that conference for the last decade, and after the Big East embraced them when their athletic programs needed to get out of the AAC, wow, that would be some kind of jackass move to pull off.

And I think it’s definitely arguable whether the ACC would be better for them.  See Pitt and Syracuse since jumping ship. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2021, 02:41:42 PM »
After they’ve been snubbed by that conference for the last decade, and after the Big East embraced them when their athletic programs needed to get out of the AAC, wow, that would be some kind of jackass move to pull off.

And I think it’s definitely arguable whether the ACC would be better for them.  See Pitt and Syracuse since jumping ship.

I agree with every word you say here, Hutch.

I'll close by saying that if UConn leaves, eff 'em.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2021, 02:49:32 PM »
I agree with every word you say here, Hutch.

I'll close by saying that if UConn leaves, eff 'em.

Especially with a wandering eye after ONE season back.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2021, 02:50:35 PM »
Especially with a wandering eye after ONE season back.

It would cost them so much money as well. I think 30 million if they leave before five years.

Their athletic department is already in the hole.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2021, 03:04:34 PM »
It would cost them so much money as well. I think 30 million if they leave before five years.

Yeah, figured there’s a huge penalty if they leave early. 

Unreal.  We’ll see if anything comes of it.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2021, 04:52:40 PM »

and, I thought UConn was canning football or dropping down.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2021, 05:48:25 PM »
Is anybody really surprised by this? I had mixed feelings about them joining for a number of reasons. Maybe its just all loose talk but if it happened, what's not to like about $30 mil?

A greater concern would be if they are brought in for basketball only and not share in the FB revenues. I seriously doubt this would happen but if it did, it would set a very dangerous precedent.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2021, 06:29:07 PM »

I would assume if the ACC wanted to, they could pay that penalty. But I’m not sure UCONN brings an extra $30M in revenue compared to other options.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2021, 07:43:53 PM »
Is anybody really surprised by this? I had mixed feelings about them joining for a number of reasons. Maybe its just all loose talk but if it happened, what's not to like about $30 mil?

See, I had no mixed feelings. I think they add tremendously to the Big East in basketball, but if they leave the Big East won't be any worse off than before they came back. It really was a no-lose situation for the Big East.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2021, 09:11:07 PM »

See the New Haven Register article I posted in the Superbar thread why it's most unlikely they leave the Big East. 
(They still owe the AAC and they would owe the Big East $30mil and they won't see much revenue for several years, etc.)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2021, 10:57:25 PM »
For what it’s worth, heard on espn radio today that UConn and the ACC have an interest in a discussion.

How much of this discussion could be just the ACC (or a rep) reaching out to gauge interest and that’s it?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Viper

• All American
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2021, 08:47:50 AM »
See, I had no mixed feelings. I think they add tremendously to the Big East in basketball, but if they leave the Big East won't be any worse off than before they came back. It really was a no-lose situation for the Big East.
…the perception, stigma, wouldn’t be good. As an original BE program, I feel UConn coming back adds to the conference. Should UConn leave is a loss beyond the court, IMO.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2021, 09:38:21 AM »
…the perception, stigma, wouldn’t be good. As an original BE program, I feel UConn coming back adds to the conference. Should UConn leave is a loss beyond the court, IMO.

I agree it's silly to say it wouldn't be a loss...they were a positive add/improvement when they entered the conference so by definition if they leave its a loss on the court and off.

That being said, my opinion is that it is just speculation for the sake of it versus real smoke.  The big pieces need to get set before the scrap eating schools start plotting moves.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2021, 01:28:47 PM »
I agree it's silly to say it wouldn't be a loss...they were a positive add/improvement when they entered the conference so by definition if they leave its a loss on the court and off.

That being said, my opinion is that it is just speculation for the sake of it versus real smoke.  The big pieces need to get set before the scrap eating schools start plotting moves.

OK ... I'll amend ... I don't think there would be any significant long-term "stigma" against the Big East. UConn would get more grief in the "perception battle" than the Big East would IMHO.

The Big East has been through a heck of a lot worse in the last decade than one flighty school leaving.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2021, 02:37:13 PM »
I doubt the ACC would add UCONN. Their football program is a joke. It backfired on the ACC last realignment when they sneakily tried to prioritize improving their basketball conference over football. They should have instead tried to poach better football programs from other conferences. Losing Florida State and Clemson will make that conference a complete mess. Sort of AAC quality actually.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2021, 03:25:57 PM »
For a school that had a 40+ million athletic budget deficit, the idea that this same school would pony up another $30 million in exit fees (per the Big East agreement with UConn during the first six years in the league) is genuinely laughable.

UConn is not going anywhere. If anything, with this new FBS landscape unfolding before our eyes, there is a stronger likelihood of UConn moving to FBS-1B than it is to move to a P4 conference.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2021, 04:38:59 PM »
For a school that had a 40+ million athletic budget deficit, the idea that this same school would pony up another $30 million in exit fees (per the Big East agreement with UConn during the first six years in the league) is genuinely laughable.

UConn is not going anywhere. If anything, with this new FBS landscape unfolding before our eyes, there is a stronger likelihood of UConn moving to FBS-1B than it is to move to a P4 conference.

$30 million is nothing compared to the jump in rights fees they’d get. That would be paid off in two years.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 08:09:57 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2021, 08:05:09 PM »
Why settle for West Virgina? Maybe Kansas gives up on football  ;D

Looking at their record over the last decade or two, one can argue they already have.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 08:17:31 PM by f/k/a humanlung »

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2021, 09:14:11 AM »
I would guess Kansas has the BigTen, Pac 12 and ACC all on their speed dial before the BigEast.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2021, 09:20:27 AM »
Looking at their record over the last decade or two, one can argue they already have.

Hey that's my joke!   Great minds and all...

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2021, 10:39:43 AM »
$30 million is nothing compared to the jump in rights fees they’d get. That would be paid off in two years.
Is adding UConn financially advantageous for the other ACC members?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2021, 10:46:29 AM »
Is adding UConn financially advantageous for the other ACC members?

Probably not, which is why it is quite doubtful they would make the offer, but UConn would take it in a heartbeat.  Seriously people think UConn would stick with the BE with their $2 million payout, plus whatever they can scramble for their football rights fees, versus an eight figure payout from the ACC?

Let's just say that the ACC payout is $20 million a year.  A $30 million exit fee isn't stopping that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2021, 10:59:39 AM »
It appears as though the ACC is looking to expand to counter the SEC (and perhaps avoid a B12-esque catastrophe if Clemson and FSU were to leave).  I have no doubt WVU would be a main target, and I could see one or both of UConn and Cincy being targets, as well.  I would be genuinely surprised if UConn is still in the Big East when this all shakes out.

So, if that's the case, does the Big East just go back to being a 10-team conference?  Or do we replace UConn?  Put me in the camp that would like to see Dayton in our league (**ducks**).

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2021, 11:01:35 AM »
Probably not, which is why it is quite doubtful they would make the offer, but UConn would take it in a heartbeat.  Seriously people think UConn would stick with the BE with their $2 million payout, plus whatever they can scramble for their football rights fees, versus an eight figure payout from the ACC?

Let's just say that the ACC payout is $20 million a year.  A $30 million exit fee isn't stopping that.

I was thinking about this also. How much would it take for a power football conference to pluck a team from the Big East? If the ACC offers a pro-rated share to Villanova at $8 million a year, that doubles what Villanova gets now from the Big East, and is a drop in the bucket for the ACC. No way Villanova turns that down.

This is why I think the Big East isn't as secure as people think. Yes, football drives the bus and basketball is an afterthought. But the Big East has no leverage. If the power football conferences want to start their own basketball tournament, they could easily pluck the best BBall only schools (Nova, Zags, etc...) and those BBall only conferences become an afterthought.