[Today at 10:54:04 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Do we want/get West Virginia back in BEast if Texas and OU go SEC?  (Read 16049 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Do we want/get West Virginia back in BEast if Texas and OU go SEC?
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2021, 01:48:09 PM »
But would the power 4 take the entire BEast just to get Nova?  Would they take the entire WCC just to get Zags?  I think they would love Nova and Gonzaga for a basketball tourney considering where those two programs are right now, I just don't see them lining up to cut a check that DePaul will get a portion of.  Then consider that even the most prestigious basketball only schools bring in exactly zero football dollars, which is what's driving all of this anyways, and I think there's a very real chance that anyone not in the B10, Pac12, SEC or ACC gets left behind.  It's been a long time coming, but the path is becoming more and more clear.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2021, 01:59:09 PM »
Some thoughts on the Big 12

Pac 10 candidates
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
Baylor
TCU

BIG Candidates
Iowa State
Kansas

ACC Candidate
West Virginia

Out in the Cold?
Kansas State

With this in mind, the Pac 10 gets some additional depth from the Texas Schools. While I'll admit travel from Texas to Pullman and Corvallis gets to be a pain in the royal rear, but this also gives some geographical balance for Colorado and Utah. I could see K-State going west rather than being out in the cold to bring additional balance.

The BIG would take Kansas and would be a dynamite basketball conference. Period. It adds Kansas City and gives the conference additional panache in basketball. Iowa State is a natural rival for Iowa, Nebraska and Minnesota in both football and basketball. I'm sure Iowa would fight this but it's a good rivalry game.

West Virginia probably should be in the ACC anyway. If the ACC won't take 'em, they'll be with Cincinnati et all in the AAC.

I still think K-State is the wildcat out and all I can think is they end up in the Mountain West.

As to the NCAA withdrawal, I would imagine if the Big 4 bolt (SEC, ACC, BIG and Pac10), the BEast would be invited to join everything except football. While the NCAA promotes parity and mid-majors in their tournament, a Big 4+BEast would ensure NO game in the NCAA basketball tournament would be weak one and we'd all do really well. No more leaving Syracuse out but taking Coastal Carolina or UMBC.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2021, 02:09:37 PM »
But would the power 4 take the entire BEast just to get Nova?  Would they take the entire WCC just to get Zags?  I think they would love Nova and Gonzaga for a basketball tourney considering where those two programs are right now, I just don't see them lining up to cut a check that DePaul will get a portion of.  Then consider that even the most prestigious basketball only schools bring in exactly zero football dollars, which is what's driving all of this anyways, and I think there's a very real chance that anyone not in the B10, Pac12, SEC or ACC gets left behind.  It's been a long time coming, but the path is becoming more and more clear.

I think they would. At the end of the day  if every blue blood was in the same conference then half those schools are going to lose that status. At least with us they bring in games taking place in major markets, multiple NBA arenas, and a lot of pedigree. Now I'm sure they'd fight us on any portion of football money and that negotiation would be rough but oh well.

Honestly at this point I'd just say screw it make a Catholic/private league, ND and BC can join if they want to.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2021, 02:40:14 PM »
Since 2013, the Big East continues to enjoy the most stable form of alignment in conference history.  I do not enjoy seeing so many schools in the Big 12 this week, and their fans, filled with turmoil and uncertainty, preparing for a future of the unknown.  We saw UConn, Cincinnati and USF essentially dropped from the BCS/AQ/P5 grouping in 2011, and - this go-around - we will likely see many more suffer similar fates.  As previously mentioned, we should all be immensely grateful that our athletic department, and conference, is no longer bound by the greed and exploits of college football.  Our basketball programs play and compete at the highest levels, and that will not change.  For many reasons, evidenced by our relationships with the P5, we will undoubtedly be brought along with to whatever future college athletics has in this era of NIL and D1 consolidation. 

For the Big East, we can simply sit and watch.  West Virginia is not UConn.  Not only are they not a basketball-first athletic department, but they were not even a founding member of the Big East, nor are they one of the original Big East programs that made basketball special.  There is no desire from the conference to add them. 

As of today, my prediction would be that no other P conference adds any of the remnants of the Big 12; the value isn't there.  The Big 12 will pick off the top of the MWC/AAC and move back to 10 or 12 members.  The AAC will be replaced by the Big 12 as the new tweener conference, and any continued efforts to proclaim the AAC as a power basketball conference will quickly (and quietly) be eliminated. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2021, 03:15:09 PM »
Some thoughts on the Big 12

Pac 10 candidates
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
Baylor
TCU

BIG Candidates
Iowa State
Kansas

ACC Candidate
West Virginia

Out in the Cold?
Kansas State

With this in mind, the Pac 10 gets some additional depth from the Texas Schools. While I'll admit travel from Texas to Pullman and Corvallis gets to be a pain in the royal rear, but this also gives some geographical balance for Colorado and Utah. I could see K-State going west rather than being out in the cold to bring additional balance.

The BIG would take Kansas and would be a dynamite basketball conference. Period. It adds Kansas City and gives the conference additional panache in basketball. Iowa State is a natural rival for Iowa, Nebraska and Minnesota in both football and basketball. I'm sure Iowa would fight this but it's a good rivalry game.

West Virginia probably should be in the ACC anyway. If the ACC won't take 'em, they'll be with Cincinnati et all in the AAC.

I still think K-State is the wildcat out and all I can think is they end up in the Mountain West.

As to the NCAA withdrawal, I would imagine if the Big 4 bolt (SEC, ACC, BIG and Pac10), the BEast would be invited to join everything except football. While the NCAA promotes parity and mid-majors in their tournament, a Big 4+BEast would ensure NO game in the NCAA basketball tournament would be weak one and we'd all do really well. No more leaving Syracuse out but taking Coastal Carolina or UMBC.

The Big Ten isn’t taking Iowa State. Cmon…
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2021, 03:20:43 PM »

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/nbcsports/report-kansas-iowa-state-set-up-call-with-big-ten/2563042/

Think the B10 could do better than ISU, and not sure how Iowa would feel, but it is one of the better fits geographically.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2021, 03:22:04 PM »

I think Kansas is a take and they’ll also pursue Georgia Tech, UNC and Virginia with Georgia Tech being the most likely out of that group.  KU hoops is valuable enough to offset the bad football and geography.  The other addition will be about market
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2021, 03:30:00 PM »
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/nbcsports/report-kansas-iowa-state-set-up-call-with-big-ten/2563042/

Think the B10 could do better than ISU, and not sure how Iowa would feel, but it is one of the better fits geographically.

Duplicating the state of Iowa makes little sense. I would be shocked.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2021, 03:44:12 PM »
Since 2013, the Big East continues to enjoy the most stable form of alignment in conference history.  I do not enjoy seeing so many schools in the Big 12 this week, and their fans, filled with turmoil and uncertainty, preparing for a future of the unknown.  We saw UConn, Cincinnati and USF essentially dropped from the BCS/AQ/P5 grouping in 2011, and - this go-around - we will likely see many more suffer similar fates.  As previously mentioned, we should all be immensely grateful that our athletic department, and conference, is no longer bound by the greed and exploits of college football.  Our basketball programs play and compete at the highest levels, and that will not change.  For many reasons, evidenced by our relationships with the P5, we will undoubtedly be brought along with to whatever future college athletics has in this era of NIL and D1 consolidation. 

For the Big East, we can simply sit and watch.  West Virginia is not UConn.  Not only are they not a basketball-first athletic department, but they were not even a founding member of the Big East, nor are they one of the original Big East programs that made basketball special.  There is no desire from the conference to add them. 

As of today, my prediction would be that no other P conference adds any of the remnants of the Big 12; the value isn't there.  The Big 12 will pick off the top of the MWC/AAC and move back to 10 or 12 members.  The AAC will be replaced by the Big 12 as the new tweener conference, and any continued efforts to proclaim the AAC as a power basketball conference will quickly (and quietly) be eliminated.

Best Marquette/Big East oriented comment of all.

Makes too much sense.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2021, 05:27:38 PM »
I think Kansas is a take and they’ll also pursue Georgia Tech, UNC and Virginia with Georgia Tech being the most likely out of that group.  KU hoops is valuable enough to offset the bad football and geography.  The other addition will be about market

West Virginnie

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2021, 05:34:49 PM »
West Virginnie

Not an AAU member.  I’m not sure that’ll matter this time but it could be a deterrent
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Hards Alumni

• All American

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2021, 05:47:36 PM »
They were when they joined.

The point is that it probably doesn't matter.  They've only been a B1G member since 2011, and then within five years, lost their AAU status.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2021, 06:39:48 PM »
The point is that it probably doesn't matter.  They've only been a B1G member since 2011, and then within five years, lost their AAU status.

Yeah, I’m not sure it’ll matter.  That said, I don’t think West Virginia will be a target

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2021, 06:51:47 PM »

Let's sit back and watch schools be shocked, shocked that ESPN has a hand in this.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2021, 07:43:08 PM »
Let's sit back and watch schools be shocked, shocked that ESPN has a hand in this.

ESPN will be nothing but SEC football in the fall. Maybe a PAC 12 or MWC game kicking off at 11pm EST.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2021, 08:23:29 PM »
Guy who had OU and Texas to SEC now saying Ohio State, Michigan, Florida State, and Clemson have had talks with SEC.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2021, 08:25:58 PM »
Guy who had OU and Texas to SEC now saying Ohio State, Michigan, Florida State, and Clemson have had talks with SEC.

I think this is logical. With NIL and unlimited transfer, a super conference is the way to go.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2021, 08:40:14 PM »
I like it from the aspect of it running a potential four 16 team conference tournament.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2021, 08:52:58 PM »

If Michigan and Ohio State left the Big 14 for the SEC, they couldn’t surgically remove the smile from my face for decades

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2021, 05:43:33 AM »
At this point why don't all the power conferences just merge into one super conference. This way they can schedule all the games as they see fit while also keeping all the local rivalry games. Also they can also keep all their non revenue sports to compete within their local region and keep travel manageable.

They would call the shots just like the NFL, negotiating with all the TV outlets, and not having ESPN drive all this turmoil.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 05:56:45 AM by muwarrior69 »

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2021, 12:31:37 PM »
If Michigan and Ohio State left the Big 14 for the SEC, they couldn’t surgically remove the smile from my face for decades

Got to say broader consequences aside, the Big 10 losing their two most important members would be downright hilarious

Viper

• All American
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2021, 02:30:04 PM »
For what it’s worth, heard on espn radio today that UConn and the ACC have an interest in a discussion.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.