[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A personal request for the MU staff  (Read 6622 times)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
Re: A personal request for the MU staff
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2021, 11:35:38 AM »
I felt he was extremely sluggish in the championship game.  I forgot what those Polish pastries are called but he may have thrown down 2 or 20 before taking the floor.  A few pierogies are just fine Scoop Snoop, I'm just guessing he got carried away.  :)

Maybe pierogies, maybe prescription meds- pain killers. He had some serious, excruciating back problems that I believe required surgery.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2021, 11:44:37 AM »
I would like a tier 1  Euro/Intenational scout with the ability to seal the deal.  I look at Gonzaga's success and ask myself why not us?  I would like a Bogdanovic type guy on our roster. Just sayin...

Sir, this is an Arby's.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2021, 11:51:19 AM »
I know international recruiting sounds great but there are numerous reasons why almost no one does it
1) Very limited pool of players. Many of the top players are professionals playing for club teams. Most are sign as 14 to 16 year olds.
2) To recruit internationally an assistant needs to go over to Europe/Australia. That's not an overnight trip. Most have to spend at least a week to 10 days to make it worthwhile. Add in at least two days (maybe 4) to travel back and forth that's two weeks away from the program and not working with current players. The NCAA also limits the number of coaches that can be on the road recruiting at any given time and there is a limited window. Do you want to use up that resource with 4 days flying? In addition. You need to have a coach that is willing to be gone for weeks at a time
3) Recruiting overseas is not cheap. It's the basic cost benefit analysis. Is it worth the time and money to get a player who may have a comp in N. America?
4) Gonzaga and St Mary's are the best examples of programs that do the best. Lloyd was the point person for the Zags. It will be interesting to see if they continue although looking at their last couple of recruiting classes they probably don't need to any more. St Mary's has well established ties but again are any of the guys they are getting program changers? Comes back to the same question. Is it worth the time and money to get the guys St. Mary's is getting taking resources from the program that can be used elsewhere.

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2021, 11:56:20 AM »
I should also add. It doesn't hurt the draft stock by playing overseas as compared to playing in the NCAA.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2021, 12:14:22 PM »
Davidson traditionally is as international as it gets.  I think one needs contacts globally.  Once a reputation is established for international players, it may gets easier to recruit them.
https://davidsonwildcats.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2021, 12:32:43 PM »
Al needed 4 years to get Marquette to the NCAAT. 3 years to get to the NIT which was more significant back then than it is now. I think 3 years is a reasonable expectation for Shaka to take us dancing.

When Al took over we were coming off of a 5-21 season, freshmen weren’t eligible and players almost never transferred. Quick turnarounds are much easier now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2021, 01:29:08 PM »
When Al took over we were coming off of a 5-21 season, freshmen weren’t eligible and players almost never transferred. Quick turnarounds are much easier now.

Maybe,  but sustainable ones typically still take time. I think year 3 will be the year for Shaka. I will certainly be happy if it's quicker than that
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2021, 01:43:57 PM »
Those type of players don’t come to the US for college.  You’re more likely to get an unpolished big man with a ton of potential.  Great shooting guards with size play pro there and then get drafted or sign with the NBA.   Other than the Aussie guards that went through St Mary’s, I struggle to think of any at the high major level
if they’ll play for a couple seasons in Spokane, why not Milwaukee?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2021, 02:41:29 PM »
I felt he was extremely sluggish in the championship game.  I forgot what those Polish pastries are called but he may have thrown down 2 or 20 before taking the floor.  A few pierogies are just fine Scoop Snoop, I'm just guessing he got carried away.  :)

Paczki?
Nalesznicki?

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2021, 02:58:31 PM »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2021, 04:22:12 PM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2021, 04:26:30 PM »
if they’ll play for a couple seasons in Spokane, why not Milwaukee?

Look at my post.  I never said Milwaukee itself is an issue.  Just that Euro guards with good size and shooting aren’t available to college teams.  All the Zags have been big men like Sabonis and Karnowski.  Players of the Bogdanovic mold, even if not that good, thrive in Euro ball till they are ready for the NBA looks

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2021, 04:53:01 PM »
If by green wienie you mean he got fired than yes he did. Deservingly so. Though I'm honestly curious if you know what green weenie actually means. Because it has a very specific meaning that I don't think applies to basketball situations
A ptomaine hot dog then?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2021, 05:02:32 PM »
Niv Lives!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2021, 09:49:47 AM »
Look at my post.  I never said Milwaukee itself is an issue.  Just that Euro guards with good size and shooting aren’t available to college teams.  All the Zags have been big men like Sabonis and Karnowski.  Players of the Bogdanovic mold, even if not that good, thrive in Euro ball till they are ready for the NBA looks

Why do you think bigs are more willing to do US colleges, Wags? Because bigs, in general, take more time to reach their potential?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2021, 05:29:11 PM »
Willie doesn’t understand the landscape or the game for that matter
I certainly understand the landscape of your head. Why don't you ride your green horse back to rubeland.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2021, 05:51:18 PM »
I certainly understand the landscape of your head. Why don't you ride your green horse back to rubeland.

I’ve never ridden a green horse.
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2021, 04:50:01 PM »
I’ve never ridden a green horse.
Of course you remembered to not deny your home as rubeland. And there always is a first time

feedback