[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA Might Lift All NIL Rules  (Read 24732 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: NCAA Might Lift All NIL Rules
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2021, 04:59:03 PM »
Going to be funny when a Simone Biles type from a non/low revenue sport makes like 5 times the top athlete at Alabama.

Katie Ledecky type has entered the chat
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2021, 05:16:35 PM »
I wish they’d just find a way to do some sort of deferred compensation credit system - you complete a participation year in good standing with the school you earn a credit into a payment fund - credits transfer with you wherever you attend/participate- sign over your NLI upon entry and let the ncaa do what it’s good at - make money - get yours once you’ve exhausted your eligibility or turn pro
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 05:18:14 PM by CAGASS24 »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2021, 05:21:29 PM »
I wish they’d just find a way to do some sort of deferred compensation credit system - you complete a participation year in good standing with the school you earn a credit into a payment fund - credits transfer with you wherever you attend/participate- sign over your NLI upon entry and let the ncaa do what it’s good at - make money - get yours once you’ve exhausted your eligibility or turn pro

Why?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2021, 05:46:36 PM »
Seems to make sense to me - shares the revenue - promotes attendance - let’s the kids be kids at this moment - gives them skin in the game - seems more administratively manageable

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2021, 06:51:33 PM »
They aren't kids.  They are adults who have limitations on their ability to earn income unlike their peers. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2021, 07:00:27 PM »
Let's remember the vast, vast majority of NCAA sports are huge costs to the schools. The schools do, and at great expense,  provide the opportunity and venue for the athletes to perform.

The issue seems to be that the NCAA is tasked with treating Duke basketball and South Dakota State swimming the same.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 07:05:28 PM by WhiteTrash »

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2021, 07:07:46 PM »
They aren't kids.  They are adults who have limitations on their ability to earn income unlike their peers.

Absolutely - I guess I’m just trying to come up with a scenario that would help let college sports continue in full fashion - I’m all for change and letting people keep their fair share - I just don’t know if it’s tenable with the system as is - I guess that’s the point - but if you told me in 10 years there’d be 75 percent less college folks able to play sports during college because the sports scaled back to allow compensation I think that’d be unfortunate to some degree

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2021, 07:12:43 PM »
Let's remember the vast, vast majority of NCAA sports are huge costs to the schools. The schools do, and at great expense,  provide the opportunity and venue for the athletes to perform.

The issue seems to be that the NCAA is tasked with treating Duke basketball and South Dakota State swimming the same.

The universities provide these opportunities to promote the university.  It isn’t simply altruistic.  And providing opportunities shouldn’t keep South Dakota State swimmers from earning off their name, image and likeness because of some archaic belief in the importance of amateurism
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2021, 07:25:10 PM »
I'm shocked that anyone still believes in shamateurism in the NCAA. It's a multi-billion dollar enterprise. Brett Kavanaugh essentially said it was worker exploitation. NIL or player compensation doesn't undermine college basketball, it's the first thing that has moved the sport toward a semblance of honesty in decades.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2021, 07:50:14 PM »
The universities provide these opportunities to promote the university.  It isn’t simply altruistic.  And providing opportunities shouldn’t keep South Dakota State swimmers from earning off their name, image and likeness because of some archaic belief in the importance of amateurism

Swimmers (and all athletes from non revenue producing sports) should definitely be allowed to earn money off of their name, image and likeness. But should they be given scholarships? Why should the revenue producers support sports teams that can’t pay their own way?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2021, 07:52:00 PM »
Swimmers (and all athletes from non revenue producing sports) should definitely be allowed to earn money off of their name, image and likeness. But should they be given scholarships? Why should the revenue producers support sports teams that can’t pay their own way?

Revenue producers doesn't necessarily mean profitable.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2021, 08:05:58 PM »
Revenue producers doesn't necessarily mean profitable.

True, but at the P5/6 level (especially given TV money) isn’t it common for football and basketball to subsidize the other sports? If I’m wrong, end of discussion. If not, shouldn’t the football and basketball players get the money subsidizing the non revenue sports?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2021, 08:28:46 PM »
True, but at the P5/6 level (especially given TV money) isn’t it common for football and basketball to subsidize the other sports? If I’m wrong, end of discussion. If not, shouldn’t the football and basketball players get the money subsidizing the non revenue sports?

I don't think so, but this has nothing to do with NIL.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2021, 08:40:10 PM »
I didn't know that once you reach a certain pay threshold, jealousy goes away. Someone should tell Gordon Gecko.

But you seem to be saying that college players aren't paid well. So do you think that should be remedied?

I am sure the basketball player who has accepted a D1 scholarship at Rider University, tuition is 44k per year, feels well compensated and not under paid at all. His parents are thrilled he is getting a free education. He knows he is unlikely to play pro ball. I doubt he'll make any money on his NIL, but he'll graduate with a good degree, especially in business as the school has a highly regarded business school in the region.  I doubt schools like Rider make tons of money off their basketball program and the majority of D1 basketball schools are like Rider; not like the P5 or Big East or a handful of A10 schools where a players NIL might mean some extra money. So for the most part the players are well "paid".

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2021, 08:42:05 PM »
I am sure the basketball player who has accepted a D1 scholarship at Rider University, tuition is 44k per year, feels well compensated and not under paid at all. His parents are thrilled he is getting a free education. He knows he is unlikely to play pro ball. I doubt he'll make any money on his NIL, but he'll graduate with a good degree, especially in business as the school has a highly regarded business school in the region.  I doubt schools like Rider make tons of money off their basketball program and the majority of D1 basketball schools are like Rider; not like the P5 or Big East or a handful of A10 schools where a players NIL might mean some extra money. So for the most part the players are well "paid".

Cool.  But what happens to a P6 player has no bearing on the player at Rider.  Both can earn money through NIL.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2021, 08:56:44 PM »

Cool.  But what happens to a P6 player has no bearing on the player at Rider.  Both can earn money through NIL.

Both players are well compensated; one will make money through NIL the other though not impossible highly unlikely. I am just wondering how this will affect schools like Marquette, where will they find the NIL money to compete with the P5 schools for the best players? Not sure this will end well for Marquette basketball. Hope I am wrong.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 09:01:17 PM by muwarrior69 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2021, 09:00:28 PM »

So if the players are well paid... then according to you we don't have to worry about team cohesiveness because well paid people don't get jealous when their teammates make more than they do
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2021, 09:04:15 PM »

Yes,  both Duke basketball players and South Dakota State swimmers should be allowed to earn money off their NIL. The free market will determine how much each gets.  What's the problem?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2021, 09:36:00 PM »
Both players are well compensated; one will make money through NIL the other though not impossible highly unlikely. I am just wondering how this will affect schools like Marquette, where will they find the NIL money to compete with the P5 schools for the best players? Not sure this will end well for Marquette basketball. Hope I am wrong.

I believe MU will do really well. MU was getting ready for NIL.
Goal is National Championship

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2021, 10:15:16 PM »

But now that player, who perhaps is well liked and gregarious in post game interviews and press conferences, might have a name, no matter the relative size, in that central NJ market. And he can find a way to make money off of that in some way with content for a restaurant or car dealership or store near Rider

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2021, 06:14:14 AM »
Yes,  both Duke basketball players and South Dakota State swimmers should be allowed to earn money off their NIL. The free market will determine how much each gets.  What's the problem?

He has no ethos.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2021, 06:31:25 AM »

Rider hasn't had enough money to compete with the P6 for the best players for years.  But as TAMU said, maybe Rider gets real creative at the NIL game and is able to recruit a higher caliber player because of this.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2021, 06:41:45 AM »

The same could be said of Gonzaga, yet their marketing team has them at the forefront of NIL. All this means is the haves will do better and the have nots will not. So basically, the same situation we're in now, except the labor force is able to share some of the billions in revenue that is being made on their backs.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2021, 06:46:16 AM »
The same could be said of Gonzaga, yet their marketing team has them at the forefront of NIL. All this means is the haves will do better and the have nots will not. So basically, the same situation we're in now, except the labor force is able to share some of the billions in revenue that is being made on their backs.

A Venn diagram of the people worried about an unlevel playing field and lovers of capitalism

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2021, 07:52:18 AM »
Interesting article
https://insight.kellogg.northwestern.edu/article/college-athletes-dont-get-paid-racial-inequities

I think there is some inherent racial bias, funneling $$ from sports which have a larger percentage of athletes that are black into sports which are predominately white.