[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-22 College Football thread  (Read 63457 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2021-22 College Football thread
« Reply #500 on: November 24, 2021, 09:59:33 AM »
All the talk of the Bears front office failures made me think of one of my personal most despised Bears hires, John Shoop, the hapless OC under Dick Jauron.  After the Bears tossed him, he bounced around a bit and ended up at UNC as their OC.

Seeing if he was still in coaching, I found this article...
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/sep/03/john-shoop-north-carolina-purdue-college-football-coach

Its hilarious cause he's painting himself as some black-listed martyr being ahead of the curve with NLI.  Which might make sense except he was a TERRIBLE NFL OC who never had an offense outside of the bottom 5 in the league.  And then, in college, his offense at UNC never registered in the top 40, barely top 50 his 2 best seasons even with NFL talent at the skill positions.  Then he moved on to Purdue where he had 3 consecutive seasons of offenses outside of the top 100.  You're out of a job coaching college football cause you were terrible at it, not cause you were in favor of NLI you clown.

Shoop was a piece of work. After games, the media would gather around him and he would read off a script he prepared, long-hand, on a yellow legal pad. Stared straight down at it, sounding catatonic as he spoke.

I actually felt a little sorry for him when he was with the Bears. He was in so far over his head, but what was he supposed to do? Turn down the job? Dick Jauron was such a bad coach, and most of his assistants were incompetent.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #501 on: November 24, 2021, 09:50:14 PM »
Great stuff from Saban here.

@_AlexByington: WATCH: Nick Saban goes OFF during a pre-Thanksgiving rant directed at “self-absorbed” #Alabama fans that can’t appreciate what they have after a ques. about not blowing teams out.
(This came during his weekly “The Nick Saban Show,” 🎥 courtesy of @UA_Athletics’ live stream.) https://twitter.com/_AlexByington/status/1463691609296584706/video/1

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #502 on: November 27, 2021, 02:01:30 PM »
Michigan continuing to snap the ball with 15+ seconds on the play clock while up 8 in the fourth quarter and already in field goal range feels like a disaster waiting to happen.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #503 on: November 27, 2021, 02:29:51 PM »
Michigan continuing to snap the ball with 15+ seconds on the play clock while up 8 in the fourth quarter and already in field goal range feels like a disaster waiting to happen.

…NOT!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #504 on: November 27, 2021, 02:39:48 PM »
Unbelievable game! Michigan ran it down Ohio State's throught.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #505 on: November 27, 2021, 02:40:16 PM »
Final score doesn’t necessarily indicate it, but that was a complete a$$ whipping by Michigan. They ran it at will, very impressive.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #506 on: November 27, 2021, 02:45:01 PM »
Final score doesn’t necessarily indicate it, but that was a complete a$$ whipping by Michigan. They ran it at will, very impressive.

Yeah. They could’ve very easily been up 14-0 but had the puck getting aggressive in the first quarter.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #507 on: November 27, 2021, 03:20:39 PM »
Penn St wearing all white uniforms in a snow storm.     Oy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #508 on: November 27, 2021, 03:59:10 PM »
Penn St wearing all white uniforms in a snow storm.     Oy.
Penn State has been wearing all white for road games since color tv. One of the few schools that doesn't change up a uniform at all.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #509 on: November 27, 2021, 04:00:54 PM »
Auburn leading Alabama 7-0 in the Iron Bowl

-Bill Walton

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #510 on: November 27, 2021, 06:46:13 PM »
Wisconsin should move on from Chryst. Six points on offense today and recruiting has been anemic.

They won’t though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #511 on: November 27, 2021, 06:48:06 PM »
Believe it or not, there are Buckeye backers who are wondering out loud if Ryan Day is the right man for the job at Ohio State.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #512 on: November 27, 2021, 07:00:22 PM »
Am I missing something?  Why did Minnesota storm the field?  Is there an axe shortage because of supply chain issues?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #513 on: November 27, 2021, 07:10:02 PM »
Am I missing something?  Why did Minnesota storm the field?  Is there an axe shortage because of supply chain issues?

This year apparently every game is worthy of a field storming, even when you’re a 7 point favorite like Iowa State was against Ok State.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32697906/you-see-their-eyes-why-rushing-field-rise-college-football
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 10:06:54 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #514 on: November 27, 2021, 08:40:31 PM »
Wisconsin should move on from Chryst. Six points on offense today and recruiting has been anemic.

They won’t though.

And he develops QBs like Nagy does.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #515 on: November 27, 2021, 08:41:56 PM »

Maybe cuz they almost got to the B10 Championship game?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #516 on: November 27, 2021, 10:45:52 PM »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #517 on: November 27, 2021, 11:35:57 PM »
What a day!
Michigan upsetting Ohio State.

Auburn blew the game late vs Alabama.

Oklahoma State holds on versus Oklahoma.

LSU touchdown with 20 seconds left to upset Texas A&M.
-Bill Walton

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #518 on: November 28, 2021, 09:21:59 AM »
One of the reasons the college football playoff needs to expand is because the four team playoff has nearly completely eclipsed the bowls.  No longer is a New Year’s Day bowl sufficient, so when a school like Florida stumbles, like all schools do, they get rid of their coach and all others sign their incumbents to terrible extensions.

Opening up the playoffs gives teams another way to define success, because Sugar and Rose Bowl births no longer suffice.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #519 on: November 28, 2021, 11:19:16 AM »

They won’t though.

Been telling my sconnies friends for two years.  He isn't the solution.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #520 on: November 28, 2021, 11:29:58 AM »
One of the reasons the college football playoff needs to expand is because the four team playoff has nearly completely eclipsed the bowls.  No longer is a New Year’s Day bowl sufficient, so when a school like Florida stumbles, like all schools do, they get rid of their coach and all others sign their incumbents to terrible extensions.

Opening up the playoffs gives teams another way to define success, because Sugar and Rose Bowl births no longer suffice.

Agree with the general thought of this, but I'd expound on it: I'd say that for most fans, the playoff already has definitely eclipsed the bowls.

I think of myself as a fairly typical college football fan. I like it, I'll watch a compelling game of national interest such as yesterday's Michigan-Ohio State game, but I'm not sitting around watching a whole lot of Kansas State-Baylor or MACtion or late-night Pac-12 stuff or even Penn State-Michigan State. Those games and dozens of others on a typical fall Saturday (or Tuesday or Wednesday or Friday) simply don't matter to me.

I can't remember the last bowl game I watched 2 minutes of that wasn't part of the playoff. I certainly don't care about the Weedeater Bowl or Beef-o-Brady Bowl, and even the New Year's Day bowls ... unless one's a Michigan State or Oregon fan, why would one care about an MSU-Oregon Rose Bowl? I guess because that person has nothing better to do? I guess.

I don't feel all that bad for the coaches. They get compensated pretty well to be on the hot seat. If MSU doesn't make the playoffs in the next couple/few years -- and why would you give a coach $10M/year if you didn't expect him to compete for a national title? -- I won't feel too sorry for Mel Tucker.

But yes, I'd like to see the playoff expanded to 8 teams. I'd like to have a reason to watch postseason games.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #521 on: November 28, 2021, 12:07:21 PM »
Yesterday proved Nick Saban is superhuman.

That game was over and yet, somehow, Alabama pulled a rabbit out of its hat. I’m still stunned at this one.

Roll Tide. UGA or no ugly bulldog, I wouldn’t bet against the Crimson Tide for a natty.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #522 on: November 28, 2021, 12:53:17 PM »
Florida hiring Billy Napier.
Another member of the Saban tree lands a head coaching job in the SEC.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #523 on: November 28, 2021, 12:57:01 PM »
Florida hiring Billy Napier.
Another member of the Saban tree lands a head coaching job in the SEC.

Good for him.  He was a hot name for 2 other hiring cycles and he patiently waited it out and kept delivering performance. Now he got a big job instead of a typical meat grinder P5 job

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #524 on: November 28, 2021, 01:11:17 PM »

But yes, I'd like to see the playoff expanded to 8 teams. I'd like to have a reason to watch postseason games.

Very few of the semifinal games been competitive. One went to OT, only two others were single digit games, eight of the 14 games were decided by 20+ points. Is the public really clamoring for more blowouts?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”