collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-22 College Football thread  (Read 63474 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
Re: 2021-22 College Football thread
« Reply #451 on: November 15, 2021, 09:04:42 AM »
I'm really trying to figure this one out.

Sark was fired from USC for "having issues" and showing up to team meetings intoxicated.

After a short stint as an analyst and very briefly as offensive coordinator for Alabama (1 game that they lost), he got he Offensive coordinator position for the Falcons (this alone makes no sense). In his two seasons there, he was a failure and they got substantially worse.

He returned to Alabama as a offensive coordinator, where quite literally a trained monkey could have success as a coordinator. He did well coaching Mac Jones and Tagovailoa.

That earns him a 6-year $34.2M contract at a top 10 program! All while spending an addition $24M on buyouts for the existing coaching staff.

Only in college coaching (or a CEO) can you get fired for showing up to work intoxicated, fail miserably, then have one good year on the easiest job and get $34+M.

If he was in a normal job, he'd be unhireable and have a hard time finding a job flipping burgers.

I'll play Devils Advocate here.  Sarkesian, prior to the alcohol issues, was a very good coach and a hot name for a reason. Washington was a disaster when he took over and he righted the ship. 

The alcohol stuff was bad but if he indeed took appropriate steps and got treatment, then good on him.

I'll disagree with your assessment of the latter stages of his career.  The number of good coaches who failed going from college to the NFL, or vice versa, is long.  If he went from the Falcons to UT, I'd hear your point, but I don't exactly think that is a scarlet letter.  And for all his faults, Sark's issue was never play calling.

But there is a reason Bama's OC job has been a hot commodity.  Sure, you have tons of talent, but you're sitting at the right hand of one of the top few CFB coaches of all time, an incredibly demanding, disciplined, and structured HC and boss.  For that I disagree that its some easy gig.  Saban is gonna destroy you for mistakes and bad playcalling/game planning even if you win 40-7.  Basically the gold standard in career rehab.  Everyone who held the position before him went on to greater and further success (except maybe Mike Locksley).

And its not a normal job, so its silly to place those sort of parameters on it.  If you're amongst the very best at something, you'll get further chances.  Whether it be music, or business, or sports, or politics.

Did Texas seem like a bit of a leap?  For sure.  But also, I don't think that job is as desirable as people think right now, he likely was not 1A, 1B or 1C, no matter how much money the AD will throw around.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #452 on: November 15, 2021, 09:26:15 AM »
I think the truth on Sark is that he is a decent coach and very good offensive mind.  As Wags says though, I think Texas is a little too much for him and he is going to be run out of there eventually.  And yeah I think the Texas job is almost impossible.  Objectively, only two coaches have won there since Royal left, Fred Akers and Mack Brown, and both of them slid the program into mediocrity.  But that doesn't reflect the expectations of the donor base.

Texas football isn't as big a deal to many recruits in Texas as people think it is.  A lot of the players and their families in Texas have no natural allegiance to UT, and are just as likely to be interested in Oklahoma, A&M, LSU or Alabama. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #453 on: November 15, 2021, 10:00:10 AM »
All he did was get in between a player going after a ref. Shouldn’t have shoved him but the player was an idiot.

And recruiting was during COVID with no off campus evaluations or campus visits. The guy won the division last year. There must be something else.

He struck the player in the facemask and then shoved him from behind.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1457140451463417861

And it's apparently not the first time he's gotten physical with one of his players.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/11/13/washington-investigating-jimmy-lake-2019-incident-shoved-player-locker

Anyhow, between him and Roslovich and what's going on at Cal, not a banner year for coaches in the Pac 12 North.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 10:01:50 AM by Pakuni »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #454 on: November 15, 2021, 10:48:03 AM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #455 on: November 15, 2021, 10:54:38 AM »
I think the truth on Sark is that he is a decent coach and very good offensive mind.  As Wags says though, I think Texas is a little too much for him and he is going to be run out of there eventually.  And yeah I think the Texas job is almost impossible.  Objectively, only two coaches have won there since Royal left, Fred Akers and Mack Brown, and both of them slid the program into mediocrity.  But that doesn't reflect the expectations of the donor base.

Texas football isn't as big a deal to many recruits in Texas as people think it is.  A lot of the players and their families in Texas have no natural allegiance to UT, and are just as likely to be interested in Oklahoma, A&M, LSU or Alabama.

I think the population trends in Texas also lend to that.  In 1990, Texas' population was just under 17MM.  Now its around 30MM.  Dallas, a huge recruiting hub, more than doubled in that time.

So you couple UT's waning influence, when compared to other powers in the South, with potentially a bunch of transplants who come from family's who aren't dyed in the wool burnt orange, or even familiar with Texas sports cause they are from elsewhere.

My sister just graduated from UT's business school last year.  While she did most of her work at their campus in Dallas, there were a variety of weekend requirements in Austin.  Football tix were obviously offered and available.  But she's a UW grad, so she was like nah.  Of her core friend group in the program, 5-6 were from Texas.  But 2 went to OU/OSU, 1 was from a TCU family, another was born in Dallas but her parents were from the Northeast, and another was a 2nd generation Californian transplant.  They all went to 1 game for the experience, but it was an interesting look at "Texas raised" people who liked football but were ambivalent about UT.

Yeesh. At that point, you wonder why the school doesn't drop to FCS

You knew that program was doomed to fail if only by looking at the treatment of Mario Cristobal.  Did an incredible job there with a new-ish program that had no success and moved up too fast.  Was being talked about with a lot of good jobs.  Then had one bad year and they tossed him hastily with stupid excuses.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #456 on: November 15, 2021, 11:09:18 AM »
Yeesh. At that point, you wonder why the school doesn't drop to FCS

Because they won't be able to get their buy game contracts as an FCS school, and they need that money to cover the bonding on their athletic facility improvements.  Idaho dropped down to FCS a few years ago, and their revenue tanked as a result.

FBS schools can only pay a limited number of FCS opponents, so the cost for those games are around $600k or so.  FIU can get twice that as an FBS school.  (They got $1.4 million to play Texas Tech this year.) 

This is why UConn will always be an FBS school.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #457 on: November 15, 2021, 02:49:09 PM »
He struck the player in the facemask and then shoved him from behind.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1457140451463417861

And it's apparently not the first time he's gotten physical with one of his players.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/11/13/washington-investigating-jimmy-lake-2019-incident-shoved-player-locker

Anyhow, between him and Roslovich and what's going on at Cal, not a banner year for coaches in the Pac 12 North.

1. The first was not intentional, he was trying to get in between the player. The shove was uncalled for but not a fireable offense.

2. If that really happened as described it would have come out when he was being promoted, not when he's about to be fired after 13 games as head coach.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #458 on: November 15, 2021, 03:30:30 PM »
1. The first was not intentional, he was trying to get in between the player. The shove was uncalled for but not a fireable offense.

He wasn't fired.

But if he is, it won't be just because of this incident.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #459 on: November 15, 2021, 04:51:04 PM »

2. If that really happened as described it would have come out when he was being promoted, not when he's about to be fired after 13 games as head coach.

Hiring John Donovan to be OC was reason enough to get fired.  He didn’t land any of the kids in the state of Washington for this latest class and recruiting is supposed to be one of his calling cards.  They’re getting ahead of the inevitable.

Nebraska should do the same with Scott Frost.  His recruiting class is bad. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #460 on: November 15, 2021, 05:11:54 PM »

We'll have to agree to disagree. Looks very intentional to me.

Five separate witnesses all decided to concoct a story?

As for recruiting, COVID should have helped him last year, not hurt him. Washington (the state) had three 5-star recruits in the Class of 2020, and Lake only landed the one who's a legacy (Damon Huard's son/Brock Huard's nephew) and committed to Chris Peterson as a high school  sophomore.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 05:13:30 PM by Pakuni »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #461 on: November 15, 2021, 09:26:49 PM »

Why do you keep trying to defend and support a mediocre coach with a history of physical conflict?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #462 on: November 16, 2021, 07:04:30 AM »
North Carolina QB Sam Howell had a fine freshman season and a spectacular sophomore campaign. Had NFL rules allowed him to leave college for the league last year, he would have been drafted very high, probably ahead of Fields, and perhaps ahead of Lance.

But he had to return to college because them's the rules. He has not played quite as well this season, in part because his supporting cast is not as good. He has been sacked a lot, chased, beaten up. He's likely to sit out his final home game this week with injury. And after going into this season as the expected No. 1 draft pick, there are many mock drafts projecting him to not even be taken until day 2, and to go after numerous other QBs, including one from Liberty.

I don't feel "sorry" for Howell. He's still going to be rich, and he's still going to have a chance to earn a starting job in the NFL. But the 3-years-out-of-high-school rule unquestionably cost him millions and millions of dollars and put his health at risk, and that sucks for him and others who are ready to cash in but are prevented from doing so.

A pox on the NFL and, especially, the NFLPA.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #463 on: November 16, 2021, 07:53:00 AM »
Justin Fuente out at Virginia Tech.  Poly Tech firing him today cost them an extra $2.5 million in a buyout. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #464 on: November 16, 2021, 08:10:41 AM »
Justin Fuente out at Virginia Tech.  Poly Tech firing him today cost them an extra $2.5 million in a buyout. 

Going to be interesting to see what happens there.  I think Beemer made that job look better than it actually is.  Pretty remote campus, not near any recruiting hotbeds... 

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #465 on: November 16, 2021, 08:21:00 AM »

Going to be interesting to see what happens there.  I think Beemer made that job look better than it actually is.  Pretty remote campus, not near any recruiting hotbeds...

Agree with that.  This might end up being the wildest off-season hiring cycle in recent memory. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #466 on: November 16, 2021, 08:43:31 AM »

Its not a great job.  Blacksburg is truly in the middle of nowhere.  And before Beamer, VT had no even moderate success.  Bud Foster I think was their best chance of continued success, but I get why he was ok to step down.

Fuentes is a good coach who will land on his feet, but it will be interesting who is in the running for that job, it won't be an illustrious list IMO.  Maybe Hugh Freeze.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #467 on: November 16, 2021, 08:46:59 AM »

I'm not sure it's a great job, but there is a fair amount of talent in that region, especially the Norfolk and DC areas.
Coastal Carolina's Jamey Chadwell should be the guy.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 08:53:27 AM by Pakuni »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #468 on: November 16, 2021, 08:57:58 AM »
I'm not sure it's a great job, but there is a fair amount of talent in that region, especially the Norfolk and DC areas.
Coastal Carolina's Jamey Chadwell should be the guy.

Right.  Those cities are like 4 or 5 hours away though.  Chadwell would probably be the best fit there.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #469 on: November 16, 2021, 10:50:34 PM »

Plus Texas fans don't respect that you need 5 years to judge

tower912

• All American
« Reply #470 on: November 17, 2021, 08:21:48 PM »
Mel Tucker, 10 year $95 million extension.  LSU and USC weep.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #471 on: November 17, 2021, 08:23:05 PM »
Mel Tucker, 10 year $95 million extension.  LSU and USC weep.

I bet they regret this within the next five years.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #472 on: November 17, 2021, 08:24:51 PM »
Everything is a gamble in life.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #473 on: November 17, 2021, 08:36:56 PM »
Wow, highest paid coach in the Big Ten for winning nothing yet. Huge showcase game at Ohio State. 20 point underdog. I don't think they will cover.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #474 on: November 20, 2021, 12:31:33 PM »
42-0 Ohio St over MSU with 7 mins left in the 2nd Q??  LOL