[Today at 05:39:36 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coach K retiring after this season  (Read 17167 times)

avid1010

• All American
Re: Coach K retiring after this season
« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2021, 09:22:06 AM »
That’s part of his story but I thought that was more Corey Maggette and William Avery than Brand.  Different time and era.  His thoughts on that evolved through the years as evidenced by utilizing one-and-dones, though, I’d argue that he was better served with veteran rosters. 

I don’t think NIL and transfers actually would have been a problem for him or Roy.  They’d have thrived in any ecosystem of college basketball
Oh yeah, he evolved because he had to in order to win...but when telling a kid whose family was broke and hurting that they were disgraceful to the duke family for leaving early was best for winning...that's what he did.  Al "evolved" past that years earlier and could openly admit what he was.   For someone who won so much, he never seemed comfortable in his own skin. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #126 on: June 05, 2021, 10:56:13 AM »
if wojo stayed at duke does he grt the job instead of scheyer

I think probably. I also think that Wojo believed 100% that going to Marquette would solidify himself even more as K's successor. Most of these high level coaches have huge egos and I have no doubt that Wojo believed his inevitable successful stint as Marquette's HC would help him separate from the pack of other Dukies vying for the position. I'm sure it never occurred to him that he would fail.

We often hear stories about athletes/coaches who bet on themselves and win. This one kind of went the other way. But then again...

As funny as it sounds, long term, it was probably better for Wojo to go to Marquette instead of stay, even if he would have been the guy instead of Scheyer.  Especially financially.  He made more here than doing the same floundering at Duke and getting tossed after 2-3 years.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 03:17:47 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #127 on: June 05, 2021, 01:20:47 PM »
My dislike started when he put Elton Brand, and others, through hell for wanting to leave early.  A coach like Al would say "takr the money" and admit to not being perfect while trying to do right by his players.  K projected to be perfect and pulled crap like that.  Not a terrible man by any means...but not a guy I liked to cheer for.

It was Will Avery, mainly because he stopped going to classes and dropped out of school as soon as the season was over. Looking at Avery’s NBA career, he was right in saying he wasn’t ready.

K and Brand were on the same page and K supported the decision. https://sites.cs.ucsb.edu/~mikec/cs48/misc/quotes/trust.html

“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2021, 01:38:07 PM »
The Dillon Brooks incident sealed the deal for me. About as phony as Buzz.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2021, 02:23:09 PM »
It was Will Avery, mainly because he stopped going to classes and dropped out of school as soon as the season was over. Looking at Avery’s NBA career, he was right in saying he wasn’t ready.

K and Brand were on the same page and K supported the decision. https://sites.cs.ucsb.edu/~mikec/cs48/misc/quotes/trust.html

Thanks for posting this; you beat me to it. K totally supported Brand's decision. He did question Avery, who was nowhere near ready to be a pro (and K was proven right about that).

We all know about Al's legend telling guys to go pro ... but I'm pretty sure he would not have voiced as much support had, say, Lloyd Walton wanted to go pro after his first year.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #130 on: June 05, 2021, 02:32:56 PM »

You're saying Coach K didn't unfairly pressure kids to stay at Duke? 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #131 on: June 05, 2021, 02:35:22 PM »
Avery was still a lottery pick though.  It’s not like a Vander situation.  If you’re a lottery pick, you go, period.  Especially when you just played on a Runner Up team that was losing 2 other lottery picks plus a graduating Trajan Langdon.  K was fine with Brand leaving to be the consensus #1 but he was pissed about losing Maggette and Avery too.

I don’t think he’s the devil incarnate, but acting like people only don’t like Coach K cause he’s very successful is total BS.  Plenty of successful coaches don’t berate student writers and other underlings for daring to question him like he does.  He’s is discussion for the best of all time, without a doubt.  He’s also a phony egomaniacal douche

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #132 on: June 05, 2021, 03:30:47 PM »
The Dillon Brooks incident sealed the deal for me. About as phony as Buzz.

Yup.  Same here.  That was a complete embarrassment as was his "apology".  Good for Dillon Brooks to move beyond  Coach K's nonsense and become a really good NBA player.  Conjuring a story out of thin air isn't a good look.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #133 on: June 05, 2021, 03:33:57 PM »
Thanks for posting this; you beat me to it. K totally supported Brand's decision. He did question Avery, who was nowhere near ready to be a pro (and K was proven right about that).

We all know about Al's legend telling guys to go pro ... but I'm pretty sure he would not have voiced as much support had, say, Lloyd Walton wanted to go pro after his first year.
We read that article very differently.  I wonder what would have happened if Brand would have had a career altering injury in his sophomore year after passing up a guaranteed roughly $8 mil over 3 years...

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #134 on: June 05, 2021, 03:36:05 PM »

Avery's mom hadn't been able to work for 3 years because of back issues and his grandma was very ill...yet K made him feel like crap for leaving and ripped him prior to the draft.  Leave before K says its okay and you'll pay...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #135 on: June 05, 2021, 03:53:36 PM »
Avery's mom hadn't been able to work for 3 years because of back issues and his grandma was very ill...yet K made him feel like crap for leaving and ripped him prior to the draft.  Leave before K says its okay and you'll pay...

Yeah, I didn't mean to softpedal it. K was a d-bag with the Avery thing. But not having K's blessing didn't keep Avery from getting drafted high.

K had a lot of success, he did many things well, he also could be a dirtball like a lot of college coaches are.

And there certainly is jealousy of his success, as well as of many successful coaches.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback