[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 162173 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #1125 on: July 16, 2021, 09:09:18 AM »
TAMU

I think Garcia is a nice player and wish he was returning. That said, I was not a fan of his style of play. No doubt the kid can play, but I am not expecting to become a college AA or NBA star down the road. Have to admit, I have been wrong on a lot of players and he may prove me wrong.

Somewhere in the internet universe is me proclaiming that both Tre Young and Ja Morant will be huge NBA busts.
Still shocked no NBA team has offered me a scouting job.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1126 on: July 16, 2021, 09:40:47 AM »
The Garcia situation reminds me of something that happened many years ago with the Badgers. In the early 80s the Badgers had a very strong recruiting class led by a guy named Brad Sellers as well as Corey Blackwell and Scott Roth all three who eventually went to play in the NBA . For those to young to remember, Sellers was one of the first super tall , skinny and talented big man. He was 7 feet and barely 200 pounds. Unfortunately for the Badgers they had a Bad Coach , who just like our mediocre coach,  was named Steve. So the Badgers went 6-21 and 8-20 in Sellers first two years. Despite having a team with 3 future NBA players. Sellers played well and put up numbers those two years but ended up transferred to Ohio State. When he got to Ohio State, the head coach was Eldon Miller, who was essentially the Mike Deane of Ohio State coaches. Sellers was paired with Dennis Hopson who was Ohio States all time leading scorer , All American etc. Sellers was a lottery pick (9th) and Hopson was picked 3rd. Despite all this talent, the lousy of coaching of Miller resulted in a 3rd and 7th place finish in the Big Ten.

I am pointing this out because I believe in the top down approach to winning. Have to start with a good coach. Coach lays down the philosophies and foundation of what makes a winning team.   It is really easy to get caught up in the individual performances but it is a team sport( The Brad Sellers saga) and the bottom line is winning.

On the whole I believe our coaching staff this year is substantially improved and our composite roster is more than strong enough to compete for that 3rd spot in the Big East after Nova and U Conn. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #1127 on: July 16, 2021, 11:05:25 AM »
Hope you are right on this years team Herm.  Agreed that coaching is the major advantage over the long run in team sports.  Great players and bad coaching gets you mediocrity. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1128 on: July 16, 2021, 12:10:13 PM »
Herman, good story.  Only inaccuracy is that Bill Cofield was the head coach that recruited those three to Wisconsin and coached them their first year.  Yoder came in their second year, only to be just as terrible.  That coaching search was a fiasco because their first choice was the head coach of UW-Eau Claire - a guy named Ken Anderson.  The AD at the time, Elroy Hirsch, skipped his introductory press conference to go on a Caribbean cruise, and his assistant kept calling him the wrong name.  So Anderson went back to Eau Claire, and they ended up with Yoder.

BTW, one of Cofield's proteges, who Cofield brought to Wisconsin, was none other than....Bo Ryan.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1129 on: July 16, 2021, 12:41:13 PM »
Herman, good story.  Only inaccuracy is that Bill Cofield was the head coach that recruited those three to Wisconsin and coached them their first year.  Yoder came in their second year, only to be just as terrible.  That coaching search was a fiasco because their first choice was the head coach of UW-Eau Claire - a guy named Ken Anderson.  The AD at the time, Elroy Hirsch, skipped his introductory press conference to go on a Caribbean cruise, and his assistant kept calling him the wrong name.  So Anderson went back to Eau Claire, and they ended up with Yoder.

BTW, one of Cofield's proteges, who Cofield brought to Wisconsin, was none other than....Bo Ryan.

Legend has it that Cofield believed in NIL long before anyone else. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1130 on: July 16, 2021, 05:07:18 PM »

And where St. Bo earned himself a  NCAA Elba banishment to Platteville that eventually got Cofield fired.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #1131 on: July 16, 2021, 08:11:10 PM »
There are two things Wisconsin-born sports fans who grew up in the 90s and beyond can’t comprehend:  The Packers and Badgers sucking on a very consistent basis.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1132 on: July 16, 2021, 08:22:18 PM »
And where St. Bo earned himself a  NCAA Elba banishment to Platteville that eventually got Cofield fired.

Ryan was an assistant under Yoder for a couple seasons though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1133 on: July 16, 2021, 08:26:10 PM »
There are two things Wisconsin-born sports fans who grew up in the 90s and beyond can’t comprehend:  The Packers and Badgers sucking on a very consistent basis.

Yep.  Hard to believe a good segment of adult population in WI can only remember a future first ballot HOF at QB for the Packers. 

I remember a late 80’s chant at the new Bradley Center “Bad-ger Foot-ball”.  😆

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1134 on: July 16, 2021, 08:26:45 PM »

Wasn’t he gone to Platteville before Yoder arrived?

NM. He was on Yoder’s bench two seasons
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 08:29:11 PM by HutchwasClutch »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1135 on: July 16, 2021, 10:25:52 PM »

Bo paid players. Squirmy. Fact

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1136 on: July 17, 2021, 05:58:52 AM »

FWIW, when he was at Milwaukee, he’d take his players golfing and open the charge card and let them use it to buy stuff from the pro shop along with paying for the golf and lunch.  For me, this is a shrug your shoulders thing.  It did bring me to a smile when Bagder fans would rant and rave about St. Bo, though.  I don’t have a problem with him doing what I described but the idea he was above board is laughable
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1137 on: July 17, 2021, 08:02:33 AM »
FWIW, when he was at Milwaukee, he’d take his players golfing and open the charge card and let them use it to buy stuff from the pro shop along with paying for the golf and lunch.  For me, this is a shrug your shoulders thing.  It did bring me to a smile when Bagder fans would rant and rave about St. Bo, though.  I don’t have a problem with him doing what I described but the idea he was above board is laughable
better dead, than RED…but I’d take Bo. Yup.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1138 on: July 17, 2021, 09:17:23 AM »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1985-07-22-8502170750-story,amp.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1986-01-22-8601060733-story,amp.html

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1139 on: July 17, 2021, 09:43:39 AM »

Not debating that in the least. Ryan’s move to Platteville happened years after Cofield was fired. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1140 on: July 17, 2021, 10:37:25 AM »
Not debating that in the least. Ryan’s move to Platteville happened years after Cofield was fired.

Cofield's last season was 1981-82.   Bo's first year in exile in Platteville was 84-85. Bo set up the loan under Cofield, and under Yoder they thought the idea of transferring rather than reporting the loan was a good idea (double squirmy).

So, Bo helped bring down two coaches (who knows how much Finley was paid). Yoder was on the chopping block with that move per the articles from that time but he got off with a reprimand. Bo was sent parts west.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1141 on: July 17, 2021, 10:44:58 AM »
Cofield's last season was 1981-82.   Bo's first year in exile in Platteville was 84-85. Bo set up the loan under Cofield, and under Yoder they thought the idea of transferring rather than reporting the loan was a good idea (double squirmy).

So, Bo helped bring down two coaches (who knows how much Finley was paid). Yoder was on the chopping block with that move per the articles from that time but he got off with a reprimand. Bo was sent parts west.

Gotcha.  Didn't get a lot of bang for his buck win wise.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1142 on: July 19, 2021, 06:53:48 PM »
Awesome Story Herm hope you are correct.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1143 on: July 19, 2021, 07:08:18 PM »
Awesome Story Herm hope you are correct.

Heard from someone who has played against Carton and against and with Kur Kuath.
He feels Carton and Garcia were both “very good players” as evidenced by North Carolina. Darryl Morsell is an excellent replacement if not better than Carton overall especially when it comes to winning. As far as Replacing Garcia. Garcia was excellent but Kur is not as good but a very good player defensively and about as good when it comes to winning. I feel with Lewis playing more and maybe Joplin and others we will be alright. Am trying to relay what I was told to the best of my knowledge.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1144 on: July 27, 2021, 09:08:57 PM »
Dawson wearing an edited Marquette jersey in his first endorsement.

https://twitter.com/jimmysseafood/status/1419996622092738561?s=21

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #1145 on: July 27, 2021, 09:18:06 PM »
Dawson wearing an edited Marquette jersey in his first endorsement.

https://twitter.com/jimmysseafood/status/1419996622092738561?s=21
how much money he make for somthing like thus

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1146 on: July 27, 2021, 09:19:58 PM »
Also has a camp now. Wasting no time with the NIL.

https://twitter.com/dawson23lee/status/1419763980420190212?s=21

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1147 on: July 28, 2021, 05:47:34 AM »
This is the way elite programs will do better going forward and get highly rated recruits. No kid is going to a camp hosted by athletes from Winona State, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1148 on: July 28, 2021, 07:22:33 AM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1149 on: July 28, 2021, 08:08:05 AM »
This is the way elite programs will do better going forward and get highly rated recruits. No kid is going to a camp hosted by athletes from Winona State, aina?

Yeah, because Winona State was so competitive with the elite programs on the recruiting trail before players could profit off their NIL.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter