[Today at 11:24:41 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:16:57 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 162129 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #425 on: June 24, 2021, 02:24:04 PM »
Didn't want to start a new thread just for this, but Tennessee freshman Keon Johnson recorded a max vertical jump of 48 inches Wednesday to break the NBA Draft Combine record in the drill.

Beating Zac McCall's previous record of 47.75 inches
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #426 on: June 24, 2021, 04:50:17 PM »
Didn't want to start a new thread just for this, but Tennessee freshman Keon Johnson recorded a max vertical jump of 48 inches Wednesday to break the NBA Draft Combine record in the drill.
That's positively Ners-like

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #427 on: June 24, 2021, 05:33:44 PM »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #428 on: June 24, 2021, 08:11:07 PM »

A 48??  That's gotta be in the highest of all-time?  I mean at the NBA combine.....Humpback Whales have a 600 inch vert..  :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 08:14:07 PM by MuggsyB »

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #429 on: June 24, 2021, 08:17:11 PM »
That's positively Ners-like

Love it, ATL.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #430 on: June 25, 2021, 05:05:20 PM »
He is entering the portal and keeping all options open

https://twitter.com/dawson23lee/status/1408545606998634497?s=21

“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #431 on: June 25, 2021, 05:14:23 PM »
I’m kind of over Dawson Garcia at this point if I’m being honest.
No Finish Line

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #432 on: June 25, 2021, 05:16:57 PM »

Agreed. String the program along chasing what he wanted to hear and then enters the portal. Let's move on.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #433 on: June 25, 2021, 05:22:09 PM »

The wording of the Tweet makes it sound like Marquette is his last choice.  Just worded like that I think.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #434 on: June 25, 2021, 05:33:18 PM »
Can’t blame him. Play 1 more season in college I’d want to win too. Isn’t gonna do that at Marquette next season.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #435 on: June 25, 2021, 05:58:32 PM »
Can’t blame him. Play 1 more season in college I’d want to win too. Isn’t gonna do that at Marquette next season.

Hopefully all our best players won’t think the same way on a yearly basis.  We will be a perpetually bad minor league feeder team.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #436 on: June 25, 2021, 06:21:12 PM »

It’s a smart move for Garcia to consider all options. Although, winning in college is definitely lower on his priority list. Just look at his finalists a year ago. 

Marquette: no postseason
Memphis: NIT
Indiana: no postseason
Minnesota: no postseason

He’s looking to be a featured player and the only reason he came here was because Wojo pitched him on Ellenson level usage. Not sure that would continue to be the case with Shaka. I’ll predict he either stays here or ends up a gopher.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #437 on: June 25, 2021, 06:22:28 PM »

Minnesota. Ben Johnson has TC AAU ties and hired local AAU guys. They've been working on Garcia since Johnson was hired.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #438 on: June 25, 2021, 06:58:26 PM »

Ugh. But Shaka has a solid track record of developing bigs. Maybe Dawson comes back.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #439 on: June 25, 2021, 07:08:31 PM »
Next dude up, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #440 on: June 25, 2021, 07:22:05 PM »

He gone. Shame. If he was willing to put in the work here he'd be a lotto.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #441 on: June 25, 2021, 07:32:30 PM »
He's looking for a better golden opportunity
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #442 on: June 25, 2021, 07:33:22 PM »
It’s a smart move for Garcia to consider all options. Although, winning in college is definitely lower on his priority list. Just look at his finalists a year ago. 

Marquette: no postseason
Memphis: NIT
Indiana: no postseason
Minnesota: no postseason

He’s looking to be a featured player and the only reason he came here was because Wojo pitched him on Ellenson level usage. Not sure that would continue to be the case with Shaka. I’ll predict he either stays here or ends up a gopher.

Marquette was a lock for the 2020 NCAA Tournament - 97 out of 97 in Bracket Mateix, with the average seed being a 9.

So while you’re technically correct, the same “no postseason” could have been said about Gonzaga, Kansas, Baylor, Duke, Nova, Dayton, Michigan State, Kentucky and, well, the entire top 50 that year.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #443 on: June 25, 2021, 07:41:17 PM »

It’s fine for you and others to be “over” Garcia, and DJ too, for that matter. You feel what you feel, and you’re entitled to that.

But IMHO we’d have been an NCAA tourney team with them being coached by Shaka and supported by an improved group around them, and we probably have little chance without them.

And that seems a little bit of an odd stance given how much people complain about us having no postseason success the last 8 years.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #444 on: June 25, 2021, 07:50:31 PM »
He gone. Shame. If he was willing to put in the work here he'd be a lotto.

Really? He can’t do that anywhere else?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #445 on: June 25, 2021, 07:51:42 PM »
Our record last year was 13-14. It is right in our face every time one goes to this website.

We have a new coach with an exciting vision, and what appears to be some players with commentary skills. Looking forward to the season with the guys who want to buy into our Coaches vision for MU.

There are going to be some players who have explored the NBA Process and may want to come to our program ,as well as players who are waiting to see how the NBA process plays out for others , before they make their own transfer decisions. Those players are going to be choosing a school based on what they feel is best for them. Still plenty of time to finish out our roster with some more quality players as MU has a lot to offer right now. 

I think with the new transfer rules, we literally have to be looking at rosters one year at a time. We had some players return , some transfer, some go pro and some entering the portal .  Overall I like where MU is at, and with a few key pickups we could be in a very good position.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #446 on: June 25, 2021, 07:53:15 PM »
Time to dig out and put on the 70s era Movin On jeans.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #447 on: June 25, 2021, 08:07:07 PM »
Really? He can’t do that anywhere else?

He can, but I think leaving (which I expect) is a particularly dumb move. If he wants to go to the NBA, Shaka will have sent 6 bigs to the league since 2017 after this draft. Dawson was the leading G League combine scorer and didn't get a NBA Combine invite, which means he needs to work his defense, which is Shaka's specialty. At Marquette, he'll be the offensive focal point, where he's likely to look he'll just be another option. He will be the centerpiece of NIL options here, which also won't likely be the case elsewhere.

Dawson played for a coach that has done poorly advancing his players to the NBA and sucked at defense. When Shaka was hired, DG basically won the lottery in terms of matching the coach with the ability to develop his weaknesses. And he's going to walk away from that.

I don't think anywhere he is likely to go is a better launching pad than here. Not the blue bloods like Kentucky or UNC where he's likely to end up, and definitely not Minnesota where he would join maybe the worst high major team in the country.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

panda

• All American
« Reply #448 on: June 25, 2021, 08:29:11 PM »
He can, but I think leaving (which I expect) is a particularly dumb move. If he wants to go to the NBA, Shaka will have sent 6 bigs to the league since 2017 after this draft. Dawson was the leading G League combine scorer and didn't get a NBA Combine invite, which means he needs to work his defense, which is Shaka's specialty. At Marquette, he'll be the offensive focal point, where he's likely to look he'll just be another option. He will be the centerpiece of NIL options here, which also won't likely be the case elsewhere.

Dawson played for a coach that has done poorly advancing his players to the NBA and sucked at defense. When Shaka was hired, DG basically won the lottery in terms of matching the coach with the ability to develop his weaknesses. And he's going to walk away from that.

I don't think anywhere he is likely to go is a better launching pad than here. Not the blue bloods like Kentucky or UNC where he's likely to end up, and definitely not Minnesota where he would join maybe the worst high major team in the country.

If you excel at a big school, you put yourself in a better position for the next level.

I’d love for him to stay here, but it doesn’t really elevate his profile if he has a similar season here as he did last year and MU is a mediocre team.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #449 on: June 25, 2021, 08:41:21 PM »

It is his decision and his choice, but I also concur his plan, if you call it that, was not particularly well thought out.

Dawson was graded a 2nd Round pick, at best, when he declared.  Yes, you can get paid a year earlier, but if you find yourself in a spot where you will not have ability to develop (and eventually cash in at the NBA level) you can be stuck in purgatory and then out of the league.

If he does transfer to another school now, which I think it is clear he will now, you made the decision after many rosters have become filled and your options are much more limited than what it was just several weeks ago.  Again, not well thought out.

If he does end up at Minnesota, who is too rebuilding, is playing for an unproven head coach really put you in better position to elevate your game to make yourself more attractive for the NBA.  Possibly, but unlikely.

Playing for a proven head coach with bigs and defense, and leading the team to a better record than the year before, would, IMO, immensely helped his development much more.  Oh well, his decision, his choice.

I said it when Shaka was hired, but for the benefit of the long-term development of the program, it remains in the best interest to have as many holdovers, leftovers, etc. to pursue other opportunities as possible. Dawson would have been one of our best players, no doubt.  But his focus would be on the NBA next year.  I'd imagine that would negatively affect the culture Shaka is already hard at work instilling.