[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Is Uber a scam?  (Read 5386 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Is Uber a scam?
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2021, 11:42:22 AM »
That argument only works if the only reason people preferred Uber/Lyft was pricing.  The myriad stories here of systemic shady cab behavior, and the taxi industry's unwillingness to address it, gave as much fuel to Uber's rise as prices.  Even before UberX came out, I was using UberTaxi regularly cause it cut out so much of the BS in routes, payment, disputes, etc...  And it wasn't just an app, cause I had Hail or other taxi apps and never really used them.

Restrictions on taxis aren't the reason I was once dumped at Division and Elston on my way to ORD because my cabbie saw traffic on the highway and decided he didn't want to sit in it and he pulled over and demanded I get out and wouldn't move till I did.

My point was that for a long time there have been a lot of regulations around taxi/cabs.  Uber basically flipped the bird to the system.  I don't disagree that there are a lot of bad cab experiences, but maybe the solution should be to put Uber and traditional taxis on a level playing field... it's what should have happened from the start. 

Also, I've had a similar experience in NYC with a trip from Times Square out to LGA.  Upon arrival at LGA I told the cab driver I'd like to use my card... to which he said it was broken (this is illegal btw).  Bad news for him was that I only had enough cash in my wallet to cover the fare.  No tip.  He wasn't happy, but I'm not a sucker.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2021, 11:48:34 AM »
I don't disagree that there are a lot of bad cab experiences, but maybe the solution should be to put Uber and traditional taxis on a level playing field... it's what should have happened from the start. 

Nah. Pretty much everyone in here except you agrees that things are better now.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2021, 11:50:53 AM »
I'm not sure how the "more regulation" argument for cabs can be taken seriously. Cab drivers routinely ripped off and scammed their customers, and there was very little recourse. And the entire cab system, at least in big cities, was propped up by a medallion system that had artificial scarcity. Drivers were banking on the fact that they'd be able to cash out their medallions for tens of thousands, perhaps even hundreds of thousands of dollars at some point. The entire system was based on speculation that was entirely invented by government. It was dumb and an inefficient use of the market.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2021, 11:56:02 AM »
I'm not sure how the "more regulation" argument for cabs can be taken seriously. Cab drivers routinely ripped off and scammed their customers, and there was very little recourse. And the entire cab system, at least in big cities, was propped up by a medallion system that had artificial scarcity. Drivers were banking on the fact that they'd be able to cash out their medallions for tens of thousands, perhaps even hundreds of thousands of dollars at some point. The entire system was based on speculation that was entirely invented by government. It was dumb and an inefficient use of the market.

Ah, so you agree with me.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2021, 11:57:11 AM »
Ah, so you agree with me.

Your point was that regulation had no tangible benefits?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2021, 12:12:18 PM »
Your point was that regulation had no tangible benefits?

My point is that when Uber was allowed to just ignore the rules, the cabs should have been allowed to do the same.  Deregulate the cabs so they can compete, or enforce the existing laws on Uber.

Level the playing field one way or another.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2021, 09:34:02 AM »
Actually I agree with you Hards.
No one has yet addressed my concern over Uber/Lyft and the ADA, the last I had read on that, the rideshare companies were claiming that they were technology not transportation so had no obligation to comply.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2021, 05:05:24 PM »
Actually I agree with you Hards.
No one has yet addressed my concern over Uber/Lyft and the ADA, the last I had read on that, the rideshare companies were claiming that they were technology not transportation so had no obligation to comply.

Was there ever anyone addressing the ADA with Taxis? I feel like I've never been in a wheelchair compliant taxi before.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2021, 05:37:37 PM »
Was there ever anyone addressing the ADA with Taxis? I feel like I've never been in a wheelchair compliant taxi before.

I assure you, as someone with direct knowledge, they exist, and are in much higher demand than you'd think.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2021, 08:38:14 PM »

I think there are two things here.  First, I think drivers have a fairly good understanding of the cost of operating a car, but they would rather have the cash immediately and worry about things like depreciation later.  Essentially they are borrowing against that depreciation for short term cash, which might be entirely fine.

As for the cost of their time, my guess is that many people do this when they would otherwise just be sitting around doing nothing.  And they can do it whenever they want, versus a normal side hustle where someone else sets your schedule.

Or maybe in both cases I am just giving people the benefit of the doubt.

I am amazed by the number of times I have been picked up in a newer Mercedes or a Lexus or some other $40K+ vehicle for a regular Uber ride.  I have to believe that some people think, "I am going to buy this expensive car and cover the monthly payment by giving Uber rides".
Have some patience, FFS.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2021, 09:09:18 PM »
I am amazed by the number of times I have been picked up in a newer Mercedes or a Lexus or some other $40K+ vehicle for a regular Uber ride.  I have to believe that some people think, "I am going to buy this expensive car and cover the monthly payment by giving Uber rides".

I have had several Uber drivers tell me exactly this while I sit in the back of a new X5 or once, a Land Rover.

On if Uber is a scam...
Y’all try to get an Uber lately? Driver shortage is insane.

No cars available at 8am in Nashville a couple weeks ago, the app did offer a $150 UberXL which could arrive in 26 minutes for my 5 mile trip.

It also used to be really easy & convenient to Uber between bars on weekend evenings out in the suburbs - just pulled up the app, the closest one is 16 minutes out.

Trying to run Uber like a business leads to reduced driver signup bonuses and reduced driver income, and worse driver experience reduces cars on the road, which reduces people looking for Ubers... first couple turns in the death spiral?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2021, 09:42:31 PM »
I have had several Uber drivers tell me exactly this while I sit in the back of a new X5 or once, a Land Rover.

On if Uber is a scam...
Y’all try to get an Uber lately? Driver shortage is insane.

No cars available at 8am in Nashville a couple weeks ago, the app did offer a $150 UberXL which could arrive in 26 minutes for my 5 mile trip.

It also used to be really easy & convenient to Uber between bars on weekend evenings out in the suburbs - just pulled up the app, the closest one is 16 minutes out.

Trying to run Uber like a business leads to reduced driver signup bonuses and reduced driver income, and worse driver experience reduces cars on the road, which reduces people looking for Ubers... first couple turns in the death spiral?

Now do the same for healthcare...because the same is happening.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2021, 11:37:48 PM »

There is also novelty and boredom.  It’s tapered a bit but driving Uber was “cool” in some foreign places like HK and spots in Europe.  A buddy of mine who worked for Uber mentioned as much as it applied to their marketing there.  In HK in particular, I’ve been picked up in a G Wagon, a Range Rover, multiple TSLA Model S, and a bunch of Mercedes...all for standard UberX rides.  They were usually rich trust fund kids who had nothing better to do and thought it was cool/fun

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2021, 11:25:38 AM »
ADA isn’t just wheelchairs. It also involves things like people with seeing eye dogs, and other assistance. Taxis have regulations to follow.  Ubers have been known to simply pass up people and no longer be available.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2021, 09:28:11 AM »
Had an interesting experience today. Made my”reservation” the night before and when I got up this morning there were no cars available. First time that ever happened to me.

Luckily we had time to drive to the airport.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2021, 10:57:23 AM »
Had an interesting experience today. Made my”reservation” the night before and when I got up this morning there were no cars available. First time that ever happened to me.

We had big issues getting Ubers in San Francisco. Half hour waits at times.

I was lucky that I did get someone when scheduling in advance for the airport.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2021, 04:36:31 PM »
We had big issues getting Ubers in San Francisco. Half hour waits at times.

I was lucky that I did get someone when scheduling in advance for the airport.

The ride share companies are also in the same bind as rental car companies where they sold off their pools of cars at the start of the pandemic. Now that they want to lease more to replenish their pool supply, the car manufacturers cannot make them. So it's not just a lack of drivers on the supply side or the opening of restrictions on the demand. Expect this to continue for quite some time as the core drivers now are primarily those who own their own cars.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2021, 04:45:09 PM »

Some coach friends flew to NC to recruit last weekend. When they arrived at the airport was a 4 hour wait at the rental car desk and the car they reserved wasn't there. No other companies had cars. They ended up renting a U-Haul pick-up for the weekend.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2021, 09:20:45 PM »
Uber gave me a $20 credit for the inconvenience they put me through. Thought that was a decent goodwill gesture.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2021, 01:01:00 AM »
When I first started traveling to Moscow (Russia, not Idaho) in 2012 there were no formal taxis and no Uber.  No booking service for non-Russian speakers at all.  My assistant would book and it would be 3000 RUB (back when exchange was 30rub/$1) for the first 20 minutes in a smelly old junker with a driver who was usually more drunk than me. 

In comes Uber.  App works in English.  The same ride is now 300 rub or you can get a Merc or Bimmer for 1000 rub.  The cars are new and clean.  The drivers cannot claim not to know where you are going, payment is automated and the chances for complaints are minimal. 

Suddently Moscow has Uber, Yandex Taxi, GETT and a few others.  Then in 2017, Yandex bought Uber Russia and the service continue to improve.  In 2018, Yandex Taxi was profitable.  The drivers get paid a living wage, the cars are all leased and the standards on the vehicles are upheld.  It's safe to say that Uber revolutionized the taxi industry in Russia.  A short ride is still under 100 rubles. ($1.30) An airport run from central Moscow in a Merc is 3000RUB ($40).  The last time I was in a smelly taxi was in New York city...

Whenever I've had a problem the customer service has been excellent and the refunds prompt.  I had a driver fall asleep at the wheel once (I noticed and awoke him before we crashed) and even in that situation they had honest and clear feedback.  "Thanks for letting us know you had a problem.  That driver has been terminated!"

I am ever thankful for their existence. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2021, 11:16:29 AM »
Uber gave me a $20 credit for the inconvenience they put me through. Thought that was a decent goodwill gesture.

Ive had my issues with Uber, but one thing I'll say is their customer service in terms of refunds and credits has always been pretty top notch.  I struggle to remember a time where a bad experience, much less an incorrect route or fare, wasn't immediately remedied financially in some way.

When I first started traveling to Moscow (Russia, not Idaho) in 2012 there were no formal taxis and no Uber.  No booking service for non-Russian speakers at all.  My assistant would book and it would be 3000 RUB (back when exchange was 30rub/$1) for the first 20 minutes in a smelly old junker with a driver who was usually more drunk than me. 

In comes Uber.  App works in English.  The same ride is now 300 rub or you can get a Merc or Bimmer for 1000 rub.  The cars are new and clean.  The drivers cannot claim not to know where you are going, payment is automated and the chances for complaints are minimal. 

Suddently Moscow has Uber, Yandex Taxi, GETT and a few others.  Then in 2017, Yandex bought Uber Russia and the service continue to improve.  In 2018, Yandex Taxi was profitable.  The drivers get paid a living wage, the cars are all leased and the standards on the vehicles are upheld.  It's safe to say that Uber revolutionized the taxi industry in Russia.  A short ride is still under 100 rubles. ($1.30) An airport run from central Moscow in a Merc is 3000RUB ($40).  The last time I was in a smelly taxi was in New York city...

Whenever I've had a problem the customer service has been excellent and the refunds prompt.  I had a driver fall asleep at the wheel once (I noticed and awoke him before we crashed) and even in that situation they had honest and clear feedback.  "Thanks for letting us know you had a problem.  That driver has been terminated!"

I am ever thankful for their existence. 

Same with my experience in India.  I started traveling there around 2013-2014.  Uber was years away.  They had Ola, which has greatly expanded, but it was in its early days and still very much a cash based endeavor.  You'd book on the app, but drivers still expected to be paid in cash.  There was also wildly varying quality in both cars and drivers, from the distracted and scheming, to the flatout reckless and unsafe.  I became comfortable enough, and had assistance from my Indian reps to the extent that I made do, but the first trip there with Uber was life changing.  My often long rides across Mumbai became much more consistent, faster, and comfortable cause it wasn't an argument to have air conditioning on a 95% day with 90% humidity.  And while I know Uber has plenty of financial issues for drivers, almost every driver I speak to in India says they would much rather drive Uber fares than Ola or the like.

feedback