[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Is Uber a scam?  (Read 5241 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Is Uber a scam?
« on: May 28, 2021, 02:15:48 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OjW6ZZuJ4w4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OjW6ZZuJ4w4</a>
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 03:04:34 PM by jesmu84 »

JWags85

• All American
Re: Is Uber a scam?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 02:24:06 PM »
Can you add descriptions before dropping random YouTube links into threads? You do it all the time.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 02:37:47 PM »
A lot of the arguments he makes he doesn't dive into that well in my opinion. The research was done with one mindset "uber is bad how can I prove that, and what inflammatory remarks can I add in there"

Uber > Taxis which were a true scam to the rider. I grew up on and off literally a block and a half away from the Chicago west side border, Taxis would routinely try to charge the suburban penalty for leaving city limits of $20-30 depending on the company. When I told one to just drive back to the border and let me out the guy started screaming at me. This wouldn't happen in Uber. Additionally, how many times have you gotten in cabs that reek of vomit or B.O. or god knows what else? Uber allows users to hold the drivers accountable in a way Taxis do not. Finally, while Uber fares are out of control right now, it's not debatable that they have been considerably more affordable than taxis for a long time. Especially the uber pool fares.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 02:57:50 PM »
I can separate Uber-the-technology-and-idea from Uber-the-P&L. I don't think it will ever make money as a company, and thus can call it a scam at the exact same time that I think it is an innovation that crushes its competition (cabs, etc.).

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 03:01:00 PM »
Can you add descriptions before dropping random YouTube links into threads? You do it all the time.

My apologies. I thought the website provided embedded videos with the descriptions.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 03:28:20 PM »
The premise isn't wrong. But is Uber any more a scam as Walmart?

In its expansion days, Walmart did the same. Come into a new market, operate at a loss. Drive out mom and pop shops, and then hire them back at minimum wage.

Or Tesla? Just posted its first profit not too long ago.

Or Amazon? Same business concept.

The big thing about Uber, is it can be operational and competitive in markets where taxi's couldn't (small towns). Where I went to college, there were no taxi's, because it couldn't survive. Uber thrives there still, as locals and college kids are happy to earn a few extra bucks at random.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 03:33:58 PM »
My apologies. I thought the website provided embedded videos with the descriptions.

All good, just a heads up.

A lot of the arguments he makes he doesn't dive into that well in my opinion. The research was done with one mindset "uber is bad how can I prove that, and what inflammatory remarks can I add in there"

Uber > Taxis which were a true scam to the rider. I grew up on and off literally a block and a half away from the Chicago west side border, Taxis would routinely try to charge the suburban penalty for leaving city limits of $20-30 depending on the company. When I told one to just drive back to the border and let me out the guy started screaming at me. This wouldn't happen in Uber. Additionally, how many times have you gotten in cabs that reek of vomit or B.O. or god knows what else? Uber allows users to hold the drivers accountable in a way Taxis do not. Finally, while Uber fares are out of control right now, it's not debatable that they have been considerably more affordable than taxis for a long time. Especially the uber pool fares.

Yea.  I agree with the first.  Not that its all surprising given the headline of another video on that page is "Profit is Theft" from a well known Marxist.

As for the second, I was a Chicago resident as Uber rose to prominence and I can't even describe what a welcome change it was.  The number of scams and attempted grifts ("broken" card readers, covering the reader with a towel to pretend you dont see it, air conditioning that didn't work, turning down fares to places they didn't like, random upcharges, etc...) with traditional cabs was profound.  Uber and Rideshare may be an imperfect system, but they are a massive leap forward.  My worst Uber experiences have all been remedied quite quickly and largely pale in comparison to the worst of cabs.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 05:04:51 PM »
Uber vs Taxicabs = capitalism/entrepreneurship vs crony phony government controlled “capitalism”, especially in cities like Chicago. So awesome but imperfect vs corrupt and awful.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2021, 05:24:04 PM »

Not just more affordable but you know what you're going to pay upon getting in. If one gets into a traffic jam with a cab your fare is going to increase significantly. Not the case with an Uber or Lyft.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2021, 05:49:58 PM »
Yea.  I agree with the first.  Not that its all surprising given the headline of another video on that page is "Profit is Theft" from a well known Marxist.

As for the second, I was a Chicago resident as Uber rose to prominence and I can't even describe what a welcome change it was.  The number of scams and attempted grifts ("broken" card readers, covering the reader with a towel to pretend you dont see it, air conditioning that didn't work, turning down fares to places they didn't like, random upcharges, etc...) with traditional cabs was profound.  Uber and Rideshare may be an imperfect system, but they are a massive leap forward.  My worst Uber experiences have all been remedied quite quickly and largely pale in comparison to the worst of cabs.

Man you're so right. Forgot about half those scams they'd pull. So frustrating.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2021, 06:09:19 PM »
Man you're so right. Forgot about half those scams they'd pull. So frustrating.

Circa 2009-2010, my friend’s brother was notorious for never having cash for any reason.  So he’d use CC whenever he got a cab. On a weekend night, he’d take a cab from his place in Rogers Park to ours in Lincoln Park, not a short ride, and try to pay with CC.  2-3 different times, cabbies would get so indignant and mad that he wouldn’t pay with cash that they threw him out of the car without accepting any payment whatsoever.  It was beyond absurd and clearly indicative of shady business going on. 

My other favorite of the upcharges I mentioned was throwing on the extra passenger or airport or whatever charge as you arrived at your destination. Don’t give any indication what your true fare is, lest you try to cut the trip short or something.  Those same dudes would always be the one who would say “what, no tip?!” if you paid exact cash for their terrible ride and service

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2021, 06:36:39 PM »
Uber/Lyft are astronomically better options than cabs. This shouldn't even be a discussion.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2021, 09:17:59 PM »
Uber/Lyft are astronomically better options than cabs. This shouldn't even be a discussion.

This is a spot on comment .

I was delighted when the Uber Technology came into existence .

Taxis were a consistent menace no matter what city I was in .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2021, 12:26:50 AM »
One problem though is that AFAIK there is no requirement for rideshares regarding disabled passengers. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2021, 06:53:59 AM »

Of course it should be.  The restrictions placed on cabs make them unable to compete with Uber/Lyft.  The under regulation of Uber/Lyft make them less safe than traditional cabs.

Society would be better served if we looked for a service somewhere in the middle.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2021, 08:08:13 AM »

The reason it is a discussion is because Uber is not, and cannot, be profitable. They're trying the Amazon thing of operating at a loss long enough to margin out all of their competitors. But unlike Amazon which just slowly but surely stopped discounting books after bookstores died and mercilessly uses their share to compress margins out of third party sellers in order to drive profitability whenever they want, Uber can't do those things. Maybe they think they can string the operation along until they can develop self driving cars and be positioned to swap seamlessly into that business and out of being a cab company with no cars and no employees, but when their business fundamentally relies on underwriting every ride their customers take so they lose money the more business they do... yeah scam is on the table for discussion.

The fun thing is that you're absolutely right of course. Cabs are garbage that got stagnant and coasted on an artificially-protected marketplace for decades. Uber, the app, is light years better than what cabs offer.

Uber the business tho...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2021, 08:31:28 AM »
The reason it is a discussion is because Uber is not, and cannot, be profitable. They're trying the Amazon thing of operating at a loss long enough to margin out all of their competitors. But unlike Amazon which just slowly but surely stopped discounting books after bookstores died and mercilessly uses their share to compress margins out of third party sellers in order to drive profitability whenever they want, Uber can't do those things. Maybe they think they can string the operation along until they can develop self driving cars and be positioned to swap seamlessly into that business and out of being a cab company with no cars and no employees, but when their business fundamentally relies on underwriting every ride their customers take so they lose money the more business they do... yeah scam is on the table for discussion.

The fun thing is that you're absolutely right of course. Cabs are garbage that got stagnant and coasted on an artificially-protected marketplace for decades. Uber, the app, is light years better than what cabs offer.

Uber the business tho...

Uber is also betting heavily on autonomous vehicles. 

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2021, 09:10:16 AM »
Uber is the best thing to happen to the party scene since prohibition ending
Bring back FFP!!!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2021, 09:11:29 AM »
Agree with everyone who said cabs were the real scam. That was a market that needed to be disrupted. For whatever Uber's shortcomings, and there definitely are some, they are exponentially better than the solution they replaced. Progress is a good thing.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2021, 09:13:10 AM »
Circa 2009-2010, my friend’s brother was notorious for never having cash for any reason.  So he’d use CC whenever he got a cab. On a weekend night, he’d take a cab from his place in Rogers Park to ours in Lincoln Park, not a short ride, and try to pay with CC.  2-3 different times, cabbies would get so indignant and mad that he wouldn’t pay with cash that they threw him out of the car without accepting any payment whatsoever.  It was beyond absurd and clearly indicative of shady business going on. 

My other favorite of the upcharges I mentioned was throwing on the extra passenger or airport or whatever charge as you arrived at your destination. Don’t give any indication what your true fare is, lest you try to cut the trip short or something.  Those same dudes would always be the one who would say “what, no tip?!” if you paid exact cash for their terrible ride and service

I had Chicago cabbies, around the same time frame, demand I go into a Jewel on the way home to get cash from an ATM. They literally would not leave the Jewel parking lot until I went in and got cash (with the meter running). Even though there was a credit card terminal in their car. Whole situation was insane.

Also had cabbies take me on ridiculous routes, I guess assuming I was a tourist? At least with Uber I know the fare ahead of time and the route they will take.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 09:15:27 AM by Coleman »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2021, 09:42:52 AM »
Of course it should be.  The restrictions placed on cabs make them unable to compete with Uber/Lyft.  The under regulation of Uber/Lyft make them less safe than traditional cabs.

Society would be better served if we looked for a service somewhere in the middle.

That argument only works if the only reason people preferred Uber/Lyft was pricing.  The myriad stories here of systemic shady cab behavior, and the taxi industry's unwillingness to address it, gave as much fuel to Uber's rise as prices.  Even before UberX came out, I was using UberTaxi regularly cause it cut out so much of the BS in routes, payment, disputes, etc...  And it wasn't just an app, cause I had Hail or other taxi apps and never really used them.

Restrictions on taxis aren't the reason I was once dumped at Division and Elston on my way to ORD because my cabbie saw traffic on the highway and decided he didn't want to sit in it and he pulled over and demanded I get out and wouldn't move till I did.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2021, 10:16:21 AM »
That argument only works if the only reason people preferred Uber/Lyft was pricing.  The myriad stories here of systemic shady cab behavior, and the taxi industry's unwillingness to address it, gave as much fuel to Uber's rise as prices.  Even before UberX came out, I was using UberTaxi regularly cause it cut out so much of the BS in routes, payment, disputes, etc.

Over the last five years or so, my experiences with Ubers have been pretty universally pleasant...clean cars, polite drivers, prompt, and fairly and transparently priced. Over the years my experiences with taxis were typically the opposite in each of those respects. I really like the ability to know how much it will cost before I get in the car and not having to actually exchange cash with the driver.

I will admit that sometimes I'm a little bothered by my belief that their business model is based, at least in part, on many of their drivers not understanding how much it "really" costs to operate their cars. My oldest brother did it for a while (pre-tipping) and ultimately concluded that he was making very little money and it was not worth his time.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2021, 10:27:10 AM »
I guess that the question begs dfinition: Who is the one being scammed?

Imo:

Customers are NOT being scammed. The product is by and large good and an improvement over stale entrenched cab drivers.

Drivers are probably being exploited, but not scammed. But hey, ostensibly they're informed and choosing to do it so <shrug>.

Investors are almost certainly being scammed, but maybe Uber can keep the unicorn nonsense going long enough that either their investors find new bag holders or the company magic's their way into being a mobility company that is something other than a ride hailing app.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2021, 11:20:30 AM »
I will admit that sometimes I'm a little bothered by my belief that their business model is based, at least in part, on many of their drivers not understanding how much it "really" costs to operate their cars. My oldest brother did it for a while (pre-tipping) and ultimately concluded that he was making very little money and it was not worth his time.

I think its very geography dependent.  I think its a total grind in any city.  The myth that you can just jump in your car for a few hours and make some great extra cash seems to be flawed.  But my Uncle recently retired from a school district in Ft Myers.  He started driving Uber on the side for some extra cash/something to do.  Now does it close to full time.  He does very well, all things considered.  He's got the gas/insurance spec'd out, how much he would need each month with the expectation of swapping cars every few years due to wear and tear, etc...  But, he's doing very few 5 min rides.  He does mostly airport pickups that end up being 30 min drives down to Naples or the like.  He's had multiple weeks where had multiple days making over $300 and his take home for the week ended up being $1500+

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2021, 11:30:58 AM »

I think there are two things here.  First, I think drivers have a fairly good understanding of the cost of operating a car, but they would rather have the cash immediately and worry about things like depreciation later.  Essentially they are borrowing against that depreciation for short term cash, which might be entirely fine.

As for the cost of their time, my guess is that many people do this when they would otherwise just be sitting around doing nothing.  And they can do it whenever they want, versus a normal side hustle where someone else sets your schedule.

Or maybe in both cases I am just giving people the benefit of the doubt.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2021, 11:42:22 AM »
That argument only works if the only reason people preferred Uber/Lyft was pricing.  The myriad stories here of systemic shady cab behavior, and the taxi industry's unwillingness to address it, gave as much fuel to Uber's rise as prices.  Even before UberX came out, I was using UberTaxi regularly cause it cut out so much of the BS in routes, payment, disputes, etc...  And it wasn't just an app, cause I had Hail or other taxi apps and never really used them.

Restrictions on taxis aren't the reason I was once dumped at Division and Elston on my way to ORD because my cabbie saw traffic on the highway and decided he didn't want to sit in it and he pulled over and demanded I get out and wouldn't move till I did.

My point was that for a long time there have been a lot of regulations around taxi/cabs.  Uber basically flipped the bird to the system.  I don't disagree that there are a lot of bad cab experiences, but maybe the solution should be to put Uber and traditional taxis on a level playing field... it's what should have happened from the start. 

Also, I've had a similar experience in NYC with a trip from Times Square out to LGA.  Upon arrival at LGA I told the cab driver I'd like to use my card... to which he said it was broken (this is illegal btw).  Bad news for him was that I only had enough cash in my wallet to cover the fare.  No tip.  He wasn't happy, but I'm not a sucker.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2021, 11:48:34 AM »
I don't disagree that there are a lot of bad cab experiences, but maybe the solution should be to put Uber and traditional taxis on a level playing field... it's what should have happened from the start. 

Nah. Pretty much everyone in here except you agrees that things are better now.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2021, 11:50:53 AM »
I'm not sure how the "more regulation" argument for cabs can be taken seriously. Cab drivers routinely ripped off and scammed their customers, and there was very little recourse. And the entire cab system, at least in big cities, was propped up by a medallion system that had artificial scarcity. Drivers were banking on the fact that they'd be able to cash out their medallions for tens of thousands, perhaps even hundreds of thousands of dollars at some point. The entire system was based on speculation that was entirely invented by government. It was dumb and an inefficient use of the market.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2021, 11:56:02 AM »
I'm not sure how the "more regulation" argument for cabs can be taken seriously. Cab drivers routinely ripped off and scammed their customers, and there was very little recourse. And the entire cab system, at least in big cities, was propped up by a medallion system that had artificial scarcity. Drivers were banking on the fact that they'd be able to cash out their medallions for tens of thousands, perhaps even hundreds of thousands of dollars at some point. The entire system was based on speculation that was entirely invented by government. It was dumb and an inefficient use of the market.

Ah, so you agree with me.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2021, 11:57:11 AM »
Ah, so you agree with me.

Your point was that regulation had no tangible benefits?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2021, 12:12:18 PM »
Your point was that regulation had no tangible benefits?

My point is that when Uber was allowed to just ignore the rules, the cabs should have been allowed to do the same.  Deregulate the cabs so they can compete, or enforce the existing laws on Uber.

Level the playing field one way or another.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2021, 09:34:02 AM »
Actually I agree with you Hards.
No one has yet addressed my concern over Uber/Lyft and the ADA, the last I had read on that, the rideshare companies were claiming that they were technology not transportation so had no obligation to comply.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2021, 05:05:24 PM »
Actually I agree with you Hards.
No one has yet addressed my concern over Uber/Lyft and the ADA, the last I had read on that, the rideshare companies were claiming that they were technology not transportation so had no obligation to comply.

Was there ever anyone addressing the ADA with Taxis? I feel like I've never been in a wheelchair compliant taxi before.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2021, 05:37:37 PM »
Was there ever anyone addressing the ADA with Taxis? I feel like I've never been in a wheelchair compliant taxi before.

I assure you, as someone with direct knowledge, they exist, and are in much higher demand than you'd think.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2021, 08:38:14 PM »

I think there are two things here.  First, I think drivers have a fairly good understanding of the cost of operating a car, but they would rather have the cash immediately and worry about things like depreciation later.  Essentially they are borrowing against that depreciation for short term cash, which might be entirely fine.

As for the cost of their time, my guess is that many people do this when they would otherwise just be sitting around doing nothing.  And they can do it whenever they want, versus a normal side hustle where someone else sets your schedule.

Or maybe in both cases I am just giving people the benefit of the doubt.

I am amazed by the number of times I have been picked up in a newer Mercedes or a Lexus or some other $40K+ vehicle for a regular Uber ride.  I have to believe that some people think, "I am going to buy this expensive car and cover the monthly payment by giving Uber rides".
Have some patience, FFS.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2021, 09:09:18 PM »
I am amazed by the number of times I have been picked up in a newer Mercedes or a Lexus or some other $40K+ vehicle for a regular Uber ride.  I have to believe that some people think, "I am going to buy this expensive car and cover the monthly payment by giving Uber rides".

I have had several Uber drivers tell me exactly this while I sit in the back of a new X5 or once, a Land Rover.

On if Uber is a scam...
Y’all try to get an Uber lately? Driver shortage is insane.

No cars available at 8am in Nashville a couple weeks ago, the app did offer a $150 UberXL which could arrive in 26 minutes for my 5 mile trip.

It also used to be really easy & convenient to Uber between bars on weekend evenings out in the suburbs - just pulled up the app, the closest one is 16 minutes out.

Trying to run Uber like a business leads to reduced driver signup bonuses and reduced driver income, and worse driver experience reduces cars on the road, which reduces people looking for Ubers... first couple turns in the death spiral?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2021, 09:42:31 PM »
I have had several Uber drivers tell me exactly this while I sit in the back of a new X5 or once, a Land Rover.

On if Uber is a scam...
Y’all try to get an Uber lately? Driver shortage is insane.

No cars available at 8am in Nashville a couple weeks ago, the app did offer a $150 UberXL which could arrive in 26 minutes for my 5 mile trip.

It also used to be really easy & convenient to Uber between bars on weekend evenings out in the suburbs - just pulled up the app, the closest one is 16 minutes out.

Trying to run Uber like a business leads to reduced driver signup bonuses and reduced driver income, and worse driver experience reduces cars on the road, which reduces people looking for Ubers... first couple turns in the death spiral?

Now do the same for healthcare...because the same is happening.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2021, 11:37:48 PM »

There is also novelty and boredom.  It’s tapered a bit but driving Uber was “cool” in some foreign places like HK and spots in Europe.  A buddy of mine who worked for Uber mentioned as much as it applied to their marketing there.  In HK in particular, I’ve been picked up in a G Wagon, a Range Rover, multiple TSLA Model S, and a bunch of Mercedes...all for standard UberX rides.  They were usually rich trust fund kids who had nothing better to do and thought it was cool/fun

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2021, 11:25:38 AM »
ADA isn’t just wheelchairs. It also involves things like people with seeing eye dogs, and other assistance. Taxis have regulations to follow.  Ubers have been known to simply pass up people and no longer be available.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2021, 09:28:11 AM »
Had an interesting experience today. Made my”reservation” the night before and when I got up this morning there were no cars available. First time that ever happened to me.

Luckily we had time to drive to the airport.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2021, 10:57:23 AM »
Had an interesting experience today. Made my”reservation” the night before and when I got up this morning there were no cars available. First time that ever happened to me.

We had big issues getting Ubers in San Francisco. Half hour waits at times.

I was lucky that I did get someone when scheduling in advance for the airport.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2021, 04:36:31 PM »
We had big issues getting Ubers in San Francisco. Half hour waits at times.

I was lucky that I did get someone when scheduling in advance for the airport.

The ride share companies are also in the same bind as rental car companies where they sold off their pools of cars at the start of the pandemic. Now that they want to lease more to replenish their pool supply, the car manufacturers cannot make them. So it's not just a lack of drivers on the supply side or the opening of restrictions on the demand. Expect this to continue for quite some time as the core drivers now are primarily those who own their own cars.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2021, 04:45:09 PM »

Some coach friends flew to NC to recruit last weekend. When they arrived at the airport was a 4 hour wait at the rental car desk and the car they reserved wasn't there. No other companies had cars. They ended up renting a U-Haul pick-up for the weekend.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2021, 09:20:45 PM »
Uber gave me a $20 credit for the inconvenience they put me through. Thought that was a decent goodwill gesture.
                       ---Al McGuire

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2021, 01:01:00 AM »
When I first started traveling to Moscow (Russia, not Idaho) in 2012 there were no formal taxis and no Uber.  No booking service for non-Russian speakers at all.  My assistant would book and it would be 3000 RUB (back when exchange was 30rub/$1) for the first 20 minutes in a smelly old junker with a driver who was usually more drunk than me. 

In comes Uber.  App works in English.  The same ride is now 300 rub or you can get a Merc or Bimmer for 1000 rub.  The cars are new and clean.  The drivers cannot claim not to know where you are going, payment is automated and the chances for complaints are minimal. 

Suddently Moscow has Uber, Yandex Taxi, GETT and a few others.  Then in 2017, Yandex bought Uber Russia and the service continue to improve.  In 2018, Yandex Taxi was profitable.  The drivers get paid a living wage, the cars are all leased and the standards on the vehicles are upheld.  It's safe to say that Uber revolutionized the taxi industry in Russia.  A short ride is still under 100 rubles. ($1.30) An airport run from central Moscow in a Merc is 3000RUB ($40).  The last time I was in a smelly taxi was in New York city...

Whenever I've had a problem the customer service has been excellent and the refunds prompt.  I had a driver fall asleep at the wheel once (I noticed and awoke him before we crashed) and even in that situation they had honest and clear feedback.  "Thanks for letting us know you had a problem.  That driver has been terminated!"

I am ever thankful for their existence. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2021, 11:16:29 AM »
Uber gave me a $20 credit for the inconvenience they put me through. Thought that was a decent goodwill gesture.

Ive had my issues with Uber, but one thing I'll say is their customer service in terms of refunds and credits has always been pretty top notch.  I struggle to remember a time where a bad experience, much less an incorrect route or fare, wasn't immediately remedied financially in some way.

When I first started traveling to Moscow (Russia, not Idaho) in 2012 there were no formal taxis and no Uber.  No booking service for non-Russian speakers at all.  My assistant would book and it would be 3000 RUB (back when exchange was 30rub/$1) for the first 20 minutes in a smelly old junker with a driver who was usually more drunk than me. 

In comes Uber.  App works in English.  The same ride is now 300 rub or you can get a Merc or Bimmer for 1000 rub.  The cars are new and clean.  The drivers cannot claim not to know where you are going, payment is automated and the chances for complaints are minimal. 

Suddently Moscow has Uber, Yandex Taxi, GETT and a few others.  Then in 2017, Yandex bought Uber Russia and the service continue to improve.  In 2018, Yandex Taxi was profitable.  The drivers get paid a living wage, the cars are all leased and the standards on the vehicles are upheld.  It's safe to say that Uber revolutionized the taxi industry in Russia.  A short ride is still under 100 rubles. ($1.30) An airport run from central Moscow in a Merc is 3000RUB ($40).  The last time I was in a smelly taxi was in New York city...

Whenever I've had a problem the customer service has been excellent and the refunds prompt.  I had a driver fall asleep at the wheel once (I noticed and awoke him before we crashed) and even in that situation they had honest and clear feedback.  "Thanks for letting us know you had a problem.  That driver has been terminated!"

I am ever thankful for their existence. 

Same with my experience in India.  I started traveling there around 2013-2014.  Uber was years away.  They had Ola, which has greatly expanded, but it was in its early days and still very much a cash based endeavor.  You'd book on the app, but drivers still expected to be paid in cash.  There was also wildly varying quality in both cars and drivers, from the distracted and scheming, to the flatout reckless and unsafe.  I became comfortable enough, and had assistance from my Indian reps to the extent that I made do, but the first trip there with Uber was life changing.  My often long rides across Mumbai became much more consistent, faster, and comfortable cause it wasn't an argument to have air conditioning on a 95% day with 90% humidity.  And while I know Uber has plenty of financial issues for drivers, almost every driver I speak to in India says they would much rather drive Uber fares than Ola or the like.