[Today at 02:05:43 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Best buzzer beater in MU history  (Read 13225 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Best buzzer beater in MU history
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2021, 01:12:58 PM »
But over time, they fade.

Sure that's not because you're getting up there in years eh Brother Dgies?  ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2021, 01:28:34 PM »
Age isn't his issue.  He's a Cardinal fan.  That's baaaaaaad enough.   ;D ;D ;D

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2021, 02:11:25 PM »
Facts
Goal is National Championship

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2021, 04:28:01 PM »

Turkeys.   :D 8-)

Keep in mind, it's the FIRST PLACE St. Louis Cardinals.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2021, 07:31:07 AM »
Fixed it for you.

Unless you're an older alum who was there when these shots were made, they've faded. These are not the shots of legends made, except for maybe Blue.

Perhaps the reason many haven't completely faded is that our performance over the past seven years has been so joyless.

Silliness.

Fans who were born after 1970 likely never saw Whitehead's shot, except in grainy videos. To them, they know about it and they know its importance in Marquette history, but, as Billy said, it "doesn't resonate."

To those whose Marquette stint/fandom began in 1990 or later -- which will be a bigger and bigger percentage of fans as the years go on -- shots like Vander's and Junior's and Sam's will always "mean" more than Whitehead's because all they know about Whitehead's is what they've read. Whereas they got to experience more recent ones firsthand.

For a pretty big percentage of Marquette fans -- fans who are every bit as big fans as you and me -- there is little to no memory of Whitehead's shot to fade.

Until another Marquette player makes a shot that leads directly to us winning another national title, Whitehead's will forever be the "biggest" shot in school history. But it can't be the "best memory" for a large contingent of Marquette fans because they simply never saw it.

You will get to go to your grave -- hopefully a long, long, long time from now -- having witnessed the biggest Marquette shot ever. You and others of your generation are fortunate. But stating that all others are meaningless ... that's just dopey. And you know it. You've done a nice job getting folks riled up, though.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2021, 12:11:20 PM »
Vander Blue against St Johns for the Big East title

Jimmy Butler against UConn turn around jumper.

Jimmy Butler vs St Johns doing the exact same turn around jumper.

The Jimmy ones are burned into my mind. Nearly the same spot in two games was wild, and just a few days apart. Such tough shots.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AD5p_kg5oAo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AD5p_kg5oAo</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PDBbyen3Cqs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PDBbyen3Cqs</a>

MU82

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2021, 01:06:17 PM »
The Jimmy ones are burned into my mind. Nearly the same spot in two games was wild, and just a few days apart. Such tough shots.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AD5p_kg5oAo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AD5p_kg5oAo</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PDBbyen3Cqs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PDBbyen3Cqs</a>

Good call. Jimmy was so clutch that season.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2021, 01:10:49 PM »
I was at both games.  What is funny about the UConn game is that Calhoun was not coaching. So on the final UConn possession, someone said "no" and Kemba heard "go," giving us far more time on the clock for the final posession shouldn't have had.

On the DJO free throws, the UConn fans around us were mad, and my buddy and I turned around and said "don't worry, we can't hit clutch free throws this season..." and DJO hits all three.

Oh, and the Civic Center served Long Trail Pale Ale.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2021, 03:04:01 PM »
I was at both games.  What is funny about the UConn game is that Calhoun was not coaching. So on the final UConn possession, someone said "no" and Kemba heard "go," giving us far more time on the clock for the final posession shouldn't have had.

On the DJO free throws, the UConn fans around us were mad, and my buddy and I turned around and said "don't worry, we can't hit clutch free throws this season..." and DJO hits all three.

Oh, and the Civic Center served Long Trail Pale Ale.

During those games, my older daughter liked to yell "Miss it!" from the nose bleeds in a very quiet Civic Center while UConn shot free throws.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2021, 04:32:18 PM »
Wasn't a true buzzer beater, but Vander's layup to cap the comeback against Davidson in the 1st round of the Elite 8 season is a favorite of mine.
Jerome’s was the best. But Vander’s Lay up against Davidson was also one of my favorites since I yelled “Go” from behind the Marquette bench at top of my lungs in a quiet Rupp Arena when Vander caught the inbound. Happy Vander made it.
Also “Lewis” beating Wisconsin with tip in at Buzzer and “Lucas” beating Wisconsin with a 20 Footer at the buzzer.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2021, 04:49:29 PM »
1 - Jerome
2 - Junior
3 - J Lew
4 - Doc
5 - Novak
6 - Dameon

Was there  in person for each, except obviously for JLew.

Again Jerome’s was my favorite. But was Courtside for Junior’s, Steve’s and Dameon’s. Also mentioning to the officials Louisville was going to foul Marquette right before Dameon’s 4 point play.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2021, 05:35:02 PM »
Silliness.

Fans who were born after 1970 likely never saw Whitehead's shot, except in grainy videos. To them, they know about it and they know its importance in Marquette history, but, as Billy said, it "doesn't resonate."

To those whose Marquette stint/fandom began in 1990 or later -- which will be a bigger and bigger percentage of fans as the years go on -- shots like Vander's and Junior's and Sam's will always "mean" more than Whitehead's because all they know about Whitehead's is what they've read. Whereas they got to experience more recent ones firsthand.

For a pretty big percentage of Marquette fans -- fans who are every bit as big fans as you and me -- there is little to no memory of Whitehead's shot to fade.

Until another Marquette player makes a shot that leads directly to us winning another national title, Whitehead's will forever be the "biggest" shot in school history. But it can't be the "best memory" for a large contingent of Marquette fans because they simply never saw it.

You will get to go to your grave -- hopefully a long, long, long time from now -- having witnessed the biggest Marquette shot ever. You and others of your generation are fortunate. But stating that all others are meaningless ... that's just dopey. And you know it. You've done a nice job getting folks riled up, though.

Babe Ruth’s called home run never happened.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2021, 09:53:50 PM »
Babe Ruth’s called home run never happened.

Take it back!

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2021, 07:44:39 AM »
Novak versus Notre Dame has to be up there....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcZz-er3pEE

I love the guy doing back flips right towards the ND players coming off the court.

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2021, 07:35:09 PM »
Jerel McNeal at  South Florida

There are many more that are better, but this is the only one that I attended.

Side note: If I wasn't nursing a wicked hangover, I think I would have enjoyed it even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4kRaPtKUmc