[March 18, 2024, 11:12:52 PM]

A Basketball Renaissance 50 Years In The Making by DavidBoone2inchesTaller
[March 18, 2024, 10:25:35 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by JWags85
[March 18, 2024, 10:01:37 PM]

NIL legal update by GoldenEagles03
[March 18, 2024, 09:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Where are with with Morsell?  (Read 50444 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Where are with with Morsell?
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2021, 02:02:14 PM »
How would Henry have done if Ben Simmons, Diamond Stone, Malik Newman, Jalen Brown, Brandon Ingram etc all stayed in school for 4 years?

Probably better than Diamond Stone given he was already a bit disappointing in college iirc
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2021, 02:03:57 PM »
Steve Nash and the Phoenix Suns have joined the chat.

NBA is next best comp? Seems like you're going backwards. At least play to the audience and go with "Dwyane Wade and 2003 Marquette have entered the chat."

The reality is teams with great offenses and bad defenses usually don't do much in March. Sure, you'll find exceptions, but 2021 Iowa, 2018 Xavier, 2017 UCLA, 2016 Iowa State, 2014 Duke, or 2012 Missouri are far more the norm for teams with top-10 offenses and sub-50 defenses.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2021, 03:50:18 PM »
Rampant Speculation:

Is Perez going into the portal perhaps a good omen regarding Morsell?  Garcia entered pretty late.  Was he sticking around in the hope that he was going to make the cut, and did he just get told it wasn't looking good?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 04:01:55 PM by 4everDawson »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2021, 03:53:52 PM »
Rampant Speculation:

Is Garcia going into the portal perhaps a good omen regarding Morsell?  Garcia entered pretty late.  Was he sticking around in the hope that he was going to make the cut, and did he just get told it wasn't looking good?

Is Garcia going in the portal?!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2021, 04:01:30 PM »
Is Garcia going in the portal?!

Doh!  Perez!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 04:23:28 PM by 4everDawson »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2021, 09:55:13 PM »
Last year's freshmen had to be less ready with no summer practices, weight room sessions and not getting on campus until late September. And for teams like us who had a two week Covid pause once practice started those kids missed a ton of development time. I think that's why freshmen reliant teams such as Duke and Kentucky struggled so bad even with the talent they had,
It seems to me you are proving my point that covid will also have an effect on this year's class.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2021, 11:43:10 PM »
It seems to me you are proving my point that covid will also have an effect on this year's class.

Feels more like you’re missing the point.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2021, 01:13:06 PM »
Feels more like you’re missing the point.
Not really. The point is this class would be more ready for college ball, if their AAU season and high school seasons were not interrupted by covid. They lost significant opportunities to improve their game last summer and this season. So it is reasonable to assume that they are not were they would be at, if covid did not happen.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2021, 02:40:36 PM »
Not really. The point is this class would be more ready for college ball, if their AAU season and high school seasons were not interrupted by covid. They lost significant opportunities to improve their game last summer and this season. So it is reasonable to assume that they are not were they would be at, if covid did not happen.

We’re not talking about where they would be at if Covid didn’t happen. We’re comparing the differences in the development opportunities between last season’s freshman class to the upcoming season’s freshman class.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2021, 05:44:14 PM »
We’re not talking about where they would be at if Covid didn’t happen. We’re comparing the differences in the development opportunities between last season’s freshman class to the upcoming season’s freshman class.
This is what someone turned my post into, so you are trying to change what I said.

Last year's freshmen class played a full high school season and played AAU ball the summer before their senior season. Therefore, they came to campus as ready as any freshmen class. However they were effected by covid as every college player was last year was after they arrived on campus. This is not the same as being effected by covid before they got to campus. This year's freshmen class did not play AAU ball before their senior season, They also in many cases played shorter senior seasons and had less practices. I believe this has hinder their development. I do not know how long this will have an effect on them. I suspect some players will overcome this more quickly than others. This year's freshmen class will also have to compete against players returning for an extra season, which is another competition issue for them. I started the topic, so I can stay on the topic. Change it if you want, but we are not talking about the same thing.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2021, 09:25:29 AM »
I think a lot of players would better themselves if they played less AAU ball and did more individual and small group skill sessions and worked on fundamentals.  I know they need AAU ball for exposure and to play against better players, especially if they are not in a big city league for school. 

One frustrating thing I see happening again and again, are players coming into MU with terrible form on their jumpers. Inconsistent form.  The attitude of people over the years has seemed to be "well if it is working don't change it".  But rarely does it work at the college level. 

Then after a year (or two) of it not working, they start to overhaul it or slowly adjust the form.  It amazes me that these players get to the college level without basic skill development. When I see bad form in high school but hitting the low to mid 30% 3 point shooting in high school, or the inability to use an off hand except in a cross over, or for two dribbles or the inability to step into a bounce pass or a basic chest pass, I basically see a project in college and someone who is very likely going to struggle for a few years until the basic fundamentals  get improved. Maybe that is just my bias.

Now, I don't think most need to have skill development like some old school coaches have done, successfully at UW.  But some more basic development, and less team ball, would benefit a lot of these guys prior to college. If shooting form is terrible, take a summer to work on it instead of just going on and on...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 09:29:04 AM by GOO »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2021, 09:40:29 AM »
I think a lot of players would better themselves if they played less AAU ball and did more individual and small group skill sessions and worked on fundamentals.  I know they need AAU ball for exposure and to play against better players, especially if they are not in a big city league for school. 

One frustrating thing I see happening again and again, are players coming into MU with terrible form on their jumpers. Inconsistent form.  The attitude of people over the years has seemed to be "well if it is working don't change it".  But rarely does it work at the college level. 

Then after a year (or two) of it not working, they start to overhaul it or slowly adjust the form.  It amazes me that these players get to the college level without basic skill development. When I see bad form in high school but hitting the low to mid 30% 3 point shooting in high school, or the inability to use an off hand except in a cross over, or for two dribbles or the inability to step into a bounce pass or a basic chest pass, I basically see a project in college and someone who is very likely going to struggle for a few years until the basic fundamentals  get improved. Maybe that is just my bias.

I have gotten involved in watching my grandson start playing ball.  I am very impressed with the Chapmen Academy as they stress fundamentals religiously.  He is
only in second grade, last year he did not even know how to use his left hand on lay-ups, today he can do it.  Not sure how it was done prior, maybe they just played
games, but if you want to learn the game fundamentals are key.  MU has had 2 kids who were clueless on form, no jumper, were Torrence and Carton.  Neither had a
jump shot.  Carton not having a J is hard to believe, as he is so athletic.  He will need to figure that out if he wants to play in the show.  2 way contract is something Carton might get next year, work on his game in the G league.  Not even sure what the MU coaches saw in Torrence.  Probably dominated his league in high school.

Now, I don't think most need to have skill development like some old school coaches have done, successfully at UW.  But some more basic development, and less team ball, would benefit a lot of these guys prior to college. If shooting form is terrible, take a summer to work on it instead of just going on and on...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2021, 11:06:32 AM »
I don't think there was anything wrong with Cartons shooting form. I think he overthought open jump shots
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2021, 11:13:20 AM »
I don't think there was anything wrong with Cartons shooting form. I think he overthought open jump shots

He had a floater and set shot on his 3, very little lift.  He does not have a 15 foot jump shot, no fadeaway.  Needs to add that in the next level.  DWade did not have
a great shot at MU, but worked hard at it and became a real good shooter.  He has time, when he is only working on hoops.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2021, 11:48:41 AM »
Don’t know if high school is always best either. I remember watching SP stick Jalen Johnson in the post with his back to the basket sophomore year. Looked to me like he should be a point forward like LeBron with his ability to pass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2021, 05:35:44 PM »
My point on the Zags is they reload and are always a threat as is Nova.  This is absolutely where I expected us to be from 2013 forward.  It's frankly been 8 years of tremendous anxiety and disappointment for the great MU fans.  We were set back and should have pulled the trigger sooner.  That said I am quite confident we will be back in the mix with Shaka in due time. 

Acquiring talent isn't the only component of success but it certainly helps. You need guys that can flat-out ball.  Period.  I'm talking quicks, explosiveness, combined with dead-eye shooters.  You must understand how to construct a roster which our coaches in the past clearly struggled with.  All I'm saying is it's time to get back on track.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2021, 11:45:10 AM »
https://twitter.com/draftexpress/status/1394798870652141569?s=21

Is this saying Morsell did not declare for the NBA Draft?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2021, 11:52:23 AM »

Yes. It also says he has until May 30 to do so

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2021, 11:52:42 AM »

Yes I guess that's what it says....
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2021, 01:51:57 PM »
Declaring for the draft has always been MU's toughest competition for Morsell. I think him not declaring so far is a positive development.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2021, 02:27:09 PM »
I guess I was under the impression that when he announced he was entering the transfer portal he had also entered into the NBA Draft, just without hiring an agent.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2021, 06:56:09 PM »
I guess I was under the impression that when he announced he was entering the transfer portal he had also entered into the NBA Draft, just without hiring an agent.

Yeah, it seems that was his original intention:
https://twitter.com/410D_/status/1379177426392121347

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2021, 10:55:00 AM »
behind paywall, Maryland Mod said yesterday his gut feeling is Morsell isn't back at Maryland. likely NBA or transfer.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2021, 11:21:04 AM »
behind paywall, Maryland Mod said yesterday his gut feeling is Morsell isn't back at Maryland. likely NBA or transfer.

Yup
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2021, 01:32:31 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/maryland/LongFormArticle/Maryland-Basketball-Turgeon-breaks-down-Aaron-Wiggins-Eric-Ayala-Darryl-Morsells-NBA-or-stay-situations-165589063/Amp/

"Yeah, I think we're just going through the process. Obviously, we feel good about our team next year. Darryl's, you know, put his name in the draft, he's in the portal, he's doing a lot of things. He's gonna do what's best for him. I haven't talked to Daryl for probably two weeks or so, missed him on the phone the last couple days. His shoulder's getting better," Turgeon said of Morsell, the Big Ten defensive player of the year last season, who underwent shoulder surgery this spring.