[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette Football Update  (Read 13188 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Marquette Football Update
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2021, 01:35:44 PM »
I'd rather add baseball/softball than bring back football.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2021, 01:39:26 PM »
I'd rather add baseball/softball than bring back football.

Hockey would be the best fit, IMO
Bring back FFP!!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2021, 01:40:41 PM »

Nah.    Two winter sports with very few spring and fall sports?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2021, 01:47:39 PM »

I'd love for MU to have hockey. But outside of Providence is there another Big East school with hockey? And how many comparable institutions have hockey? BC, ND but they can subsidize it with football money.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2021, 02:19:43 PM »
I'd love for MU to have hockey. But outside of Providence is there another Big East school with hockey? And how many comparable institutions have hockey? BC, ND but they can subsidize it with football money.

UConn
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2021, 02:20:33 PM »
UConn

Oh right. Haven't quite gotten to remembering that they're back in the Big East yet.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2021, 02:21:40 PM »
It's more likely that BC hockey subsidizes football than vice versa.

I am kidding but hockey is extremely popular there.

And Marquette doesn't need any additional sports at this time.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

romey

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2021, 02:38:05 PM »
We have Esports

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2021, 09:40:35 PM »

Not even that, but they’ve had it forever.  ND’s program has been around since the early 70s, far longer.  They were established, funded programs far before the finances of college sports became hyper focused.  Same with Providence and they play in hockey’s premier conference.

Both of the major college programs to start recently, Penn St and ASU, were totally funded by boosters, despite being at huge well funded athletic departments.  Penn St hockey was fully funded in the 9 figures by Terry Pegula who owns the Bills and Sabres, and ASU hockey raised $35MM from boosters and ASU club hockey alums. 

It was awesome how Marquette put Lax together, but forming a hockey team would be a far more difficult and costly endeavor that would directly compete with their most important and well funded sport

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2021, 10:05:44 PM »
Not even that, but they’ve had it forever.  ND’s program has been around since the early 70s, far longer.  They were established, funded programs far before the finances of college sports became hyper focused.  Same with Providence and they play in hockey’s premier conference.

Both of the major college programs to start recently, Penn St and ASU, were totally funded by boosters, despite being at huge well funded athletic departments.  Penn St hockey was fully funded in the 9 figures by Terry Pegula who owns the Bills and Sabres, and ASU hockey raised $35MM from boosters and ASU club hockey alums. 

It was awesome how Marquette put Lax together, but forming a hockey team would be a far more difficult and costly endeavor that would directly compete with their most important and well funded sport

I'm not extremely convinced that they'd have negative impacts on each other unless the hockey team had some major success. I get the fiscal argument for entertainment dollars but if the majority of money comes from media rights anyways and not tickets then we'd just need to get a solid network deal (which idk if that's a thing for hockey)
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2021, 04:20:46 AM »

ND dropped their hockey program for about 15 years from the mid 80s to about 2000. (Off the top of my head.) 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2021, 08:39:19 AM »
ND dropped their hockey program for about 15 years from the mid 80s to about 2000. (Off the top of my head.)

Yeah they played in the Badger Hockey Showdown at the BC and got waxed.  They were either a club team or just re-starting their D1 team. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2021, 08:40:13 AM »

Not that long.  Only 1 year as club in like 1983 and then a few years in the ACHA which was sort of a hybrid D1/D2 conference back then. By the late 80s they were D1 independent again and in 1990 or so they joined the CCHA which was where the Michigan, MSU, and OSU resided before the B10 hockey conference

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2021, 08:58:48 AM »
Gotcha.  I remember watching them usually get clocked by Wisconsin in the old WCHA days in the late 70s.  They weren't very good back then.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2021, 05:30:38 PM »
Gotcha.  I remember watching them usually get clocked by Wisconsin in the old WCHA days in the late 70s.  They weren't very good back then.

I think that they were only playing Wisconsin then to shore up their academic reputation by playing the "Harvard of the Midwest"
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2021, 06:25:57 PM »
And Marquette doesn't need any additional sports at this time.

Number of sports teams per each Big East school's web site. Track and field includes both an indoor (winter) team and an outdoor (spring) team. This does not count split teams by sport. Georgetown, for instance, counts women's and coed sailing as two distinct "teams" but merely lists it under one title, same with HW and LW rowing. GU counts 30 "teams" but only lists 26.

Georgetown 26
Villanova 24
Connecticut 24
Butler 20
Providence 18
Xavier 18
St. John's 17
DePaul 15
Creighton 14
Marquette 14
Seton Hall 14

« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 06:27:40 PM by DFW HOYA »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2021, 06:39:29 PM »
Number of sports teams per each Big East school's web site. Track and field includes both an indoor (winter) team and an outdoor (spring) team. This does not count split teams by sport. Georgetown, for instance, counts women's and coed sailing as two distinct "teams" but merely lists it under one title, same with HW and LW rowing. GU counts 30 "teams" but only lists 26.

Georgetown 26
Villanova 24
Connecticut 24
Butler 20
Providence 18
Xavier 18
St. John's 17
DePaul 15
Creighton 14
Marquette 14
Seton Hall 14

Still doesn't mean Marquette needs more sports. 
Have some patience, FFS.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2021, 06:55:21 PM »
i feel like theres some clowns on this site that are sub conciously anti football simply cuz marquette doesnt have it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2021, 07:07:58 PM »
I can honestly say the lack of football was a consideration in my decision to attend MU.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2021, 07:11:17 PM »
i feel like theres some clowns on this site that are sub conciously anti football simply cuz marquette doesnt have it.

I love college football. I have called it the quintessential American sport. Saturday night SEC game?  Awesome.

That being said, Marquette shouldn’t sponsor it. It would be a complete resource drain with little upside. 

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2021, 07:26:01 PM »
I can honestly say the lack of football was a consideration in my decision to attend MU.
🙉🤨 what did da football ever do to ya tho

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2021, 09:07:07 PM »
College football is stupid.

Pro football is awesome
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2021, 09:17:13 PM »
Still doesn't mean Marquette needs more sports.

Women's golf.  Yeahhh!
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2021, 09:52:11 PM »
I love college football. I have called it the quintessential American sport. Saturday night SEC game?  Awesome.

That being said, Marquette shouldn’t sponsor it. It would be a complete resource drain with little upside.

Maybe if they did FCS football and played in the Spring....that'd fill a niche

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2021, 09:52:30 PM »
College football is stupid.

Pro football is awesome
I am Pro College Football.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire