[March 18, 2024, 11:12:52 PM]

A Basketball Renaissance 50 Years In The Making by DavidBoone2inchesTaller
[March 18, 2024, 10:25:35 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by JWags85
[March 18, 2024, 10:01:37 PM]

NIL legal update by GoldenEagles03
[March 18, 2024, 09:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Big East 2021-2022 Season Thread  (Read 55183 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Big East 2021-2022 Season Thread
« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2021, 07:29:54 PM »
Shaka is a better coach than Wojo.  Results may be similar
Wojo had only one first round draft choice and no 2nd round draft choices. Shaka had more and did no better.
I understand the Wojo hate, but I do not see where Shaka is a better coach. He is more defensive minded while Wojo was more offensive minded.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #151 on: September 13, 2021, 07:34:01 PM »
Wojo had only one first round draft choice and no 2nd round draft choices. Shaka had more and did no better.
I understand the Wojo hate, but I do not see where Shaka is a better coach. He is more defensive minded while Wojo was more offensive minded.

Well, Shaka does have a Final Four under his belt. That’s a pretty big difference between him and Wojo.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2021, 07:38:43 PM »
Well, Shaka does have a Final Four under his belt. That’s a pretty big difference between him and Wojo.

This will get misinterpreted and that’s fine because nuance is lost so often but that Final Four was a fluky run.  He did a great job at VCU.  It’s not easy to consistently make the tournament there.  That was more impressive than the Final 4 to me big picture-wise.  But his time at Texas gives me pause.  There’s more than a few coaches who have made one final 4 and never sniffed another.  If he’s more VCU at Marquette than Texas, then it’s a good chance he’ll have consistent success.  If it’s his time at Texas, eh.  For me, I really feel like we’ll know a lot by spring of 2022, we really will
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2021, 08:08:11 PM »
I saw scheduled for UConn, Seton Hall & PC above.  Checking websites, It looks like only Villanova has yet to post something for 2021-22:

Butler:
https://butlersports.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2021-22

Creighton:
https://gocreighton.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2021-22

St. Johns:
https://redstormsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2021-22

Xavier:
https://goxavier.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2021-22

DePaul:
https://depaulbluedemons.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2021-22

Georgetown:
https://guhoyas.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2021-22

Marquette:
https://gomarquette.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2021-22

Villanova: 
Still showing the 2020-21 schedule.

Villanova
Nov. 9 vs. Mount St. Mary’s
Nov. 12 at UCLA
Nov. 16 Howard

Hall of Fame Tip-Off in Uncasville, CT.
Nov. 20 vs. Tennessee
Nov. 21 vs. North Carolina or Purdue

Nov. 28 at La Salle (The Palestra)
Dec. 1 at Pennsylvania
Dec. 4 vs. St. Joseph’s

Jimmy V Classic in New York, NY
Dec. 7 vs. Syracuse

Dec. 12 at Baylor (BE-B12 Challenge)
Dec. 29 Temple

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 12:06:45 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2021, 08:12:42 PM »
Coaching in college basketball is very much a "what have you done for me recently" business.  Shaka has a FF yes, but there's a very real chance that he goes a decade without a tourney win, so I can certainly understand if there are some hesitations regarding his overall body of work.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2021, 08:39:28 PM »
He’s lost some of his best players to season ending injuries in multiple different seasons. If you want to say a Final Four run is fluky, then so to us a first round loss. So last year’s 3 seed should be an encouraging sign. We hired a guy who just coached his team to a 3 seed in the Tournament. Which would be one of the highest seeds in MU history, and tied for highest in my lifetime.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2021, 08:41:02 PM »
He’s lost some of his best players to season ending injuries in multiple different seasons. If you want to say a Final Four run is fluky, then so to us a first round loss. So last year’s 3 seed should be an encouraging sign. We hired a guy who just coached his team to a 3 seed in the Tournament. Which would be one of the highest seeds in MU history, and tied for highest in my lifetime.

Yup, there’s bad luck and good luck in March.  🤷🏼‍♂️
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2021, 08:54:04 PM »
The theory is also that Shaka was not a cultural fit at Texas but will be one at Marquette. Could be phoey, but there's a few pieces about it that I buy
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #158 on: September 13, 2021, 08:57:49 PM »
The theory is also that Shaka was not a cultural fit at Texas but will be one at Marquette. Could be phoey, but there's a few pieces about it that I buy

I can believe this as well.  I don’t dismiss that at all.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2021, 10:12:26 PM »
Three Man Weave put up their Big East preview today on their website.

If you haven't seen their podcast or website, well worth it. Very in depth.

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/big-east-2021-22-preview
Thanks for posting . These guys do in depth work.

I have some differences with their conclusions though. I have Villanova and U Conn as Tier 1 and everyone else fighting tooth and nail to be at the top of Tier 2 . When I look at the rest of the league I think MU can compete for that 3rd spot .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2021, 11:08:58 PM »
This will get misinterpreted and that’s fine because nuance is lost so often but that Final Four was a fluky run.  He did a great job at VCU.  It’s not easy to consistently make the tournament there.  That was more impressive than the Final 4 to me big picture-wise.  But his time at Texas gives me pause.  There’s more than a few coaches who have made one final 4 and never sniffed another.  If he’s more VCU at Marquette than Texas, then it’s a good chance he’ll have consistent success.  If it’s his time at Texas, eh.  For me, I really feel like we’ll know a lot by spring of 2022, we really will

Brother Rico:

Absolutely. Let's see how far he goes with what he has.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #161 on: September 15, 2021, 11:04:09 AM »
another big commitment for Mike Anderson and St. John's.  The question was whether he could recruit NYC. Well, 8 guys (with this year's commitments) are NYC guys and MA has established a strong Our Savior Lutheran pipeline going. The Van Macon hire is proving to be a huge one. 

https://nypost.com/2021/09/14/jaquan-sanders-commits-to-st-johns-over-seton-hall/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #162 on: September 15, 2021, 11:19:42 AM »
another big commitment for Mike Anderson and St. John's.  The question was whether he could recruit NYC. Well, 8 guys (with this year's commitments) are NYC guys and MA has established a strong Our Savior Lutheran pipeline going. The Van Macon hire is proving to be a huge one. 

https://nypost.com/2021/09/14/jaquan-sanders-commits-to-st-johns-over-seton-hall/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

He’s doing good work.  Didn’t like the hire but he’s proven me wrong. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #163 on: September 15, 2021, 11:48:25 AM »

the big question is whether he can win in the postseason. One Elite Eight (Mizzou) and one Sweet 16 (UAB) but other than that, seven first or second round exits. His style definitely appeals to NYC kids.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #164 on: September 15, 2021, 04:16:52 PM »

I thought he was a solid hire, but I'm not certain what he's proven at this point. In two seasons he's 0-fer on making the postseason (yes, COVID cancelled one of them but they weren't making it without running the table at the BET). Is recruiting highly rated prospects proof of a good hire? By that standard, Wojo was fantastic!

the big question is whether he can win in the postseason. One Elite Eight (Mizzou) and one Sweet 16 (UAB) but other than that, seven first or second round exits. His style definitely appeals to NYC kids.

Win in the postseason? I think he needs to answer whether or not he can make the postseason at SJU first.

And again, I thought he was a solid hire and would not be surprised to see SJU take off under him. Just haven't seen the proof yet.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 04:39:41 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #165 on: September 15, 2021, 04:33:53 PM »
I feel like St John's fell backwards into a decent hire. Considering how bad that process went, they should feel very fortunate.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #166 on: September 15, 2021, 04:46:38 PM »
I feel like St John's fell backwards into a decent hire. Considering how bad that process went, they should feel very fortunate.
That is exactly what happened and they are indeed very lucky. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #167 on: September 15, 2021, 04:55:25 PM »
I thought he was a solid hire, but I'm not certain what he's proven at this point. In two seasons he's 0-fer on making the postseason (yes, COVID cancelled one of them but they weren't making it without running the table at the BET). Is recruiting highly rated prospects proof of a good hire? By that standard, Wojo was fantastic!

Win in the postseason? I think he needs to answer whether or not he can make the postseason at SJU first.

And again, I thought he was a solid hire and would not be surprised to see SJU take off under him. Just haven't seen the proof yet.

Those are fair points in discussing Anderson.  He recruited well at Arkansas but they always seemed to be stuck in neutral and we’ve seen some of that at St. John’s.  Given where the league is right now, plenty of windows are open for any program to take off

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #168 on: September 16, 2021, 06:35:35 PM »

This is the story.

People somehow thinking Anderson has already answered the questions goes to the theory that attention spans are five minutes long in the best case.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #169 on: September 16, 2021, 09:14:46 PM »

Bingo.

We'll see.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #170 on: September 16, 2021, 09:53:13 PM »
If Anderson has any kind of traction with the Program, The Johnnie fans will come out of the woodwork in swarms  .

I remember back in the Mullin days , there were so many working class people in the city backing the team, many had no connection to the school .

We saw a little bit of that kind of response when Mike Jarvis had the team going well.
                       ---Al McGuire

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2021, 03:54:51 PM »
Any estimates on when the Big East is going to release the conference schedule?  It's already much later than usual.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2021, 04:15:55 PM »
Any estimates on when the Big East is going to release the conference schedule?  It's already much later than usual.

MU student tickets on sale this week yet no BE schedule announcement clues yet. Has to be this week to hype single tickets and packs with MM.

Also, with a later Winter school start, the game packs may get heavily promoted in larger bundles as the inventory, including "Be a Student", is larger. <Speculation>

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2021, 06:49:34 PM »
Someone mentioned on another board that the NBA schedule was released later than usual, and with the number of shared arenas, that could be why the BE schedule is later.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2021, 02:57:31 PM »
I'm finding this delay rather annoying.  With digital tickets, if you have make a slight change, how hard can it be?
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

feedback