'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Take a Breath, Marquette...  (Read 11009 times)

panda

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Take a Breath, Marquette...
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2021, 07:07:50 AM »
Oklahoma State did this with Cade Cunningham's dad.

Squirmy, but if the NCAA won't make a rule...

Not squirmy at all.

Is there anything squirmy about junior going to play with his dad at UWM?

Assuming there is no under the table payments, we’d be hiring an experienced coach and his son would come with him.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 07:18:30 AM by panda »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2021, 07:14:50 AM »
Oklahoma State did this with Cade Cunningham's dad.

Squirmy, but if the NCAA won't make a rule...

Two thoughts:

A. I know Cunningham's brother (who had one year of experience on Dunleavy's staff at Tulane) is on the OSU staff. Was his father involved at some time too?
B. There is a huge difference between hiring a kid with some experience as a middle school coach and one year as a video coordinator and hiring a guy who has 20 years of experience coaching college basketball including four years as a DI head coach and four years as a P6 assistant.

There is no question that Baldwin is more than qualified for a spot on Shaka's bench.  Besides, MU has had great success in the past when dealing with family members in the MBB program; it's always ended well.

And for the record, I'd be extraordinarly shocked if this rumor is actually true.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2021, 07:48:21 AM »
Two thoughts:

A. I know Cunningham's brother (who had one year of experience on Dunleavy's staff at Tulane) is on the OSU staff. Was his father involved at some time too?
B. There is a huge difference between hiring a kid with some experience as a middle school coach and one year as a video coordinator and hiring a guy who has 20 years of experience coaching college basketball including four years as a DI head coach and four years as a P6 assistant.

There is no question that Baldwin is more than qualified for a spot on Shaka's bench.  Besides, MU has had great success in the past when dealing with family members in the MBB program; it's always ended well.

And for the record, I'd be extraordinarly shocked if this rumor is actually true.

Correct.

Also correct that Cade's brother is no longer on staff. Weird timing, I guess?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2021, 08:00:25 AM »
My little brother, who used to coach in the Milwaukee public league and still has lots of coaching friends he talks to regularly, puts this in the, "Probably just a rumor but not all that crazy a rumor" category. He has one friend who swears it's gonna happen but a couple others who just laugh at it.

In other words ... #donedeal

But let's say it does happen ...

I thought we wanted to be out of the 1-and-done business, not to mention the hire-family-members-just-to-get-at-a-great-player business.

Or do we think Shaka would handle such a situation so much better than Wojo did that, what the hell, it's worth a try?

I think I fall into that last camp.

What the hell! Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead, and let's go win a Big East title and a few NCAA tournament games!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2021, 08:04:24 AM »
My little brother, who used to coach in the Milwaukee public league and still has lots of coaching friends he talks to regularly, puts this in the, "Probably just a rumor but not all that crazy a rumor" category. He has one friend who swears it's gonna happen but a couple others who just laugh at it.

In other words ... #donedeal

But let's say it does happen ...

I thought we wanted to be out of the 1-and-done business, not to mention the hire-family-members-just-to-get-at-a-great-player business.

Or do we think Shaka would handle such a situation so much better than Wojo did that, what the hell, it's worth a try?

I think I fall into that last camp.

What the hell! Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead, and let's go win a Big East title and a few NCAA tournament games!!

Honest question...and I know that I and others often ask similar questions as a joke...if the rumor is true* would he require a scholarship?

*I don't think the rumor is true. Feel free to surprise me, Shaka.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2021, 08:20:20 AM »
Honest question...and I know that I and others often ask similar questions as a joke...if the rumor is true* would he require a scholarship?

*I don't think the rumor is true. Feel free to surprise me, Shaka.

Haha the classic legitimate “walk on son” angle, and we’ve come full circle!

I’ve had a weird feeling about Baldwin Jr since Shaka joined, my instincts told me that he would make a heavy push to bring the kid to Marquette for one season.

I have no idea if these rumors are true but if they are it would be amazing.
I mean on the surface it makes complete sense- kid wants to stay in Milwaukee with his pops knowing he will only play college for one season.
I don’t think playing in the Horizon will benefit him in the least due to the soft competition. It might not hurt his draft stock but it likely won’t improve his game as much as playing in the BE.

Combine that with being able to learn from both Shaka, who clearly values a high motor and doing things the right with with ultimate effort, and his dad at the same time as well as showcasing his skills off to the world versus BE talent and it’s honestly a no brainer to me.

I’m a homer though :)

That said, who can shed some more light on Mr. Baldwin Sr’s qualifications?
Baldwin Jr would be MUs highest rated recruit of my lifetime, and the best player on the court from day one, but Sr. is the one that would matter more in the big picture scheme of things.

If Patrick Baldwin Sr is a great pickup as associate head coach and can help Shaka recruit and coach this pickup would be a grand slam

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2021, 08:23:56 AM »
That said, who can shed some more light on Mr. Baldwin Sr’s qualifications?
Baldwin Jr would be MUs highest rated recruit of my lifetime, and the best player on the court from day one, but Sr. is the one that would matter more in the big picture scheme of things.

If Patrick Baldwin Sr is a great pickup as associate head coach and can help Shaka recruit and coach this pickup would be a grand slam

I know nothing about him other than what appears on his "resume" (i.e., wiki):

2001–2002   Lincoln (MO) (assistant)
2002–2004   Green Bay (assistant)
2004–2011   Loyola (IL) (assistant)
2011–2013   Missouri State(assistant)
2013–2017   Northwestern (assistant)
2017–present   Milwaukee (head coach)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2021, 08:31:13 AM »
Baldwin earns about $370k, well within MU's Associate Head Coach range.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2021, 08:38:30 AM »
First, if this is happening, it means either a current assistant (Cody Hatt?) or Baldwin Sr will be taking a role at lower than an assistant coach level. DBO, Special Assistant, Director of Player Personnel, something like that.

Second, for me one-and-dones are best used to augment a team that is stable and ready for the next step rather than as a building block. If a Patrick Baldwin came along in 2-3 years when the rotation and roster had familiarity, I think it would be a better move.

I'm not saying it couldn't work, but I noticed that at Texas, Shaka had some big early gets like Jarrett Allen & Mo Bamba, but not much team success. However, when he developed roster continuity and had guys established in his system, adding Greg Brown helped a bubble team turn into a 3-seed.

This team seems to be building a culture. As it stands, there are ELEVEN freshmen and sophomores on next year's team. That's a team that will need time to get where we want it to go, and those players will likely develop best by getting meaningful reps early (and probably a redshirt or two). Bringing in someone that would be a gravitational force element on the court could delay those reps and development. I think that's less of an issue with an established role-player with collegiate experience, like a Darryl Morsell.

I'll trust the staff to make the best decisions, but I'm not personally convinced Baldwin would be it for the longer term success of this roster. And I'm also not convinced Shaka will force Hatt or Baldwin to a less-than-full-Assistant role.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2021, 08:42:52 AM »
First, if this is happening, it means either a current assistant (Cody Hatt?) or Baldwin Sr will be taking a role at lower than an assistant coach level. DBO, Special Assistant, Director of Player Personnel, something like that.

Second, for me one-and-dones are best used to augment a team that is stable and ready for the next step rather than as a building block. If a Patrick Baldwin came along in 2-3 years when the rotation and roster had familiarity, I think it would be a better move.

I'm not saying it couldn't work, but I noticed that at Texas, Shaka had some big early gets like Jarrett Allen & Mo Bamba, but not much team success. However, when he developed roster continuity and had guys established in his system, adding Greg Brown helped a bubble team turn into a 3-seed.

This team seems to be building a culture. As it stands, there are ELEVEN freshmen and sophomores on next year's team. That's a team that will need time to get where we want it to go, and those players will likely develop best by getting meaningful reps early (and probably a redshirt or two). Bringing in someone that would be a gravitational force element on the court could delay those reps and development. I think that's less of an issue with an established role-player with collegiate experience, like a Darryl Morsell.

I'll trust the staff to make the best decisions, but I'm not personally convinced Baldwin would be it for the longer term success of this roster. And I'm also not convinced Shaka will force Hatt or Baldwin to a less-than-full-Assistant role.

I feel like we saw already what happens when you have a team of well regarded but young players, forced to sacrifice to showcase one player. As lovely as Henry's year was with the WI LSU and Prov wins and 20 overall wins, I don't think many would call it a success.
Maigh Eo for Sam

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2021, 08:45:14 AM »
I feel like we saw already what happens when you have a team of well regarded but young players, forced to sacrifice to showcase one player. As lovely as Henry's year was with the WI LSU and Prov wins and 20 overall wins, I don't think many would call it a success.

Let me say first

This Baldwin thing is not happening. 0%.

But hypothetically if it did. This roster with Baldwin, would be much, much, much more competitive than the roster with Henry.

Also, probably better coached.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2021, 08:46:33 AM »
Brew, wasn’t there a change recently that in order to hire someone with a previous relationship to a recruit, it had to be to one of the 3 assistant spots.

I think that was to deter AAU or parents getting random athletic department jobs. So Baldwin would need to be an assistant.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2021, 08:49:23 AM »

Way, way, WAY too much common sense in here.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2021, 08:52:49 AM »

This is Scoop, this is no place for common sense
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2021, 08:55:33 AM »
Two thoughts:

My mistake, his brother.  Early morning mistakes and all.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2021, 09:04:25 AM »

Why do they have to drop down? The Associate Head Coach spot is not filled yet as best as I can tell. Hatt and Berry are listed as assistants and Smith as Special Assistant to the Head Coach. And Haynes is still listed at Maryland as being on Turgeon's staff.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2021, 09:04:33 AM »

Perhaps. That said, when you are Marquette if you can get a top 5 recruit, even for one season, you take it 110% of the time.

Anyone that argues otherwise is just plain overthinking it and coming to an incorrect conclusion.

I don’t even think I need to list the reasons why, they should be self explanatory.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2021, 09:06:51 AM »
Brew, wasn’t there a change recently that in order to hire someone with a previous relationship to a recruit, it had to be to one of the 3 assistant spots.

I think that was to deter AAU or parents getting random athletic department jobs. So Baldwin would need to be an assistant.

I believe that's correct. So essentially, it means a Cody Hatt demotion. I think what TAMU said is closest to the truth, but the actual mouthpieces weren't Scoop but rather local HS & AAU coaches.

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2021, 09:07:16 AM »

Currently, only Cody Hatt and Neill Berry is listed as a assistant coach in Marquette’s directory. Nevada Smith the other rumored assistant is listed as special assistant to the head coach. He was director of program development and could be taking on a similar role at Marquette. Recruiting isn’t for everyone.

Still doubtful it happens but there would be room for one of  Haynes and Baldwin on the staff. Neither are listed in the Marquette directory yet and Haynes is still listed as a Maryland coach.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 09:10:03 AM by marquette20 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2021, 09:10:06 AM »
Perhaps. That said, when you are Marquette if you can get a top 5 recruit, even for one season, you take it 110% of the time.

Anyone that argues otherwise is just plain overthinking it and coming to an incorrect conclusion.

I don’t even think I need to list the reasons why, they should be self explanatory.

Oh, I think I'd do it because I desperately want to see Marquette back in the Sweet 16 and beyond.

Totally agree on getting a top-5 recruit if you can. Not quite as thrilled if it requires adding a coach to your staff if you otherwise would have no use for him ... but I still think I'd do it.

I'm less concerned about the 1-and-done part of it. With or without Baldwin, we'll be a very young team; but after he leaves, our talented freshmen will be sophomores, and you'd think one or more of them would be ready to step up, accept additional responsibility, and help replace Baldwin.

All of which doesn't mean brew's level-headed, fact-based discussion of the issue wasn't filled with common sense.

I love that we're all speculating wildly on this stuff. It's fun!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2021, 09:10:36 AM »
I checked in with one of Milwaukee's (and Wisconsin's) top HS coaches and he hadn't heard anything, and he usually hears something.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2021, 09:26:23 AM »
Still doubtful it happens but there would be room for one of  Haynes and Baldwin on the staff. Neither are listed in the Marquette directory yet and Haynes is still listed as a Maryland coach.

I'm surprised no one suggested this sooner. While you are correct about the directory and listing, I do not at all believe there is room for Baldwin on the staff. Not without a demotion. And Hatt is most likely based on his career so far.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2021, 09:30:58 AM »

Agreed, there’s so much upside to taking him. Imagine if the kid took us deep in the tournament, was a lottery pick, and 5x all star in the NBA. His one season here could be paying off 10-15 years down the road like it did with Dwade. MU could use a face in the NBA and it’d be even better if he was a hometown kid.

If it doesn’t all play out like above, then yeah it’s better to work on building the program and culture like Brew is saying... but man that is a gamble I think I’d be willing to take.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2021, 09:33:47 AM »
I'm surprised no one suggested this sooner. While you are correct about the directory and listing, I do not at all believe there is room for Baldwin on the staff. Not without a demotion. And Hatt is most likely based on his career so far.

Ethics matter. Doing the right thing matters.

So if Shaka already has promised certain positions to the maximum number of coaches he can offer those positions to, he really can't now - days later - say, "Uh, remember that position I promised you? Well sorry, I'm giving it to Patrick Baldwin's dad."

That wouldn't seem right at all.

If he hasn't made such promises, however, I'd probably go for it with the Baldwins.

If that's even a thing more than something for us all to drive ourselves nuts about.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2021, 09:35:18 AM »
Feeling pretty confident this will all be put to bed today. Before the weekend is out almost certainly.

feedback