[Today at 12:54:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What do you think of all this activity?

Love it. It's a new day, new program and it's exciting.
212 (93.4%)
He's moving TOO fast - these can't all be smart (sorry) moves.
6 (2.6%)
He's making the team too young and inexperienced.
5 (2.2%)
Has Wojo left town?
4 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 227

Voting closed: April 18, 2021, 09:41:38 AM

Author Topic: Shaka's Multiple Moves  (Read 12217 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Shaka's Multiple Moves
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2021, 12:10:22 PM »
Just gonna throw the image out there for non-social media folks :

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2021, 12:14:25 PM »
Just gonna throw the image out there for non-social media folks :

Good Hair across the board.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2021, 12:16:10 PM »
A new guy comes in and he wants his own people.

He wants to mold his own culture. His own vision and his own image.

It's as true in basketball as it is in business and industry.

That's what Coach Shaka is doing. I see it as getting the guys who not just fit his mold as players, but buy into his vision for the program.

If the core of the Wojo guys buy in, they'll stay and be on the ground floor of something special. If they leave, OK, it happens. I'm hoping Justin Lewis, Dawson Garcia and DJ Carton are back. I suspect Coach Shaka does too.

If they're not, it's because they won't make it in our system. It's their choice.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:17:53 PM by dgies9156 »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2021, 12:17:01 PM »
oops

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2021, 12:17:11 PM »
Like a kid in a candy store...

Or an adult venturing into Costco for the first time. We're buying in bulk!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2021, 12:20:26 PM »
Or an adult venturing into Costco for the first time. We're buying in bulk!

"Oh look Maya, a mix pack of recruits and transfers.  We won't have to come back for another year!"

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2021, 12:26:24 PM »
Morsell? Cmon...please be Morsell

Didn't Morsell already decide on NC State?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2021, 12:28:51 PM »
Is there a 5th choice, "Unknown," because that is what it is at this point.

Shaka will be evaluated the same as any other (MUBB) Head Coach. Expectations will be the same as any other MUBB Head Coach.

That may require additional explanation. .....Some coaches are successful year one and keep it going. Some are successful year 1 or 2 then drop off a bit, and later build a consistent winner. Some coaches take 3 or 4 or even 5 years to build a consistent winner. Some coaches do not win and get replaced after a period of time.

I'm sure many would like to see Buzz like results winning the regular season Big East Title, 3 NCAA second weekends, 4 top 5 league finishes, all within six seasons. Can Shaka get Marquette back to this level? How long will it take him to do so? Etc...

So, the answer is unknown. There is often hope with any new regime.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 01:03:12 PM by shoothoops »

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2021, 12:29:24 PM »
Nah:

https://twitter.com/InsidePortal/status/1382738016557531140

If this keeps up, even the Big 3 are going to sleep with one eye opened. So say goodbye to Perez and Akanno, hoping not Greg too but I would not be surprised. No one is talking about Bates much anymore. I think that ship has sailed but just not announced yet.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2021, 12:29:45 PM »

No

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2021, 12:30:10 PM »

As of 15 hours ago, he was still considering draft or schools. NC State wasn't one of the ones listed here:

https://247sports.com/college/maryland/Article/Maryland-basketball-Darryl-Morsell-on-transferNBA-decision-timeline-Terps-new-additions-164184406/

According to ESPN's Jeff Borzello, Morsell has heard from Arkansas, Miami, Florida, Providence, Marquette, San Diego State, Butler and Clemson. he has until July 19 to pull out of the draft, but there's no deadline on his decision whether to transfer or return to Maryland.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2021, 12:34:55 PM »
As of 15 hours ago, he was still considering draft or schools. NC State wasn't one of the ones listed here:

https://247sports.com/college/maryland/Article/Maryland-basketball-Darryl-Morsell-on-transferNBA-decision-timeline-Terps-new-additions-164184406/

You're right. It was Casey Morsell from UVA.

Gotta learn to keep my Morsell's straight.  :-\

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2021, 12:38:55 PM »
I LOVE it.

I don't yet understand how he sees all the pieces fitting together, but he seems to be building with a purpose so I am more than willing to trust his vision. And I love how athletic most of the players appear to be.

If we can be somewhere in the mid- to upper portion of the BE next season and improve through January and February, I will be thrilled.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2021, 12:48:59 PM »
I LOVE it.

I don't yet understand how he sees all the pieces fitting together, but he seems to be building with a purpose so I am more than willing to trust his vision. And I love how athletic most of the players appear to be.

If we can be somewhere in the mid- to upper portion of the BE next season and improve through January and February, I will be thrilled.

I'm guessing 12-8 in conference and that's simply because of freshman, some sophs and a new coach and system. Otherwise, I'd guess higher. Agree that the team will improve as the season goes on. Other than 80% of one season, I have not had a ton of fun watching the last 8 seasons. This team will definitely be fun to watch and kick butt the following year.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2021, 12:50:25 PM »
I may be missing something in all this... so forgive my naivete, but all this talk about players transferring out to open scholarship spots, wouldn't redshirting also open spots as well?    As long as 1 or 2 players redshirt, this shouldn't be an issue, right?   Or does a redshirt player still use a scholarship spot?  I have no idea why I can't remember the answer to this.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2021, 12:52:13 PM »
I may be missing something in all this... so forgive my naivete, but all this talk about players transferring out to open scholarship spots, wouldn't redshirting also open spots as well?    As long as 1 or 2 players redshirt, this shouldn't be an issue, right?   Or does a redshirt player still use a scholarship spot?  I have no idea why I can't remember the answer to this.

redshirts still use a scholarship

MU24

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2021, 12:55:01 PM »
Its somewhat refreshing to just hit reset and watch the team develop. Im so excited for all the new players. We as fans have seen the same-old-type of Wojo teams underperform or make bondheaded plays over and over again. It will be nice to have a fresh set of guys to put their own stamp on MUBB. Nearly all the new and incoming players seem very switchable which gets me very pumped.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2021, 01:16:05 PM »
Its somewhat refreshing to just hit reset and watch the team develop. Im so excited for all the new players. We as fans have seen the same-old-type of Wojo teams underperform or make bondheaded plays over and over again. It will be nice to have a fresh set of guys to put their own stamp on MUBB. Nearly all the new and incoming players seem very switchable which gets me very pumped.

Agree, I think it is always exciting to see new faces come in and develop. I am also eager and excited to see a new style of play. It took me a while, but the same ol same ol really did start to wear on me this season. The switchable style has the potential to be a lot more exciting, but we'll see. Easy to be optimistic before hitting the court, but still nice to have that at this point.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2021, 01:21:56 PM »
What about Stevie, Kam and Prosper?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 01:25:00 PM by Stretchdeltsig »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2021, 01:23:46 PM »
As someone who admittedly was hoping for Gates or Moser, I have to ask: I wonder if we'd have -1 scholarships available right now with a seven exciting new players on the way. Somehow, I don't think so. I've never been so happy things didn't work out the way I wanted.

I can't wait for the season.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2021, 01:24:48 PM »
What about Stevie and Kam?

They're still coming.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2021, 01:30:59 PM »
As someone who admittedly was hoping for Gates or Moser, I have to ask: I wonder if we'd have -1 scholarships available right now with a seven exciting new players on the way. Somehow, I don't think so. I've never been so happy things didn't work out the way I wanted.

I can't wait for the season.

That is an excellent point Stilla.  Look, the marriage between a BEast, urban, Catholic, and basketball centric university with a storied history and a nationally recognized minority coach is going to open a lot of eyes for kids who might be inclined to seek that out.  Personally, I think Shaka is a much better fit here than in Austin.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2021, 01:33:32 PM »
They're still coming.

That's what she said.

WarriorSteve

• Walk-On
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2021, 01:52:35 PM »
To me the biggest issue with Warrior basketball under Wojo was the lack of physical and mental toughness.  At VCU Shaka's teams, while not the most talented, were always physically and mentally tough - they outworked, out hustled, and mentally wore down their opponents.  If these new players can fit this philosophy, all of us MU fans will be very happy.

I live in Omaha, the home of the Creighton Bluejays.  Creighton is a soft, finesse team.  However, when they played MU they thought that if was one of the few matchups where they had a physical and mental toughness advantage.  When talking about the Big East on locally sports talk radio, analysts would point to the days when MU would be a "tough out" because of their physicality, and wondered how and why Marquette lost this.  These same analysts are now worried that the Warriors under Skaka will be Villinova's main threat in the conference, not Creighton.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2021, 02:16:47 PM »
One minute ago, I received an email from the Marquette Ticket Office pitching season tickets.

Don't blame 'em. Strike while the iron is hot. If I lived within 2 hours of Milwaukee, I'd be getting 'em for sure.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson