Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coping with 32 Deflections Per Game Talk  (Read 1010 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Coping with 32 Deflections Per Game Talk
« on: November 09, 2021, 02:25:52 PM »
For reasons noted below, I’m OK with Shaka and staff talking about a goal of 32 deflections per game. I believe what should not be allowed is anyone saying ‘game X was our best deflection game because we had X deflections that game, which is more than any other game’.

While not perfect, something like deflections per possession would be much more useful and easy to calculate / track (as opposed to getting to quality of deflections – which can certainly be analyzed by tape, but not easy to calculate for the average person).

If my opponent has 60 possessions in a game and I have 32 deflections – without additional, very detailed information -- I am more pleased with the number of deflections than if my opponent had 75 possessions and I have 33 deflections.

To keep things simple.. for the public, the media, and certainly the players… talking about a consistent goal of a precise number of deflections in a game is fine. Properly adjusting based on forecasts or actuals would be crazy in a scenario where your bench is holding up a progress report to players on the court throughout the game. Therefore, I will choose to be OK with this talk of 32 per game.

But, please... do not proclaim something like, 'we had X number of deflections tonight! That means it's our best deflections game!'

BTW, looking forward to monitoring our 3FGA/FGA a lot this year.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
Re: Coping with 32 Deflections Per Game Talk
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 02:38:52 PM »
Valid point JB.   I think it should also be weighted for quality of opponent, but I don't know if that is possible.   

You talk about our 3pt fga/fga attempts this year.   What are you interested in?    How well does the team execute the whole 3pt or layup scheme with few mid range jumpers?    Percentage of shot attempts that come from 3?    I know you love efg%.   In your opinion, how does this all tie together?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 02:48:14 PM »
I just want us to make a good percentage of our free throws.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 05:11:01 PM »
Deflections per game was something Tom Crean preached when he got to Marquette.  It was a big talking point the first year or so he was coaching.  Kind of interesting it’s a point of emphasis again
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 05:14:21 PM »
Kind of interesting it’s a point of emphasis again

Wojo never had a gimmicky stat to track (deflections, paint touches).  Perhaps he's learned that and will adopt it at his next job.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 05:21:46 PM »
Defensive time of possession is the metric as it's about the outcome not the activity.

Or DPP=Deflections per Possession.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 05:24:53 PM »
Wojo never had a gimmicky stat to track (deflections, paint touches).  Perhaps he's learned that and will adopt it at his next job.

Bricks

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-10-03/college-basketball-marquette-coach-steve-wojciechowski%3famp

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2021, 05:48:16 PM »
Deflections per game was something Tom Crean preached when he got to Marquette.  It was a big talking point the first year or so he was coaching.  Kind of interesting it’s a point of emphasis again

I think it is just a measuring stick for hustle rather than any particular ability.

Lots of deflections means your defense is working hard.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2021, 05:50:32 PM »
I think it is just a measuring stick for hustle rather than any particular ability.

Lots of deflections means your defense is working hard.

Understood.  It’s sort of interesting to see it talked about again. 
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 06:07:46 PM »
Understood.  It’s sort of interesting to see it talked about again.

I agree, Rico.

feedback