[Today at 12:46:34 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NO THANKS to Scholl and Lovell... We were taken to the cleaners....  (Read 14797 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: NO THANKS to Scholl and Lovell... We were taken to the cleaners....
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2021, 09:19:19 PM »
You really have no idea how this played out, do you? Haha! If you did, you’d be grateful. You also must be a casual basketball observer who doesn’t care about advanced metrics.

Do yourself, and the rest of us on this board, a favor and go read this article. Then come back and apologize.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2021/03/the-case-for-shaka-smart.html?m=1

LOLLLLLLL the condescending fart sniffing stat-humpers are all coming out of the woodwork lately. The funniest part is they're all making the biggest stretches possible, absolutely torturing & misinterpreting stats and acting like it's checkmate. Very very funny to me!

Can't wait to get high as hell on top 40 KenPom defenses with y'all!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2021, 09:27:09 PM »
Regardless of who MU hired, a thread like this would have been started.   There was no perfect candidate.  None that would have pleased 100% of the fan base.  There are ample statistics out there regarding Shaka to buttress the entire spectrum.   And sadly but not surprisingly, melanin is an issue to some.

I choose optimism.  Coach Smart is the new face of Marquette basketball.   I want him to succeed.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 12:32:42 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2021, 09:29:36 PM »
LOLLLLLLL the condescending fart sniffing stat-humpers are all coming out of the woodwork lately. The funniest part is they're all making the biggest stretches possible, absolutely torturing & misinterpreting stats and acting like it's checkmate. Very very funny to me!

Can't wait to get high as hell on top 40 KenPom defenses with y'all!

I’d suggest you grab some season tickets at the Gentile Center next year. You’re not handling the end of your Moser dream very well

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2021, 09:31:16 PM »
moronic bitch baby post. The only realistic option i would have barely took over smart was porter. And when it comes to what are the odds smart has more succes here than porter or vice versa.... imo its a freakin coin flip. Are really gonna bitch and moan immediatly??? Fire shaka? damn its pathetic. Good hire MU> Lets go coach smart.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2021, 09:33:20 PM »
None of us knows what happened behind closed doors in the McGuire Center and in Austin.

We shouldn't act like we do.

There are factors and considerations involved that Bill Scholls and Dr. Lovell knew that we don't -- and may never. What we know is we now have a coach who can recruit and who has experienced the type of success we long for. It's time to either rally up and get behind the team or find another school to support.

In other words, the die is cast. The bitching needs to stop.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2021, 09:33:29 PM »
I’d suggest you grab some season tickets at the Gentile Center next year. You’re not handling the end of your Moser dream very well

I'm dead serious, I can't wait

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2021, 09:38:45 PM »
Wow ... this is some thread.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2021, 09:39:14 PM »
Oh man, these delicious page views.  Gonna be a good night at Arby's tonight.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2021, 09:39:26 PM »
You should meet MUwarrior69
so spot on

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2021, 09:41:17 PM »
Holy unnatural carnal knowledge you must be a miserable human being

Spot on

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2021, 10:20:32 PM »
Saw this and think it belongs here..

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2021, 10:36:46 PM »
None of us knows what happened behind closed doors in the McGuire Center and in Austin.

There are factors and considerations involved that Bill Scholls and Dr. Lovell knew that we don't -- and may never. What we know is we now have a coach who can recruit and who has experienced the type of success we long for. It's time to either rally up and get behind the team or find another school to support.

The type of success we long for is a 52-56 conference record with Texas?

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2021, 10:48:30 PM »
The type of success we long for is a 52-56 conference record with Texas?

He was a disappointing hire for the Longhorns after his successful run at VCU.

Smart was 109-86 in six seasons and 51-56 in Big 12 play. During those six seasons, the Longhorns never came close to winning a Big 12 championship and couldn’t finish any higher than third. He was also 24-40 against ranked opponents.

Texas made only three NCAA Tournament appearances over the past six seasons. All three ended in one-and-done fashion, including last Saturday’s loss to 14th-seeded Abilene Christian.

This sounds a lot like Wojo 2.0. No idea what the reason is for the optimistic outlook and all the excitement.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2021, 10:58:56 PM »
He was a disappointing hire for the Longhorns after his successful run at VCU.

Smart was 109-86 in six seasons and 51-56 in Big 12 play. During those six seasons, the Longhorns never came close to winning a Big 12 championship and couldn’t finish any higher than third. He was also 24-40 against ranked opponents.

Texas made only three NCAA Tournament appearances over the past six seasons. All three ended in one-and-done fashion, including last Saturday’s loss to 14th-seeded Abilene Christian.

This sounds a lot like Wojo 2.0. No idea what the reason is for the optimistic outlook and all the excitement.

I guess the vast majority here are thinking MU is getting the red-hot up and comer from years ago who spurned MU for the Longhorns.

IMO, they're getting a guy who couldn't do anything with top recruiting classes at Texas.

Is he better than Wojo?  Sure, but most anyone would be.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2021, 11:02:56 PM »
I don’t give a sh*t what we spent. We’ve been putrid for 7 years and it’s affecting the entire university. Today is a great, great day for Marquette. Book it.

I like your confidence PRN!  Hope you are right. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2021, 11:06:01 PM »

100% correct. 

Norm

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2021, 11:06:55 PM »
The elephant in the room is that MU was never going to hire another white  guy as coach due to significant pressure from multiple woke groups.  That gave Shake a leg up and MU took the easy way out.

Shaka's best years are way behind him.  You realize he was at VCU almost 10 years ago? He now has F&$! you money.  He bailed on us 7 years ago, did the brain trust ask him about that? 

He wanted out of UT, not into MU.  He just took the first deal available and got a lucrative deal to come home because he couldn't take the heat in Texas

I will support him, but will I be called an unwoke racist if I criticize him?

I am about as liberal as they come. And I DO NOT like the Shaka hire, but I could not disagree with you more. This is not a "woke" hire. This is who Scholl wanted - as much as I disagree with it.

I too think that MU should not hire a guy who spurned us 7 years ago, who has done nothing at Texas to warrant us hiring him, and who is looking for a new gig because he was not successful at his previous one.

Scholl saw something he likes about Shaka and didn't want to wait. It's that simple. Nothing "woke" about it.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2021, 11:07:43 PM »
This is exactly why I was advocating for Brad Stevens, John Calipari or Jay Wright as our next coach. Why settle when the Marquette job is a destination, blue blood opening?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 11:09:30 PM by MarquetteVol »

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2021, 11:08:04 PM »
I guess the vast majority here are thinking MU is getting the red-hot up and comer from years ago who spurned MU for the Longhorns.

IMO, they're getting a guy who couldn't do anything with top recruiting classes at Texas.

Is he better than Wojo?  Sure, but most anyone would be.

My argument against this is that it's hard to win when you have 1 and dones in the program.  Look at what Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Kansas did this year...1 tourney win combined.   I don't think you'll see that at MU as Shaka's recruiting will suffer a bit compared to Texas.  Many of his recruits were in state at Texas and that won't translate to MU.  You'll see 4 and 3 star recruits at MU which may be a better thing if he can get a senior laden squad together for a run. 

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2021, 11:10:43 PM »
My argument against this is that it's hard to win when you have 1 and dones in the program.  Look at what Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Kansas did this year...1 tourney win combined.   I don't think you'll see that at MU as Shaka's recruiting will suffer a bit compared to Texas.  Many of his recruits were in state at Texas and that won't translate to MU.  You'll see 4 and 3 star recruits at MU which may be a better thing if he can get a senior laden squad together for a run.

1,000,000%

T.V. Diener 34

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2021, 11:18:17 PM »
Does Joplin follow him along to MU?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2021, 11:29:52 PM »

I’m not so sure. His last 5 classes, including 2021’s class, he signed 15 top 100 players.  9 of those were out of state, including his last 2 lottery picks. He won’t get the Texas guys, sure.  But he grabbed top guys from Minnesota, Ohio, Missouri, Florida, and NE prep schools in the last couple classes alone.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2021, 11:30:36 PM »
Does Joplin follow him along to MU?

I would say there's a good chance.  It's all dependent on what Joplin's motivations were on playing for Texas.  Majority of the time it's the coach, but there are times that players play at places because of the chemistry they have with the players and campus itself. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2021, 12:07:06 AM »
A lot of misinformation in the OP.

MU did not pay the majority of the buyout for Wojo. Donors stepped up to do it. Maybe that means there's an opportunity cost for future donations but not a significant actual cost.

MU also did not pay Shaka's buyout. An agreement was met with Texas.

I would also not assume that Shaka is getting more than Wojo. We'll need to wait a few years for that confirmation.

Given the breath of life that this hire will bring the program, I think it will be an excellent short term financial decision. Whether or not it is an excellent long term financial decision will all depend on how Shaka performs. But that's the case any time you hire a new coach.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2021, 06:53:41 AM »
The elephant in the room is that MU was never going to hire another white  guy as coach due to significant pressure from multiple woke groups.  That gave Shake a leg up and MU took the easy way out.

Shaka's best years are way behind him.  You realize he was at VCU almost 10 years ago? He now has F&$! you money.  He bailed on us 7 years ago, did the brain trust ask him about that? 

He wanted out of UT, not into MU.  He just took the first deal available and got a lucrative deal to come home because he couldn't take the heat in Texas

I will support him, but will I be called an unwoke racist if I criticize him?

I feel reasonably confident in saying that if Texas had made the S16 this year, that Moser would have been MU's coach next year.  And he's pretty white.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow