[September 20, 2024, 07:45:48 PM]

Big East 2024 -25 Results by Herman Cain
[September 20, 2024, 06:05:27 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by MU82
[September 20, 2024, 12:31:28 PM]

Excellent Mr Dodds Interview with Ben Gold by Herman Cain
[September 20, 2024, 08:52:59 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: An Even Better Article that Everyone Should Read  (Read 6203 times)

real chili 83

• All American
An Even Better Article that Everyone Should Read
« on: March 24, 2021, 12:18:42 PM »
Found this to be interesting.

https://mupfeif.medium.com/disconnected-the-wojo-era-ends-e7d988415163

It "seems" to underscore part of the reason why Wojo failed.....not open or receptive to input.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
Re: An Even Better Article that Everyone Should Read
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 12:25:29 PM »
“  Yes, the bloggers saw through the flaws, but they’re not in the press room and don’t have to deal with the ramifications of directly questioning a coach and potentially having him clam up on answers, or have staff limit access, accordingly. The Wojo era made me wish for a time when we had more people doing the question-asking. It never felt like we could challenge Wojo on things going wrong. At other schools in markets with a more robust media presence, like Butler in Indianapolis, reporters noticeably asked more-drilling questions. Expecting a student, a guy who does a lot of work for Marquette Athletics, or the only other professional journalist in the room to be that person seemed like a bridge too far, as well as when it’s clear from the want of Marquette staff to wrap pressers up quickly that there’s no interest on their part in encouraging the media to go too in-depth on anything. I tried, in my own way, to occasionally hold Wojciechowski’s feet to the fire in my blog. But there was only so much I could do while still expecting to face co-workers the next day.”

Now some people DEFINITELY owe me an apology.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 12:33:01 PM »

It's cute how you continue to think you're owed anything.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 12:34:02 PM »
“  Yes, the bloggers saw through the flaws, but they’re not in the press room and don’t have to deal with the ramifications of directly questioning a coach and potentially having him clam up on answers, or have staff limit access, accordingly. The Wojo era made me wish for a time when we had more people doing the question-asking. It never felt like we could challenge Wojo on things going wrong. At other schools in markets with a more robust media presence, like Butler in Indianapolis, reporters noticeably asked more-drilling questions. Expecting a student, a guy who does a lot of work for Marquette Athletics, or the only other professional journalist in the room to be that person seemed like a bridge too far, as well as when it’s clear from the want of Marquette staff to wrap pressers up quickly that there’s no interest on their part in encouraging the media to go too in-depth on anything. I tried, in my own way, to occasionally hold Wojciechowski’s feet to the fire in my blog. But there was only so much I could do while still expecting to face co-workers the next day.”

Lol
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 12:34:41 PM »
It's cute how you continue to think you're owed anything.
I mean. I won’t lose sleep if I don’t get it. The more and more we learn, the more and more my points were valid. That’s satisfaction enough for me.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 12:36:46 PM »

I think you're misremembering how that conversation went.

You said there was a conspiracy protecting Wojo from the media.

Others pointed out that it wasn't a conspiracy it was how media relations works. You give access to people who are more likely to write favorable articles about your product while limiting access to those who won't.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 12:41:38 PM »
I think you're misremembering how that conversation went.

You said there was a conspiracy protecting Wojo from the media.

Others pointed out that it wasn't a conspiracy it was how media relations works. You give access to people who are more likely to write favorable articles about your product while limiting access to those who won't.
Did the author of this article not mention that he feared losing his credentials over tough questions? Did the author of this article not mention that he could feel MU over his shoulder when it was time to “wrap it up” during interviews?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 12:46:20 PM »
Ners will be Ners.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 01:08:39 PM »
Did the author of this article not mention that he feared losing his credentials over tough questions? Did the author of this article not mention that he could feel MU over his shoulder when it was time to “wrap it up” during interviews?

Did I not say this:

TAMU

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 01:11:29 PM »
Did I not say this:
So you’re going back in time and saying you agreed with me the whole time - we just were using different words. Lol.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 01:19:20 PM »
Well, that was a lot more relevant, accurate and interesting than that drivel from Zoe.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 01:19:44 PM »
Thanks for posting that blog, rc83.

It confirms what most of us saw when we watched the press conferences from afar - that Wojo often was very defensive, and reluctant to let any of his personality come out.

I agree with the writer that Wojo might have had some trouble in a larger market in which there were dozens (or even 100+ in some markets) of reporters asking questions after games. I still remember how small he looked when he went after a student reporter a couple years ago. I can only imagine if he got the kind of grilling that the UConn coach or Illinois coach get every day.

Wojo might not have the personality to deal with this anyway, but being exposed to only one basketball culture did him no favors in this regard. Where he was his entire adult life was a fiefdom for K, who is rarely challenged. When he does get challenged even a little, he strikes out like a rattlesnake ... to his credit, he often apologizes a day or two later, but that he feels the need to strike out when challenged shows just how easy he has it. Of course, when you win as much as K does, you aren't getting challenged all that much.

This is Example No. 438 of why Wojo would have benefited from having experiences at other universities.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 01:20:08 PM »
So you’re going back in time and saying you agreed with me the whole time - we just were using different words. Lol.

If you'd like.

I'm sure student reporters are encouraged to stay positive. I'm also certain that that they have always been encouraged to stay positive and that's not unique to Wojo or Marquette. That is not censorship, propagandizing, or protecting Wojo. That's pretty standard media relations.

To give an extreme but true example,  the local paper in Lansing was given multiple tips about Larry Nassar going back years. They never acted on them. Ultimately,  an Indianapolis newspaper was the one to break the story because they had no need to stay on MSUs good side.

Companies and institutions have no motivation to give a journalist access to their program if they are going to write negative articles about them. It's not a conspiracy to protect Wojo, it's how media relations works

Agreed it was going on. Disagreed that it was a conspiracy or somehow unique to Wojo.
TAMU

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 01:25:54 PM »
This article pretty much sums up the main problem I had with Wojo as MU’s coach.  As a side note, I have a friend who met Bruce Pearl in a hotel lobby and said he was basically the nicest guy ever. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 01:26:05 PM »
Thanks for posting that blog, rc83.

It confirms what most of us saw when we watched the press conferences from afar - that Wojo often was very defensive, and reluctant to let any of his personality come out.

I agree with the writer that Wojo might have had some trouble in a larger market in which there were dozens (or even 100+ in some markets) of reporters asking questions after games. I still remember how small he looked when he went after a student reporter a couple years ago. I can only imagine if he got the kind of grilling that the UConn coach or Illinois coach get every day.

Wojo might not have the personality to deal with this anyway, but being exposed to only one basketball culture did him no favors in this regard. Where he was his entire adult life was a fiefdom for K, who is rarely challenged. When he does get challenged even a little, he strikes out like a rattlesnake ... to his credit, he often apologizes a day or two later, but that he feels the need to strike out when challenged shows just how easy he has it. Of course, when you win as much as K does, you aren't getting challenged all that much.

This is Example No. 438 of why Wojo would have benefited from having experiences at other universities.

Agreed. I’ll never forget the presser after Providence where he went off on a student reporter (I think a Paint Touches guy). The question was using his words from a previous presser that he needed to coach better, and asking about ways he was doing that. Wojo then flipped and went off.

It’s memorable if for no other reason than it’s one of the few times he went off script.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2021, 01:26:25 PM »
If you'd like.

Agreed it was going on. Disagreed that it was a conspiracy or somehow unique to Wojo.
But the author’s whole point is it was unique to Wojo / the Wojo era. And, unless you’re in press rooms, I would think he knows better than both of us.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2021, 01:30:10 PM »
But the author’s whole point is it was unique to Wojo / the Wojo era. And, unless you’re in press rooms, I would think he knows better than both of us.

That's fair. I haven't been in MU's press room, maybe it was new to MU. But I have been in other press rooms for other institutions and it is very much a thing.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2021, 01:40:36 PM »
This article pretty much sums up the main problem I had with Wojo as MU’s coach.  As a side note, I have a friend who met Bruce Pearl in a hotel lobby and said he was basically the nicest guy ever.

Yeah, but when he was finished yukking it up with Pearl, did your friend check to make sure he still had his wallet and watch?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2021, 01:53:47 PM »
The article is fine, but for a reporter to whine about the media not being able to ask the "tough" questions? F--- off man. That's your job. If you can't ask tough questions and maintain a decent working relationship with your sources, then you're not a good reporter.
And wishing more media were there so someone else would ask a tough question? Jesus, man, grow a pair.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2021, 01:55:33 PM »
The article is fine, but for a reporter to whine about the media not being able to ask the "tough" questions? F--- off man. That's your job. If you can't ask tough questions and maintain a decent working relationship with your sources, then you're not a good reporter.
And wishing more media were there so someone else would ask a tough question? Jesus, man, grow a pair.
Did you read the article? There was an insinuation that MU would take access away to anyone that got too tough on poor lil Wojo. Lol.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2021, 01:56:37 PM »
Found this to be interesting.

https://mupfeif.medium.com/disconnected-the-wojo-era-ends-e7d988415163

It "seems" to underscore part of the reason why Wojo failed.....not open or receptive to input.

Interesting and good article!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2021, 01:58:11 PM »

The problem is that a lot of the media can't ask the hard questions without losing their credentials or getting a cold shoulder.  As a group they should band together and ask the hard questions as a group.  They're all afraid of losing their insider info that they become part of the media wing of the school incidentally.

Ask the hard questions, and if you get the cold shoulder, write articles that you are getting the cold shoulder for asking those questions.

Warriors88

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2021, 01:59:24 PM »
Not sure I would concur with the comment about Bob Dukiet (great guy).  While I did not have many interactions with him on campus when I did he was an unpleasant jack-@#$.

But I'm sure he was a great piano player.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2021, 02:06:04 PM »

Wojo’s job was to win games.  If you can’t win games, you’re not a good coach.  Some might even say you’re pathetic. 

I’ve never read any of this guy’s stuff, so I can’t really say if he’s a good reporter or not.  But I believe what he’s said here about Wojo, because it was obvious to anyone paying attention to the program that this was going on.  Wojo was apparently blindsided when Scholl started asking him tough questions last week; I’m not surprised!  He faced zero criticism from the media his first seven years here.  Again, pathetic, and glad his arrogant, horrible coach ass is gone.

connie

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2021, 02:17:09 PM »
I mean. I won’t lose sleep if I don’t get it. The more and more we learn, the more and more my points were valid. That’s satisfaction enough for me.
It's good to satisfy yourself, or so I'm told.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

feedback