'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If the New Coach Brings In a Former Player - Who?  (Read 5693 times)

GOO

• All American
If the New Coach Brings In a Former Player - Who?
« on: March 23, 2021, 07:56:58 AM »
All is quiet on the coach search front. I guess that is good. No leaks or at least people are not talking. The way it should be, even if scoop (me included) may not be able to handle it.

If the new coach by brings in a former player, who?

Wade. Does he  really want to move and work 70+ hours a week?  Great player, would he be a good coach? 

Novak. Obviously can work with the emphasis on the 3 ball and his legendary shooting workouts.

Diener.  My choice if he still wants to be a coach, which he may not.

McNeal.

Chapman.

Tony Miller.

Who? 

Also if Matta were to get the job, who does he bring in as an experienced associate head coach?  Baldwin?  And I have no info that Matta is interested or healthy enough to get back into coaching.  Just a thought as he’d need to limit some of his recruiting travel, I’d guess.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 07:58:29 AM by GOO »

MU82

• All American
Re: If the New Coach Brings In a Former Player - Who?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 08:04:48 AM »
First, obviously, it depends on who wants to put in the work. I'm guessing most on your list, or any list we could come up with, wouldn't want to do it. Other than your family, you have to give up just about everything else in your life to be a great assistant basketball coach ... and many even give up their families.

Now, on to the question at hand. If he'd be willing to do it, Chapman would be my choice. He has shown an interest in coaching, he has gotten a taste of it, he's young enough to relate to kids, he was part of one of the school's all-time great teams, he was Wade's teammate, etc.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 08:05:24 AM »
Deiner or Chapman. Please don't go this route but Chapman has coaching experience and Deiner sort of does even though it's minimal
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 08:09:09 AM »
Deiner or Chapman. Please don't go this route but Chapman has coaching experience and Deiner sort of does even though it's minimal

Why not "go this route" for an assistant?

If a guy like Chapman really is committed to being a great assistant and to learning the craft of being a college coach, I would have absolutely no problem with it.

Diener ... he has stated on multiple occasions that he'd rather sit around and drink beer. I have no problem with that, either - I'd like to join him for a few rounds - but that's not an ideal modus operandi for a great assistant coach.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 08:12:18 AM »
I don't see D Wade ever coaching, at any level.  He rightfully enjoys his life with his wife and kids, and seems to have enough business interests outside of basketball to keep him busy (winery, clothing, etc.). 

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 08:17:21 AM »
All is quiet on the coach search front. I guess that is good. No leaks or at least people are not talking. The way it should be, even if scoop (me included) may not be able to handle it.

If the new coach by brings in a former player, who?

Wade. Does he  really want to move and work 70+ hours a week?  Great player, would he be a good coach? 

Novak. Obviously can work with the emphasis on the 3 ball and his legendary shooting workouts.

Diener.  My choice if he still wants to be a coach, which he may not.

McNeal.

Chapman.

Tony Miller.

Who? 

Also if Matta were to get the job, who does he bring in as an experienced associate head coach?  Baldwin?  And I have no info that Matta is interested or healthy enough to get back into coaching.  Just a thought as he’d need to limit some of his recruiting travel, I’d guess.

Wade has expressed zero interest in coaching, wouldn't come to be an assistant and has major business interests to attend to.

Diener tried the coaching thing and hated recruiting.  Hated it.

Chapman is opening a huge sports complex (of which Diener is an investor) and is on his way to being a major player in WI AAU circles.

Novak hasn't coached at all.  Is he willing to start at the bottom and do away with his TV gig?

Miller has been out of the coaching game I believe and has no roots to the midwest other than his 4 years here.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 08:20:08 AM »
Maybe Scott Merritt? Not sure what his role is with the women’s team.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 08:20:44 AM »
How about Scott Merritt if he wants to get into the men's game?  He has been an assistant on the women's side for five or six years.

If it is Gates, Merritt would have been a senior when he was here as GA.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 08:21:35 AM »
Lazar.   Because based on his time at MU, he...
Can coach bigs
Can coach shooting
Can coach defense
Has played in the league

Understands the spirit of Marquette.

Seriously, if there was mutual interest, bring him on board.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 08:22:22 AM »
How about Scott Merritt if he wants to get into the men's game?  He has been an assistant on the women's side for five or six years.

If it is Gates, Merritt would have been a senior when he was here as GA.
Beat you by 20 seconds  ;D

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 08:26:28 AM »
Beat you by 20 seconds  ;D

Dammit!

He would have to return to Marquette too.  He is on the Illinois staff now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 08:30:19 AM »
Why not "go this route" for an assistant?

If a guy like Chapman really is committed to being a great assistant and to learning the craft of being a college coach, I would have absolutely no problem with it.

Diener ... he has stated on multiple occasions that he'd rather sit around and drink beer. I have no problem with that, either - I'd like to join him for a few rounds - but that's not an ideal modus operandi for a great assistant coach.

I'm fine with that to. I'd just prefer we don't go this route at all and if we did those are the only 2 I'd say ok with. Wade and Novak are greats but no coaching experience and time after time we've seen that greats can't always coach

Edit: oh so I misunderstood the question. I thought it was if the new coach was a former player. For assistants I'd pluck a person who's already shown the proclivity toward that profession. Not just a big name for the heck of it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 08:41:17 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 08:34:45 AM »
Jerel’s Twitter profile says he’s the best coach/GM that hasn’t been discovered yet. Also, I’m pretty sure he’s tight with Gates so if Gates gets the job maybe Jerel try’s to get on the staff
Bring back FFP!!!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 08:34:55 AM »
Miller has been out of the coaching game I believe and has no roots to the midwest other than his 4 years here.

Cleveland isn’t the Midwest?

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 08:35:07 AM »
Diener ... he has stated on multiple occasions that he'd rather sit around and drink beer.

Old man Travis Diener hitting that game winning corner three in last year’s TBT was maybe the best thing ever.  If he actually has stated his relaxation activity of choice is sitting around and drinking beer, I’d, uh, believe it after seeing him in that tournament.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2021, 08:38:45 AM »
As mentioned, Merritt would be my first thought, though Jon Harris is also a thought.

As far as others, I would say Diener is a no. From what I hear he has no interest whatsoever in D1 coaching. Chapman I would doubt. His hands are full with AAU and TBT. Maybe in a few years. Guys that would've had the opportunity but haven't shown any inclination, like Novak or Wade, seem unlikely or they'd probably have their hands in coaching at some level already.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2021, 08:42:45 AM »
Old man Travis Diener hitting that game winning corner three in last year’s TBT was maybe the best thing ever.  If he actually has stated his relaxation activity of choice is sitting around and drinking beer, I’d, uh, believe it after seeing him in that tournament.

In other words, not much has changed since his college days.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2021, 08:44:28 AM »
Sam Hauser will have a bunch of free time
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2021, 08:45:50 AM »

Zing
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2021, 08:46:36 AM »

He can be in charge of the recruiting letters.

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2021, 08:49:38 AM »
He can be in charge of the recruiting letters.

Does he understand mail merge?  I thought he was more of a one-off guy.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2021, 08:49:49 AM »
Todd Townsend also has D1 assistant experience and I think still lives in the area.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2021, 08:50:26 AM »
As mentioned, Merritt would be my first thought, though Jon Harris is also a thought.

As far as others, I would say Diener is a no. From what I hear he has no interest whatsoever in D1 coaching. Chapman I would doubt. His hands are full with AAU and TBT. Maybe in a few years. Guys that would've had the opportunity but haven't shown any inclination, like Novak or Wade, seem unlikely or they'd probably have their hands in coaching at some level already.

As I said, I'd only bring in a guy who'd be all-in, so it goes without saying that if Chapman is more committed to AAU, TBT and his business interests, I wouldn't want him. But if he'd be all-in, I think he'd be a fine choice.

And yes, Merritt for sure.

I'm fine with that to. I'd just prefer we don't go this route at all and if we did those are the only 2 I'd say ok with. Wade and Novak are greats but no coaching experience and time after time we've seen that greats can't always coach

Edit: oh so I misunderstood the question. I thought it was if the new coach was a former player. For assistants I'd pluck a person who's already shown the proclivity toward that profession. Not just a big name for the heck of it.

Agree about the big name for the sake of it. Not sure most would call Joe Chapman a "big name," though.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2021, 08:51:26 AM »
Jerel’s Twitter profile says he’s the best coach/GM that hasn’t been discovered yet. Also, I’m pretty sure he’s tight with Gates so if Gates gets the job maybe Jerel try’s to get on the staff

That would be a great pairing, I'd love to see it. 'Rel is in all-timer, loves the game & the university, and is still seems to be active in the Chicago scene.

burger

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2021, 09:05:46 AM »
Wade is the air apparent on TNT when I think when Kenny Smith leaves or is the backup when one of the three are out.....

Travis is "basketball done" for now and has a poor taste in his mouth from being a WOJO assistant.....my opinion......Will not comment on that for obvious reasons.....

Novak would be a possibility......

I particularly like Travis's fire.....But I think it would have to be where he sees a clear path to head coach and that he actually would be "learning something".....

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2021, 09:08:53 AM »
Where to start...

He's not "basketball done." He's very much involved in the game at the youth level with Joe Chapman.

I've heard he wants nothing to do with recruiting at this level. Nothing to do with his time as DBO under Wojo.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2021, 09:11:08 AM »
If we're talking assistants, Jon Harris has extensive experience (GB, MO State, Mizzou, Cal). He did poorly as a head coach at SIUE, but if he wanted to come back as an assistant, we could certainly do a lot worse.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2021, 10:17:57 AM »
If we're talking assistants, Jon Harris has extensive experience (GB, MO State, Mizzou, Cal). He did poorly as a head coach at SIUE, but if he wanted to come back as an assistant, we could certainly do a lot worse.

Interesting that he seems to have been out of the game since leaving SIUE. Anyone know what he's up to?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2021, 10:20:27 AM »
What about Brian Wardle? He’s got some coaching experience and used to be an assistant at MU.

burger

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2021, 10:24:49 AM »
Where to start...

He's not "basketball done." He's very much involved in the game at the youth level with Joe Chapman.

I've heard he wants nothing to do with recruiting at this level. Nothing to do with his time as DBO under Wojo.

I think he does not want to be in the daily meat grinder and take it easy for a bit.....That is all I was saying.....He has been going at it day out for 20ish years.....A little time off is well deserved.....It is not like he needs the cash.....

A well thought out succession plan would have Moser come in for 13ish years.....Bring Travis back as  # one assistant at his option and move him to head coach in that time frame.....Of course nothing works out as planned .....That is the dream scenario.....

Travis has the fire.....
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 10:29:41 AM by burger »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2021, 10:44:06 AM »
I think he does not want to be in the daily meat grinder and take it easy for a bit.....That is all I was saying.....He has been going at it day out for 20ish years.....A little time off is well deserved.....It is not like he needs the cash.....

A well thought out succession plan would have Moser come in for 13ish years.....Bring Travis back as  # one assistant at his option and move him to head coach in that time frame.....Of course nothing works out as planned .....That is the dream scenario.....

Travis has the fire.....

LOL I love the specificity and also the time horizon (basically an eternity in college hoops world). I'd be on board!

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2021, 10:52:43 AM »
Can coach bigs
Can coach shooting
Can coach defense
Has played in the league

He doesn't just understand spirits, he can directly communicate with them.

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2021, 10:53:11 AM »
Why are we so hung up on Travis?

He didn't like the recruiting game at the highest level of basketball.  Why would we want him to be an assistant or even a head coach in the future?  It doesn't sound like he has any interest in that.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2021, 10:54:52 AM »

He didn't like the recruiting game at the highest level of basketball.  Why would we want him to be an assistant or even a head coach in the future?  It doesn't sound like he has any interest in that.

So we can be "Marquette University Basketball brought to you by Miller Lite"
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2021, 10:56:07 AM »

I think it's his personality and long-standing connection to the program. He seems like the kind of guy that would be a coach players would love. And I'm not sure how well people know his feelings on high major recruiting.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2021, 11:00:01 AM »
Travis Has ZERO interest in returning to coaching.  Period.

As for me, Ooze.  Just cuz I miss that guy.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2021, 11:00:44 AM »
I think it's his personality and long-standing connection to the program. He seems like the kind of guy that would be a coach players would love. And I'm not sure how well people know his feelings on high major recruiting.

Also he has a bunch of coaches in his family. But it does sound like he’s not really interested in that path at a D1 level.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2021, 11:12:33 AM »
I'd love to see Jerel back in some capacity. Maybe not as an assistant quite yet.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2021, 11:18:42 AM »
Travis Has ZERO interest in returning to coaching.  Period.

As for me, Ooze.  Just cuz I miss that guy.

He's still standing on the baseline underneath the basket.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2021, 11:40:19 AM »
Otule.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2021, 11:53:15 AM »

He’s a white guy from Wisconsin who was good and scrappy
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2021, 12:03:26 PM »
He’s a white guy from Wisconsin who was good and scrappy

A real gym rat.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2021, 12:22:03 PM »
As far as others, I would say Diener is a no. From what I hear he has no interest whatsoever in D1 coaching.

I don't think this is as true as we think it is. I don't think Diener has any interest in being a DOBO again.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2021, 12:25:56 PM »
I don't think this is as true as we think it is. I don't think Diener has any interest in being a DOBO again.

Didn't like the dirtiness of recruiting.

Imma gonna start calling you Chris Davis.  Your batting average in the last week has been below the Mendoza line.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2021, 12:34:21 PM »

Was he a DOBO? Or was he DPP? I don't think DOBOs are allowed to recruit, are they?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2021, 12:48:29 PM »

Everything I heard was recruiting related. He might look at D3 or lower levels, but I think D1 recruiting is something he doesn't want a part of.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2021, 12:51:21 PM »
Everything I heard was recruiting related. He might look at D3 or lower levels, but I think D1 recruiting is something he doesn't want a part of.

I'm confused. I thought he wasn't a part of that in his other position anyways?
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2021, 12:52:26 PM »
I'm confused. I thought he wasn't a part of that in his other position anyways?

Doesn’t mean he didn’t see how the sausage is made and decided he didn’t want to pursue a career as an assistant.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2021, 12:57:28 PM »
Doesn’t mean he didn’t see how the sausage is made and decided he didn’t want to pursue a career as an assistant.

Makes sense.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2021, 12:59:14 PM »
Didn't like the dirtiness of recruiting.

Imma gonna start calling you Chris Davis.  Your batting average in the last week has been below the Mendoza line.

I'm just happy to be in the majors Ziggy.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2021, 01:15:02 PM »
Can coach bigs
Can coach shooting
Can coach defense
Has played in the league

Key word being SPIRIT?
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2021, 03:07:48 PM »
Yep
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2021, 06:55:35 PM »

feedback