Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU coaching candidates  (Read 91429 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: MU coaching candidates
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2021, 01:51:13 PM »
The Athletic's Brian Hamilton on what's next. Sounds like he hangs out here:

Marquette certainly could be a match for John Beilein in many ways. Not giving Loyola Chicago's Porter Moser a call would verge on malpractice. Here's guessing head coach experience will be imperative this time, so names like Dennis Gates, Ritchie McKay, Wes Miller or Craig Smith could enter the mix.

Full story:
https://theathletic.com/news/marquette-fires-coach-steve-wojciechowski-after-7-seasons/8n9pfGmpb8zj
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:54:48 PM by Pakuni »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2021, 01:51:49 PM »
Herman

I'm with you.

Him or Beilein or Matta. Even if it's just a few years to get us back at least to 2002-2013 level I'll be happy.
Maigh Eo for Sam

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2021, 01:52:29 PM »
Not tailgate related, per se, but I would love to see a guy with some personality who makes the game fun. I remember Crean coming out to see the students waiting in line for games when I was in school, and trying to energize everyone. That kind of experience helped cement my love for MU hoops. Finding a guy who will bring some fun back to the program would be a nice change of pace.
Crean 2000-2003 energy is what I'm looking for coupled with someone who has known to make teams/players play above their individual rankings. If we only average 1 top hundred guy a year, but everyone stays and there is a sustainable program, sign me up for that. We crap on Wisconsin for good reason, but their recruiting and coaching is more sustainable for a non-blue blood.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2021, 01:52:50 PM »
That’s all I know of. Here are a couple of the tweets over time

https://twitter.com/coachingchanges/status/1366582653512728578?s=21

https://twitter.com/coachingchanges/status/1254953386803421184?s=21

I dont know about Sandy Hook, but he also backed out of NKU at the 25th hour over buyout squabbles which rubbed people wrong.

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2021, 01:54:12 PM »
I am in the Rick Pitino for Guaranteed Success Camp.

I don't expect this to happen but it would, to me, single handedly undo the last 7 years. I am so excited for fresh blood right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2021, 01:57:36 PM »
That’d be interesting.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2021, 01:58:55 PM »
I predict MU strikes out on about their first 4 calls and ends up with Wardle.   But I didn't think MU would fire him.    So my guesses suck lately.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

burger

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2021, 01:59:25 PM »
According to BarStool......Brad Stevens wants out in Boston.....(tried to resign twice in the past month)

Indiana would try and back up the Brinks truck......So not likely....

That would be the dream hire.....

onepost

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2021, 02:05:19 PM »
According to BarStool......Brad Stevens wants out in Boston.....(tried to resign twice in the past month)

Indiana would try and back up the Brinks truck......So not likely....

That would be the dream hire.....

Is that you, Mark Titus?

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2021, 02:09:14 PM »
I predict MU strikes out on about their first 4 calls and ends up with Wardle.   But I didn't think MU would fire him.    So my guesses suck lately.
Agree hope we are wrong. Last time First Buzz, left Counzo was not interested, Shaka was the was not, then Rivers got us Wojo. We should call Beilein.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2021, 02:10:03 PM »
Agree hope we are wrong. Last time First Buzz, left Counzo was not interested, Shaka was the was not, then Rivers got us Wojo. We should call Beilein.

Cuonzo was interested. He lost interest when he was told he wasn’t getting the job.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2021, 02:11:57 PM »
Is Shaka in play? He was on the verge of being fired from Texas just last year. Maybe he wants out.

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2021, 02:13:03 PM »
Becky Hammon?

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2021, 02:15:11 PM »
Cuonzo was interested. He lost interest when he was told he wasn’t getting the job.
Happy to hear

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2021, 02:17:41 PM »
Becky Hammon?

I think she has NBA aspirations, and rightly so.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2021, 02:23:03 PM »
I dont know about Sandy Hook, but he also backed out of NKU at the 25th hour over buyout squabbles which rubbed people wrong.

Listen to the passion in his Sandy Hook speech and think about how that translates in the locker room.    He did the right thing by backing out of those other jobs. Shaka backed out of MU.  Doesnt mean he's a bad coach. 

nyg

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2021, 02:25:52 PM »
I am sure the AD had a list of candidates prior to the decision being made and was not a spur of the moment action.

I am hoping the new coach has:

-Head Coaching experience, not as an assistant.

-That the new coach be hired as soon as possible, just like Iowa State just did.  This provides the new coach with an appropriate timeframe to talk to the current core players, the incoming recruits and those players in the transfer portal that were interested in MU.  The current "no sitting out a year" transfer policy is going to wreck havoc on programs and enhance others. 

-Head coach should have major ties to the AAU high school circuit, as well as the important hiring of his assistants, the ones who hit the road.

-Head coach who can teach players not to pass the ball into the stands, at other players feet, actually inbound the ball and how to set a moving pick without committing a personal foul.

-Head coach who has a defensive plan, where constant double teams do not lead to wide open threes. 

Following a coach's termination usually results in few years of mediocrity, I wish the administration all the best in the hiring process.  Not everyone will be happy with the new choice, all I remember was when Buzz was hired I almost hit the floor and contemplating what have they just done.  That choice worked out pretty good while it lasted.   
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:33:38 PM by nyg »

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2021, 02:28:21 PM »
I think she has NBA aspirations, and rightly so.

I also think it might be easier for her to succeed in the NBA environment.

But you never know, Marquette was the first catholic college to admit women back in 1908 (or so).

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2021, 02:30:12 PM »

This must be a hard day for you.

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2021, 02:31:53 PM »
I am sure the AD had a list of candidates prior to the decision being made and was not a spur of the moment action.

-That the new coach be hired as soon as possible, just like Utah just did.  This provides the new coach with an appropriate timeframe to talk to the current core players, the incoming recruits and those players in the transfer portal that were interested in MU.  The current "no sitting out a year" transfer policy is going to wreck havoc on programs and enhance others. 

-Head coach should have major ties to the AAU high school circuit, as well as the important hiring of his assistants, the ones who hit the road.

-Head coach who can teach players not to pass the ball into the stands, at other players feet, actually inbound the ball and how to set a moving pick without committing a personal foul.

-Head coach who has a defensive plan, where constant double teams do not lead to wide open threes. 

Following a coach's termination usually results in few years of mediocrity, I wish the administration all the best in the hiring process.  Not everyone will be happy with the new choice, all I remember was when Buzz was hired I almost hit the floor and contemplating what have they just done.  That choice worked out pretty good while it lasted.

Maybe I missed it, but who did Utah hire? or are you talking about Iowa State?

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2021, 02:32:20 PM »

-That the new coach be hired as soon as possible, just like Utah just did.  This provides the new coach with an appropriate timeframe to talk to the current core players, the incoming recruits and those players in the transfer portal that were interested in MU.  The current "no sitting out a year" transfer policy is going to wreck havoc on programs and enhance others. 

And there's a lot of those guys currently unemployed or compensated less than what MU pays.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2021, 02:33:37 PM »

He's confused, Utah hasn't hired Wojo yet.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2021, 02:34:00 PM »

And I thank you.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2021, 02:48:50 PM »
Moser is not a big swing.

Big swing is:oats, shaka, bennett, or some other successful coach
Never gonna get Shaka or Bennett
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2021, 03:02:00 PM »
I'd rather have Gregg Marshall than Pitino.

Marshall has some baggage, (but what's hitting a player and choking an assistant coach?  Back in Al's day it was considered fiery.)
He got over a $7 million buyout from Wichita State, so he's probably not hurting for cash.  Also still in his 50's.

After his rebuild season at Wichita he averaged 27 wins per season over his last 11 years.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 03:03:57 PM by oldwarrior81 »