[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

How Much Does Wojo need to win next season for you to want him to be retained the following season?

Final Four or Bust
Sweet 16/Win the Big East Regular Season/BET Championship
Win a NCAAT game
High NCAA Seed but first round upset
NCAAT appearance regardless of seed
High ranked recruiting class, he'll eventually figure the coaching part out

Author Topic: What Would It Take for Forgiveness?  (Read 7537 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: What Would It Take for Forgiveness?
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2021, 10:18:18 AM »
I just do not see this magical land of milk and honey scenario next year where Wojo has regular and postseason success, stays at Marquette for the foreseeable future, and we all live happily ever after.  Like, do you honestly think that’s something that could happen (even though you really, really want it to)?

If Wojo has a good year next year, he will try to jump to another job to reset his coaching clock.  Unless he does something crazy like make a Final Four, he’ll be fired the next time he doesn’t make the tournament.  He also will not have Carton and Garcia in 22-23, I think we can all realistically say those guys will go pro after next season.  He can’t afford another rebuild.  For the sake of his own career, he needs to reset his coaching clock as quickly as possible.  He’d do it this year, but I doubt any school would have him.  And think about that:  We have a coach no one wants.

Some coaches think like that. Others don't. I think you underestimate how stubborn and afraid of failure Wojo is. I think he will hang on here until he can he either be viewed as a success or is forced out. We'll see. Personally, I was hoping he would be forced out this season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2021, 10:44:49 AM »
Some coaches think like that. Others don't. I think you underestimate how stubborn and afraid of failure Wojo is. I think he will hang on here until he can he either be viewed as a success or is forced out. We'll see. Personally, I was hoping he would be forced out this season.

Agree with your first comments about Wojo but disagree with part of the following sentence. The clean slate that comes with a new gig allows him to write his own story about his time at Marquette. Afraid of failure, stubborn? Yep. Being (eventually) viewed as a success? That ship has sailed.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2021, 10:54:53 AM »
As per the thread title, forgiving and forgetting are two different things. In life, one can forgive yet still move in a different direction.

The concern many reasonably have is that it wouldn't take all that much "success" for MU to retain him after next season and keep the same discussion going year by year. MU doesn't seem to be concerned by the increased program apathy to this point.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2021, 11:08:17 AM »
Agree about the one system being a weakness.   Especially never having experienced true failure within that system.

If that's the case, Cam and Jake might be in better shape than I imagine  ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2021, 11:47:56 AM »
Actually, you just identified the middle ground. There is "is", "isn't", and "could be". Right now Wojo has pushed practically all of us into the "isn't" category. There's a theoretical performance next season that gets Wojo back into the "could be" category. I'm asking people what that is for them.

Cause I can guarantee you, if Wojo gets a top 4 seed or makes the Sweet 16, he's coming back no mater what anyone thinks of him. He's gone if doesn't make tournament no matter what anyone thinks of him. I don't know where the actual line is in between those two.

You really think he's gone if he doesn't make the tournament next season? What if he wins enough but game attendance is poor (10K or less) per game.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2021, 12:30:02 PM »
You really think he's gone if he doesn't make the tournament next season? What if he wins enough but game attendance is poor (10K or less) per game.

IMO, he is gone either way.  Fired or he has a good year and bolts.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2021, 12:44:05 PM »

To your first question, 100%.

To your second question, if winning enough doesn't solve that than a new coach won't
TAMU

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2021, 12:56:41 PM »

To your second question, if winning enough doesn't solve that than a new coach won't

I really hate to say it but I hope we finish under .500 next season and hope you are right.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2021, 12:58:13 PM »

Wouldn’t be so sure on the second point. Many MU fans have checked out on Wojo and winning some games won’t bring them back. I believe we were ranked in the top 25 and there were very loud boos for Wojo two seasons ago even during that time.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2021, 01:13:45 PM »
Wouldn’t be so sure on the second point. Many MU fans have checked out on Wojo and winning some games won’t bring them back. I believe we were ranked in the top 25 and there were very loud boos for Wojo two seasons ago even during that time.

I should have added just hiring a new coach won't solve it. They would have to hire a new coach and they would need to win enough. I don't see someone uncancelling their season tickets just because we hired a new coach unless it was a huge name.
TAMU

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2021, 03:02:29 PM »
He is incapable of it. Fact.

Spot on. He has proven clearly that he can't coach.

feedback