[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Creighton coach Greg McDermott says he offered to resign  (Read 24891 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Creighton coach Greg McDermott says he offered to resign
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2021, 03:05:15 PM »
I believe the big east has a rule that prohibits players from enrolling at other Big East institutions once they sign their letter of intent with a Big east school. This came up a few years ago when we speculated about a transfer from new Mexico coming to MU but found he couldn't because he had previously signed with butler

Thought that was challenged in the court with Uthoff and they held that you can't enforce school transfer restrictions. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2021, 03:08:57 PM »
Thought that was challenged in the court with Uthoff and they held that you can't enforce school transfer restrictions. 

The Uhoff thing wasn't challenged in court.  The NCAA used to allow coaches to nix transfers to certain schools.  That is no longer the case.  Bo just caved to pressure.

TAMU is talking about a Big East rule - which should probably just go away.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2021, 03:38:10 PM »

Cancel culture just isn't really a thing outside of another way conservatives have turned themselves into the victim-class.

Jay Williams on ESPN said on Wednesday it's a "thing". I'm guessing he isn't a conservative.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2021, 03:41:33 PM »
Jay Williams on ESPN said on Wednesday it's a "thing". I'm guessing he isn't a conservative.

Cool.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2021, 03:52:02 PM »
lol lotta very serious concerns going around.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2021, 03:59:53 PM »

I think you are thinking of Ben Brust. He signed with Iowa and they had a coaching change. Wisconsin wanted him but there was the LOI within the same conference rule. Wisconsin appealed and Brust was able to come to Wisconsin.

That was 2 years before the Uthoff transfer but one of the reasons Bo got heat for his actions.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2021, 04:04:57 PM »

Cuz all blacks look think alike?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2021, 04:22:00 PM »
When in history have the people who ban books and censor speech been the good guys?
Asking for a friencd
I see this all the time. You are confused about what censoring speech is and what it isn't. Being free of repercussions from your speech is an entirely different thing.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2021, 04:23:32 PM »
They do this in all white private catholic schools as well.  Kids are placed in different math classes than their peers based on their grades and abilities starting in fourth grade.  It sets the more mathematically inclined ones up for advancement and highschool AP courses and the others for the regular track.  The mathematically inclined kids benefit nicely and aren’t bored while waiting for others to catch up.  The “normal” kids benefit from not going so fast an learning at a pace that allows them time to absorb the material. Both sets of kids are wildly successful in their studies in high school.  Some kids are just smarter than others in different subjects and need to be challenged.

Yes.  One of my best friend's took calculus as a Freshman at Northwestern in HS and had perfect math board scores.  He also wasn't the only HS Freshman taking college math courses.  He was probably more advanced than our 4th grade teacher when he was 9 yrs old.  He was bored out of his mind in mathematics based subjects until he got into a special advanced group in 7th grade.  So the idea of "how much can a 4th grader really know" whether it be mathematics or a number of other subjects is ludicrous.

In fact, our brains grasp far more information when we are children.  Linguists will tell you that if you raise an average child in a household where there are 20 people speaking 10 different languages they will learn all ten fluently
rather easily.  An average adult would find this nearly impossible.  And math in particular, for those that are born with certain talents, manifests itself in music and chess as examples.  There's much to learn at every age and level, and my friend is not a genius.  So how much can you really learn at 9, 10, 11, 12?  A ton is the answer. 

Cuz all blacks look think alike?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 04:25:50 PM by MuggsyB »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2021, 04:24:20 PM »
Dude!  Dr. Seuss. Cancel culture etc.etc.
The decision to stop publishing those 6 particular Seuss titles was made by his heirs that run the estate...made in 2020, while Drumpf was President FWIW.

Cancel culture is now the catch-all term for any criticism of the right wing.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 08:58:01 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2021, 04:26:24 PM »
Well that settles it then.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2021, 04:29:44 PM »
I see this all the time. You are confused about what censoring speech is and what it isn't. Being free of repercussions from your speech is an entirely different thing.

https://xkcd.com/1357/

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2021, 04:45:46 PM »
Well, I doubt Greg knew what he had coming when this conversation started on scoop...

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2021, 05:08:23 PM »
The decision to stop publishing those 6 particular Seuss was made be his heirs that run the estate...made in 2020, while Drumpf was President FWIW.

So the SF schoolboard getting rid of all school names with Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln in the title is  a "criticism of the right wing"?   There have been many people "canceled" that are not "right wing".  Ask Diane Feinstein.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2021, 05:20:18 PM »
The decision to stop publishing those 6 particular Seuss was made be his heirs that run the estate...made in 2020, while Drumpf was President FWIW.

This. The Seuss estate asked to remove the books. The imagery is pretty bad.

I love seeing people ordering Seuss books now. Your kids are 10 and 7, you should’ve had Green Eggs and Ham by now. Don’t pretend that you read to your kids now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2021, 05:22:28 PM »
This. The Seuss estate asked to remove the books. The imagery is pretty bad.

I love seeing people ordering Seuss books now. Your kids are 10 and 7, you should’ve had Green Eggs and Ham by now. Don’t pretend that you read to your kids now.

Wait until all the people hurrying to buy their Dr. Seuss books find out that Planned Parenthood is one of the organizations benefitting financially from the Dr. Seuss Fund.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2021, 05:41:29 PM »

Care to elaborate?  Repercussions are one thing banning speech you don't agree with is quite another

when you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world you are afraid of what he might say.  George R.R.Martin
  As for Shouting racist  instead of engaging contrary ideas   Socrates opined " When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of losers"  We are seeing far too much shouting down and canceling to be healthy

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2021, 06:50:33 PM »
Using Defector or Deadspin headlines or content as a barometer for something “woke” is as bad as using OANN or Fox News. Equally hysterical and heavy handed, just opposite sides of the spectrum.  If anyone in a position of power is using that to temper their sentiment or opinion on your words/actions and as a result your employment, you’re probably better off elsewhere anyways

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2021, 06:55:46 PM »
Wojo to Creighton?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2021, 07:01:40 PM »
   Care to elaborate?  Repercussions are one thing banning speech you don't agree with is quite another

when you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world you are afraid of what he might say.  George R.R.Martin
  As for Shouting racist  instead of engaging contrary ideas   Socrates opined " When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of losers"  We are seeing far too much shouting down and canceling to be healthy

Sorry, but instead of quoting people in an attempt to sound wise, please tell me whose tongue is getting cut out here.  And what "debate" are we actually having.  Whether using the word plantation is a good idea?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2021, 07:20:42 PM »
If I were a mod I'd use cancel culture to cancel this thread.

Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2021, 07:23:23 PM »
If I were a mod I'd use cancel culture to cancel this thread.

You must have voted for Biden
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2021, 07:27:37 PM »

I guess Jay was talking about House Republicans' attempts to cancel Liz Cheney and the NC GOP caucus canceling Richard Burr.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2021, 07:43:38 PM »
Wait until all the people hurrying to buy their Dr. Seuss books find out that Planned Parenthood is one of the organizations benefitting financially from the Dr. Seuss Fund.
And that Theodor Geisel was very much anti "America First" as he saw it as aiding, at a minimum, the fascism occurring in Germany at the time and reviled the fact we were not taking refugees across our boarders. But yeah, the image of that Asian guy running down Mulberry Street with the slanted eyes, bowl of noodles, and chopsticks is something I want to defend in2021.