[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting Priorities  (Read 6334 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Recruiting Priorities
« on: March 03, 2021, 07:08:07 PM »
1)  Playmakers/Creators

2) Athletes/Switchables/Elevator Boys

3) Spot shooters

We've gotten pushed around and abused off the bounce for far too long.  I look at formidable college teams and they all have a greater stash of weapons and pieces that complement each other.  We need to identify these needs and change our recruiting priorities.  When was the last time we had a JYD?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:10:38 PM by MuggsyB »

goldeneagle91114

• All American
Re: Recruiting Priorities
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 07:18:37 PM »
Priority #1 - entirely new coach & coaching staff

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 07:20:40 PM »
1)  Playmakers/Creators

2) Athletes/Switchables/Elevator Boys

3) Spot shooters
You mean every position on a college basketball team?

You also forgot a big man once we lose Theo “Hashtag” John.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 07:26:09 PM »
Priority #1 - entirely new coach & coaching staff

I was hoping we can focus on specific type of players.  We do have a few pieces but can we get back to establishing some toughness and consistency on the defensive end?  I think it has to start on that end of the floor. 

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 07:36:23 PM »
Next year right now, pretty soft team, Aidoo is tall and lean like Garcia, who has no hops. Has he dunked this year? Cain will be missed as he has some rebounding ability as a small forward is tall.  If you only have Perez, that would be a problem.  Transfers that play 2 guard or small forward are probably abundant. Hopefully some athletic players as well as maybe a few leave the program.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 07:39:22 PM »
Next year right now, pretty soft team, Aidoo is tall and lean like Garcia, who has no hops. Has he dunked this year? Cain will be missed as he has some rebounding ability as a small forward is tall.  If you only have Perez, that would be a problem.  Transfers that play 2 guard or small forward are probably abundant. Hopefully some athletic players as well as maybe a few leave the program.

This is what I'm getting at and there's really no getting around it BC:  We have been soft and it's cost us dearly.  I'd like to find some Marcus Smart type players.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 07:48:17 PM »
Are recruiting priorities different than the recruiting needs thread you started?

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=61237.msg1297234#msg1297234
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 07:50:40 PM »
Two playmaking combo guards signed.

One 7 footer signed

6'8 slasher, final 3
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 07:52:15 PM »
Are recruiting priorities different than the recruiting needs thread you started?

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=61237.msg1297234#msg1297234

No.  Fair point. 

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 07:52:19 PM »
I was hoping we can focus on specific type of players.  We do have a few pieces but can we get back to establishing some toughness and consistency on the defensive end?  I think it has to start on that end of the floor.

We need to replace the Koby and Cain roles with legit high level D1 players. Someone with NBA potential like a Mane or Suggs. We can get by with what we have down low. 

If Carton stays I think two playmakers on the outside and Garcia and Lewis on the inside we will be in good shape. My next concern is the bench. I haven’t seen much from Perez, Akanno, Sy or Oso to feel we have a solid 7-10 spots.  Elliot next year would be a good sixth man if we have a solid 2-3.

I think having the 4-5 with Lewis and Garcia gives us a potential mismatch. If they try to cover either with big then that one plays outside.  If they cover with a forward then take them down low.

In short my wish list is
1. 2 Guard - I would love the next Wade but the next DJO, McNeal or Vander would be fine.
2. 3 guard - the next Wes would do
3. Solid bench strength - someone who can play a solid 10-20minutes and hold their own. One guard and one big - Mitchell and Aidoo hopefully fill these roles next year. I think Kam will likely be 10 or 11
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:56:50 PM by BallBoy »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 08:07:08 PM »
I think Kam will be better than the 10th or 11th man because of his length.  Watching Villy, they all have solid builds, need a player or two like there’s. I would be happy if a transfer is a center, not sold at all on Oso, way to skinny at least 2 years away.  The rest of the bench are all mid-major players.  I could see 3 transfers if somebody leaves

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 10:24:24 PM »
I like Kam's ball handling and defense. His shot and finishing ability are....works in progress. In a perfect world, I think he redshirts as a frosh
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 10:50:45 PM »
I like Kam's ball handling and defense. His shot and finishing ability are....works in progress. In a perfect world, I think he redshirts as a frosh

I do not think with the talent coming back, he can not beat out any of those mid-major subs they have this year, MU will be really in trouble. The 3 recruits coming need to play.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 12:23:55 PM »
I think Kam will be better than the 10th or 11th man because of his length.  Watching Villy, they all have solid builds, need a player or two like there’s. I would be happy if a transfer is a center, not sold at all on Oso, way to skinny at least 2 years away.  The rest of the bench are all mid-major players.  I could see 3 transfers if somebody leaves

Every year we have 1 or two players who people over-inflate in terms of talent. This year it was Dexter. When you watch him play in the game you can tell his mind doesn’t have full control of his body yet. I see him as similar to Sacar where he might be good in years 3-4.

Kam is also a work in progress. His form on his shot is awkward so I feel he will need 2 years to rebuild that, build up his body, and learn the college game. He, in my mind, follows the same mold as Dexter and Sacar.

Oso is also a work in progress with unreal expectations. He needs to add weight and develop.

With what is scheduled to comeback, I don’t see all three current recruits being able to contribute right away and one or two will be glued to the bench.

Carton
Lewis
Garcia
Sy
Elliott
Dexter
Oso
Perez

Throw in Mitchell and Aidoo. That puts Kam at 10-11. Throw in another high end player he is at 11-12. With his shot form needing work and him being a freshman, I don’t see him taking time from multi-year college players like Dexter or Perez. Oso and Aidoo will be backups to Lewis and Dawson.

If people transfer that will change the game.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 12:29:18 PM »
We need a switchable that can handle the ball. Kordell Charles would fit that mold (6'8", 210). Post injuries the hype train seems to hvae left the station, but he is a damn good player on a good IMG team.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2021, 12:59:19 PM »
We need a switchable that can handle the ball. Kordell Charles would fit that mold (6'8", 210). Post injuries the hype train seems to hvae left the station, but he is a damn good player on a good IMG team.

Have you seen him play?  More important then being a switchable, can he hit an open 3?  Right now MU needs somebody to replace Cain and he had lots of
opportunities for open shots.  Cain was just to inconsistent at times this year, but did a good job on the boards.  Defense improved during the year as well.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 03:37:35 PM »

i think Stevie Mitchell is an interesting player coming in.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2021, 11:02:26 AM »
i think Stevie Mitchell is an interesting player coming in.

Me too.

panda

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2021, 11:10:02 AM »
Me too.

I like the guys coming in next year as well, but the question is whether or not they have the skill set to improve this team right away. I don't see it happening next year for any of the new guys. Too many limitations, which is normal for freshmen, but it's unfair to expect these guys to greatly improve the team next season.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2021, 12:09:08 PM »
We need new coaching who can coach/teach players to be better. We especially need a new HC who can game coach to win games. Wojo is clueless how to change tempo during a game. We need coaches who can motivate and fire up players to attack the whole game. We can get all the talent in the world but if they're "coached down," we'll continue to be mediocre.  Besides coaching we need to recruit dominant personality players with minds and bodies to compete. Wojo recruits too many kids that are immature.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2021, 07:34:58 AM »
Meanwhile, Tyrese Hunter is a state champion. Woj shoulda offered when MU wuz his dream school. Another fook up bye Woj, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2021, 07:41:11 AM »
Meanwhile, Tyrese Hunter is a state champion. Woj shoulda offered when MU wuz his dream school. Another fook up bye Woj, aina?

He offered and was recruited and there was still room for him when he committed to ISU.  Stevie Mitchell seemed to be the preference and he is putting up big numbers and leading his team deep into the Pennsylvania state tournament.  Perhaps you haven't been paying attention.  Time will tell if that was a mistake.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2021, 07:48:18 AM »

We'll see. Mitchell might be twice the player, half the player, or somewhere in between.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2021, 07:51:45 AM »
We need to replace the Koby and Cain roles with legit high level D1 players. Someone with NBA potential like a Mane or Suggs.

So rather than 3/4-stars, you are suggesting we bring in 5-stars. I also endorse that!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2021, 07:56:27 AM »
What if we and Iowa St.send our coaches to Siberia?