'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East NCAA Tournament Thread 20-21 Season  (Read 41600 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Big East NCAA Tournament Thread 20-21 Season
« on: March 03, 2021, 08:30:06 AM »
MU is currently 10th in the Big East Standings. Which means we would play the 7 season in the first round of the Big East Tournament. Currently , The Johnnies and Cooley & Company occupy the 6th and 7th positions. Things are very tight though so it will be interesting to see how things play out.

I do not know what the pairings are after the first round. I would assume the winner of 7 and 10 plays the second seed but do not know for sure. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 07:22:17 PM by Herman Cain »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Big East Tournament Thread 20-21 Season
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 09:24:48 AM »
MU is currently 10th in the Big East Standings. Which means we would play the 7 season in the first round of the Big East Tournament. Currently , The Johnnies and Cooley & Company occupy the 6th and 7th positions. Things are very tight though so it will be interesting to see how things play out.

I do not know what the pairings are after the first round. I would assume the winner of 7 and 10 plays the second seed but do not know for sure.

You're correct.

1 plays 8/9
2 plays  7/10
3 plays 6/11
4 plays 5

I think we end up in the 8/9 game with Georgetown
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

panda

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 09:34:06 AM »
You're correct.

1 plays 8/9
2 plays  7/10
3 plays 6/11
4 plays 5

Say what you want about Ewing but the guy is a good coach. His teams have improved from their starting point most of his years.

Player retention and the understanding of 365 nature of the college game has been his issue.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 12:45:36 PM »
It would be great if we could maintain the 10 position. If we can win the first game , I like our chances against Creighton versus having to play Villanova.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 01:12:07 PM »
We'll get a clearer picture of our possibilities after tonight's Providence-St. John's game, but I think TAMU will end up being right about us playing in the 8/9 game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 01:17:51 PM »

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 01:24:41 PM »
You're correct.

1 plays 8/9
2 plays  7/10
3 plays 6/11
4 plays 5

You think we beat X?

I am pretty sure we are 10 if we lose to X.

Which means, we should tank. Just give us some sort of a shot at MSG.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 02:56:58 PM »
You think we beat X?

I am pretty sure we are 10 if we lose to X.

Which means, we should tank. Just give us some sort of a shot at MSG.

If we lose and Butler loses at Creighton (which is likely), we would finish tied for 9th with Butler and we would have the tiebreaker based on our 2 wins over them. So even a loss probably wouldn't get the preferred BET scenario.

But even if it would ...

How would you like Marquette to go about "tanking"? Are you saying that Wojo should bench DJ, Garcia and Lewis? That the guys who do play should only shoot with their opposite hands? That our guys should wear blindfolds all game? That we should send Jamal, Theo and Koby off on senior day by trying to lose?

If we have proven one thing this season, it's that we don't have to TRY to lose. It happens naturally often enough.

If you were being sarcastic, well, then never mind to all of the above.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 03:12:54 PM by MU82 »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 03:00:23 PM »
Reminder - Creighton gets the one seed if they beat Nova and Butler this week.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 03:12:27 PM »
This team has not won 3 games in a row all season.  They aren't winning 4 games in 4 days.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 03:39:28 PM »
If we lose and Butler loses at Creighton (which is likely), we would finish tied for 9th with Butler and we would have the tiebreaker based on our 2 wins over them. So even a loss probably wouldn't get the preferred BET scenario.

But even if it would ...

How would you like Marquette to go about "tanking"? Are you saying that Wojo should bench DJ, Garcia and Lewis? That the guys who do play should only shoot with their opposite hands? That our guys should wear blindfolds all game? That we should send Jamal, Theo and Koby off on senior day by trying to lose?

If we have proven one thing this season, it's that we don't have to TRY to lose. It happens naturally often enough.

If you were being sarcastic, well, then never mind to all of the above.

Butler is 8-11. We are 7-11.

Losses by both of us has them as .5 better thanks to them finishing their games.

Wasn't really sarcastic, just an simple point we shouldnt really care to win that game of all games. And X sucks. So yeah, the best way to increase the liklihood that we don't pull it out would be to let Perez/Dex/Sy/Koby all play together for long periods.

Maybe pull a Uconn and go 5 minutes between timeouts with the wrong lineups.

You're right, we naturally could just bomb. But also as exhibited by all our close games(aside from Uconn and NOva who are terrible match ups) we can also somehow luck our way into wins and/or thrillers. Hell, we have somehow managed to win 6 road games.

Fortunately we suck at home, I say play dead. Take a run at Creightons path. End result will be the same, but still more optimistic.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 03:49:47 PM »
I think as Marquette fans, we should root for Creighton to beat Nova tonight.  Because if my understanding is correct, with a 2-0 week, Creighton gets the #1 seed and Nova #2.  And our chances of being in the 8/9 game are much higher than being in 7/10 game. That means if we're lucky enough to win next Wednesday afternoon, we get Creighton instead of Nova on Thursday afternoon.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 10:14:57 PM »
Fortunately we suck at home, I say play dead. Take a run at Creightons path. End result will be the same, but still more optimistic.

I'm more of a win the game in front of you and let the pieces fall were they may guy. Sure I get the strategy of wanting to be on Creighton's side, but barring a miracle we're not winning the BET either way so I'll take the enjoyment of a win to end the regular season.

Another part of my also wants to end up on Nova's side, just in hopes that...*TRIGGER WARNING* The following is not me suggesting that this will happen, is likely to happen, is probable to happen, is plausible to happen, or even that there is even a tiny chance of this to happen. It is just discussing a theoretical college basketball situation because this is a college basketball forum and that's what we do here *END TRIGGER WARNING*...Marquette could do the unthinkable and beat X, beat Georgetown, beat Nova, beat SJU/HALL, and then lose in the final (likely to CREI/UCONN) because that would create a fascinating case study for the tournament selection committee. Historically, they have not put much weight on conference tournament wins. However, that would push us to 16-14, not a great record, but one you could justify putting in the tournament with the right resume. If current NET groupings hold, that series of wins would give as a Q1 record of 5-8 and Q2 record of 5-5, more Q1/Q2 wins than almost anyone on the bubble. It would be interesting to see how they treated a resume like that.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 10:29:23 PM »
I'm more of a win the game in front of you and let the pieces fall were they may guy. Sure I get the strategy of wanting to be on Creighton's side, but barring a miracle we're not winning the BET either way so I'll take the enjoyment of a win to end the regular season.

Another part of my also wants to end up on Nova's side, just in hopes that...*TRIGGER WARNING* The following is not me suggesting that this will happen, is likely to happen, is probable to happen, is plausible to happen, or even that there is even a tiny chance of this to happen. It is just discussing a theoretical college basketball situation because this is a college basketball forum and that's what we do here *END TRIGGER WARNING*...Marquette could do the unthinkable and beat X, beat Georgetown, beat Nova, beat SJU/HALL, and then lose in the final (likely to CREI/UCONN) because that would create a fascinating case study for the tournament selection committee. Historically, they have not put much weight on conference tournament wins. However, that would push us to 16-14, not a great record, but one you could justify putting in the tournament with the right resume. If current NET groupings hold, that series of wins would give as a Q1 record of 5-8 and Q2 record of 5-5, more Q1/Q2 wins than almost anyone on the bubble. It would be interesting to see how they treated a resume like that.

Yeah I mean, I am someone who has said many times that "tanking" in a sport where you dont play for draft picks is idiotic. So overall it was mostly a joke anyways. But just would allow me to tease myself with prospects of a run next week a bit more.

Then again, with CG down maybe Nova would be off their game and are the play. Ha.

And Uconn is probably now the team we'd most wanna avoid anyways.

So I am back on the beat X train! Lets see try and see your wild scenario play out!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 10:54:24 PM »
Butler is 8-11. We are 7-11.

Losses by both of us has them as .5 better thanks to them finishing their games.

Wasn't really sarcastic, just an simple point we shouldnt really care to win that game of all games. And X sucks. So yeah, the best way to increase the liklihood that we don't pull it out would be to let Perez/Dex/Sy/Koby all play together for long periods.

Maybe pull a Uconn and go 5 minutes between timeouts with the wrong lineups.

You're right, we naturally could just bomb. But also as exhibited by all our close games(aside from Uconn and NOva who are terrible match ups) we can also somehow luck our way into wins and/or thrillers. Hell, we have somehow managed to win 6 road games.

I looked right at the standings and could swear I saw both at 7-11 ... but obviously you are right.

Management regrets the error.

My main point remains the same: Go Marquette. Just beat X.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 11:14:46 PM »
Historically, they have not put much weight on conference tournament wins.

Yeah, it seems that way and I’m convinced the bracket is pretty much set in stone by about Thursday/Friday. There’s no way they are making a bracket for each of the different scenarios for what happens during one last game. Too many logistical headaches. It’ll be too late I think for at large. We won’t be in the discussion during the initial bracketing which will effectively eliminate us when the committee first meets.

Although, it should be much less work for the committee this year though as they don’t have to account for locations and protected seeds as much. It should be a pretty fairly seeded tournament.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 04:44:08 AM »
If Gillespie is out for the tournament , more teams may have a legitimate shot at winning the championship
                       ---Al McGuire

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2021, 05:58:54 AM »
Based on how he looked on the bench last night and Wright’s comments that his injury was “serious” I think Gillespie being out for the BET is more likely than not. I just hope he’s able to return for the NCAA, but even that is in serious doubt.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2021, 10:17:19 AM »
Villanova suddenly looks much more beatable.  Still a long shot, but definitely possible without Gillaspie.

Current standings:
Nova 11-3
Creighton 13-6
UCONN 10-6
Seton Hall 10-8
SJU 9-9
Xavier 6-6
Gtown 7-8
PC 8-10
Butler 8-11
Marquette 7-11
Depaul 2-13

Game remaining and favored result:
Gtown @ UCONN (UCONN W)
Nova @ PC (Nova W)
Butler @ Creighton (Creighton W)
Seton Hall @ SJU (Seton Hall W)
Xavier @ Marquette (Marquette W)

Expected standings:
Nova 12-3
Creighton 14-6
UCONN 11-6
Seton Hall 11-8
SJU 9-10 (.471)
Xavier 6-7 (.461)
Gtown 7-9 (.4375)
PC 8-11 (.421)
Marquette 8-11 (.421)
Butler 8-12
Depaul 2-13

In that scenario (which includes all favored teams winning), how are X, Gtown, PC and Marquette seeded? I assume its by winning %, and if that is the case, we tie for the 8 seed with PC, lose the tiebreaker, and play them in the 8/9 game. 

If we lose to X, we'll get the 10 seed and likely draw SJU at the Garden.

None of those scenarios are great IMO, but I guess it doesn't really matter.  Going to have to win some tough games obviously. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2021, 10:51:17 AM »
Selfishly, I would love a scenario that we beat X and still end up with the 10 seed as I am going to be on plane for the majority  8/9 vs. 1 seed game. I think the only way that is possible is Butler beating Creighton which seems unlikely. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2021, 11:00:40 AM »
Selfishly, I would love a scenario that we beat X and still end up with the 10 seed as I am going to be on plane for the majority  8/9 vs. 1 seed game. I think the only way that is possible is Butler beating Creighton which seems unlikely.

Butler has had a few interesting wins (including over Creighton) and Creighton has had a few head-scratching losses (including to Butler), so who knows?

The BU-CU game is earlier, so we'll know before tip if our game has the potential to change the standings at all.

I'll want Marquette to win regardless.

1. Because I always want Marquette to win.

2. With no Gillespie, Nova might be easier to beat than Creighton. Or might not. Just gotta play and win!

We Are Marquette!

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2021, 09:29:31 PM »
Butler has had a few interesting wins (including over Creighton) and Creighton has had a few head-scratching losses (including to Butler), so who knows?

The BU-CU game is earlier, so we'll know before tip if our game has the potential to change the standings at all.

I'll want Marquette to win regardless.

1. Because I always want Marquette to win.

2. With no Gillespie, Nova might be easier to beat than Creighton. Or might not. Just gotta play and win!

We Are Marquette!

You are correct that the only way for MU to get the 9 seed is to beat Xavier and have Butler lose to Creighton.

I have seen a summary of the 32 possible outcomes of the 5 games on Saturday and, although MU can only get either the 9 or 10 seed, their possible first round opponents include Georgetown and Providence (the most likely candidates) plus Xavier, Butler, and St. John’s. Those three only come in to play if there are surprises like Butler over Creighton and/or Georgetown over UConn.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2021, 09:33:19 PM »
Don't we want the 9 spot because of the unfortunate Gillespie injury? 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2021, 09:38:36 PM »
Don't we want the 9 spot because of the unfortunate Gillespie injury?

Who knows

Creighton doesnt have a coach.

Uconns to lose. I say we wanna avoid them so I guess 9 it is.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2021, 09:43:07 PM »
Who knows

Creighton doesnt have a coach.

Uconns to lose. I say we wanna avoid them so I guess 9 it is.

True....

Believe it or not we have a punchers chance. 

feedback