[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Personal Pride  (Read 6373 times)

5DollarPitcher

• All American
Re: Personal Pride
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2021, 07:00:44 PM »
Is it a possible that he isn't a quitter, and he believes in himself  and he thinks he has the ability to turn things around.

If he did what you suggest, everyone here would say they wouldn't want him since he was a quitter.
So heroic! Wow. What heart and grit! Steve Wojo - never a quitter! Willing to drive a storied program all the way to the bottom of the Big East for a modest $2 million! But don’t worry - he’ll never quit on you - the MU fans!

You sound ridiculous.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2021, 07:08:16 PM »
So heroic! Wow. What heart and grit! Steve Wojo - never a quitter! Willing to drive a storied program all the way to the bottom of the Big East for a modest $2 million! But don’t worry - he’ll never quit on you - the MU fans!

You sound ridiculous.

Does he sound more ridiculous than starting a thread asking if a high major head basketball coach will go to the BOT and tell them, “You know what? I’m not going to be fired, but I’m not doing well enough so here you go. I’m resigning because I don’t deserve what I’m getting paid.” Which is more ridiculous?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2021, 07:09:40 PM »

You sound ridiculous.

Sorry, don't follow your point.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2021, 07:11:12 PM »
Does he sound more ridiculous than starting a thread asking if a high major head basketball coach will go to the BOT and tell them, “You know what? I’m not going to be fired, but I’m not doing well enough so here you go. I’m resigning because I don’t deserve what I’m getting paid.” Which is more ridiculous?
I never said one was more ridiculous than the other. Nice strawman, though. Can always count on you.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2021, 07:12:07 PM »
I’ll make sure to use teal next time since you’ve now revealed you are a simpleton. My mistake.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2021, 07:43:28 PM »

Don’t worry. No one does.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TheGoldenBreakdown

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2021, 07:59:48 PM »
Postal Workers and Public School teachers don't perform? Is this parody?

Same thought here. Pretty gross thing to say

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2021, 06:09:07 AM »
Or does he have the conscience and accountability of a postal worker or a public school teacher and keep taking the money while not performing? Or is the money just too much?

Am I allowed to say "f*** you" to another poster without getting banned?

Doing it anyway...f*** you!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2021, 06:20:50 AM »
I do think there’s a strong possibility he walks.

Walks to another job.

He will have zero job security at this point and further disappointment will hurt his future employability.

Finding a new job this off-season will give him far more job security than he will ever have at MU again.
So.....you are saying there is still a chance?
Hope he has the old PowerPoint updated

I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2021, 06:23:45 AM »
This.  It’s not Wojo’s fault for not winning.  It’s our fault for not understanding what he’s trying to do.  If we would all just really look closely at the situation, really look around the landscape of college basketball to see what was going on, we’d understand what a great job Wojo is doing here.  All of our misfortunes have been caused by poorly timed injuries and bad luck, and if you could only understand that he can’t recruit the types of players other schools go after because MU’s standards are stricter than that, well, when you think about it our record is pretty remarkable given all those restrictions and injuries and bad luck, and Wojo, now that you mention it, really has done a fantastic job here.  We just can’t see it, and that’s on us.
Well.....thanks for clearing all those misconceptions up
Wojo-Dukiet walks on water. We just can't see him walking because of the mist around him.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2021, 06:27:45 AM »
Or he could have just called him on the phone.

The idea that MU set up this trip so Wojo could talk face to face with K is...interesting.
Another great perk for Wojo-Dukiet, getting job advice face to face with K on MUs dime. Wojo has a 2nd calling  master charader

panda

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2021, 06:32:29 AM »
So.....you are saying there is still a chance?
Hope he has the old PowerPoint updated

After this season MU will offer him and extension for recruiting purposes (like they always have). However, I’m sure this extension will make it much less of a financial burden on the school to fire him after the following season.

Wojo can acknowledge that and comb through his options elsewhere following this season where he can sign on with another school for much more long term stability.

Or stay at MU for one more season and further hamper his future employability. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2021, 08:57:41 AM »
Back to the OP - at least the part dealing with Wojo rather than postal workers and teachers ...

I'm with Doc. Coaches have massive egos and they love their massive paydays.

Any coach who is deemed worthy of a D1 job is confident bordering on cocky. If his program is struggling, he thinks he is 1 or 2 recruits - and/or 1 or 2 years - away from turning things around, no matter how big a shyteshow it is. And he thinks he is the one person who can get it done. It's simply how coaches are wired - THAT is their "personal pride."

I mean, there has been a lot of talk about Porter Moser here. Just look at his first 13 years as a college head coach, including his first 6 years at Loyola. Apparently, some Scoopers think all that mediocrity would have driven him to simply quit, to walk away in shame.

Can anybody name 3 D1 head coaches in the last 50 years who have resigned because - as the OP put it - "he has not succeeded to the degree that his compensation warrants"?

I can't think of one, but I'll allow that maybe a couple have and my memory is failing me.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2021, 09:36:03 AM »
Back to the OP - at least the part dealing with Wojo rather than postal workers and teachers ...

Any coach who is deemed worthy of a D1 job is confident bordering on cocky. If his program is struggling, he thinks he is 1 or 2 recruits - and/or 1 or 2 years - away from turning things around, no matter how big a shyteshow it is. And he thinks he is the one person who can get it done. It's simply how coaches are wired - THAT is their "personal pride."

I mean, there has been a lot of talk about Porter Moser here. Just look at his first 13 years as a college head coach, including his first 6 years at Loyola. Apparently, some Scoopers think all that mediocrity would have driven him to simply quit, to walk away in shame.

Can anybody name 3 D1 head coaches in the last 50 years who have resigned because - as the OP put it - "he has not succeeded to the degree that his compensation warrants"?

I can't think of one, but I'll allow that maybe a couple have and my memory is failing me.

Al, he thought he should have been paid more and that was before he won the National Championship.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2021, 10:43:15 AM »

No, but the coaching carousel usually has a few coaches that are jumping a year before they get fired. Purcell, Stallings, and even Dixon jumped to a safer situation in advance of being fired. I think that’s the scenario we could see here.

In non-pandemic times, he’d have a real chance of being fired after this season. If the only extension comes with a severely reduced buyout and the understanding we are moving on unless we are a NCAAT 5 seed or above, Big East Conference or BET title, or Sweet Sixteen run, I could see him wanting to move.

If a season like 2017 where we squeaked into the NCAAT would get him let go, I think the prudent move would be to jump to a BC type of job. Get them to the tourney once or twice and he could have rebuilt his brand. I don’t know that another lackluster season and being fired at MU sets himself up well for future opportunities.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2021, 11:24:15 AM »

Gary Anderson, he did it at Oregon State and Utah State.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2021, 05:44:23 PM »
My apologies. I was in a foul mood because of the game and picked those jobs to bust a couple of friends. I don't demean any honest worker. My sister and mother were school teachers.  I regret the lapse in judgment.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2021, 05:51:15 PM »
No, but the coaching carousel usually has a few coaches that are jumping a year before they get fired. Purcell, Stallings, and even Dixon jumped to a safer situation in advance of being fired. I think that’s the scenario we could see here.

In non-pandemic times, he’d have a real chance of being fired after this season. If the only extension comes with a severely reduced buyout and the understanding we are moving on unless we are a NCAAT 5 seed or above, Big East Conference or BET title, or Sweet Sixteen run, I could see him wanting to move.

If a season like 2017 where we squeaked into the NCAAT would get him let go, I think the prudent move would be to jump to a BC type of job. Get them to the tourney once or twice and he could have rebuilt his brand. I don’t know that another lackluster season and being fired at MU sets himself up well for future opportunities.

Thanks for your reasonable, insightful response. The OP expects coaches with "personal pride" to just resign, give back their money and chill out.

Gary Anderson, he did it at Oregon State and Utah State.

Thanks. There's one, apparently.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2021, 06:07:51 PM »
My apologies. I was in a foul mood because of the game and picked those jobs to bust a couple of friends. I don't demean any honest worker. My sister and mother were school teachers.  I regret the lapse in judgment.
Fair, done, over for me.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2021, 08:08:41 PM »

I appreciate the apology.

If there's one thing I've learned in the last few years in Wisconsin, it's to not let my emotions get the better of me post-sports-loss.  Well...at least I've learned that I shouldn't.   Haven't yet figured out how!

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2021, 03:26:36 PM »
Of course MU didn’t play UNC just so Wojo could have a face to face with K.  But it wouldn’t surprise me if, since Wojo happened to be there, they had an extended chat behind closed doors at some point.

You did see that Marquette practiced at the Duke facility before heading to Connecticut?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1365374354175975426

I'd guess there was communication with Coach K.  Unless Wojo never turned in his set of keys when he left.

feedback