[Today at 09:44:45 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Good to see JLew back  (Read 3119 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Good to see JLew back
« on: February 27, 2021, 03:39:47 PM »
Rough game overall but it's nice to see the young man on the floor. However our guards can't get destroyed like we saw this afternoon.  Disappointing day.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 03:43:59 PM by MuggsyB »

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
Re: Good to see JLew back
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 03:42:01 PM »
He can play. Excited to see him get a full offseason in and hopefully stay healthy. With some consistency in his stroke, the sky is the limit.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 03:42:19 PM »
Symir was the high scorer among our guards.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 04:24:15 PM »
Give UConn credit, they did not let Carton go left all the time. But you saw  Cole who has a little stop jumper that Carton needs to go to the next. Do not like that MU defensive let Boutright go right continuously, UConn could do some damage in the tournament.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 04:43:46 PM »
Give UConn credit, they did not let Carton go left all the time. But you saw  Cole who has a little stop jumper that Carton needs to go to the next. Do not like that MU defensive let Boutright go right continuously, UConn could do some damage in the tournament.

Their guards were great today. but was it because of our matador D?  Bouk will get a look at the nba level.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 04:48:30 PM »
I still go back to the 5:30 uninterrupted play stretch.    Wojo clearly should have used a timeout.    Prior to that, MU was playing solid D.   High pick and roll, quick hedge with the guard and the big then quickly recovering to their man.     Those 5 minutes allowed UConn to get their feet under them and find their shooting eye.   DJ, Greg on the bench.    Granted, after those two early threes, Greg didn't do anything either.     Once Cole and Bouknight started rolling, forget it.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 05:16:35 PM »
I still go back to the 5:30 uninterrupted play stretch.    Wojo clearly should have used a timeout.    Prior to that, MU was playing solid D.   High pick and roll, quick hedge with the guard and the big then quickly recovering to their man.     Those 5 minutes allowed UConn to get their feet under them and find their shooting eye.   DJ, Greg on the bench.    Granted, after those two early threes, Greg didn't do anything either.     Once Cole and Bouknight started rolling, forget it.

Completely agree Tower.  Was yelling at the TV.   I don't have an answer for this one, was he asked after the game? 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 12:53:47 AM by MuggsyB »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 11:53:16 PM »
Muggs and tower ...

Absolutely! The group we had on the floor was getting killed and I was pleading with Wojo to call a TO. But he didn’t want to “waste” one before a TV timeout. Pathetic.

I also thought he should have gotten a T with about 5 minutes left after a missed call. Almost surely wouldn’t have made a difference today, but it would have sent his guys the message that he was fighting for them.

And yes, it was pretty bad that our defense kept letting Bouknight go right all game long.

We’ve had a lot of poorly coached games ... and this was another.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 12:57:42 AM »
Completely inexplicable.  And Perez shooting literally every time he touches the ball is puzzling as well. 

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 09:33:44 AM »
Completely inexplicable.  And Perez shooting literally every time he touches the ball is puzzling as well.

Perez can at least get his shot off, most of the other players can not get a shot unless there wide open.  Sure he must of had the green light at GW.  Needs to lose
20 pounds to get in shape. 

Boone

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 09:39:29 AM »
True he can get his shot off, but most of his looks are rushed forces that one can tell before they leave his hand have little chance of going in the hoop

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 07:57:41 PM »
Muggs and tower ...

Absolutely! The group we had on the floor was getting killed and I was pleading with Wojo to call a TO. But he didn’t want to “waste” one before a TV timeout. Pathetic.

I also thought he should have gotten a T with about 5 minutes left after a missed call. Almost surely wouldn’t have made a difference today, but it would have sent his guys the message that he was fighting for them.

And yes, it was pretty bad that our defense kept letting Bouknight go right all game long.

We’ve had a lot of poorly coached games ... and this was another.

Few things frustrate me more than coaches “saving“ timeouts in the first half even when the team is getting blitzed.

If you get blown out like we did on Saturday, you won’t need those timeouts in the second half.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 08:22:19 PM »

Few things frustrate me more than coaches “saving“ timeouts in the first half even when the team is getting blitzed.

If you get blown out like we did on Saturday, you won’t need those timeouts in the second half.

We've talked about it Goooo but it was astounding that we did not call a t-o when the trio of KM, ST, and JP were on the floor.  It's not like they played together for a minute, they were on the court for an extended stretch.  To me it's a fking. mystery and I'm surprised Wojo was not asked about this as far as I know.

mt

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 08:36:27 PM »
I don't really think the lack of a timeout would've changed much.  UCONN is a much more athletic and aggressive team than Marquette.  They're better and they're a bad matchup.  They made huge runs on Marquette in both games because they can turn Marquette over and hold them scoreless for long periods of time.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2021, 08:40:51 PM »
Man,Tower we certainly had heard the complaints of using a TO in a spot similar to this in the past, only to hear complaints of not having a TO, late in a close game. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.......until of course you have hindsight vision of what should have been done.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2021, 08:52:02 PM »
Man,Tower we certainly had heard the complaints of using a TO in a spot similar to this in the past, only to hear complaints of not having a TO, late in a close game. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.......until of course you have hindsight vision of what should have been done.
A foul could have accomplished the same thing.  Certainly had guys on the court that could have given up a worthless foul as MU only had 3 or 4 team fouls during that stretch.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 09:03:04 PM »
I don't really think the lack of a timeout would've changed much.  UCONN is a much more athletic and aggressive team than Marquette.  They're better and they're a bad matchup.  They made huge runs on Marquette in both games because they can turn Marquette over and hold them scoreless for long periods of time.

That is probably true.  But while it was happening everyone watching the game wanted a time out to curb the momentum except Wojo.  Should have called one. There is no debate.  You have to try.  There are always better teams.  Sometimes coaching helps.  Well timed timeouts are a part of good coaching.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2021, 09:30:58 PM »
A foul could have accomplished the same thing.  Certainly had guys on the court that could have given up a worthless foul as MU only had 3 or 4 team fouls during that stretch.

Yes.  Great point Nuke. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2021, 11:11:04 PM »

This is an outstanding point, though the coach also would have to call for the foul.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson