[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Future Jerseys Retired?  (Read 4352 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Future Jerseys Retired?
« on: February 26, 2021, 11:49:41 PM »
Howard will have his day but I'm wondering  if there are other candidates or guys you think that deserve it?  T. Smith?  Jerel?  Dominic?  Travis?  Lazar?  Anyone? 

JWags85

• All American
Re: Future Jerseys Retired?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 01:47:51 AM »
Nobody you named, and I’m as big a Diener fan as you can get.  But there isn’t an AA or even conference POY in that mix.  Markus will rightfully go in the rafters, but that’s about it

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 01:59:19 AM »
Nobody you named, and I’m as big a Diener fan as you can get.  But there isn’t an AA or even conference POY in that mix.  Markus will rightfully go in the rafters, but that’s about it

You think? I’m completely out of the loop on the retired numbers but does anyone know how long after a guy is done playing they typically decide to retire the number? I can’t imagine they’d randomly retire Travis or James, etc almost 10-20 years later. Howard has the best chance, but it would have to happen during the Wojo regime imho.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 02:01:29 AM by CountryRoads »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 02:11:31 AM »
I have no idea what the criteria is or how long we will wait to retire Howard's number.  I mean why Doc Rivers over some other players for example?  Did his NBA career or coaching play a role?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 04:14:10 AM »
I have no idea what the criteria is or how long we will wait to retire Howard's number.  I mean why Doc Rivers over some other players for example?  Did his NBA career or coaching play a role?
There’s zero question it played a role. If anything, his collegiate career was a disappointment. That was Crean’s doing. I actually suspect he was trying to recruit Rivers’ children.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 06:07:30 AM »
I really like Glenn Rivers, a truly great representative of the university. But obviously there were many players who were better players for Marquette whose numbers weren't retired - including pretty much everybody Muggsy named in his OP.

Don't forget, though, that 31 already had been retired for Bo Ellis. Adding on Rivers smacked of a P.R. move, but whatevs. If Bo were a more self-centered guy, he might have been ticked off, but he isn't - and he's probably the only one who really should be bothered by it.

To answer the OP ... you'd like to think that the school's all-time scoring leader, a first-team All-American, and national scoring leader would be a no-brainer. Otherwise, I can't think of anybody.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 06:10:14 AM »
frozena

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 06:52:32 AM »
To answer the OP ... you'd like to think that the school's all-time scoring leader, a first-team All-American, and national scoring leader would be a no-brainer. Otherwise, I can't think of anybody.

This is it for me. Howard absolutely. I could see an argument for Jim Chones and Jerel McNeal, but Howard is the only guy that has to be in the rafters, IMO.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 07:26:53 AM »
You think? I’m completely out of the loop on the retired numbers but does anyone know how long after a guy is done playing they typically decide to retire the number? I can’t imagine they’d randomly retire Travis or James, etc almost 10-20 years later. Howard has the best chance, but it would have to happen during the Wojo regime imho.

I don't agree that it would have to be during the Wojo regime.  Markus will be appreciated even more the further away from him we get.

Depending on how his NBA career continues to play out, I could see Butler's number in the rafters. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 07:33:23 AM »
Markus Howard and Jim Chones.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 07:44:30 AM »
Second those two, Titan.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 07:58:10 AM »
Kind of surprised Chones jersey isn't retired even though he was only with MU for what, two seasons? MH for sure. I would definitely lean toward Diener as a really stout 4-year guy, and Jerel too, especially-so considering where he sits in all-time scoring.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 08:00:01 AM by Marq3332 »
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 08:02:58 AM »
We are running out of numbers to issue.  Only so many a program can retire.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 08:05:43 AM »
They should retire the Hausers jerseys to stick it to Wojo to get him to leave
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 08:08:25 AM »
We are running out of numbers to issue.  Only so many a program can retire.

You are retiring a person, a jersey, not a number. You can re-use numbers.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2021, 08:09:04 AM »

I don't agree that it would have to be during the Wojo regime.  Markus will be appreciated even more the further away from him we get.

Depending on how his NBA career continues to play out, I could see Butler's number in the rafters.

Yeah, I think a real good argument could be made for Jimmy, an important player on two S16 teams and a future NBA All-Star. More deserving than Rivers, for certain.

They should retire the Hausers jerseys to stick it to Wojo to get him to leave

Could retire 9 for Joey, the number of turnovers he had in the losses to Nova and Creighton that began our 2019 collapse. Also, rhymes with "whine."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 08:30:34 AM »
I have no issue with Chones. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2021, 08:35:11 AM »
Yeah, I think a real good argument could be made for Jimmy, an important player on two S16 teams and a future NBA All-Star. More deserving than Rivers, for certain.

Could retire 9 for Joey, the number of turnovers he had in the losses to Nova and Creighton that began our 2019 collapse. Also, rhymes with "whine."

Jimmy only played on 1 s16 team
Maigh Eo for Sam

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2021, 08:49:03 AM »
Chones and Markus.

If someone like JFB donates a large sum of money to the department, I would get behind it too.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2021, 08:53:19 AM »
Jimmy and crowder >>>>>> Howard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2021, 08:58:42 AM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2021, 08:58:57 AM »
Why would we retire Markus’ number?  We didn’t win a single tournament game during his time here.  Never won a conference title.  Yes, he’s our all-time leading scorer, but in today’s game, all that really means is he wasn’t able to go pro early because he was undersized for the position he played.  Jerel McNeal was our leading scorer before Markus.  Should we retire his number, too?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2021, 09:00:54 AM »
Why would we retire Markus’ number?  We didn’t win a single tournament game during his time here.  Never won a conference title.  Yes, he’s our all-time leading scorer, but in today’s game, all that really means is he wasn’t able to go pro early because he was undersized for the position he played.  Jerel McNeal was our leading scorer before Markus.  Should we retire his number, too?

2 time all American is a good argument.
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2021, 09:02:06 AM »

Must’ve only won BE POY and been a consensus First Team All American because he wasn’t able to go pro early too.

He’s the all time leading scorer in the history of the Big East. Think about the players that have come through the conference.

It’s an absolute no brainer.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2021, 09:02:52 AM »

Depends if they need a big crowd for a game dat ordinarily woodant draw flies, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback