[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Phil Martelli?  (Read 10995 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Phil Martelli?
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2021, 10:02:14 PM »
Do you think we will win tomorrow,? Revenge performance?

Crazily, I don't feel as good about this one as I did about UNC. Just had a feeling there.

I think we start slower but hang around and then play a good second half. MU by 6.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2021, 11:10:56 PM »
It's a vitally important game for UCONN.  No prediction from me but if we somehow get the W, I do think it's likely we win out before the BET.  I'm not impressed with X and I don't expect to be Kunkeled. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2021, 11:17:06 PM »
Still need a hologram recruiter.

Hologram Rick.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2021, 07:32:59 AM »
I'm not comparing them. I'm saying we were on the bubble for about half of Buzz's tenure. I'm not defending Wojo either, so I'm not sure what the relevance of the rest of your post is.

I'm not comparing them. We were on the bubble in 2010, 2011, and 2014. That's just a fact.

Team Bubble Watch was a thing under Buzz. And Wojo hasn't been on the bubble 6/7 seasons. We weren't good enough to be there in 2015 or 2016. We are trying to get on the bubble this year but aren't there yet. He's at 3/7 seasons. He wishes he'd been on the bubble 6/7.

I was being generous with Wojo.

I don't consider December "Bubble Watch" and you do, as you said in your post. It's okay to disagree about some things. Being on the bubble is barely making in the NCAA's or barely missing the NCAA's. I including all of Wojo's misses even though he wasn't close to the bubble with some of them.

The discussion is that a poster finds Buzz and Wojo results roughly comparable. Any objective person here would say their results were very different from each other.

I don't have anything against Wojo or tor Buzz. Those are the facts/results. It is what it is.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2021, 09:09:32 AM »
Do you remember this board after we blew a 15-point lead in the NCAA tournament against Washington, or the 18-point lead against Louisville, or a bunch of the other huge blown leads.

There was definitely sentiment regarding not adjusting, not calling Time-outs, and him just not being a good enough game coach. I didn't agree with them then, and still don't, but it was a thing.

That's what Scoop does, decides in October that this is the best team we are putting on the floor since 1977. Deciding midseason that we need to fire the coach, and burn the whole thing to the ground, then half the time worrying that our coach will leave and we will be dropped to D2, because we suck so much. That is Scoop being Scoop...its what this board does.

Did people bitch after this game or that game? Sure, it’s what fans do. But the great majority of Scoopers accepted the overwhelming evidence that said Buzz Williams was very good at coaching basketball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2021, 09:10:14 AM »
I was being generous with Wojo.

I don't consider December "Bubble Watch" and you do, as you said in your post. It's okay to disagree about some things. Being on the bubble is barely making in the NCAA's or barely missing the NCAA's. I including all of Wojo's misses even though he wasn't close to the bubble with some of them.

The discussion is that a poster finds Buzz and Wojo results roughly comparable. Any objective person here would say their results were very different from each other.

I don't have anything against Wojo or tor Buzz. Those are the facts/results. It is what it is.

Look at the schedule. It wasn't just December. We were 11-8 (2-5) on January 23 and clearly out of the field. A 5-game winning streak got us back in the mix, but losing to Pitt and facing a 3-game road swing, there was a lot of thought we wouldn't get in. That was February 18. We won 3 straight on the road in overtime and probably punched our ticket on March 2 when we beat Louisville at home (the Buzz "walk it out" game). We were on the bubble that entire year and the 6-seed was a surprise as most people thought we were in, but just on the safe side.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2021, 09:22:05 AM »
Marquette "In the Mix" on Feb 8, 2010: https://www.si.com/more-sports/2010/02/08/bubble-watch

Still "In the Mix" on Feb 15, 2010: https://www.si.com/more-sports/2010/02/15/bubble-watch

We weren't a certain NCAA team until late in the year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2021, 09:27:26 AM »
Look at the schedule. It wasn't just December. We were 11-8 (2-5) on January 23 and clearly out of the field. A 5-game winning streak got us back in the mix, but losing to Pitt and facing a 3-game road swing, there was a lot of thought we wouldn't get in. That was February 18. We won 3 straight on the road in overtime and probably punched our ticket on March 2 when we beat Louisville at home (the Buzz "walk it out" game). We were on the bubble that entire year and the 6-seed was a surprise as most people thought we were in, but just on the safe side.

Try to see the forest.

I don't agree about one of the seasons regarding the bubble. I don't believe the bubble begins in December. Whether it is 2 of 6 which is what I believe, or 3 of 6 which you believe, MUBB was not on the bubble with the amount of frequency the other poster mentioned.

There were not concerns about Buzz being MU's coach by level headed people. Buzz had MUBB successful early, in the middle, and later in his stay at MU. And of course, with regards to the bubble, getting in matters. Winning one, two, or three games in the NCAA matters. Doing that with frequency also matters. The conversation was and is whether or not Buzz and Wojo have been comparable at MU as the other poster suggested, and, I responded saying the numbers show otherwise.You seem oddly determined to die on a hill of a 6 seeded MUBB NCAA team that the team was on the bubble in December, or January, or even mid February. They were safely/comfortably in the tournament.

Being on the bubble is about where you are when the NCAA selects its teams. Are you just in or just out of the NCAA's. That did not apply to MUBB in that particular season based on the numbers/facts of what happened.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 09:29:31 AM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2021, 09:35:55 AM »
I joined Scoop in Oct 2011 - in other words, before Buzz's 4th season as coach (and after our first S16 appearance). I don't remember too many people beyotching about Buzz from that point until his final season went south.

There was some moaning about this loss or that: Vanderbilt in 2011, Florida in 2012, definitely Green Bay 2012 ... and of course, joyless willie hated him and everybody else, and hoopaloop was hoopaloopin' ... but by and large, Scoopers seemed to dig Buzz.

I remember asking fairly early in my time what the reaction had been to Buzz getting the job, and lots of Scoopers weighed in to say mostly negative at first but then folks warmed up to him fairly quickly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson