[Today at 10:19:19 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Phil Martelli?  (Read 10982 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Phil Martelli?
« on: February 25, 2021, 07:57:12 PM »
I didn't realize he is the AC at Michigan.   I would imagine he's had a significant impact on their success.  Is he interested in becoming a HC again? 

tower912

• All American
Re: Phil Martelli?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 08:08:47 PM »
Because he was so successful?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 08:14:53 PM »
Because he was so successful?

He had some rough years....but certainly has experience.  I was just throwing it out there...he could have conceivably helped us..  But I guess he's no Spring chicken.  In a perfect world who would you want MU to snag assuming we MOAB the current regime?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 08:25:42 PM »
Hard pass. While he had a few good years, he had sub – .500 records in eight of his 24 seasons. And his last three seasons (with 20+ years’ experience) were 11-20, 16-16 and 14-19.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 08:32:35 PM »
He had some rough years....but certainly has experience.  I was just throwing it out there...he could have conceivably helped us..  But I guess he's no Spring chicken.  In a perfect world who would you want MU to snag assuming we MOAB the current regime?

In a perfect world? I would take a guy like Mark Few, Tony Bennett or Nate Oats.

The problem in the real world is finding a guy better than Wojo who would come to MU. We learned seven years ago that you can’t just point your finger at the guy you want and get him to come to Milwaukee. Maybe Wardle, but I am not convinced he has better long-term prospects than Wojo.

panda

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 08:37:39 PM »
In a perfect world? I would take a guy like Mark Few, Tony Bennett or Nate Oats.

The problem in the real world is finding a guy better than Wojo who would come to MU. We learned seven years ago that you can’t just point your finger at the guy you want and get him to come to Milwaukee. Maybe Wardle, but I am not convinced he has better long-term prospects than Wojo.

MU is a high paying job with a significant amount of resources. It’s a good job don’t sell it short.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 08:39:58 PM »

I'm not a Wardle fan.  I'm also concerned Moser will go to BC and we have no chance of getting Beilein or Matta.  There are still a number of good options.  I was just thinking out loud with Martelli. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 08:40:54 PM »
MU is a high paying job with a significant amount of resources. It’s a good job don’t sell it short.

Couldn't agree more. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 09:22:47 PM »

We pay in the lowest third of high major job. We do have a significant amount of resources. It's a good job, don't oversell it.

Honestly, I can only think of one good high major coach that we could conceivably poach, Steve Pikiell from Rutgers. He may be my top choice if/when Wojo leaves.

We may get lucky and land a top coach that's currently out of coaching like a Beilein or a Matta. But Beilein may come with baggage in the form of his kid wanting to be an AC and Matta may be waiting for the Butler job so he can coach at his kid's school. At the moment, those are the only two out there that I can think of.

If we need to hire a new coach, they will likely either be a mid-major head coach, high major assistant coach, or a recently fired high major coach. Which is fine. That's true for 95% of programs. It's also true that at least one of those guys will do a better job than what Wojo is currently doing. Trick is identifying the right one. The transition from being an AC to HC, or mid-major to high-major, or from being an unsuccessful high major coach to a successful one, is not easy.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

panda

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 09:39:34 PM »
We pay in the lowest third of high major job. We do have a significant amount of resources. It's a good job, don't oversell it.

Honestly, I can only think of one good high major coach that we could conceivably poach, Steve Pikiell from Rutgers. He may be my top choice if/when Wojo leaves.

We may get lucky and land a top coach that's currently out of coaching like a Beilein or a Matta. But Beilein may come with baggage in the form of his kid wanting to be an AC and Matta may be waiting for the Butler job so he can coach at his kid's school. At the moment, those are the only two out there that I can think of.

If we need to hire a new coach, they will likely either be a mid-major head coach, high major assistant coach, or a recently fired high major coach. Which is fine. That's true for 95% of programs. It's also true that at least one of those guys will do a better job than what Wojo is currently doing. Trick is identifying the right one. The transition from being an AC to HC, or mid-major to high-major, or from being an unsuccessful high major coach to a successful one, is not easy.

I didn’t oversell it. Don’t put words in my mouth.

Only people totally out of touch with how the world of college sports works believe we would have a chance to lure away an Oats, Few etc.

There are 350 D1 basketball programs so the coach, either head from a MM or assistant, would be receiving a significant raise/promotion.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 09:41:19 PM »
What about these coaches in the MW conf?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 10:04:07 PM »
Why stop at Martelli?

Maybe Hubie Brown or Louie Carnesecca would be interested. They sure won a lot!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 12:31:14 AM »
Why stop at Martelli?

Maybe Hubie Brown or Louie Carnesecca would be interested. They sure won a lot!

Agreed.  Don’t start a thread with a dumb premise.  Muggs you are better than that.  I think.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 12:44:18 AM »

Didn't MU pay Buzz more than they pay Wojo?

At any rate, few schools have a higher overall basketball budget and play in an NBA arena with basketball mad fans. 

My point is that MU should be able to get whoever they want. 

If we could get the next coach K for $5m or the next Ricky Byrdsong for $2m I trust the administration would dole out the $$$.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2021, 04:59:49 AM »
You are right. But it is being passed away with Wojo-Dukiet.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 06:03:23 AM »

Marquette doesn't pay their coaches top 40 money. But I guess if you say it. It must be true.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2021, 07:06:03 AM »
capel at Pittsburgh started out hot, now he's losing #2 & #3 scorers-40% of his offense
don't...don't don't don't don't

GOO

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2021, 08:02:53 AM »
Can this thread be merged with the long thread on this topic?  Or are we going to have threads for each random name that someone thinks of? 

For those of us that realize that  Wojo is back next year, it will be annoying if each random name that pops into someone’s head ends up with a thread. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2021, 08:31:00 AM »

At any rate, few schools have a higher overall basketball budget and play in an NBA arena with basketball mad fans. 

If we could get the next coach K for $5m or the next Ricky Byrdsong for $2m I trust the administration would dole out the $$$.

Buzz got paid after he won some games for us. His starting salary was lower than Wojo's. Wojo would get paid too if he won some games for us. The new coach will have to win some games to get to Buzz' salary.

The higher overall basketball budget is a misnomer. If you replace the costs associated with renting the Fiserv with the average costs that other schools pay for maintaining their own arenas, our budget drops into the lower half of high major. We do get to play in an NBA arena with basketball mad fans.

No we cannot get whoever we want. Shaka proved this. We can steal from the lowest high-majors, most mid-majors, and probably all low-majors. We can likely have any assistant we want. We cannot poach from most high majors, unless the coach is running from the job ala Cuonzo in 2014.

The university is not doling out $5 Million a year for a new coach. It's simply not happening. That's okay, very few program pay that much for basketball coaches, even ones that have been successful for years. It's also okay because there is a coach better than Wojo out there that can be had for $2.5 million or less.
TAMU

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2021, 08:35:28 AM »
Buzz got paid after he won some games for us. His starting salary was lower than Wojo's. Wojo would get paid too if he won some games for us. The new coach will have to win some games to get to Buzz' salary.

The higher overall basketball budget is a misnomer. If you replace the costs associated with renting the Fiserv with the average costs that other schools pay for maintaining their own arenas, our budget drops into the lower half of high major. We do get to play in an NBA arena with basketball mad fans.

No we cannot get whoever we want. Shaka proved this. We can steal from the lowest high-majors, most mid-majors, and probably all low-majors. We can likely have any assistant we want. We cannot poach from most high majors, unless the coach is running from the job ala Cuonzo in 2014.

The university is not doling out $5 Million a year for a new coach. It's simply not happening. That's okay, very few program pay that much for basketball coaches, even ones that have been successful for years. It's also okay because there is a coach better than Wojo out there that can be had for $2.5 million or less.

Just out of curious it's if it was a sure thing like a Cal or Pitino where wed be rolling in success would they pull the trigger? Or would they try to negotiate some type of bonus program based on post season success?

Basically I'm curious if we simply don't have the money or if we want proof of concept before spending the money.
Maigh Eo for Sam

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2021, 08:50:52 AM »

Based on what?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2021, 08:55:17 AM »

Ugh.  For the millionth time, the budget is high because they pay rent to play in the FF.

The idea that Marquette can pay whatever it wants for a coach isn't accurate.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2021, 09:20:05 AM »
Just out of curious it's if it was a sure thing like a Cal or Pitino where wed be rolling in success would they pull the trigger? Or would they try to negotiate some type of bonus program based on post season success?

Basically I'm curious if we simply don't have the money or if we want proof of concept before spending the money.

I think it's both but neither. They have the cash to pay a coach who has proof of concept but not enough to pay one who doesn't if that makes sense.
TAMU

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2021, 09:25:49 AM »

That would be a challenging sell with the do it sooner than five years crowd.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2021, 09:36:36 AM »
I think it's both but neither. They have the cash to pay a coach who has proof of concept but not enough to pay one who doesn't if that makes sense.

I think that's a nonsensical way to make sense.
Maigh Eo for Sam