[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bold Prediction??  (Read 6184 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Bold Prediction??
« on: February 23, 2021, 09:06:28 PM »
Is anyone here picking MU to win tomorrow?  Can we stay within range?  I haven't watched UNC much this year.  Absolutely despise Roy, hopefully we can keep it close, hit triples, and get to the line.  Realistically we have a .1.7% chance which is tough.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 09:18:41 PM by MuggsyB »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Bold Prediction??
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 09:07:14 PM »
We got this.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 09:10:48 PM »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 09:12:09 PM »
Coaches I can't stand in no particular order:

Roy
Roy
Roy
Roy
Roy

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 09:17:39 PM »
Oh, Muggsy, don't limit yourself.   You hate K, Izzo, Cal ....basically the legends.   As well as everybody in the Big East, most of our non-cons. ..

Who do you actually like?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 09:23:06 PM »
Oh, Muggsy, don't limit yourself.   You hate K, Izzo, Cal ....basically the legends.   As well as everybody in the Big East, most of our non-cons. ..

Who do you actually like?

I like:

Huggy
Few
Shaka
Wright
Cooley
Kruger
Beard
Holtmann
Buzz
Bennett
Oats

I will admit that I dislike certain people more than the ones I like. 

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 09:32:47 PM »
We are going to have out butts given to us..they destroy us in second half. Their bigs  will  have their  way with us.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 09:33:47 PM »
MU by 4.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 09:33:53 PM »

A position I 100% can appreciate.
I like:

Huggy

You lost me here as he seems like a great coach but someone i wouldn't let within a mile of my kid (can't argue with the list after)

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 09:38:51 PM »
A position I 100% can appreciate.
You lost me here as he seems like a great coach but someone i wouldn't let within a mile of my kid (can't argue with the list after)

I have heard very good things about Huggy the man.  He's a little intense and needs to take better care of himself but I have a soft spot for the guy for some reason. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 09:41:27 PM »
We are going to have out butts given to us..they destroy us in second half. Their bigs  will  have their  way with us.

Can we guard them at all in your opinion?  Sounds like you anticipate a blood bath.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 09:59:16 PM »
MU by 4.

We Are Marquette!
And if MU loses by 20.....you can shout from the mountain tops that you are a real fan of your Alma mater because you thought they actually might win.
If you are wrong, Please come back here and say you were wrong. Nothing more.
Not I was wrong....but I’m a bigger fan blah blah blah.
Not I was wrong....but at least I don’t go through life blah blah blah.
If you are wrong....just come on here and say you were wrong. Nothing more. No additional comments on any thread.
MU by 4.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 10:04:38 PM »
25% chamce

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 02:02:42 AM »
North Carolina by 23. I'm going 75-52.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 03:34:02 AM »
jeez wanna bet. MU -14

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2021, 05:25:08 AM »
I like:

Huggy
Few
Shaka
Wright
Cooley
Kruger
Beard
Holtmann
Buzz
Bennett
Oats

Don't forget to add Wojo-Dukiet to your like list.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2021, 06:11:55 AM »
Hopefully it will not be the final four blood bath when Roy was coach at Kansas.
Roy is good at knowing opponent weaknesses and his strengths against them and pretty much ramming it down the opponents throat. 
But you never know, a miracle could happen.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2021, 06:43:33 AM »
And if MU loses by 20.....you can shout from the mountain tops that you are a real fan of your Alma mater because you thought they actually might win.
If you are wrong....just come on here and say you were wrong. Nothing more. No additional comments on any thread.
MU by 4.

Of course I'll say I was wrong. I've been wrong before and I've owned up to it, and I'll be wrong again, perhaps as soon as today. I'm not gonna promise not to comment about anything else on any thread, though. I mean, what kind of "cancel culture" are you promoting?

And these are just predictions. They are not a measurement of fandom. Predicting a 10-12 Marquette team that isn't very good in the first place and is without one of its key players to lose to a talented 14-7 UNC team that is playing quite well lately ... that's just logical and has nothing to do with who is a better fan. Now, openly rooting for one's supposedly favorite team to lose? That's another story IMHO.

In the meantime, I will be looking forward to you providing evidence that numerous Scoopers proclaimed Oso "the second coming."

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 06:59:58 AM by MU82 »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2021, 06:48:31 AM »
MU has to slow the tempo, keep turnovers to a minimum, and to have a strong trey shooting game. And of course, continue to play with its strength defending the paint (without fouling). A tall order considering this team's tendencies.

But, I think we keep it close and have a puncher's chance. MU will really miss JFL in this one. It could be a Dunkirk if we continue not to value each possession and get into foul trouble.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2021, 07:12:14 AM »
Like other traditional powers that were struggling earlier in the season (Duke, Kansas, MSU) UNC seems to be getting its act together.

MU winning this game, especially with the lack of depth in the front court, would be a major surprise.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2021, 07:15:19 AM »
Wojo needs a quick hook with Koby again.  Zero tolerance for unforced errors.  Don’t get me wrong, I want Koby to have a great game.  But any dumb passes leading to turnovers, drives into triple coverage leading to traveling calls and more than two missed layups in a row should lead to a quick hook. 

Need to value the basketball to win. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 03:09:33 PM by Shooter McGavin »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2021, 07:21:08 AM »
MU by 4.

We Are Marquette!
As you say....seems illogical.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2021, 08:06:24 AM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2021, 08:13:20 AM »
Wojo needs a quick hook with Kobe again.  Zero tolerance for unforced errors.  Don’t get me wrong, I want Kobe to have a great game.  But any dumb passes leading to turnovers, drives into triple coverage leading to traveling calls and more than two missed layups in a row should lead to a quick hook. 

Need to value the basketball to win. 

*Koby

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

nyg

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2021, 08:33:13 AM »
UNC starts two guys upfront that are 6ft 10 and 6ft 11, along with a 6ft 8 inch guard.
Two major bench players are 6ft 11 and 7ft 1.

Without Justin Lewis, if Theo or Garcia get in foul trouble, this game is over quickly and ugly. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2021, 08:34:47 AM »
Here's my bold prediction:

WE LOSE BIG TIME
Maigh Eo for Sam

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2021, 08:39:26 AM »
We certainly could lose big time/by 23/get blown out.  But the only games we haven't really been in this season were the two Villanova games, who is a very different team than UNC.  Not having Lewis is the major issue because UNC has a lot of size and Marquette doesn't without Lewis.  If we have him I think MU could be in the game and maybe steal it down the stretch.  Without him I'd bet Marquette loses by 7-12 points and never REALLY threatens UNC.

I also don't get the people who seem to be dreading playing this game.  We aren't going to the NCAA Tournament anyways.  So if we get blown out that doesn't change anything for the outcome of our season.  We're getting a chance to play in Chapel Hill.  That's a fun game to watch no matter where the programs are at the moment.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2021, 09:26:19 AM »
It seems like a lot of people watched North Carolina for the first time against Louisville and are assuming that's how well they are going to play against us. Maybe North Carolina has turned a corner and that performance is their new normal. More likely, that was their high point performance of the season and will come back down to earth. Don't mistake this as me saying that we will win or even keep it close, just commenting that North Carolina isn't the world beater that some are making them out to be.

North Carolina is a terrible shooting team but they are elite on the offensive glass. Their basic strategy is throw it towards the hoop and let Bacot, Brooks, Sharpe, or Kessler grab the rebound and score on the putback. Sharpe is the number 1 rated offensive rebounder in the country and Kessler would be top 10 if he had enough minutes to qualify. Bacot is top 75 and Brooks is in the top 400. If we can somehow limit them to one or less shooting opportunities on a majority of trips, we have a chance. We are really going to miss Lewis tonight.

It might be worth throwing out something unexpected like some full court pressure or half court traps. North Carolina turns it over almost as much as we do. Forcing turnovers is not our thing but the best way to keep them from second chance points might be to keep them from taking shots at all.

On the other end, North Carolina cheats to the paint, leaving shooters open for threes in exchange for denying driving opportunities. Not only that, but their bigs are very adept at blocking shots without fouling. If we are to have any hope in this game, we need to hit our open threes. I'd consider a heavy dose of Cain at the 4 and Dawson at the 5 to max our three point shooting. We may miss everything and end up getting blown out, but I think it's the best chance we have of getting a win.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2021, 09:44:51 AM »
Jamal Cain is gonna have to rebound like a MoFo tonight.

But I agree with nyg...if Theo gets in early foul trouble, we are F'd.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2021, 10:28:40 AM »
Agree with TAMU and others that we need to be hot from 3.

We have several good shooters who can get hot ... and that's what we need tonight. Would be a big boost if DJ is the best player on the floor, as he was at Creighton and has been in a few other games. And of course we have to stay out of foul trouble, especially Theo and Dawson.

We went 12-21 from 3 at Creighton, including 7-9 in the second half. A repeat of that is by far our best chance to beat UNC.

Upsets happen every freakin' day in college hoops. Just last night, a Kansas State team that is worse than Marquette just beat a top-10 Oklahoma team. And Iowa State, which is terrible, almost beat one of the 2 best teams in the country.

Yes, if UNC plays well and we don't, it will be over early. But if we play as well as we can, and if UNC does not have a great game, an upset certainly is possible.

I say it happens. We Are Marquette!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2021, 10:31:12 AM »
It sounds like rebounding and hitting the triple are keys for us.  Not having Lewis would be a big loss vs their size.  Can Theo and Dawson hold their own while they are on the floor?  What's their overall depth like?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2021, 10:43:14 AM »
It sounds like rebounding and hitting the triple are keys for us.  Not having Lewis would be a big loss vs their size.  Can Theo and Dawson hold their own while they are on the floor?  What's their overall depth like?

They go 9 deep. They have 4 guys covering the 4/5 position and two of them will be on the floor at all times. I would say their top 3 bigs are 3 of their 4 best players.

They have 5 guys covering the other 3 positions. There's talent there but the talent is young and the experience isn't as talented. I don't think our guards/wings are that far behind theirs, but their bigs are very very good.
TAMU

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2021, 11:03:31 AM »
Classic trap game for UNC, but it's Marquette....so.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2021, 11:20:58 AM »
They go 9 deep. They have 4 guys covering the 4/5 position and two of them will be on the floor at all times. I would say their top 3 bigs are 3 of their 4 best players.

They have 5 guys covering the other 3 positions. There's talent there but the talent is young and the experience isn't as talented. I don't think our guards/wings are that far behind theirs, but their bigs are very very good.

So in other words it could be putrid if we're launching bricks from the perimeter?  We may need DJ or DG to put up a monster game?  Will there be any strategy on our side that can mitigate their size?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2021, 12:07:28 PM »
jeez wanna bet. MU -14

Not a gambler, but I think this is a poor matchup. I see them killing us on the offensive glass and worry about front line foul trouble without Justin or Oso. If we were a better shooting team, we might be able to offset their interior advantage by exchanging 3s for 2s. I'm also worried about a team that does well in transition against our turnover prone offense. Everything we do plays into what they do.

If we get hot from 3, if we don't turn it over, if Theo and Garcia avoid foul trouble, maybe we can overachieve, but I really hate the matchup.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2021, 12:12:20 PM »
UNC 83-67.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2021, 12:41:54 PM »
So in other words it could be putrid if we're launching bricks from the perimeter?  We may need DJ or DG to put up a monster game?  Will there be any strategy on our side that can mitigate their size?

Well, the thing about size mismatches is they go both ways. So while one or two of their bigs could take advantage of Jamal or Koby, theoretically Jamal or Koby could use their quickness advantage to help set up themselves or others. Also, sometimes teams work so hard to exploit perceived mismatches that they don't run their normal offense and it screws them up. So here's hoping.

We're gonna have to do our best job of boxing out all season or else they'll murder us on their offensive boards.

Not a gambler, but I think this is a poor matchup. I see them killing us on the offensive glass and worry about front line foul trouble without Justin or Oso. If we were a better shooting team, we might be able to offset their interior advantage by exchanging 3s for 2s. I'm also worried about a team that does well in transition against our turnover prone offense. Everything we do plays into what they do.

I have similar concerns, as all Marquette fans should. I just think we're gonna play real well and hit some 3s. Probably being overly optimistic. If so ... guilty as charged, and I can live with that!

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2021, 12:45:56 PM »
Coaches I can't stand in no particular order:

Roy
Roy
Roy
Roy
Roy

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2021, 03:10:06 PM »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2021, 03:18:01 PM »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2021, 04:23:28 PM »
UNC would not be playing this game, if they thought they might lose. A loss is always possible. We only win if we play our A games and North Carolina plays their C game or worse.

UNC by 18 (without Lewis). 12 if Lewis can effectively play.

Wojo's back is against the wall. I like that he is willing to come out fighting as a win would help him a lot.
However, basically I think this game is going to hurt the our conference teams' net rankings. It might actually cost the Big East a bid. We got three borderline teams and none of them can afford a drop in the net rankings.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2021, 04:24:18 PM »
Lewis isn't playing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2021, 05:55:31 PM »
Lewis isn't playing.

Dammit.

Need to hit 14 triples at a 45% clip.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2021, 08:09:28 PM »
MU by 4.

I was wrong.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2021, 08:14:49 PM »
I was wrong.
Ha—well played.
I never thought we could put together that type of game tonight.
What a great team effort.
However, UNC is not good.
Nonetheless....great win for MU!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2021, 08:21:49 PM »

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2021, 08:41:05 PM »

I hope you don't bet.

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2021, 08:48:35 PM »
We got this.

Seriously, give credit where credit is due!!!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2021, 09:33:24 PM »

#oldtakesexposed

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2021, 12:01:19 AM »
It seems like a lot of people watched North Carolina for the first time against Louisville and are assuming that's how well they are going to play against us. Maybe North Carolina has turned a corner and that performance is their new normal. More likely, that was their high point performance of the season and will come back down to earth. Don't mistake this as me saying that we will win or even keep it close, just commenting that North Carolina isn't the world beater that some are making them out to be.

North Carolina is a terrible shooting team but they are elite on the offensive glass. Their basic strategy is throw it towards the hoop and let Bacot, Brooks, Sharpe, or Kessler grab the rebound and score on the putback. Sharpe is the number 1 rated offensive rebounder in the country and Kessler would be top 10 if he had enough minutes to qualify. Bacot is top 75 and Brooks is in the top 400. If we can somehow limit them to one or less shooting opportunities on a majority of trips, we have a chance. We are really going to miss Lewis tonight.

It might be worth throwing out something unexpected like some full court pressure or half court traps. North Carolina turns it over almost as much as we do. Forcing turnovers is not our thing but the best way to keep them from second chance points might be to keep them from taking shots at all.

On the other end, North Carolina cheats to the paint, leaving shooters open for threes in exchange for denying driving opportunities. Not only that, but their bigs are very adept at blocking shots without fouling. If we are to have any hope in this game, we need to hit our open threes. I'd consider a heavy dose of Cain at the 4 and Dawson at the 5 to max our three point shooting. We may miss everything and end up getting blown out, but I think it's the best chance we have of getting a win.

I do hope Wojo gives Scoop credit for the gameplan in his presser
TAMU

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2021, 07:29:14 AM »

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2021, 09:47:15 AM »
I meant MU 83-67

Well, at least you nailed the pace.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

feedback