Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: That was fun  (Read 9489 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: That was fun
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2021, 08:16:45 PM »
Great win. Happy for Greg, Jamal and Theo. Glad we got to experience a win.

Having said that, the trajectory is the same and the need for a change remains.

100% agree GW.  We should be working right now to figure out the plan of attack.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2021, 08:18:44 PM »
Great win. Happy for Greg, Jamal and Theo. Glad we got to experience a win.

Having said that, the trajectory is the same and the need for a change remains.

Yep. I could MAYBE be convinced otherwise if we win the next seven.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2021, 08:32:17 PM »
No, it wasn't fun.  Butler is one of the worst P6 teams in the country this year, and they were playing without Bryce Nze.
 Let's not try to dress this up as anything more than what it was:  A win versus a really crappy team.  Slurping isn't going to help anybody at this point.

Extend Wojo!!!

Just kidding. You suck.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2021, 08:33:54 PM »
A win serves everyone’s best interests. Glad we got and happy to see the scout team kids got in.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2021, 08:34:14 PM »
Well Tower, based on the responses here I'd say this is your first thread title fail.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2021, 08:37:11 PM »
No, it wasn't fun.  Butler is one of the worst P6 teams in the country this year, and they were playing without Bryce Nze.
 Let's not try to dress this up as anything more than what it was:  A win versus a really crappy team.  Slurping isn't going to help anybody at this point.

I know you want Wojo fired but hyperbole here is ridiculous. They aren’t even the worst team in the BE and knocked off St. John’s last week and beat Creighton.

Northwestern, Nebraska, K State, Iowa State, Vandy, BC, South Carolina, Washington, Cal, Miami, all worse.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2021, 08:57:18 PM »
I must say, the Sarah Rose tributes and well wishes are fantastic.  Great job by MU Athletics and the team in their postgame celebration. A definite highlight in a year of adjusted expectations.

MU24

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2021, 08:58:10 PM »
At least some team is doing bad that was supposed to be not that bad. At its not MU this time

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2021, 09:00:08 PM »
Wish we could do this every night. I enjoyed tonight. It doesn't change my thoughts on the trajectory or future of the program, but big wins are fun.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2021, 09:01:44 PM »
I couldn’t help but wonder how Butler fans are feeling about their coach, considering how we feel about ours and how badly we beat them.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2021, 09:02:17 PM »
How can anyone find a game “fun” when it’s two awful teams with absolutely nothing at stake?  The only outcome of a win in this game is a bad outcome.  The best outcome for this season is every game being a loss from here on out so we can clean house and start fresh.

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2021, 09:09:33 PM »
I agree with mugsy. The difference in intensity was evident from the start. On both offense and defense. Defense especially was bigly better. If we can keep this up we'll win some future games. Injuries hurt.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2021, 09:10:09 PM »
How can anyone find a game “fun” when it’s two awful teams with absolutely nothing at stake?  The only outcome of a win in this game is a bad outcome.  The best outcome for this season is every game being a loss from here on out so we can clean house and start fresh.

Because I'm a Marquette fan and I'd rather watch them win than lose, always. I get it, I want Wojo out, but I'd rather watch us win than lose. I've never enjoyed a loss.

This year has been a consistent string of disappointments. We get a couple sugar highs early, and since then it's been downer after downer, but the wins are still more fun. And frankly, if the administration chooses to keep Wojo because he finishes 2-9 instead of 1-10 with both wins over Butler, I guess we all deserve what we get. Tonight was a nice reminder of what I hoped this team would be. Enjoy it while we can, I don't expect many (any?) more of these.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2021, 09:17:17 PM »

I was glad to see Greg have some success. Jamal got a double double. They are good kids busting their butts.

I have had some back and forth if I think it’s better for MU’s future if they lose and that triggers firing Wojo. But I do hope the players have success.

connie

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2021, 09:22:54 PM »
Happy with a win.  I admit it is in large part because I was fully prepared to lose to a pretty bad Butler team, but even as depressed and pessimistic as I am I can't bring myself to cheer for a loss.  Go Warriors!
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2021, 09:41:40 PM »
Enjoyed watching several of the guys play well, and more than that, on many many many occasions they seemed to be pulling for each other to play well. They enjoyed the feeling of a team victory.

I agree with those who say that if you can't enjoy a Big East road win, why even bother being an alleged "fan"?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2021, 09:44:13 PM »
I couldn’t help but wonder how Butler fans are feeling about their coach, considering how we feel about ours and how badly we beat them.

Well, at least they should be happy they have Coach Congeniality.

Seriously, that was a classy move calling a T.O. when Elliott had the cramp. I'm guessing he doesn't do that if it's a 3-point game - nor should he - but it wasn't and I was pretty impressed by that.

I wonder if Butler fans are ripping him for it, though.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2021, 09:58:51 PM »
Seriously, that was a classy move calling a T.O. when Elliott had the cramp. I'm guessing he doesn't do that if it's a 3-point game - nor should he - but it wasn't and I was pretty impressed by that.

That was shocking.  Announcer said "good sportsmanship" which is 100% true.  But also a dumb move if you want to help your team win games.  Still not sure what to think of it.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2021, 10:07:51 PM »
Hooray! We beat a Horizon-league level Butler team!!!!

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2021, 10:10:52 PM »
I was there. Talked to Cain’s uncle. Congratulated him on his nephew’s double double. First? Decent MU contingent in the house.  Lots of us were able to sit in section behind MU bench as Butler fans were awol. Socially distant bball is awesome. No lines, traffic or anything.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2021, 10:17:48 PM »
Hooray! We beat a Horizon-league level Butler team!!!!

How much money did you put on Butler?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2021, 10:18:35 PM »
That was shocking.  Announcer said "good sportsmanship" which is 100% true.  But also a dumb move if you want to help your team win games.  Still not sure what to think of it.

Yeah, in real time, I said: "Wow. That's great sportsmanship ... but jeesh, the game is far from over. He might need that time-out later."

I mean, there were 15 minutes left in an 18-point game -- and Butler came back from 18 down the last time they played us.

I think most coaches would have had their team try to push it to take advantage of the 5-on-4 and then, after you score, let the opponent with the injured player call the time-out. Honestly, I'm pretty sure that's what I would have done, too. And I don't think it would have been "poor sportsmanship."

But it certainly was incredible sportsmanship to do what Jordan did.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2021, 10:19:13 PM »
I was there. Talked to Cain’s uncle. Congratulated him on his nephew’s double double. First? Decent MU contingent in the house.  Lots of us were able to sit in section behind MU bench as Butler fans were awol. Socially distant bball is awesome. No lines, traffic or anything.

Sounds like fun.  Glad you got to see a win.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2021, 10:34:34 PM »
Unclear why DJ and other starters are risking further injury up 25+ with 2.5 minutes left.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2021, 10:40:07 PM »
Unclear why DJ and other starters are risking further injury up 25+ with 2.5 minutes left.

Agreed. Kept telling Wojo through the TV to get DJ and Dawson out of there.