'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 12:53:11 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel  (Read 218187 times)

94Warrior

• All American
Re: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #1325 on: April 09, 2021, 05:46:30 PM »
Wojo was clearly calling for a foul, and Bailey was hesitant in doing so.  Bailey eventually did foul, against his better instincts, and then demanded to know why he was being screamed at to foul.  Wojo’s answer was “there was confusion on the bench”.

If I recall Koby hit a shot at the buzzer to send the game to overtime, making the point moot.  But, still an embarrassing lack of awareness by a head coach.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1326 on: April 09, 2021, 09:58:58 PM »
Wojo was clearly calling for a foul, and Bailey was hesitant in doing so.  Bailey eventually did foul, against his better instincts, and then demanded to know why he was being screamed at to foul.  Wojo’s answer was “there was confusion on the bench”.

If I recall Koby hit a shot at the buzzer to send the game to overtime, making the point moot.  But, still an embarrassing lack of awareness by a head coach.

Yup, that was 100% wojo's call from the bench.

5th grade coaches know better.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #1327 on: April 09, 2021, 10:04:22 PM »
It was the right call, wrong guy to foul.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #1328 on: April 09, 2021, 10:23:09 PM »
Maybe I am wrong, but I still believe Wojo was just taking the blame for Bailey not understanding what Wojo wanted him to do. This is no different than Wojo not agreeing to fire his assistant's. Whether you like Wojo or not, I do not think you can find an instance where he ever put the blame on his players or assistant coaches.

Wojo didn’t want to retain his assistants out of some sense of loyalty.  He wanted them back because he was a stubborn a$$hole and knew he had a $9 million buyout in his back pocket if the admin didn’t like it.

He didn’t save anybody’s job.  None of his assistants work at Marquette anymore.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1329 on: April 09, 2021, 10:38:41 PM »

He's gone, there's no reason to excuse his mistakes. You don't send a shooter to the line, any shooter, in a tie game with seconds left to play. That's the surest way to move your win probability into the negative. Wojo made a clear mistake, was bailed out by a miracle from Koby after they had to foul a second time, and lost anyway in overtime.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Autoengineer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1330 on: April 09, 2021, 10:55:01 PM »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1331 on: April 10, 2021, 12:10:16 AM »

He didn’t save anybody’s job.  None of his assistants work at Marquette anymore.

"Buy this book or we'll shoot this dog!"

...PJ O'Rourke

Death on call

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #1332 on: April 10, 2021, 01:24:23 AM »
Wojo loved this job, his players, & the university. I don't see why it's hard to understand why he'd still be coming to terms with everything & figuring out next steps in his overall life. He worked his arse off & the job consumed, very likely, 70, 80, 90+ hours/week for years.

Himself aside, he has a family that he moved across the country.

That he doesn't have a job 3 weeks later is not some kind of obvious sign of anything... Any of you guys ever wish you devoted more time to your kids? Would you have done so, perhaps, if you had less of a concern with money? ::)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1333 on: April 10, 2021, 07:15:37 AM »
Maybe I am wrong, but I still believe Wojo was just taking the blame for Bailey not understanding what Wojo wanted him to do. This is no different than Wojo not agreeing to fire his assistant's. Whether you like Wojo or not, I do not think you can find an instance where he ever put the blame on his players or assistant coaches.

Nope. Wojo didn’t know the score. With under 10 seconds left in the game. To his credit he admitted what was clear to anyone watching - but wtf? How can that happen? It was the final three nails in the coffin for me.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1334 on: April 10, 2021, 08:32:23 AM »
Nope. Wojo didn’t know the score. With under 10 seconds left in the game. To his credit he admitted what was clear to anyone watching - but wtf? How can that happen? It was the final three nails in the coffin for me.

Yessir, Tony, you were right then and you're right now. It was embarrassingly poor coaching, and even honest ProJos said so at the time.

And I swear, I think it was the next game, he was telling the guys to foul with us up 4. Our player (Cain?) tried to foul but the ref didn't call it, thankfully, saving Wojo yet another humiliating moment.

My "final nail" didn't come until the DePaul loss this past season, but now I realize I had been too patient. Not that any impatience from me or any other Scooper would have made a difference, but I wouldn't have wasted energy defending him if I had gone NoJo sooner.

Small price to pay for being an eternal optimist, I guess.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #1335 on: April 10, 2021, 08:45:21 AM »
It’s crazy people are still trying to defend him forgetting the score and game situation.

Royale

• Walk-On
« Reply #1336 on: April 10, 2021, 08:48:14 AM »
Wojo loved this job, his players, & the university. I don't see why it's hard to understand why he'd still be coming to terms with everything & figuring out next steps in his overall life. He worked his arse off & the job consumed, very likely, 70, 80, 90+ hours/week for years.

That he doesn't have a job 3 weeks later is not some kind of obvious sign of anything... Any of you guys ever wish you devoted more time to your kids? Would you have done so, perhaps, if you had less of a concern with money? ::)

Amen to this. The guy was a basketball coach. He was clearly a good dude. He tried very hard. It didn't work out. No idea why folks are so invested in crapping on him. How hard is to wish a guy well?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1337 on: April 10, 2021, 09:16:06 AM »

Uhhh, no. Wrong. Incorrect. No go. Denied.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1338 on: April 10, 2021, 09:28:08 AM »

Eye

• All American
« Reply #1339 on: April 10, 2021, 10:24:49 AM »
I was at the MU - Butler game about 15 rows up directly across from the MU bench. My initial reaction was - What the hell is Wojo doing here?
GO WARRIORS!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1340 on: April 10, 2021, 10:33:42 AM »

It was actually 19 seconds left when Bailey fouled, but the shot clock was turned off. Tie game, Baldwin went to the line and split a pair. Howard missed a potential game-winning three, MU fouled Baldwin again with 8 seconds left (that was the under 10 seconds, but correct to give foul) and he put Butler up 3, then McEwen hit the game winner at the buzzer.

Not that it matters much, it was a dumb decision regardless, but clearly a mistake on Wojo's part because he didn't know the score.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

blue and gold

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1341 on: April 10, 2021, 11:12:54 AM »

How much money did MU pay Wojo in the totality of his 7 year tenure at MU including his buyout?

Why did Wojo proactively seek out and willingly accept the job at MU if the hours required to work were so problematic to him?  Also, why didn’t Wojo leave MU on his own accord if the job was such a burden?

I wish Wojo the best in his future endeavors, but the narrative that he’s a victim is perplexing.  Wojo was paid extremely well at MU and was given great resources and support.

Wojo underperformed at MU, and the administration decided to move in a different direction.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 11:31:47 AM by blue and gold »

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #1342 on: April 10, 2021, 11:36:52 AM »

In the words of John McEnroe, you cannot be serious.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1343 on: April 10, 2021, 12:05:02 PM »
Seriously? He had a good year last year and a rough year this year. They have to be thinking of a particular person right? Because that seems like a crazy short leash.

Rothstein with a nice editorial ripping Cincy.

https://collegehoopstoday.com/index.php/rothstein-files/column-cincinnatis-once-proud-basketball-program-is-now-at-an-all-time-low/

The decision to terminate John Brannen on Friday feels more like a witch hunt than anything that’s based on real circumstances.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1344 on: April 10, 2021, 12:08:56 PM »
Wojo didn’t want to retain his assistants out of some sense of loyalty.  He wanted them back because he was a stubborn a$$hole and knew he had a $9 million buyout in his back pocket if the admin didn’t like it.

A lot of fans wanted Wojo gone and were very vocal about it. Firing his assistants might of given him one more year, but with all the fans hating him he was smart to say no. Why go through another year of torment with fans hating you.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1345 on: April 10, 2021, 12:13:59 PM »

The reason he needs to "come to terms" with being fired is because he did not "come to terms" with having failed. The reported 9 million he received should help tide him over while figuring out the next steps in his overall life. Anybody here who got 9 mil heading after being fired? I'm not saying that personal attacks are in any way justified but criticisms of his tenure are. He's entitled to respect as a person but not sympathy for the consequences of his failures.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1346 on: April 10, 2021, 12:25:16 PM »
Next season would have been brutal with Woj still here, unless he had a stellar season and won a couple games in the Tourney. Plus, ticket sales, at least at first, would have plummeted. As I've said before, MU couldn't afford to keep him around. In this case, change is good. Keep hope alive, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1347 on: April 10, 2021, 12:52:56 PM »
Next season would have been brutal with Woj still here, unless he had a stellar season and won a couple games in the Tourney. Plus, ticket sales, at least at first, would have plummeted. As I've said before, MU couldn't afford to keep him around. In this case, change is good. Keep hope alive, hey?

This is correct.  As someone that was a “projo”, my contention was in January the program was between a rock and hard place.  He’d lost the fans and the program was stagnant at best with no proof of improvement.  As the season ended and it seemed likely he’d return, I thought it was actually more prudent financially to move on now because apathy next winter was going to cost them more. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1348 on: April 10, 2021, 01:48:49 PM »
In the words of John McEnroe, you cannot be serious.

Any reference to John McEnroe in a college hoops thread is worthy of a 🤙

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1349 on: April 10, 2021, 02:02:08 PM »

Any reference to John McEnroe in a college hoops thread is worthy of a 🤙

Didn't he bone a very nubile Tatum O'Neal?

Death on call

feedback