[June 08, 2024, 07:42:23 PM]

Incoming freshmen by MuMark
[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Juan Anderson  (Read 6966 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Juan Anderson
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2021, 12:04:44 PM »
I can't tell if you're suggesting that Buzz for 3 years and Wojo for 1 somehow did wrong by Juan, but he didn't just "improve." He has improved a zillion-fold. He is nothing now like he was then.

Great comment. Playing in other countries with more established pros could definitely help a lot of these guys.
Buzz and Wojo did well by Juan. He started the majority of games he played.

What I am saying , is that Juan’s  basic length, hustle , aggressive defense etc was there in a very raw form in college.

Obviously, no one knew how much Juan would progress . Basically, he spent the last 5 years 100 percent of the time working on his game converting himself from a college glue guy to an NBA glue guy

I am hoping Juan can get a guaranteed contract with The Warriors after this season is over.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 03:04:50 PM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2021, 01:23:46 PM »
Copa.
Proving the adage 'you can't teach height'.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2021, 01:54:05 PM »

What I am saying , is that Juan’s  basic length, hustle , aggressive defense etc was there in a very raw form in college.

Obviously, no one knew how much Juan would progress . Basically, he spent the last 5 years 100 percent of the time working on his game converting himself from a college glue guy to an NBA

I am hoping Juan can get a guaranteed contract with The Warriors after this season is over.

I'd guess he'll get one before the end of this year. They will likely convert his two-way, in my opinion.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2021, 02:13:37 PM »
I'd guess he'll get one before the end of this year. They will likely convert his two-way, in my opinion.
One of the great things about Juan’s situation is he gets real minutes and starts when there are injuries. He is not out there in garbage time .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2021, 02:25:38 PM »

Obviously, no one knew how much Juan would progress . Basically, he spent the last 5 years 100 percent of the time working on his game converting himself from a college glue guy to an NBA

Fair.

VERY raw.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2021, 11:00:51 PM »
Juan has had to play quite a bit of 5 for the Warriors due to injuries, and in the most recent postgame interview session he credited what he learned at Marquette with helping him do it.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2021, 06:37:46 AM »
Chris Crawford
Crawford was a solid pro. Went for 40 a couple of times. And, I don’t believe he was on scholarship at MU. Baseball contract covered tuition, or something like that.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2021, 06:56:16 AM »
Crawford was a solid pro. Went for 40 a couple of times. And, I don’t believe he was on scholarship at MU. Baseball contract covered tuition, or something like that.

All around good and humble guy too. Not a bit pretentious.  I happened to be close enough to him at Selection Show watch party in ‘97 to be able to strike  up a conversation with him. He was very nice and humble, didn’t mind at all spending a few minutes conversing with a dork rabid fan like me.

John Cliff was the same, but didn’t have an opportunity to chat him up that day too. 

mdubs

• Walk-On
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2021, 08:52:59 AM »
  I think this was Richard Shaw

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=shaw--003ric

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2021, 10:33:19 AM »
  I think this was Richard Shaw

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=shaw--003ric

I believe both of them were on minor league baseball contracts

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2021, 05:27:46 PM »
With Buycks, the ability was apparent. He had the athleticism, the shot, and the instincts. The only thing he didn't have was enough control over his game. He was a bit too playground. That's why he thrived so much in the Milwaukee Pro-Am. And going to France, improving his handle, and really learning to be a point guard, all that focused the raw ability that was always there.

I'm sorry, are you talking about DJ?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2021, 07:53:45 PM »
I'm sorry, are you talking about DJ?

I can see the comparison, but I think Dwight and DJ were different in that regard. Both had the raw talent. Dwight's problem was control, DJ's problem was the ability to perform consistently. I routinely think DJ Carton is the best player in the Big East*. The problem is the asterisk. He's only the best player in the Big East for about 5-10 minutes per night. During that stretch, he will put the team on his back, throw down dunks that are the closest things to Ja Morant we've seen since Joey was posterized, create shots for others with slashes and passes, hit floaters and layups on drives, and make threes, all the while hounding his man on defense and creating a couple of those opportunities when he jumps lanes on the defensive end. But it's fleeting.

Dwight had NBA talent without NBA control. DJ has NBA talent, but only for a few minutes at a time. Unfortunately, those respective limitations have kept each player from reaching their potential here.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2021, 09:32:07 AM »
I can see the comparison, but I think Dwight and DJ were different in that regard. Both had the raw talent. Dwight's problem was control, DJ's problem was the ability to perform consistently. I routinely think DJ Carton is the best player in the Big East*. The problem is the asterisk. He's only the best player in the Big East for about 5-10 minutes per night. During that stretch, he will put the team on his back, throw down dunks that are the closest things to Ja Morant we've seen since Joey was posterized, create shots for others with slashes and passes, hit floaters and layups on drives, and make threes, all the while hounding his man on defense and creating a couple of those opportunities when he jumps lanes on the defensive end. But it's fleeting.

Dwight had NBA talent without NBA control. DJ has NBA talent, but only for a few minutes at a time. Unfortunately, those respective limitations have kept each player from reaching their potential here.

The underlined is incredibly frustrating. DJ shows flashes of brilliance; especially those drives where he has a lightning-quick first step, great ball and body control in traffic and a strong finish. Then he reverts to the guy with the loose handle who dribbles around the perimeter and defers to other guys to create something.

Dunno if it's a confidence thing, a deference to upperclassmen or what, but he would be amazing if he could get past it.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2021, 11:57:18 AM »

The underlined is incredibly frustrating. DJ shows flashes of brilliance; especially those drives where he has a lightning-quick first step, great ball and body control in traffic and a strong finish. Then he reverts to the guy with the loose handle who dribbles around the perimeter and defers to other guys to create something.

Dunno if it's a confidence thing, a deference to upperclassmen or what, but he would be amazing if he could get past it.

If we got 25-30 minutes per night of good DJ, he would be a lock for Big East Player of the Year and in the mix for First Team All-American and National Player of the Year. It's both amazing and frustrating to see how good he can be but how inconsistent that good is.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2021, 12:34:58 PM »
If we got 25-30 minutes per night of good DJ, he would be a lock for Big East Player of the Year and in the mix for First Team All-American and National Player of the Year. It's both amazing and frustrating to see how good he can be but how inconsistent that good is.

Or maybe some folks would rip Wojo for AGAIN letting one player dominate the offense and the ball, and maybe some teammates would gripe about it.

But yes, I absolutely agree that DJ can be frustrating and agree that it would help our team if he were more engaged a lot more of the time. He is so obviously our best player, and I agree he has All-BE talent.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2021, 01:39:54 PM »
Or maybe some folks would rip Wojo for AGAIN letting one player dominate the offense and the ball, and maybe some teammates would gripe about it.

But yes, I absolutely agree that DJ can be frustrating and agree that it would help our team if he were more engaged a lot more of the time. He is so obviously our best player, and I agree he has All-BE talent.

I get the hyperbole, but DJ isn't as high a usage player as Markus was, so I don't think that would be such a problem. When good DJ is good, it's just as much his shot creation for others as his own production that elevates.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2021, 02:27:35 PM »
I get the hyperbole, but DJ isn't as high a usage player as Markus was, so I don't think that would be such a problem. When good DJ is good, it's just as much his shot creation for others as his own production that elevates.

I really wasn't using hyperbole. But good points.

feedback