[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Super-Spreader Super Bowl  (Read 6349 times)

MU82

• All American
Super-Spreader Super Bowl
« on: February 03, 2021, 09:28:40 AM »
Anybody planning to hold or go to a Super Bowl party?

We're not, and although we made that decision before this NYT article was published, it helps explain why ...

Coronavirus cases in the U.S. have surged after almost every major holiday of the past year, including Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. This weekend brings another major holiday, even if it’s not an official one: Super Bowl Sunday. And there is reason to worry that it will turn into Superspreader Sunday.

Polls show that a significant number of people plan to attend parties. Two separate surveys — one by Seton Hall University and one by the National Retail Federation — found that nearly 30 percent of adults said they would attend a gathering at someone’s home or watch the game at a restaurant or a bar.

If anything, this weekend may be more dangerous than most holidays. Super Bowl parties are usually indoors and can involve more households than a holiday meal. This year’s game is also happening when contagious new variants of the virus have begun to spread.

There is precedent for sporting events leading to outbreaks. Health officials in Los Angeles believe that gatherings to watch playoff games last fall involving the Lakers (who won the N.B.A. title) and Dodgers (who won the World Series) accelerated the virus’s surge in Southern California.

“Crowds of packed fans crammed into outdoor dining patios,” The Los Angeles Times explained last week, noting that gatherings often included unmasked people “chanting, singing or shouting.” The same story quotes Barbara Ferrer, the public health director of Los Angeles County: “Don’t organize a party at home. Don’t go to a Super Bowl party.”

The next several weeks feel especially important. Cases have been falling sharply, and the pace of vaccination — though still maddeningly slow — is picking up. We have reached a potential turning point, when Covid-19 deaths could start declining and never again reach their earlier highs.

But the variants present a huge risk. Behavior that was low-risk a few months ago may no longer be. Behavior that was already risky, like attending an indoor party, may be even more so.

“We need to double down,” Dr. Rebecca Wurtz of the University of Minnesota School of Public Health told me. “Here’s our chance to turn the corner, and we really need to seize it.”
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Super-Spreader Super Bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 11:17:29 AM »
we're having one of my wife's co-workers and her boyfriend over. They both WFH and limit their social activities and interactions. That's it.

We've had a small bubble of people we interact with in person since March.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 12:10:24 PM »
On duty.   Already planned to order a pizza and bread sticks.   

I have never gone anywhere for a Super Bowl party.   Part of not being obsessed with football, I guess.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 12:18:19 PM »
we're having one of my wife's co-workers and her boyfriend over. They both WFH and limit their social activities and interactions. That's it.

We've had a small bubble of people we interact with in person since March.

Nice of you to invite your wife's boyfriend

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 12:47:07 PM »
We're going to a neighbors that just tested negative. Two hepa air filters in their basement and ample room to distance with a group of 6 in accordance with the IL guidelines. I did have to stop my fiancé from accepting her parents invite to their house where there'd be her parents, the two of us, her 3 siblings, two other significant others, one new born, plus the parents and sister of the new born's mother. Sounded like a disaster waiting to happen even though 5 of them have had Covid already.

Definitely how I read that the first time lol
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 01:25:40 PM »

They must have a very 'evolved' relationship.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 01:44:50 PM »

just trying to be more woke!

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 08:29:57 PM »
Not into football, haven’t gone to a Super Bowl  party in years, stopped by a neighbors once in a while.
It’s one of my favorite times to go to the gym, late afternoon when parties have started. It’s like having a private gym.
Having had one Moderna shot, I’m half tempted to make my first visit since last March, since no one will be there, but not tempted enough. Plus it’s going to be bitterly cold.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 08:39:18 PM »
Not into football, haven’t gone to a Super Bowl  party in years, stopped by a neighbors once in a while.
It’s one of my favorite times to go to the gym, late afternoon when parties have started. It’s like having a private gym.
Having had one Moderna shot, I’m half tempted to make my first visit since last March, since no one will be there, but not tempted enough. Plus it’s going to be bitterly cold.
You should speak to whoever runs the gym about turning the heat on.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 09:50:01 PM »

We used to go skiing in California on Super bowl Sunday. Slopes were empty.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 08:22:26 AM »
Don't give no chit 'bout know Stuper Bowl nohow, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 11:54:01 AM »
We used to go skiing in California on Super bowl Sunday. Slopes were empty.

If not for the bitterly cold forecast Sunday, I'm guessing any slopes in Wisconsin would be as busy as usual.  Wisconsin has Super Bowl Apathy after the way the Packers were eliminated. 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 12:14:51 PM »

I did that at halftime of the Seahawks/Broncos blowout. Nobody there, it was great.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 01:45:37 PM »
They sure seem to be taking the pandemic seriously in Tampa....

https://twitter.com/LuisSantana/status/1358375287780765699

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 08:07:44 AM »
I'm actually pretty shocked by the number of people I know posting videos and photos from their large super bowl parties to social media.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2021, 08:09:32 AM »
After trending downward for a couple of weeks, we will know in a couple more if the SB had much impact.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2021, 08:27:05 AM »
Eye dunno, those cardboard heads were sittin' damn close ta each udder wit know masks on @ Raymond James, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2021, 01:17:01 PM »
I'm actually pretty shocked by the number of people I know posting videos and photos from their large super bowl parties to social media.

I'm not very "social", but I've been hearing the same thing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2021, 02:06:36 PM »
Eye dunno, those cardboard heads were sittin' damn close ta each udder wit know masks on @ Raymond James, hey?

You are aware that people are talking about Super Bowl parties/gatherings, right? The same kind of events that led to thousands upon thousands of deaths and hospitalizations after Thanksgiving and Xmas/NYE.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2021, 09:32:12 PM »
Anybody planning to hold or go to a Super Bowl party?

We're not, and although we made that decision before this NYT article was published, it helps explain why ...

Coronavirus cases in the U.S. have surged after almost every major holiday of the past year, including Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. This weekend brings another major holiday, even if it’s not an official one: Super Bowl Sunday. And there is reason to worry that it will turn into Superspreader Sunday.

Polls show that a significant number of people plan to attend parties. Two separate surveys — one by Seton Hall University and one by the National Retail Federation — found that nearly 30 percent of adults said they would attend a gathering at someone’s home or watch the game at a restaurant or a bar.

If anything, this weekend may be more dangerous than most holidays. Super Bowl parties are usually indoors and can involve more households than a holiday meal. This year’s game is also happening when contagious new variants of the virus have begun to spread.

There is precedent for sporting events leading to outbreaks. Health officials in Los Angeles believe that gatherings to watch playoff games last fall involving the Lakers (who won the N.B.A. title) and Dodgers (who won the World Series) accelerated the virus’s surge in Southern California.

“Crowds of packed fans crammed into outdoor dining patios,” The Los Angeles Times explained last week, noting that gatherings often included unmasked people “chanting, singing or shouting.” The same story quotes Barbara Ferrer, the public health director of Los Angeles County: “Don’t organize a party at home. Don’t go to a Super Bowl party.”

The next several weeks feel especially important. Cases have been falling sharply, and the pace of vaccination — though still maddeningly slow — is picking up. We have reached a potential turning point, when Covid-19 deaths could start declining and never again reach their earlier highs.

But the variants present a huge risk. Behavior that was low-risk a few months ago may no longer be. Behavior that was already risky, like attending an indoor party, may be even more so.

“We need to double down,” Dr. Rebecca Wurtz of the University of Minnesota School of Public Health told me. “Here’s our chance to turn the corner, and we really need to seize it.”

the super bowl was not a super spreader!  just over 53 cases can be traced

this is why one needs to wait for the facts to come out before you get everyone all riled up.  it is super irresponsible to start a thread like this before we know anything.  could it have contributed to the spread of covid? maybe...but so could allowing tens of thousands of untested illegals into our country, putting them on buses and sending them throughout the country. 

we need our media to be as cutting and diligent as they were during previous admin.  instead, they are just fawning and slobbering over this stiff "cardboard cutout" of a potus and the american people are going to suffer.  i thought we were going to get the "truth" even if it was difficult to speak. 

umm, not from fox news so we good, eyn'a?

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/region-hillsborough/super-bowl-lv-was-not-a-covid-19-super-spreader-event-officials-say
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2021, 06:41:45 AM »
Always entertaining, Rudy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2021, 06:53:43 AM »

this is why one needs to wait for the facts to come out before you get everyone all riled up.  it is super irresponsible to start a thread like this before we know anything.  could it have contributed to the spread of covid? maybe...but so could allowing tens of thousands of untested illegals into our country, putting them on buses and sending them throughout the country. 

we need our media to be as cutting and diligent as they were during previous admin.  instead, they are just fawning and slobbering over this stiff "cardboard cutout" of a potus and the american people are going to suffer.  i thought we were going to get the "truth" even if it was difficult to speak. 

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/region-hillsborough/super-bowl-lv-was-not-a-covid-19-super-spreader-event-officials-say

It is irresponsible to start a thread about something that MAY happen.  But it is completely responsible to continue to post about COVID treatments long after they've been proven ineffective.  Do I have that right?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2021, 07:01:32 AM »

Um....how are American people suffering?

**Hospitalizations and deaths going down
**Vaccine distribution problems have largely been solved and every adult who wants a vaccine will be vaccinated by the end of May
**Massive relief bill should prop up the economy and support those who most need the support until this is largely over.

Compare and contrast to the end of the previous administration where case rates, hospitalizations and deaths were continuing to rise, vaccines were being approved but had no clear distribution plan, and relief bills were stalled in Congress.

There is a reason why the Presidency and the Senate turned blue.  It wasn't the media.  It wasn't voter fraud.  (LOL)  It's because the administration mismanaged the pandemic and the Senate was seen as an impediment to getting people the relief they needed.

Americans are going to be suffering a lot less very soon.  And if Biden is nothing but a cardboard cutout, that's even more damning that he has been more effective than the living, breathing guy occupying the office for the last four years.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2021, 07:24:20 AM »
And if Biden is nothing but a cardboard cutout, that's even more damning that he has been more effective than the living, breathing guy occupying the office for the last four years.

^^^This.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2021, 07:56:27 AM »
And if Biden is nothing but a cardboard cutout, that's even more damning that he has been more effective than the living, breathing guy occupying the office for the last four years.

Breathing.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 08:05:51 AM by Retire0 »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2021, 09:11:22 AM »

Um....how are American people suffering?

**Hospitalizations and deaths going down
**Vaccine distribution problems have largely been solved and every adult who wants a vaccine will be vaccinated by the end of May
**Massive relief bill should prop up the economy and support those who most need the support until this is largely over.

Compare and contrast to the end of the previous administration where case rates, hospitalizations and deaths were continuing to rise, vaccines were being approved but had no clear distribution plan, and relief bills were stalled in Congress.

There is a reason why the Presidency and the Senate turned blue.  It wasn't the media.  It wasn't voter fraud.  (LOL)  It's because the administration mismanaged the pandemic and the Senate was seen as an impediment to getting people the relief they needed.

Americans are going to be suffering a lot less very soon.  And if Biden is nothing but a cardboard cutout, that's even more damning that he has been more effective than the living, breathing guy occupying the office for the last four years.

He's referring to the immigrants. Not the virus

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2021, 03:52:06 PM »

guzzling bleach again?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2021, 05:23:05 PM »
Not to mention, the Superbowl's attendance was 22k people, and half of them were health care workers who had been vaccinated. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2021, 05:40:47 PM »
And the worry wasn't the game itself. It was all the Super Bowl parties around the country.

If the cases, hospitalizations and deaths weren't as high as expected, perhaps it's because there were fewer parties and/or more caution at parties. That's a GOOD thing.

Unlike the horrible toll of Xmas and, especially, Thanksgiving.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2021, 07:05:47 PM »
Where is the Troy brings pizza into apartment in flames gif?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2021, 12:42:34 AM »
Not to mention, the Superbowl's attendance was 22k people, and half of them were health care workers who had been vaccinated.

source??

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2021, 06:14:03 AM »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2021, 08:33:10 AM »
It wasn't half, but this is literally the first article that came up on a Google search

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-to-give-7-500-vaccinated-health-care-workers-free-tickets-to-super-bowl-lv
you're right fluff-and silly me, i forgot about this interview i happened to catch on cnn the week before LV

woldblitzkrieg: out of 25,000 superbowl LV in attendance, there is reported to be a few hundred vaccinated healthcare workers in attendance, so lets circle back to doc fowski

wolf blitzkrieg: golly gee doc, you've been so wonderful throughout this pandemic being consistently spot on and the national "go to" epidemiologist nonetheless.  will this scaled back superbowl with 25,000 in the crowd and of those attending, approximately 2% will have been immunized.  are we safe or is this another one of those countless events so many of us label as "superspreader" and then are of course wrong and not have the balls to come back and correct our opinions or say we were wrong...oh and i just love your tie, where did you get that if you don't mind me asking

doc fowski: my tie?  oh, i get 5 or 6 at a time right on amazon.  look for that little label "amazon's choice".  in any event wolf, this one, the superbowl LV being in florida and you know how much we all hate desantis, and christie noem, but that's a different story, this event should not be held unless they are wearing 3-4 masks and they all immerse their hands in hand sanitizer soaked gloves with and a fully sealed body suit.  and even then, i'm afraid it wont be enough.  we should be outfitting every man, woman and child this way until at least Christmas and for heavens sake, follow the science and keep those schools closed.  those little dickens just love the vitual methods plus they can still play grand theft auto off to the side getting those nasty dr seuss books out of their hands

wolf blitkrieg-wow doc, thanks for that.  and did i say how much we think you are the best? before you leave, can i have you sign these people and vogue magazines.  my wife and kids are such big fans...  but back to the "super spreader LV.  as most of us here are on the right side of this issue and care so much for people, human traffickers aside, do you think this event should still be held? ron desantis, that pr!ck we can't stand because he keeps proving us wrong, there has got to be an explosion of positive cases coming from this one  i just walked past don lemon's office and he is in tears about this,  i was going to get brian stelter in here to add to the mix but he still can't find his pants

doc fowski: put me down wolfie as not wanting to come back to say i told ya so, but if all goes better than we predicted again, just have another story ready for me so we can just chalk this one up as another ooopsie doopsie and put it away never to have to reference again and circle back to the areas like new york where gov fredo has done what he and gov whitmer have provided the models we wish all states would have undertaken.  we can't underestimate those nasty nasty variants which are like the original virus, but on steroids.  so i can't see us getting out of this anytime soon.  maybe it's our new normal into the next election

wolf blitzkrieg: thank you so much doc and if you could, on your way out, console don back there and maybe give brian a pair of your pants for us.  we are all trying to "un-see" that shot of him trying to do his best jeffrey toobin imitation hitting on chicks who happen by

so there you have it, superbowl LV is going to be a "superspreader" and if by some weird chance it doesn't, well, we're the media and we can move onto other things to distract you from the border disaster happening right now.  we need to allow a few hundred thousand in and until they start to affect the area around my home, it's not news.  otherwise suck it

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2021, 09:01:38 AM »
wut

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2021, 09:11:14 AM »
Thanks, Rudy.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2021, 10:53:32 AM »
That was a HOF Scoop post. Just majestic

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2021, 11:26:40 AM »

It's unfortunate twitter has a character limit.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2021, 02:49:48 PM »
I couldn’t bring myself to try to read it.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2021, 03:46:23 PM »
I was thinking more "Aging Healthcare 'Professional' Writes Fanfic Based on Fox News Disinformation".
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2021, 04:00:18 PM »
I was thinking more "Aging Healthcare 'Professional' Writes Fanfic Based on Fox News Disinformation".

I was thinking more like My Dad Wrote a Porno

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2021, 04:09:42 PM »
Did MU Dental School teach you to make fun of people’s names when you don’t have anything of substance to say?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2021, 08:04:03 PM »
Did MU Dental School teach you to make fun of people’s names when you don’t have anything of substance to say?

That was learned from the 45th President.

feedback